Author Topic: #1125/1126: Robservations 09/29/03: A Headless Body; a Jeweled Mask  (Read 1306 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1125- Desmond feverishly writes down Green's clues--the noose, an unmarked stone, the ring, the stairs!  What does it all mean?  Why did you have to die before you could tell me? he demands of the dead Otis Green.  At the foot of the hill, direct line, unmarked stone!  Desmond gazes hatefully at the head--I will find out what it means before the night is over, he vows--I'll know.  Hearing Leticia enter, he tries to prevent her from discovering old Otis, but she sees him, screams, and asks, Oh, Lord, what have you gone and done, Desmond?"  He looks very guilty.

Why did you do it? she asks.  Get out of here, he orders.  Who is he? asks Leticia.  His name is Otis Green, says Desmond.  Is he dead? she asks.  Yes, he says.  It wasn't you done it at all, she assures him, and herself--it was that awful thing you have here!  What thing? asks Desmond--I don't know what you're talking about.  I saw it here, she admits, I came back down while you was out.  You did what? he asks, furious.  It's no good trying to hide it from me anymore, she says, because I know all about it!  She pulls open the curtains and reveals the head.  I uncovered it, she says, and looked at it.  You shouldn't have done that, he says.  Didn't I tell you I felt evil in this room? she asks, and I was right, wasn't I?
--and now it's killed that poor old man.  He died of a heart attack, says Desmond, I must tell his family.  He didn't die of no heart attack! she rails, he died of fear, he did--fear of that awful thing!--why did you ever bring it here, it can kill you, too, you know that, don't you?  Nothing is going to happen to me, he assures her, but he seems miles away from the fun-loving guy we met.  You're wrong! she says--it's already begun to happen--you're afraid of it just like Green was--there's something it wants you to do, and you're afraid not to do it.  You just stop talking like that! he says, pointing a finger at her.  Let me help you, she begs--I don't want no harm to come to you.  Maybe you can help me, says Desmond--this man, before he died, told me something, but I don't know what it means--it concerns something very important that I must find.  What is it? she asks.  I can't tell you, he says, it's a secret.  Her voice rises; she points accusingly at the head and says, you can't tell me because that THING wants you to find it!  That's not true! he cries, turning away.  Why don't you understand how evil this is? she asks--you must get free of it before it does something horrible to you.  He takes her hands in his--I need your help, he says.  Can't you see? she asks, it's already begun to change you--you're not like you was when I first met you--it would be wrong for me to help you and I won't do it.  He grabs her painfully--all right, don't help me! he says, then explodes--but don't tell anyone, either--do you understand?  Horrified by the change in him, she runs from the room.

Collinwood drawing room - Leticia enters.  Only Gerard is there.  All alone, are you? she asks coldly.  So you finally decided to talk to me again, he says.  But not to forgive you, she says, not likely--sarcastically, she adds, where's your sweetheart?  She went to Boston to be with her son, he says--what are you doing here, anyway?  I'm here to see you, she says.  So, you want something from me, he says--I never knew you to turn off your temper so easily--what's the matter?  I don't want to stay at Rose Cottage anymore, she says, it frightens me--I want you to take me somewhere else.  Frightens you? asks Gerard, what are you talking about?  There's been a definite change she says, there's an evil spirit there, I can feel it.  He starts to laugh.  Don't laugh at me! she orders--I feel it, you have to believe me--I want to go someplace else--if I ever meant anything to you at all, you must help me now--she goes into his arms--please, she begs, as he caresses her hair.  Gabriel enters and says my, my, your sympathetic shoulder is always available, isn't it, Mr. Stiles?  (I love this guy!)

