Author Topic: #0091/0092: Robservations 07/25/01: Garnering A Boyfriend  (Read 1181 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0091/0092: Robservations 07/25/01: Garnering A Boyfriend
« on: July 24, 2001, 07:31:31 PM »
Episode #91 - Up until last night, I had thought of this great house of Collinwood as a home. Then, one night, it became a prison, yet that one night of imprisonment might have given me a clue to my identity--the real reason why I was at Collinwood.

Vicki and Carolyn come downstairs. Vicki carries the ledger page she found upstairs. They enter the drawing room, and Vicki wonders aloud why the name B. Hanscomb on is so important to her. It's just a list of names with amounts of money opposite each one, points out Carolyn. Have you ever heard of any of these names? Questions Vicki, handing the sheet to her. Carolyn looks it over, mumbling the names and says nope. But you do know of Garner and Garner? Asks Vicki. They handle all Mother's legal affairs, says Carolyn. Betty Hanscomb, remembers Vicki--it's the name of the girl in the portrait at Sam Evans' house--she looked so much like me--even Maggie said so. Do you think there might be some connection? Asks Carolyn hopefully. There might be, agrees Vicki, equally hopeful--this could be what I've been searching for--it might even tell me who I am!

I don't understand, says Carolyn, sitting on the sofa--how can a name on an old ledger sheet tell you who you are? Vicki walks behind the sofa and says she doesn't know, but it's the only lead I've ever had. You saw a portrait that Sam Evans painted of a girl--and the girl looked like you, outlines Carolyn--and you think the name of the model was Betty Hanscomb--that doesn't add up to very much. Maybe you're right, agrees Vicki, but there's one way to verify part of it--call Sam Evans. She dials the phone. What can he tell you? asks Carolyn. Vicki has gotten Sam on the phone, and asks if he remembers the portrait of the girl who looks so much like her--would you happen to know her name--uh huh--would you happen to know if that's a nickname or a...good...no, that's all I wanted to know--thank you very much--goodbye. She hangs up and excitedly tells Carolyn, I was right--her name is Betty Hanscomb. And you think that's the same name that's on the ledger sheet? Asks Carolyn. It has to be, says Vicki--how many B. Hanscomb's can there be in Collinsport? What does that prove? Asks Carolyn. Don't you see? asks Vicki, sitting beside her on the sofa--she and I look so much alike, there must be some connection. You mean you think she might be your mother?--is that what you're trying to tell me? asks Carolyn. I don't know, admits Vicki, all I do know is there is a possibility that I have or did have some family here in Collinsport. Wouldn't that be wonderful? asks Carolyn. Yes, it would, says Vicki. Why don't you ask my mother? Carolyn suggests. It begins to thunder. No, whenever I ask her anything about my past, says Vicki, she becomes evasive.
Why? asks Carolyn. I don't know, says Vicki, but promise me you won't say anything about this Betty Hanscomb or anything. I promise, says Carolyn, but I still think you ought to ask mother. Ask me what? says Liz, entering the drawing room. Vicki stands and asks if she could have a couple of days off. Does that mean you've decided to stay on as David's tutor? Asks Liz, smiling. Yes, Mother, says Carolyn exultantly, grinning up at Vicki, isn't that great? I can't tell you how pleased I am, says Liz. So am I, says Vicki--he apologized to me and said he hadn't meant anything by it, (And you bought that?--remember the drowned kitten)--and he even asked me to stay--but I would like a few days off to try and forget about what happened. I don't blame you, says Liz. And I've got some shopping I'd like to do, too, says Vicki--I thought I'd go to Bangor, it's the nearest place. We have friends there, says Liz, I'm sure they'd be delighted to have you stay with them. Oh, no, says Vicki, thank you very much, but I'd rather stay in a hotel, be by myself. When would you go? asks Liz. If it's all right with you, I'd like to take a bus this afternoon. I'd be happy to drive you into town when you're ready to go, chimes in Carolyn. Vicki thanks her and says she'd better hurry, then leaves. It's wonderful that David convinced her not to leave? Carolyn tells her mother. Yes, it is, agrees Liz--it's also a little odd. Carolyn grins at her mother, then runs upstairs, calling to Vicki that she'll give her hand. Liz, alone in the drawing room, sits by the fire, looking uncertain and unhappy.

