Author Topic: #1117/1118: Robservations 09/23/03: Ben Attacked--By What?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1117/1118: Robservations 09/23/03: Ben Attacked--By What?
« on: September 22, 2003, 10:34:33 AM »
1117 - Barnabas returns to consciousness and opens his eyes.  Julia grabs a cobweb-covered cross from a nearby table and holds it out as he rises to his feet.  Stay away from me! she demands.  With a moan, he turns away--put it away! he commands.  You know I can't do that, she says.  Julia, he says, you don't understand, let me look at you--I'm not the same--you saw what happened to me!  You tried to kill me, Julia reminds him.  Yes, and I would have, he says, if the I-Ching hadn't finally succeeded (talk about the nick of time!)
--don't you understand, I was finally able to WILL myself back to you; I am here to help you, believe me--Eliot helped me with the I-Ching--Carolyn is half mad--Quentin has been confined to Windcliff, would Barnabas of 1840 know all this?  Finally convinced, Julia puts down the cross, calls his name and goes into his arms to embrace him.  Thank heavens I got here in time, says Barn--when I saw your grave in 1970, I knew I had to find a way.  My grave? she asks.  Yes, he says, Eliot and I found out that you died on this very day in 1840--I shudder when I think I might have killed you just now.  He spots Roxanne lying in bed and murmurs her name--what I think I must have done to you, he laments--it's frightening--Julia, how serious is her condition?  She is going to live, says Julia, but now she represents a danger to us--we must find a way to have her be herself again!

Collinwood - Flora, in super ditzy mode, asks Samantha, how could Roxanne have disappeared after you found her?  She couldn't have left the gazebo by herself, says Sam, wringing her hands--she didn't have the strength to do it--oh, Flora, what can he out there?--four other attacks in the village were identical to Roxanne's.  I know--it isn't safe for any of us to go out at night, blathers Flora (love her little girl voice).  Why can't we hear from the searchers? asks Sam.  They are doing the best they can, Flora assures her--why don't you come with me and let me make you some tea?--it will help settle your nerves.  Sam agrees--I'm not accomplishing anything by standing here getting upset.  Good girl, coos Flora.  They leave the drawing room.

Woods - A black-cloaked figure carrying what looks like a covered birdcage enters Collinwood and closes the door.

Julia examines Roxanne, warming her cold hands between her own.  Barnabas is changing into a 19th century outfit (and looking mighty good!)   A worried Julia says, time is running out--I sent Ben to get some alcohol, but he hasn't come back--I'm going to see if I can find some myself.  Julia leaves.  Barnabas paces the room, buttoning buttons.  Roxanne opens her eyes--Barnabas! she calls--you've come back to me!   No, he says, something has happened, Roxanne--something is different.  No, she says, it's the same!--please, come to me, Barnabas--come to me!  She raises a supplicating hand.  He looks both miserable and guilty.

Barnabas, shaking his head, tells Roxanne, "No."  Tell me what's wrong, she begs--you said we would be together.  I know, he says--when the time comes, I'll try to make you understand.  Julia returns--Roxanne, lie down and try to rest, she orders.  I'll never understand, never! wails Roxanne, beginning to cry.  Barnabas, says Julia, I think the only thing we can do is try hypnosis--perhaps we can erase her memory.  Will it work? he asks.  You know about hypnosis, she says--there's no way of telling if it will work--it depends on the subject--now leave me alone with her.  What about the family?--I've got to meet them, he says.  Yes, she agrees, I told them you were my brother, that you would come from England--they think we are the son and daughter of the Barnabas Collins who went to England in 1797 (does that mean Angelique was their mother?  Who else?)--go there, she orders, I will hypnotize her, then bring her there, and say I found her wandering in the woods.  All right, he agrees, I'll go--good luck, Julia.  He leaves.  She takes a prism from one of the candle holders on the mantle and stares at it.