Gerard and Gabriel glare at each other.  Leticia, everything will be all right now, says Gerard--go back to Rose Cottage.  Don't make me go there, she begs.  Do as I say, he commands--I'll be there as soon as I can--go along, now.  She leaves.  Gabriel, you have a talent for coming into the room at exactly the wrong time, remarks Gerard.  Or exactly the right time, counters Gabriel, it depends on how you look at it, Mr. Stiles.  Leticia and I are friends, that's all, says Gerard.  Don't be upset, says Gabriel--I won't mention it to SAMANTHA.  How can I ever thank you? asks Gerard sarcastically.  Are you going to move to Rose Cottage, pending the outcome of his marital mess? Asks Gabriel.  I have, says Gerard.  What are you doing here? demands Gabriel.  So I'm not allowed to be on these premises? asks Gerard.  Gabriel grins--my dear brother Quentin took quite affront of you, didn't he?--you thought when he returned, he'd claim her for his own--you never thought he'd leave the decision up to her, did you, and now you're scared to death that she's going to choose you--he laughs--I find that highly amusing.  What makes you think that I don't want Samantha to choose me? asks Gerard.  Do you think I'm an idiot? demands Gabriel, his laughter gone, don't you think I know why you married Samantha?  Because I love her, says Gerard.  You love her money, says Gerard, that's all you're capable of loving--100 percent is better than 10 percent no matter how you look at it--what a masterful job you've done of outsmarting yourself!  Gabriel laughs again, then continues--here you are, married to a woman--another man's wife--and you don't even love her, you think nothing of her, and you're worried, as you should be, that you'll end up saddled with her for the rest of your life!  Are you quite finished? Gerard coldly asks.  I haven't even gotten to the best part yet, says Gabriel--what Samantha's decision will be.  You don't even know that yourself, says Gerard.  Would you care to place a small wager, asks Gabriel--say, a thousand dollars?  I don't even have that much, says Gerard.  I don't need it, says Gabriel, I can't lose--because I guarantee you, she'll choose YOU--sort of jolts you, doesn't it?  Gerard grins, then shrugs his shoulders--why should it? he asks--I hope Samantha does choose me--however, I can't believe she would ever leave Quentin and everything she has here. You'd better start believing it, advises Gabriel--because she doesn't love Quentin--she never has--the only reason she stayed with him is because of Tad--but now you've given her the golden opportunity--you've given her love at last--and I hope the two of you will be very happy--you two deserve each other!  Gerard stops him as he's about to wheel himself out, and asks, Gabriel, might I make a little confession to you?--whether you believe it or not--I do love Samantha very, very much--and even if I didn't, I would ask her to marry me--not because of the money, but because of YOU.  Because of me? asks Gabriel.  I would do anything to see you squirm, says Gerard, I would do anything to prevent you getting one single penny from Daniel Collins
--of all the rotten apples I've come across in my life, you are on the top!  (major diss!)  Gerard says, I do hope Samantha takes me, just to prove how wrong you are.  YOU LIAR! screams Gabriel, three times, after the departing Gerard.

Leticia returns to Rose Cottage and through the closed doors, hears Desmond mumbling the clues again, fretting over how many they are and what they mean.  He pulls open the doors, catches her there, drags her into the room and accuses her of eavesdropping.  I couldn't help hearing your voice when I passed by! she says.  How much did you hear? he asks.  What I heard didn't make no sense to me, she says, it and what you're doing makes no sense, either--where is the body?  His son came and took it away, says Desmond--where have you been?  I just went out for a walk, she says.  Did you tell anyone what you saw here? he demands.  I didn't, I swear, she says--oh, Desmond, if you could see the look in your eye--you got the devil in you--that thing is making you do things you don't want to do--you've got to take it away before it's too late.  I have no time to waste on you! he rages, and leaves the house.  She opens the curtains--you must be gotten out of this house, put away, she tells the head--someplace you can't harm anyone ever again!

Collinwood - Gabriel looks into the fire.  Desmond enters--I'm glad you're here, he says--I need to talk to you, I need your help.  If it's financial help...says Gabriel, shaking his head.  No, I don't need money, says Desmond, I need the help of a good mind.  You flatter me, says a pleased Gabriel.  You know this area better than I do, notes Desmond--this evening a man named Otis Green came to Rose Cottage and tried to tell me something, but he died before he could, he had a heart attack.  Right there in Rose Cottage? asks Gabriel.  Yes, says Desmond.  What was he trying to tell you? asks Gabriel.  The location of something very important, says Desmond.  What? asks Gabriel.  I have no way of knowing until I figure out Green's last words, insists Desmond, but they were so cryptic, I don't understand--perhaps you can help me figure them out--I'd be grateful if you'll at least try.  How grateful? asks Gabriel, eyes a-gleam--tell me what's in it for me.  Just a minute, I came here asking you a favor, says Desmond.  I think there's something you aren't telling me, says Gabriel.  I swear it, says Desmond.  Tell me this, says Gabriel
--if you don't know what you're looking for, why is it that you're going to such lengths top find it?--it must be very important.  YES IT...begins Desmond, in a near-scream, but he calms himself down and says, this is only a feeling I have, I could be wrong.  All right, suppose we pursue Mr. Green's dying words, says Gabriel, then we'll go on.  Desmond takes a paper from his pocket and shows it to Gabriel, who examines the paper.  This ring intrigues me, Gabriel says--Mr. Green might be talking of missing jewelry, or buried treasure--in which case I would be very interested.  What about the other clues? asks Desmond.  At the foot of the hill, reads Gabriel.  There are many hills around here, says Desmond, you could be...  Be quiet and listen, says Gabriel--I have a hunch, but I could be completely wrong.  Tell me, man! urges Desmond.  Don't interrupt me, don't be so impatient, insists Gabriel--let's discuss business first, hm?--if I am right, and you do find something of value, we split 50/50, right?  Of course, says Desmond hastily, it's only fair--now tell me your hunch.  I believe Mr. Green is talking about Gallows Hill, says Gabriel--on the top of the hill is a scaffold and noose, commemorating the witches' trial, and at the foot of the hill, a cemetery, and there you will find, I think, your unmarked stone.  He triumphantly hands the paper back to Desmond, who eagerly asks, what about the rest of it?--the noose, the stairs!  I've given you enough, says Gabriel you can take it from there--go to Gallows Hill and see if I'm right or wrong.  Desmond leaves.  Gabriel smiles, contemplating the riches this might bring him.