Collinsport - Carolyn and Vicki exit the convertible and go into the In restaurant. Vicki asks Carolyn to order her coffee; she wants to go into the lobby to check the bus schedule. Carolyn removes her coat and says sure, then asks Suzie for a couple of cups of coffee. Carolyn picks up the house phone and asks them to ring Burke's room, checking to make sure Vicki is busy elsewhere. Hello, she says, who did you expect to call--I'm downstairs in the hotel coffee shop--will you?--no, don't worry about that--I'll be glad to wait--bye. She hangs up, grinning, hangs her coat on a peg on the wall and asks Suzie to bring the coffee to the table. Vicki joins her and the waitress brings the coffee. The next bus doesn't leave for an hour, Vicki reports. Carolyn tells her she mustn't be too disappointed if nothing happens--it's a pretty slim lead. It might be slim, but it's the only lead I've ever had, points out Vicki. Wouldn't it be great if you found out you were from a very wealthy Bangor family speculates Carolyn romantically. Stop it, says Vicki, I went through all that in the foundling home--we used to dream about that the way other people dream about a fairy godmother. That's exactly what it would be like, says Carolyn--one wave of the magic wand, and presto change-o, you're rich and happy! She glances at the door and licks her lips. What will you do when you get to Bangor? Asks Carolyn--it will be dark by then. I'm going to check into a hotel, says Vicki, and first thing in the morning I'll call Garner and Garner for an appointment--do you know them? Carolyn drinks her coffee and says she's only met Richard Garner once--he's a very nice old man--I'm sure if he can help you, he'll be glad to. We'll see what happens, says Vicki. Will you call and let me know, either way? asks Carolyn. Vicki assures her she will--if she can. She sips her coffee. Burke enters the drawing room (he's in a turtleneck and jacket), and says this is a nice surprise. What do you mean? asks Carolyn. Finding two lovely young ladies in the coffee shop, says Burke. Quite a coincidence, isn't it? asks Vicki. Quite, agrees Burke--may I sit down? Please do, says Carolyn. What are you two girls doing in town? he asks, sitting. Vicki is on her way to Bangor to check out a slim clue about herself--she has no real evidence, says Carolyn. So, why are you going? asks Burke. Because there's a faint chance, says Vicki. As long as there's a faint chance, says Burke, you'll keep trying. Yes, says Vicki. Noting the connection between Vicki and Burke, Carolyn asks him if he knew that Vicki had seen Malloy's ghost. (She can be mean sometimes.) You saw what? asks Burke. I don't know what I saw, says Vicki uncomfortably, buy I did see something. You're going to Bangor today, says Burke, how are you going? By bus, says Vicki. Nonsense, insists Burke, I'm going there myself--why don't you drive along with me? Oh, no, demurs Vicki. The bus will be along in a few minutes, says Carolyn hastily. I insist, where is your luggage? Asks Burke. No, really, objects Vicki. I'm going there on business, anyway, he says. But, Burke, protests Carolyn. You must know that business always comes before pleasure, Burke tells Carolyn. I know, she says, upset, but I... Business first, then pleasure, says Burke firmly, and asks Vicki where her luggage is, so he can put it in his car. It's in Carolyn's car, says Vicki. I see, says Burke, taking Carolyn's key from the table, I'll have someone transfer it--if you've no objections. How can I? asks Vicki. Good, says Burke, taking his coat and leaving. I certainly never thought you'd do a thing like that to me, says Carolyn spitefully--you must have known that I expected to see Burke this evening. I didn't know you had a date, says Vicki. I didn't have a date, says Carolyn, I just hoped...no you've spoiled the whole thing. Vicki puts a placating hand on Carolyn's wrist, but the latter pulls away. Never mind! she says angrily, go on to Bangor with him. Carolyn... says Vicki. Stop it! orders the blonde, I don't want your sympathy--do whatever you want to do.
Vicki gazes at her, unsure of what to do in the face of her friend's discontent and jealousy.