Collinwood -The house is so cold, notes Flora--the doors are open.  She closes them.  A man hiding behind one of the doors comes out at her; she screams.  It's her son, Desmond, who greets her with a kiss on the cheek.  What a way to surprise me, she chastises, you scared me half to death!  Laughing, Desmond says, I have another surprise for you.  Wait, she objects, you haven't even given me a chance to look at you.  He stands back.  Traveling is so good for you, she praises--you look so well--it's wonderful to have you back, my darling.  She hugs him.  It's good to be back, says Desmond, and to see you again.  They go into the drawing room, where the covered surprise sits on a table.  I have so much to tell you, she says.  It can wait until after I show you what I brought back, he says--you've never seen anything like this in your life before--are you ready?  He lifts the cover off a display case containing the severed head of an ugly man that some will say resembles Phil Collins.
Flora gasps in dismay--take that horrible thing out of here! she cries.  It's completely harmless, he assures her, proudly holding up the box containing the grisly artifact.  I'll never believe that, says Flora--there's something EVIL about it, I can FEEL it, vibrating things--please, cover it up, I can't bear to look at it.  All right, he says, you won't have to see it again because I'm giving it to Quentin.  Flora looked stunned.  When I first found it, says Desmond, I knew how much he loved old relics--I said to myself, this is for Quentin--he was always fascinated by the occult--Mother, you don't have to be scared anymore, it's all covered up.  Quentin is dead, she says.  Desmond's face drops in shock.

Collinwood - Barnabas hesitates before knocking on the door.  Is he thinking how many times he's done this before, and wondering--will it work again?

Oh, Mother, says a despondent Desmond, I can't believe it--Quentin dead--and he was so alive--and poor little Tad.  It's dreadful, agrees Flora, and now all this horrible business with Roxanne.  Desmond! cries Samantha, holding out her arms--it's so good to see you--when did you get in?  Just a while ago, he says, hugging her, taking her hands--I never dreamed I'd be coming back to such tragedy.  Hearing a knock at the door, Flora excitedly says, Samantha, it could be news about Roxanne.  Sam runs to the door and eagerly opens it.  How do you do, says Barnabas, introducing himself--I just arrived from England--I understand my sister is here--she's expecting me.  He looks hopeful.

Barnabas enters the house.  How do you do? Samantha asks Cousin Barnabas--we've been expecting you--I'm Samantha Collins.  My pleasure to meet you, he says--is my sister here?  No, she hasn't arrived yet, says Sam--come into the drawing room.  He follows her.  She introduces him to Flora and Desmond.  Flora bubbles, I think I'd have known you even without an introduction--you bear such a strong resemblance to that portrait of your father hanging in Ben's room--he was such a striking man!  Thank you, says Barnabas--I'm sorry, I feel I came at an inopportune moment.  Samantha apologizes--we're all terribly upset tonight--my sister, Roxanne, has been attacked by a wild animal in the woods. How awful, says Barn--I'm sorry to hear that.  Thunder rolls.

Julia waves the prism in front of Roxanne and asks, what's the last thing you remember?  Eyes focused on the prism, Roxanne says, I remember leaving Collinwood to go home.  What happened then? asks Julia.  I got home and was waiting for someone, says Rox.  What were you waiting for? asks Julia.  It was...it was...says Roxanne.  An open window bangs; the candles blow out.  You must tell me! says Julia, suddenly aware something strange is going on.  She closes the banging window, then goes to re-light the candles.  Hearing something outside the room, she goes to look around, feeling a chill.  Is anyone down there? she calls over the stair railing.  She returns to the lightning filled room and closes the door.  Roxanne is gone!  Julia looks around.

I can't understand why we haven't heard anything, frets Samantha.  That might be a good sign, says Flora--it could mean there's some hope--you're so tired, Samantha--let me take you upstairs.  No, says Samantha, I intend to stay here until I hear something.  The front door opens and closes.  Cousin Barnabas, your sister is here! calls Sam.  Barnabas rises from the sofa and follows Samantha to the door.  Your brother has arrived, Sam tells Julia.  Barnabas and Julia hug.  We didn't know what happened to you, says Sam.  Dear Julia! says Barnabas, his hands on her waist.  It's so good to see you--did you have a good trip? asks Julia.  Fine, says Barnabas, a very smooth crossing--you're shivering, he notes--Mrs. Collins, do you have any brandy? Roxanne got out of the house, Julia whispers to him--I'll tell you how later.  What about the hypnosis? he asks.  I don't know, says Julia, I wasn't able to finish it--I don't know if it worked or not--we had better go in.  Barnabas and Julia, arm in arm, join Desmond, Flora and Samantha, who hands Julia a brandy. (unusual to see this many people in one scene).  Julia, where have you been? asks Flora.  Sipping her drink, Julia explains, I was at the Old house--Ben took me there earlier today.  Turning to Samantha, she adds, Gerard came there and told me about Roxanne--I'm so sorry to hear it--you still haven't heard anything?  No, not yet, says Sam, taking the glass from Julia.  Flora introduces Julia to Desmond.  The front door opens--Roxanne!  Everyone rushes to the foyer.  Samantha notices how cold she is, Desmond remarks on how pale.  Thank God she's alive! exclaims Samantha.  We should get her upstairs, says Julia, I'll examine her.  You? asks Desmond.  Yes, I'm a doctor, Julia says.  (Dr. Collins, Medicine Woman.)  When they are helping Roxanne upstairs, she nearly faints.  She looks around at everyone; her gaze homes in on Barnabas.
"You--I know you!" she says accusingly.  (Uh oh, did the hypnosis work?)