Gerard finds Leticia sitting in a chair, staring into the fire at Rose Cottage.  Do you feel a little better? he asks.  Look who wants something now, she says.  I can't hide it, he admits, I do.  And what might it be? she asks.  I'll be honest, he says--the suspense is killing me--I must find out what the future holds for me!  She looks at him and asks, "You want me to tell you?"  Yes, he says forcefully, then adds, "Please."  You weren't willing to help me at Collinwood, she says, I don't believe I'll help you now.  I would help you, he says but you wouldn't tell me anything--I'll help you now, if you want to say anything to me.  It's all right, luv, she says, I don't need your help now--you'll just have to manage your little problem by yourself.  Now, you don't mean that, he says.  Yes I do, she insists--you haven't treated me right, Gerard.  He puts his hands on her shoulder, calls her "my darling"--Leticia, you really don't believe I'm in love with Samantha, do you? he asks, caressing her face.  Why did you marry her? asks Leticia.  For the future, he says, I had plans for the future which included you--he touches her mouth--you know how I feel about you--he begins to kiss her neck.  I don't believe you, she says sadly--now that Quentin's ruined everything for you, I believe you'd tell me anything to work my favors--I'm not having it--not a bit of it!  I can't believe you could talk this way to me after all we've been through, he says.  Don't start making me feel sorry for you, she says.  He smiles--my feelings for you will never change, he says. He tries to caress her face again, but she throws his hand off, saying, in a ragged voice, I don't want to hear that speech again, I know it by heart--I'd rather help you than listen to it again.  I knew you would! he says, thrilled, kissing her shoulder and hugging her.  Stay away from me, she orders, walking out of his embrace.  She takes a crystal ball, puts it on the table and sits in front of it.  What do you see? He asks.  Be quiet, she says--there's an image forming...  She gazes into the crystal ball.  I see you, and a woman, she says, her back is to you, and she's talking to you.  Samantha! he guesses.  You are listening very intently to what she's saying, says Leticia--a strange look is coming out of your face and you're turning away--the woman has said something to you that's made you terribly unhappy--can't tell whether she chose you or rejected you--but suppose you tell me, Gerard--which one would make you unhappy?

Desmond, delighted, has located the noose on Gallows Hill.  A storm rages above him.  I'm in a direct line with it, he realizes--now, if Gabriel's right, I just keep walking until I come to the unmarked stone.  Desmond finds a blank stone and examines the earth around it.  He finds a ring set into a footstone and pulls it, wondering about the stairs clue.  A hole yawns open in the earth.  Desmond walks down leaf-strewn stairs into it.  Down in a room carved into the earth, he finds a coffin, topped with a giant cross.  He opens he head of it and finds a jewel-encrusted gold mask.
Desmond's eyes go huge at this astounding find.

NOTES:  A hole in the earth, a coffin, a jeweled mask--perhaps Gabriel is right, and untold riches hide here.  But the rest--brrrr!

Gerard has a way with all the ladies, doesn't he?  Look at the way he got poor Leticia, who is already pissed at him for marrying Samantha, to read his future.  He probably romanced Samantha in a similar manner.  Clearly, the guy is an accomplished seducer.