Vicki and Burke silently are driving in the storm to Bangor. He looks at her. So you think you might learn something about yourself in Bangor? asks Burke. I hope so, she says. Are you counting on it? he asks. Not too much, she says. Good, that's being sensible, he says--it would be kind of silly to get your hopes up over such a flimsy thing. How do you know it's flimsy? She asks. I didn't, he says, I'm only going by what you say. I didn't say anything, she says, sounding resentful. OK, he says, so I'm wrong. She apologizes, saying he's very kind to drive her all this distance, and she does appreciate it--it's just that... You don't trust me, he finishes. Oh, no, it's not that, she assures him. He smiles--well, at least that's encouraging, he says. She smiles back. I think we're in for a bad storm, he says--so what's all this about Bill Malloy's ghost? I'd rather not talk about it, she says. Why not? he asks. Some things are difficult to explain, she says, bit it doesn't mean you can't explain them--I know I saw Bill Malloy. She doesn't say anything else, and he looks at her.

The clock in Collinwood chimes, and Liz is playing the piano in the drawing room. The music stops when Carolyn comes rushing in and runs right upstairs, not even removing her coat. Carolyn? calls Liz. Carolyn angrily removes her coat and throws it on the sofa. What's the matter? asks Liz. It's a terrible night out, notes Carolyn--it looks like it's going to rain any minute. I don't think you're worried about whether it's going to rain or not, says Liz. No I'm not, admits Carolyn. Would you like to tell me what it is? asks Liz. It's really nothing, says Carolyn. You never act this way unless something's bothering you, says Liz. All right, says Carolyn, sitting on the bench beside her mother--I think I made a mistake about Vicki Winters, what's all. What sort of mistake? asks Liz. I'm not at all sure she ought to stay here at Collinwood, says Carolyn. Liz says, "Carolyn!", surprised. I don't care, says Carolyn, I know I said I was deliriously happy at her staying, but I could have made a mistake, couldn't I? In what way? asks Liz. I thought she was part of us, says Carolyn, almost one of the family. I still think so, says Liz. Well I don't, pouts Carolyn. Isn't this rather a sudden reversal on your part? asks Liz. I guess it is, says Carolyn, but when you find out something more about a person, you have a right to change your mind. You mean you learned something about Vicki that made you change your mind? asks Liz. (Yeah--that Burke likes Vicki more than he likes me.) Carolyn nods--yes, she says. If it's something that concerns the family, I think you ought to tell me, says Liz. Do I have to give a reason for the way I feel? demands Carolyn. Yes, I think you should, insists Liz--have you a valid reason for your sudden about-face that you don't want Vicki to stay at Collinwood? Carolyn rises and says, I just told you I have. As valid a reason as David has for deciding exactly the opposite? Asks Liz. Carolyn, playing with her hair, nods. To me it is, she tells her mother. I tried to question David, says Liz, and he was evasive--are you going to be the same way? Carolyn, heartbroken, turns and throws herself into her mother's embrace. Liz pats her shoulder.

Liz runs her fingers over Carolyn's chin and asks, "Darling, what in the world happened to upset you so?" She leads her daughter to the sofa--when you left here to drive Vicki into town, you were as happy as a lark. I know, says Carolyn, I was. Then something must have happened, says Liz, sitting next to her. I just want to just forget about it! says Carolyn. Can you forget about it? asks Liz. No, says Carolyn, tears in her voice, I can't. Then I think you'd better tell me what it is, says Liz. Thunder rolls. All right, I'll tell you, says Carolyn, it's about Miss Victoria Winters. I don't understand, says Liz. Of course you don't, says Carolyn, I don't, either--all I know is that this girl you trusted so much, that you practically begged to stay here at Collinwood--right now, she's with Burke Devlin. Vicki is with Burke? asks Liz, surprised. That's what I said, Carolyn tells her. I thought she went to Bangor for a few days. So did he, says Carolyn resentfully, and he's driving her there--and right this minute, she's probably sitting in his car, telling him everything she knows about the Collins family! (That is SO unfair, Carolyn!)
Liz looks perturbed.