Roxanne, says Desmond, can you tell me what you mean?  "I know--know I was waiting for HIM!" says Roxanne.  Barnabas stands there, a deer-caught-in-headlights expression on his face.  Who were you waiting for, darling, who? asks Sam.  Roxanne gives Barnabas a longing look, then faints.  Samantha, Flora and Julia help her upstairs, leaving Desmond and Barnabas alone.  Determinedly, Desmond follows Barnabas into the drawing room--her reaction to you was puzzling, wasn't it?
It was, Barnabas agrees.  Is this your first trip to this country? asks Desmond.  Yes, it is, says Barnabas.  It does seem strange she singled you out, says Desmond suspiciously--she must have had some reason.  Does Roxanne come to Collinwood often? Queries Barnabas.  Quite a bit, says Desmond.  There's a well-known portrait of my father somewhere, says Barn--perhaps she associated me with my father.  It does seem an odd association under the circumstances, says Desmond, but perhaps you're right.  Desmond leaves to check on Roxanne.

8:30 - Julia crosses the landing and comes downstairs.  She joins Barnabas--I gave Roxanne a sedative, she says.  But the hypnosis--did it work or didn't it? demands Barnabas.  I don't know yet, says Julia--and we won't until she's fully conscious--I advise you to leave the house, just to be safe--I'll tell them you went into town to get your luggage.  I think you're right, says Barnabas--if her memory hasn't been erased, I don't want to be here.  She looks at him sympathetically.  Samantha runs downstairs--Julia! she calls frantically, hurrying downstairs-- where is Barnabas?--Roxanne is awake and talking, and she told me something that terrified me.  Barnabas overhears and is very upset.  What did she tell you? asks Julia.  After she left Collinwood last night, says Samantha, and went home, she was expecting to meet someone.  Who? asks Julia.  I don't know, answers Sam--but after that, she can't remember anything that happened to her at all!  Barnabas breathes a sigh of relief--Julia saved his ass once again!

Rose Cottage drawing room - Why did we never know we had relatives in England? Desmond asks his mother.  I don't know, says Flora--I'm tired.  Think about it, says Desmond--two strange people show up claiming to be members of the family--two people who make quite an odd pair.  Odd--what are you talking about? asks Flora--now I want you to forget these silly superstitions--travel is supposed to broaden the mind, not narrow it--and Barnabas is a very charming man! Putting his hands on her shoulders, Desmond says, very well, no lectures, please.  He kisses her cheek.  That's more like my darling, she coos.  She gazes with disgust at the covered box and asks, why did you bring this horrible thing to Rose Cottage?  Stop carrying on, says Desmond--there is nothing frightening about that head.  I'll never believe that, she insists--I have instincts, and they tell me this hideous thing is disgusting, vile and evil.  I can't understand your carrying on, says Desmond, I want you to look at it and see that it is absolutely a carved head of some kind!  He takes off the cover.  Flora turns away with a sound of disgust--"I don't want to be in the same room with it!" she says-- "Get it out of here--get it out of this house!"  She runs off.  Come back here! orders Desmond.
We view the head--its eyes are now open, staring wickedly at us.

NOTES:  We once had the hand, now we have the head--no erotic jokes necessary, LOL!  Some people did have a great time with this when we saw it in previous airings, but I do remember how nervous I was when I saw that head open its eyes for the first time.  If it is carved, someone added human eyes to it!  Brrrr.

Barnabas is off the hook again for the misdeeds of his former self, but we've seen Julia's hypnosis waver before--will it all come back to her one day, after seeing something that triggers a memory?

Lucky for Julia--very lucky--that Barnabas took possession of his body when he did, or she would have had what she's always longed for--becoming the victim of his vampire lust.  One senses, however, that after he fed off her, he'd have broken her neck, then finished off Roxanne, turning her into his vampire bride.  Sometimes, albeit rarely, fate is actually kind to DS characters!