Desmond has gone loony, but sometimes he still seems like himself.  Will he end up dead like Ben and Otis?  He doesn't seem to care; the head has taken possession of him and that bodes ill for his future.

1126 - Desmond gazes down at the ornate jeweled mask.  Jewels! he exclaims, examining the huge wooden cross covering the casket.  He tries to move it, but can't, and decides to leave to get help.  Before doing so, he closes the cover over the mask.  Outside, Desmond pulls the ring, once again hiding the opening into the underground crypt.

Rose Cottage - Gerard sits before the crystal ball, agitating over why Leticia couldn't see which man Samantha was going to choose.  Flora interrupts--are you trying to read your own future? she asks.  He smiles--I see nothing but  happiness, he says.  I hope that's true, she says.  He takes her hand--who could deny me anything? he asks.  A woman with a husband and a child, answers Flora.  Depressed, he rises from the chair.  Dear Gerard--you love her so much? inquires Flora sympathetically.  He nods, rubbing his hands together--Samantha must remain with Quentin, he says. Yes, agrees Flora, you must be prepared for it--of course you'll stay on here with us, won't you?--after Samantha tells you her choice?  She takes his hand.  Gerard seriously says, your son resents my being in this house.  Nonsense, insists Flora.  No, says Gerard, I'm not imagining it--Desmond does not like me here.  I will see to him, Flora promises, now sounding more like Judith than the flighty Flora--don't worry--I can handle Desmond.  She hugs Gerard.  Thank you so much, he says, and they hug again.  I beg your pardon, says Trask from the doorway. Has someone died? asks Flora--you do look so mournful.  If I do, says Trask, it's because I'm under considerable stress.  I'm sorry to hear that, says Flora--in this house we always combat stress with levity--what can I do for you?  Somberly, Trask says, I must speak with Leticia Faye.  She's resting now, says Flora.  Wake her, if you will, says Trask, it's most important.  Gerard listens.  I didn't know you'd even met, says Flora.  Yes, indeed, he says, a most fateful meeting--she has changed my life, opened a new door to me--a door to the hidden past--I must find out what is through that door--only she can tell me.  Gerard looks disturbed.

Leticia opened a new door, says Flora, speaking to Gerard, and she never even told us--she introduces the two men--Gerard, Trask, from the Trask Memorial Chapel.  At your service, sir, says Trask, bowing.  I hope not yet, please, thank you, says Gerard.  Give Miss Faye my message, please, says Trask.  Of course, Flora assures him, exiting.  Mr. Stiles, are you responsible for bringing Miss Faye to this establishment? asks Trask.  Yes, says Gerard, I am.  She has many powers which should be used for the good of man, says Trask.  I'm sure she would agree with you there, says Gerard.  Do you know if Barnabas Collins has talked with her recently? asks Trask.  Why would he? wonders Gerard.. There are many things, perhaps, that Barnabas Collins doesn't want brought to light, says Trask--he might try to dissuade her from doing what she should consider her duty--my father's last remains must be found!--you seem a good judge of character--what is you opinion of Barnabas Collins?  I have made none, sir, replies Gerard.  You are in an excellent position to find out much about him, says Trask.  Only if it is worth my while, says Gerard.  It can be, says Trask. Smiling, Gerard praises Trask's simplicity.  Then we do understand each other, grins Trask.  I do find Barnabas Collins quite odd, says Gerard--there are certain questions that lie unanswered about him.  I can answer one of them for you, says Trask--he told me he came from England on a certain boat--but there is no Barnabas Collins on the passenger list--why did he lie?  I have no idea, says Gerard--however, I could guess for you.  I'm not interested in guesses, says Trask--fact is what I pay for.
Then I shall go out, sir, and get the facts, promises Gerard.  Flora returns--Leticia isn't in her room, Mr. Trask--I hope she didn't go out in that storm.  I'm surprised she's gone out at all, considering the vicious attacks in the village, says Trask.  Flora, you must not worry, says Gerard--no harm can come to Leticia.  I tend to agree with you, says Trask--our maker tends to look after those whose eyes are as his own (he gestures to heaven)--would it be inconvenient if I wait? Trask asks Flora.  She smiles graciously, not at all, she says--you two shall have tea and I shall have a brandy (LOL)!