Burke's car - The wipers lash rain off windows as Burke asks Vicki to tell him something. If I can, she says. Not if you can, if you will, he says. What is it? she asks. A long time ago, he says, I asked you where you stood in this mess--you told me you stood on your own two feet. I still do, she says. No false feeling of gratitude to the Collins family for rescuing you from that foundling home in New York? He asks. Some, but it's not false, she says. Fair enough, he says--what did Carolyn mean when she said you'd seen Bill Malloy's ghost? It all seems so silly now, says Vicki. When did it happen? asks Burke. David locked me in a room in the closed-off section of the house, she explains. He did what? he asks, amazed. He was trying to scare me, she says, it's not important except that I WAS scared. I know that house--I can imagine you were, says Burke--what about the ghost? Do you believe in ghosts? she asks him. No, he says. Neither do I, admits Vicki--that's why I was so scared--because I saw one, I swear I did. It looked like Bill Malloy? asks Burke. It WAS Bill Malloy, says Vicki. He's dead, says Burke. I know, she says--Burke, have you ever heard a song called "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor?" Burke nods--it was one of Bill's favorite songs. Well, this apparition or whatever you want to call it, started out by singing that song, she says. Then what? asks Burke. Then he warned me to leave Collinwood before I was killed the way he was. Bill Malloy told you he was killed? asks Burke. I don't know, says Vicki, maybe I dreamt the whole thing, I was asleep for a little while. Naturally, I don't believe in things like that, says Burke. Neither do I, says Vicki. But I believe you saw something, says Burke--and I think whatever you saw was trying to tell you the truth--someone was trying to tell you that Malloy was murdered by someone in Collinwood. It didn't say Collinwood, says Vicki, it said Collinsport--that includes quite a few many more people. Even me? he asks. I didn't mean that, she says. But it could, says Burke--why don't you get out of there?--get out of there and run away as fast and far as you can. I don't want to, she protests. Of course you don't, he says, you want to keep sticking your nose into other people's affairs until you can't pull it out--you want to bury yourself just like Roger--just like Sam Evans--sometimes I think it would be simpler to end the whole thing by taking the two of them and banging their heads together. You don't mean that, she says. I never meant anything more in my life! he says angrily. You couldn't! she says. Couldn't I? he asks--it might even give me more pleasure than trying to ruin the Collins family--no matter how I do it, you'd better pull your pretty little neck in before it gets snapped off, along with the rest of them.
Vicki stares at him, and he pushes his foot down more firmly on the accelerator. We'll be in Bangor in a few minutes, notes Vicki, gazing out the window--would you drop me off at the hotel? Sure, he says--and it'll be the safest landing you going to have in a long time. Vicki turns to look at his harsh profile.

NOTES: Carolyn calls Burke to come down and meet her in the coffee shop, and when he instead takes off with Vicki to Bangor, she's pissed--and tells her mother Vicki is consorting with the enemy. How childish--and lying by omission, too, since she didn't tell her mother SHE was the one who called Burke down to hang out with them. Carolyn really is selfish, and disloyal. Vicki needs better, more dependable friends.

Burke has warned Vicki about his evil intentions more than once. Now that she has verified that Malloy was probably murdered, something he already believes, he's ready to go great guns against the family. I actually prefer his idea of going after Roger and Sam, the true objects of his wrath. They sent him to prison and he suspects one of them killed Malloy. It would be a lot more fair to blame those directly responsible than to go after the entire family.

There is a definite spark between Vicki and Burke. They like each other a lot. Will it go further than friendship, and if so, what will it mean for the future of the family? Will Vicki learn anything more about B. Hanscomb and her possible connection to her?

Episode #92 - For the first time since I have come to live at Collinwood, I am away from the gloomy mansion I now call home, waiting to see a man who might be able to help me in my search for my identity.