What happened in Josette's room?  Something enticed Julia out of the room so Roxanne could escape, but who or what was it?  What supernatural force would intervene in this manner, and why?

Once again, Barnabas leaps into the family as a cousin from England.  To his credit, he seemed very nervous about it.  One of these days, it might not work!

We have some very interesting situations here.  Love Desmond.  Karlen never misses a beat with any of his characters.  He's delightful.  As for Flora, her voice reminds me of Glinda, the good witch in WIZARD OF OZ.  I can only take so much of that at a time!

1118 - After Flora runs away from the grisly artifact Desmond brought home, he covers it, unaware that its eyes opened.  Ben enters--what did you do to your mother? he asks.  I played a little joke, Ben, says Desmond.  What kind of joke? asks Ben--I just brought her a note from Mr. Barnabas, and she wasn't fit to be spoken to.  I promise to go see her in a few minutes, says Desmond.  A man oughtn't to go round scaring his mother like that, chastises Ben.  Desmond smiles--I didn't expect to scare her, he says
--all I did was show her this--he uncovers the head.  The eyes are now closed.

Where did you get that thing? asks Ben--and whatever possessed you to bring it here?  I intended to bring it to Quentin, says Desmond--what is the matter of you, Ben, it's just a reproduction of a head?  No, says Ben, his voice shaking, it's more--something about it that brings back bad memories.  You could never have seen this thing before, says Desmond, I just brought it from the Far East!  You ought to send it back there, right now, get rid of it, before it gets rid of us, advises Ben--we've had enough tragedy in this house--we don't need anymore.  He leaves.  Well, I'd better cover you up, my friend, says Desmond, doing so--you seem to have a terrible effect on everyone but me.

Collinwood drawing room - Barnabas closes the double doors--Ben, he says, Julia told me everything about Quentin and Tad, but she had to go upstairs to look after Roxanne--now Ben,  there are some questions I want to ask you.  I don't know what's happened to you, says a puzzled Ben--you've changed since that night at the mausoleum--it's like you was a different person.  I'll explain all when I have more time, promises Barnabas--tell me everything you know about Gerard Stiles.  Not much to tell, says Ben--he puts on the charm a lot, but that don't fool me none, I wouldn't trust him from here to there.  But what is he doing here? asks Barn--what do you think he's up to?  No good, you can be sure of that, says Ben--I don't know what he wants, but he ain't made a move for it yet, as far as I know.  I suppose I'll be meeting him, sooner or later, says Barn, but there's one other thing I want to know about--first of all, I have to meet Daniel Collins as soon as possible.  Mr. Daniel is the one person in this house who might recognize you as the original Barnabas Collins, warns Ben.  I'm aware of that, says Barn, that's why I must risk seeing him now--ill as he is, I must have Daniel Collins on my side.

Daniel sits at a desk in his tower prison, writing a note.  Ben enters and greets him.  I'm glad you're here, says Daniel, I need your help--I'm writing a note to that wasteful son of mines.  You mean Mr. Gabriel? asks Ben.  No, Quentin! says Daniel querulously--you've heard what he's done, haven't you?--appropriated funds from the family business.  Look at me, Mr. Daniel, bids Ben--you can't write no note to Mr. Quentin--he's dead.  Astounded, Daniel looks at him, then says, Quentin, dead?  I told you, don't you remember? asks Ben--Mr. Quentin was lost at sea?  Daniel repeats, "Lost at sea?--he always loved the sea, Ben--well, then, we must make the proper funeral arrangements."  I came up to tell you there's someone waiting downstairs who is real anxious to see you, says Ben--a relative.  Rubbish, says Daniel, I'll have none of that--I know my relatives too well--they all come with outstretched palms.  This one ain't like that, says Ben--this one is Barnabas Collins.  Daniel repeats the name--yes, you're right, he says--he is different--where is he?--I must see him.  He looks determined.