At the tavern, Desmond finds Tim, a drunken sailor, sleeping slumped over the table.  He shakes him awake and waves a coin in his face--do you know what this is?  Twenty dollars, responds Tim.  You've still got your faculties--good, says Desmond--do you want this, Tim?--do you?  Tim, reaching for the coin, asks what do you want me to do?
Triumphantly, Desmond closes his hand over it and snatches it away, grinning wickedly at him.

Desmond holds out the coin--that's right, he says, 20 dollars, but what I want you to do you may not like.  You want somebody beat up--is that it? asks Tim--you Collinses ain't got no reason to want me to steal anything.  No, says Desmond--this is an errand of mercy.  Just lay it out, commands Tim.  Desmond rises and slaps Tim on the back--come on! he urges.  Tim grabs Desmond's shirtfront--I've got to know what it is, he insists.  No questions, now or afterwards, growls Desmond, and sits down again--if you're going to do this, he warns, you'll never be able to tell anyone--you game?  Maybe I'd better have another drink first, suggests Tim.  Oh, no, I want you sober for this, warns Desmond--you don't need anymore.  I say I do! insists Tim, sweat running from his eyes, messing up his makeup--you want me to come with you, you better buy it for me.  Desmond signals to the barmaid and gestures to Tim's tankard on the table--just one, Tim.  Where do we have to go to do this? asks Tim.  The Gallows Hill Cemetery, says Desmond, right near the town of Bedford.  The barmaid brings over another drink.  An errand of mercy? asks Tim, in a cemetery that hasn't been used in centuries?  Desmond slams his hand on the table, angry, and says, "I told you no questions--I thought I could trust you!"  He stands as if to leave.  So does Tim, prying the coin from his hand--you can, he assures him--you can!  Then come on, orders Desmond.  Tim drains his tankard and follows Desmond out of the tavern.

Flora and Gerard sit sipping tea at the table while Trask paces, wondering where Leticia could have gone.  The dear child has no sense of time, says Flora.  Fortunately, says Trask, she has other, far more important senses.  I'm glad to see she has made a convert out of you, remarks Gerard.  A convert? asks Trask--hardly a word I would choose, sir--she is merely aiding me to implement our maker's will.  It sounds so fascinating, trills Flora--whatever did she do for you?  She had a vision, explains Trask--my late father, an esteemed man of the cloth, disappeared in 1797--he was last seen as he entered the gates of Collinwood--I am convinced he was the victim of foul play--Miss Faye corroborated my opinion--when I asked her to locate my father's last remains, she had a vision of the Old House.  That is where the original Barnabas lived, says Flora, before the main house was built.  That's true, says Trask true, but I do think he had something to do with it.  You don't think he had something to do with it? asks Flora.  What I think is my business, says Trask.  I've always been told that Barnabas was a very gentle man, says Flora--even Daniel told me the original Barnabas was remarkably like his son.  Then I feel that I must warn you to beware of Barnabas Collins, says Trask, for he is here for a reason--what it is, I know not, but when I went to the Old House, following Miss Faye's vision, he refused to let me search, though he knew I wanted nothing more than my father's earthly remains!  I can't imagine why he would object to your finding them, says Flora.  He has a reason, says Trask--unknown, but it exists.  There is no reason for it to be unknown, says Gerard--none at all--if you would like to speak with the spirit of your father, says Gerard, I can perform a seance.  That's a marvelous idea! coos Flora, of course, we'll do it.  What do you know of such things? asks Trask, awed.  I have sat with Leticia many, many times, says Gerard--I am quite well versed in the ritual, believe me--this mystery interests me as much as it does you.

Tim and Desmond have arrived at Gallows Hill Cemetery.  Thunder crashes.  Maybe this ain't a good idea, suggests Tim.  You're not scared, are you? taunts Desmond.  You won't tell me what we're doing, Tim reminds him--this ain't like you, Desmond.  I've changed, Tim, says Desmond; as lightning illuminates his face, we can see just how much.  Desmond opens the panel in the ground.  Looking down at it, face shaking, Tim asks, "What's that?"  Go down the stairs and see! says Desmond.  Into a grave? asks Tim.  Desmond laughs--it's not just a grave, he assures him--come downstairs and see for yourself.  We hear footsteps coming into the tomb, Tim's voice echoing as he asks Desmond, is this real?  It sure is! says Desmond.  Why would anybody build all this? asks Tim, eying the huge cross topping the casket.  I told you back at the bar, no questions! says Desmond--we've got to get that coffin back to my house.  We can't carry it, insists Tim--it's too far, we'll be seen--how are we going to explain carrying a coffin around? (Seems to me that won't be so difficult in Collinsport.)  On my way out to the livery stable, I hired a cart, says Desmond--but we must get that cross off that coffin first--now you start.  Tim looks at him, asking, face shivering, "You're going to leave me?"  You've got nerve to do anything, encourages Desmond--haven't you, Tim?--right?  Right, agrees Tim.  Nothing's going to happen to you here, says Desmond--I'll be back soon--you aren't going to run out on me, are you, Tim?  No, the other man says, I said I'd do it and I will.  All right, says Desmond, and leaves the tomb.  Tim grabs hold of the cross, then notices the hinged top of the coffin and opens it.  He finds the jeweled mask.  Diamonds, emeralds! he exclaims, his face alight with greed.