Vicki, hair up, sits demurely on a sofa, waiting to get into the office of Richard Garner. The lawyer himself (who will one day portray Dr. Charles Tyler on ALL MY CHILDREN) sits at his desk, looking at a folder that says, "Collins-Stoddard." He hits his intercom and asks his secretary, Miss Partridge, to send in Miss Winters now. (Shirley Partridge, perhaps?) He opens the door to Vicki's knock and welcome her to Bangor, telling her this is an expected pleasure. You know who I am? she asks. Of course, he assures her. Then please tell me who am I? she asks anxiously. You're Victoria Winters, he replies, puzzled, the young lady Elizabeth Stoddard engaged to tutor her nephew, David. I mean who am I really? she asks. Sit down, he says, I'm sorry if I gave you a false impression--I know who you are now, but as to your past, I'm afraid I know as little about it as you do. Vicki looks downcast at this latest bit of bad news.

Garner sits down at his desk, explaining that Mrs. Stoddard has spoken to him about Vicki a number of times--she's very fond of you. I'm pleased to hear that, says Vicki. Now, he says, folding his hands on his desk, exactly what brings you to my office. I expect you know I was brought up in a foundling home in New York, says Vicki. Yes, he says, and to save you from having to repeat it, I can tell you I know everything about you that Mrs. Stoddard does. I wonder, she says, removing her coat--sometimes I get the feeling that Mrs. Stoddard knows more about me than she admits to. You mean that she's keeping something from you? he asks. It's just a feeling, she says. Why should she do anything like that? he asks. I don't know, she says, I'm probably making the whole thing up--but suppose my father turned out to be a convicted murderer, or insane? You're borrowing trouble, says Garner, it doesn't exist. You asked for a motive, says Vicki, and there's a perfectly good one--you said yourself she was fond of me. It's true I know she wouldn't willingly see you hurt, he says, on the other hand, I don't think she'd willingly keep information from you--you're entitled to any and all information that you want--that is, of course providing I can supply it. Vicki unfolds the ledger sheet she found. Where did you get this? he asks, guarded. I found it in Collinwood, she says. I see, he says. It has your firm's name on it, says Vicki. One of our firm's old ledger sheets, obviously, says Garner--will you tell me why it interest you? Well, says Vicki, walking around to stand beside him, there is a name on it--right there, B. Hanscomb. This is a very old ledger sheet, he says, was it in a book? No, says Vicki, it was in a pile of papers in a box. Did you notice if the box had a date on it? asks Garner. I'm afraid I didn't, says Vicki. It would have helped, he says. Do you know her name? asks Vicki. HER name? asks Garner. I know that at one point, there was a girl named Betty Hanscomb who lived in Collinsport. In that case, I'm afraid I can't be of any help after all, he says, the only Hanscomb I recall is the Collins' butler. The butler? Asks Vicki. You mustn't think Collinwood was always the way it is now, says Garner--it once took a large staff to run the place. Do you remember his name? asks Vicki. I haven't the vaguest notion, says Garner, he was always called Hanscomb. It began with a B, points out Vicki. Yes, so I see, says Garner, but I don't think I can remember--Burt, Ben, Brad?--no, no use. What is that list of names and the amounts of money opposite? Asks Vicki, sitting back down. Seems to be an old monthly wage list of the employees at Collinwood, he says. Were there that many? Asks Vicki. A large staff, he says, two chauffeurs, three cooks, upstairs maid, butler, housekeeper, gardeners, handyman--and on special occasions, they'd bring in a dozen extras to help--this must have been one of those times. It's hard to believe there was ever any real gaiety at Collinwood, remarks Vicki. Believe me, there was, he says, even after Elizabeth married Paul Stoddard--he rises. And it all stopped when he disappeared? Asks Vicki. Yes, says Garner, hands in pockets, I believe it was about that time. (Sounds evasive to me.) And that's when the servants were discharged? Asks Vicki. Approximately, he says, I told you, that was an old sheet. 18 years old? Asks Vicki. Could have been much more than that, he says, 20, 25 years--in those days, when an employee had a job at Collinwood, it was a job for life. Apparently not, seeing as they were all discharged, observes Vicki. I meant before then, he says. Do you think any of the others on that list might know about B. Hanscomb? Asks Vicki. Possibly, says Garner, but before you get your hopes up, I believe I should tell you all of them left Collinsport. All of them? asks Vicki, surprised.
To the best of my knowledge, he says. Do you know where any of them went? Asks Vicki. No, there was no reason to keep in touch, he says. Do you think your partner might know? asks Vicki--the other half of Garner and Garner? He smiles and tells her he rather doubts it. Could I ask him anyway? Requests Vicki. Garner hits the intercom and asks Frank to step in here a minute. Right away, says Frank. You seemed to indicate that all was not quite well at Collinwood, says Garner. You heard about Mr. Malloy's death, says Vicki. Yes, he very sad, he was a fine man, says Garner--how Elizabeth taking it? She was very upset, says Vicki, but I think she's accepted the fact that it was an accident. Frank enters, and Garner introduces him to Vicki--"My son, the other half of Garner and Garner." Vicki shakes his hand and young Frank smiles at her. Miss Winter comes from Collinwood, Garner tells his son, where she teaches young David. Frank says if there had been teachers like Miss Winters when he went to school, he might still be there. Thank you very much, she says, grinning, then tells Garner, Sr., that of course he couldn't know anything about it. On a 20-30 year old ledger, hardly, agrees Garner. But it did say Garner and Garner, says Vicki. At that time, the other half was my brother, says Garner, he died 5 years ago. Is there anything I can do to help? Frank asks Vicki, who replies that she's afraid there isn't anything anyone can do. Try me, invites Frank. (Is that like fly me?) He helps her to sit back down and sits in a chair across from her, clearly smitten already.