Barnabas is sitting by the fire when Desmond enters the drawing room and greets him as "Cousin Barnabas"--is Samantha still upstairs with Roxanne?  I believe she is, says Barnabas, rising.  Has Roxanne's condition improved? asks Desmond.  Yes, says Barn, she's regained consciousness--my sister is up there with her now.  I see, says Desmond--has she been able to tell anyone who attacked her in the woods?  No, says Barnabas, as a matter of fact, she hasn't been able to remember anything about the attack at all.  What a shame, says Desmond, eyeing Barnabas suspiciously--actually I don't believe it was a wild animal who attacked her.  Why do you say that? asks Barnabas, turning away.  The wound on her neck could not have been caused by any animal known to this area, insists Desmond.  Well, says Barnabas, if it wasn't an animal what do you suppose it was?  I don't know, says Desmond--it's a complete mystery to me--for some reason, I never knew we had relatives in England--what part are you from?  London, says Barnabas, facing him now.  What part of London? inquires Desmond.  Cadogan Square, replies Barnabas, back to that old chestnut.  What a shame, says Desmond--I was there, that I didn't look you up.  That is a shame, agrees Barnabas.  Ben comes downstairs and into the drawing room, arm in arm with Daniel.  You must be Daniel Collins, says Barnabas, smiling.  Amazing! says Daniel--(Ben looks nervous--absolutely amazing--I've been waiting so long for you to come back
--you look exactly as you did when I was just a boy.  Barnabas looks worried, Desmond fascinated.  Is the cat about to be released from the bag?

Ben glances sideways at Daniel, who says, "Barnabas!  It's amazing!"   I'm afraid you're mistaken, Cousin Daniel, says Barnabas quickly.  Mistaken? demands Daniel.  This seems to be your night for being confused with your father, remarks Desmond.  Barnabas looks at him but says nothing.  Desmond, what are you doing here? asks Daniel.  I just came by, says Des, to inquire about Roxanne's condition.  He leaves the room.  Roxanne? asks Daniel--Ben, what the devil is Desmond talking about?  Don't get yourself all upset, soothes Ben, I'll explain it to you later.  Well, well, Barnabas, says Daniel, you had us quite worried for a while, running off to England like that and then we never heard from you!  You've got it wrong, says Barnabas, you confused me with my father--it was my father who went to England in 1797.  Puzzled, Daniel repeats the date, and says, "Your father."  It's 1840 now, Ben reminds the old man.  You're so like your father, says Daniel, understanding and patient--he never lived here, you know, he lived at the Old House--I lived there, too, but only briefly, before Collinwood was built.  I'm very fond of the Old House, says Barnabas, even though I've never been there--but my father has told me many things about it and all the pleasant memories he has of life there.  Yes, says Daniel, those were peaceful, happy days--up until the end, but then we don't think about that--Ben, I want you to take Mr. Barnabas to the Old House tomorrow--then if you like it, you can stay in it as long as you like!  He chuckles over his own generosity.  Thank you for your generosity, says Barn.  Ben smiles.  Gerard Stiles enters the house and walks into the drawing room.  Who is this young man, Ben, what's he want? asks Daniel.  Permit me to introduce myself--Gerard Stiles, Esquire--you, I take it, are Daniel Collins?  I am, sir, replies Daniel.  Ben, aren't you going to introduce me to this other gentleman? asks Gerard.  Barnabas stares at him intently.  Ben introduces the two men.  A pleasure, sir, says Gerard.  How do you do? asks Barnabas.  What is your business in this house? asks Daniel.  Gerard lives here, says Ben--he's the young man who brought us the news about Quentin's death.  Oh, says Daniel, you were with Quentin on the night he died?  We were the best of friends, sir, says Gerard--I was first mate aboard the China Sea.  I want to hear how it happened, Mr. Stiles, says Daniel, if you will be good enough to tell me.  Now, Mr. Daniel, cautions Ben.  I want to hear how my son died, Ben! shouts Daniel--please go on, Mr. Stiles.  There's little to tell, says Gerard--we had just maneuvered the vessel through the Straits of Magellan when one of the storms peculiar to the area struck us very hard--Quentin was at the bow, from where I was standing, I could see him--he was in grave danger--the water was coming over the decks; I shouted at him to get below, but he paid no attention to me--was going towards him, forever being knocked down by the waves and strong winds, when finally I was nearly 20 feet from him when I saw Tad, his son, who had somehow gotten to him and was forcing him to get below--but just then one of the biggest waves I'd ever seen struck--I thought the bow would go under--when I picked myself up, they were both gone.  Daniel, stunned, says, "You mean, Tad is dead, too?"  I was going to tell you, says Ben, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder, we was waiting for you to get over the news of Mr. Quentin.  I tried everything I could, sir, Gerard assures him, I brought a lifeboat down immediately--I hate myself for failing.  You risked your life, sir, says Daniel, I'm grateful to you for it.  He would have done the same for me, sir, says Gerard.  Barnabas watches and listens carefully.  Daniel puts his hand to his forehead, complaining, I'm suddenly very tired--where are my pills, Ben?  In your room, says the latter.  I want to hear more about poor Roxanne, murmurs Daniel.  Ben leads him away--I'll take you upstairs, sir.  Barnabas volunteers to come with them, giving Gerard a quick look before leaving.  Gerard, smiling, pours himself a drink and shakes his head as he quaffs it.