Aloud, Tim says, "This must be worth a fortune--if I could just get my hands on it!"  He again grabs hold of the cross.

Reverend Trask! calls Gerard, as he, Flora and Trask hold hands in proper seance formation around the table.  A single candle sits on the table.  Reverend Trask, is your spirit at rest? asks Gerard--there is a person here who wishes to speak to you--your son, Lamar--he has come here to speak with you and to avenge your death--speak to us, Reverend Trask, speak and show us the way to your grave--speak so that justice can be done--speak!  Justice...justice, says Reverend Trask's voice, causing Lamar's eyes to grow huge.
Father! cries Trask.  If you are here now, intones Gerard, appear to us now!  Evil! calls Reverend Trask--evil, evil in this room!  Where, Father?--tell us! begs Trask.  Yes, agrees Gerard--tell us!  A glowing light on the wall is apparently Reverend Trask, who, says, I can feel evil!--you are surrounded by evil!  We see the back of the head in the glass case.  Father, who murdered you? asks Lamar--name him for me--tell me what I must know!  The cross!--the cross! says Reverend Trask--beware the cross!

With great effort, Tim has finally removed the giant cross from the top of the casket.

Back at Flora's, the doors blow open by themselves; a piece of statuary falls to the floor and shatters.  Flora starts to stand.  No! cries Gerard--no, no!  She sits back down again.  The circle must not be broken, insists Gerard--you are here, show yourself!  Evil is joining evil! warns Reverend Trask, evil will walk again--evil will walk again, now!  We see the head, eyes closed, through the curtains.

Tim slams a rock down on the coffin.

Gerard turns the lamp back on--we have learned no more this evening, he laments to Trask and Flora--whatever evil he was talking about, he didn't want the seance to continue--it is finished--but what is starting?

A body lies in the casket, the mask appearing to be its face.  A fortune, says Tim reverently, a fortune--and it's all mine!  He lifts the priceless mask, gazes down at the body and gasps,  "My God, there's no head!" he says.                                  

We must continue with the seance, insists Trask--we must discover the evil.  I'm sorry, says Gerard, it is all over, it's too late!  We must try, we must, says Trask.

Tim holds the mask in his hands.  Mine--a fortune, and it's all mine! he exults.  He turns around and suddenly drops the mask.  No! he cries, trying to stave off something attacking him with a chunk of stone.
A hand reaches out of the grave.  The headless body rises from the hole, climbing out, reaching, searching. . .

NOTES:  We see that the drunken guy Desmond used to help him was named Tim Braithwaite, so it appears that yet another Braithwaite has fallen victim to a supernatural Collins scheme.  I can't imagine that Tim is still amongst the living.  Like Willie Loomis, he learned that greed doesn't pay.  Why Desmond left him alone down there is a mystery, unless he knew exactly what would really happen to poor Tim and didn't want to witness it.

Lamar Trask wants to find out what happened to Daddy Trask, understandably, but the latter returned to warn them about the evil head, not reveal who killed him.  Gerard is so sure it's OVER, but why?  Did he gain some insight during the seance?  It would seem so.

Desmond seemed like such a nice guy when we first met him, but that head is doing things to him that are turning him evil.  Now the body has been freed, and surely it will come looking for its head.  What will happen if they come together?--what new evil will be unleashed at Collinwood?

Another delightful performance by Jerry Lacy.  He and Joan Bennett seemed to have some trouble with their lines during the pre-seance scene.  It was awkward and choppy.

Didn't it seem almost as if Trask interrupted an intimate embrace between Gerard and Flora?  He acted as if he had!  But it seems that everyone is having a bit of erotic fun except Trask!

Love, Robin