Richard Garner tells Frank that Miss Winters came to Bangor on a wild goose chase. How do you mean? Frank asks. Does he know about me? Vicki asks Richard. No, I don't believe he does, says Richard. It's a very long story, Mr. Garner, says Vicki. My father is Mr. Garner, my name's Frank, says junior. Frank, repeats Vicki, smiling. And I don't have anything in particular to do for the next 24 hours, says Frank. Unfortunately, I do, says Richard--I've got to be in court--how long do you expect to be in Bangor, Miss Winters? There doesn't seem to be much more point in my staying here, so I think I'll go back tonight, she says. In case I don't see you again, let me tell you what a great pleasure it's been to meet you, says Garner, shaking her hand--I can report to Mrs. Stoddard that she was most fortunate in her selection of a tutor for her nephew. Vicki thanks him very much. If you leave the office, Garner tells his son, tell Miss Partridge where I can reach you, hm? Garner, junior, moves his chair closer to Vicki's and asks what's all the mystery. It's very complicated, she says. OK, says Frank, would you care to tell me about it. It's about this sheet I found in Collinwood, she says, showing it to him. He looks it over. I see the firm's name is on it, he says, but it doesn't mean a thing to me. It was made out a little before your time, grins Vicki. What did Dad say about it? asks Frank. He said it was a monthly wage list from Collinwood when they had a lot of servants, she says. You're not kidding, says Frank, it looks like the Christmas list for the Waldorff Astoria. That was a long time ago, she says--since then, all the servants were dismissed and most of the rooms closed off--now there's only one caretaker to do the heavy work, that's all. I don't get it, he says, sitting in his father's chair. Neither do I, agrees Vicki. Does Dad know all this? Frank asks. Yes, she says, but that's not why I came here. OK, tell me, he says. I'm trying to find out who I am, says Vicki--when I was a baby, I was left on the steps of a foundling home, and I grew up there, always hoping to find out who my parents were--a short while ago, I came across the name B. Hanscomb, and I felt that I had some connection with her, and then it popped up here on this list. You asked Dad about it? queries Frank. Yes, he said it was the Collins butler, says Vicki. Anything more? He asks. Nope--he didn't know his first name or where he is now, says Vicki. He sighs and says this is a monthly wage list, so it shouldn't be too tough--there are still only 12 months in a year, aren't there?--even if we have to cover say, 20 years, that's only 240 lists--we go through the files. And you think there might be a record of this? she asks anxiously. The firm of Garner and Garner never throws anything away, he says. But how did you know you'd have something like that? she asks. He takes the paper and says this is a copy, so they must have the original stashed away someplace. And it might tell you something more? Asks Vicki. What you want to do is find out where B. Hanscomb is, right? he asks--all I have to do is look at the last list with his name on it and see if there is an address where that last check was sent--simple? You certainly make it sound simple, smiles Vicki. Where are you staying, the hotel? He asks. Yes, she says. Go back there and rest up, he advises, looking through the files of Garner and Garner is a dusty job--I'll let you know if I find anything. (He's a clean-cut sweetheart of a guy.) And if you don't find anything? she asks. I'd like to let you know anyway, if that's all right, he says, leading her to the door. I'd appreciate that, she says. I'd appreciate the opportunity, he says, and she gives him a flirtatious glance over her shoulder in reply. Frank hits the intercom and tells Miss Partridge to tell Emil Jones he's going to be tied up for lunch--and listen, see if you can't get the rest of the afternoon clear for me, too. He takes the ledger sheet in hand, smiles at the closed door, and puts his feet up on the desk.

Bangor Pine Hotel - Vicki enters the same fancy restaurant that once saw Carolyn lunching with Burke. She orders a grilled cheese sandwich and a cup of coffee from the waiter. Certainly, he says. She removes her coat. Burke Devlin enters and asks if might join her. You seem to have made up your mind to do it already, she says, how can I stop you? He tosses his coat in on the booth's seat and replies that she could say no and he would slink away, properly chastised. Sit down, she says, unfolding her napkin in her lap. No luck, huih? He asks. What do you mean? she asks. You told me you were coming to Bangor hoping to find some clue to your true identity, he reminds her--either you had no luck or you found it and don't like what you found. How can you tell? she asks. By looking into your eyes, he says--your eyes are a dead giveaway--one look and you know everything there is to know about you. I wish that were true, says Vicki--sometimes, I think there's a conspiracy against me every finding out who I am. Burke smiles--how can that be? he asks--surely you don't suspect the Collins family of keeping anything from you? I didn't, she says, until today. What happened today? He asks. Can I trust you? she asks. Why not? he asks, I trust me, and I'm a pretty tough guy to convince. You were making all sorts of threats on our drive up here, she says. I guess it might have sounded like a threat, he says gently, I didn't mean it to. What did you mean it to sound like? she asks. A warning, he says. A warning about what? she asks. If I tell you that, then it's going to sound like a threat again, he says. What is it you want it to sound like? asks Vicki. A friendly warning, he says. Why? she asks. Because I'd like to think we're friends, he says. I don't pretend to understand you for a minute, she says. Good, says Burke, that makes us even. Don't you understand yourself? she asks. No, but that isn't what I meant, he says--I understand myself very well, the person I don't understand is you. I don't see why it's so difficult to understand me, she says. You came up to Bangor on the flimsiest excuse in the world, says Burke, and it obviously didn't work out, isn't that right? Yes, she admits. You still can't bring yourself to admit the Collins family has anything to do with it, he says, with your disappointment. Why should they? asks Vicki, annoyed. You came here hoping to find some relationship between the unknown Victoria Winters and the Collins family, he says. No, that's not true, she insists. When eventually you do find out who you are, and I'm convinced you will, says Burke, I'm sure you'll find out you belong to people a lot finer than the Collins family could ever hope to be. Why do you say that? asks Vicki. Because you're a finer person than anyone in that family, he says. I suppose I should thank you for that, she says, a small grin on her face. No, you shouldn't, says Burke, because it's true. The waiter brings over Vicki's lunch, and she thanks him. I'll have a double... Burke starts to tell the waiter, then points to Vicki's plate and says he'll have the same thing--I was going to order a double drink, says Burke. Don't let me stop you, says Vicki. I thought I might drive back to Collinsport tonight, he says, can I give you a lift? You're very kind, she says. Not at all, he assures her, not anymore than I would be to a little stray kitten--because that's what you remind me of--a little stray kitten who can't find out who her mother and father might be--but there's one big difference--a kitten usually doesn't care. Is it so terrible I care? She asks. No, it's not, he says, and no matter how I sound, I care, too. She smiles. I'll be very happy to have you drive me back to Collinsport, she says. I've got a little business to attend to, he says, taking her hand on top of the table--I'll come get you later, where will you be--here at the hotel?
I have no place else to go, she says, staring down at his hand holding hers.

I think I'll be finished with my business about five or six, says Burke--will you be ready by then? As far as I'm concerned, she says, I'm ready to leave right now. I'm sorry that your trip wasn't successful, says Burke. Frank Garner has entered the restaurant. Burke still holds Vicki's hand. I should be used to it by now, says Vicki, drawing her hand out of his. Burke stands and Frank comes over and asks Vicki if he's interrupting. Not at all, she says, and introduces Burke to Frank. Garner and Garner, says Burke, shaking his hand. Legal and accounting, says Frank. Must be your father that I know, says Burke. Yes, says Frank, Richard Garner. Yes, he's the one, says Burke--good to meet you. Pleasure, says Frank, starting to apologize for interrupting. Burke assures him he's not, he was just leaving, and he was just telling Vicki that he has some business to take care of and was just going--see you later? he asks Vicki. Thank you, she says. My pleasure, he says--I'll be seeing you again, too, Burke tells Frank--I hope you like grilled cheese sandwiches--and he leaves. Frank, puzzled, sits beside Vicki, not across from her, as Burke had. He asks Vicki where he knows Devlin's name from. Burke Devlin, from Collinsport, says Vicki, and not exactly on friendly terms with Roger Collins and Mrs. Stoddard (she does talk a lot, doesn't she)? I know the story, he says, rubbing his chin. That was 10 years ago, she says, surprised. I wasn't personally involved, he says, Dad was the attorney for Roger Collins in that manslaughter case--he's told me about it. Did he tell you that Burke insists that he was innocent? asks Vicki. They always do, says Frank--sometimes it helps with the parole board--how long did he serve, do you know? Five years, says Vicki. That was 10 years ago, he says--he must have done very well since then. From what I've heard, he's made a fortune, agrees Vicki. Good for him, says Frank. Do you mean that? asks Vicki. Of course, says Frank, I've always envied people like that--you know me, I've had it handed to me, born with a silver spoon in my mouth, all that. It doesn't show, says Vicki. It doesn't, huh? he asks--I think that statement has made me happier than any I've heard since I passed the board exam. Your sandwich, sir? Asks the waiter, bringing over Burke's lunch. Oh, says Frank, thank you--to Vicki, he says--I'm going to eat this sandwich in honor of my new acquaintance with Miss Victoria Winters. You didn't find out anything about B. Hanscomb, did you? she asks. Look, he says, don't let it worry you--we have cases of files in our warehouse, and I'm going to look through them first chance I get. But you didn't find anything? she asks. Not yet, he says, believe me, I'm going to dig until I come up with some sort of answer
--I'm going to do everything in the world I can to help you.

Garner's office - Hello, Roger, says Richard into the phone, let me speak to Elizabeth, please? Elizabeth, I've been tied up in court all day, or I would have called you earlier--I think you ought to know that Victoria winters paid me a visit this morning and asked me a lot of questions...she was in Bangor and called for an appointment; I couldn't very well refuse, could I?--no, you're not to worry--everything is completely under control--you just leave everything to me--I'll let you know
--we see the old ledger sheet sitting on top of the Collins-Stoddard file we saw earlier.

NOTES: Cover up! It actually surprises me that Vicki has gone to the present Collins family lawyers for help. Doesn't it occur to her that if someone at Collinwood IS covering up something (which, of course, Liz is), the faithful Garner retainers won't lift a finger to show her the way to the truth about herself? I am already anticipating a discussion/confrontation between Garners junior and senior--Richard will order his son not to reveal anything to Vicki. Poor guy already seems half in love with her, and he's going to have to lie to her as everyone else is doing--and if she finds out, she's going to hate him for it, and that's the last thing Frank will want. What a sweet, clean-cut fellow!

Vicki apparently has two interested suitors now, and despite Burke's threats, she really likes him, you can tell. Some gals have all the luck--two handsome, rich men chasing her. Spare one for me, huh, Vicki?

This episode was very slow to Robservise, once again, back to piles of dialogue! The plot was definitely advanced, though--Vicki is very close to learning something with this ledger page, but she's fighting a battle she can't possibly win.

Love, Robin