Barnabas and Ben lead Daniel into the tower room.  Thank you, Mr. Barnabas--I can take care of him by myself now, he says.  I'll be downstairs, says Barn, and leaves.  Ben, asks Daniel, why are we the way we are?  I don't know what you're talking about, says Ben.  Daniel lies in bed, where Ben covers him with the infamous afghan.  We're a family born to tragedy, says Daniel--we seem somehow to invite it and then thrive on it--what's wrong with us?  Try and get some sleep, urges Ben.  Daniel, looking sad, says, it's so strange seeing Barnabas, then hearing about the attack on poor Roxanne--made me think back to the winter of 1797--all the terrifying things that happened--the strange, vicious attacks in the village, the rumors about Angelique, the suicide of Barnabas Collins' mother--what happened, Ben, what caused it all?  I don't know, says Ben.  What frightens me, says Daniel, is the terrible feeling that it's going to happen to us again--some incredible horror that none of us knows anything about yet.  Do you remember, asks Ben, some time ago, the newspapers told about a series of murders down Bedford way--it was a petrified head mixed up in it somewhere.
The Bedford Atrocity! says Daniel.  How much do you remember about it? asks Ben.  I remember several murders, says Daniel--there was a legend about that strange, disembodied head--yes, I read it about it months later in that book Millicent showed me--yes of course, you must ask Millicent what she did with that book.  Ben leans down--Miss Millicent is dead, he reminds him.  Oh, says Daniel, remembering now, that's right, she's. . .the book must still be there--she always kept everything in that attic storeroom--poor little dear, she never had a happy day in her life---but the book, that's there.  He drifts off to sleep.

We see lots of cobwebs.  Ben, in the attic, has located the book Daniel spoke of.  Relics of the Anti-Saints, says Ben aloud, slapping the book closed--I've got to see Mr. Desmond, get him to destroy that awful thing--before it destroys us!

Collinwood - Barnabas crosses the landing and heads downstairs.  He joins Gerard in the drawing room--I'm glad you're still here, Mr. Stiles, since we didn't get to talk much earlier.  Gerard rises from the sofa--how's "old Daniel"?  Resting, says Barnabas--how long have you been at Collinwood, Mr. Stiles?  Ever since I brought the news of Quentin's death, several months ago, says Gerard--I suppose I was invited here out of gratitude.  I'm most intrigued by your story of the tragedy at sea, says Barn--could you tell me more?  Why not? asks Gerard, what would you like to know?  Did Quentin actually die at sea? asks Barnabas.  Startled, Gerard says, of course he did, there's no question about that.
Did you see the body? asks Barnabas.  No, says Gerard, you know very well it was hard to retrieve it.  So, probes Barn, there's no final proof that Quentin Collins is actually dead?  You heard what I told the old man--he couldn't possible have survived, says Gerard--now tell me, why all these questions?  Merely curious, says Barnabas.  Are you trying to tell me you don't believe my story? asks Gerard.  I'm not trying to tell you anything, says Barnabas.  Because my story is true, says Gerard coldly, and once more, I don't owe anymore explanations to anyone.  A chuckle in his voice, Barnabas says, "I didn't say you did."  Good night, Mr. Collins, says Gerard, and leaves the room.  Barnabas thinks it all over.  Gerard heads upstairs as Ben is coming down.  Ben, where are you going? asks Barnabas.  There's something I have to do, says Ben, right now.  What? Barnabas asks.  The less said about it, the better, says Ben--I'll be back as soon as I do what I have to do.  He leaves.

Ben, lantern in one hand, book in the other, enters Rose Cottage, calling to Desmond--where the devil is everybody?  A storm rages.  He spots the head and removes the cover.  Evil, pronounces Ben, Desmond has got to destroy it for all our sakes.  Ben sits down and begins to write a letter (left-handed) to Desmond.  He folds it up and leaves it on the table, then rises from the chair in horror, dropping the book, staring at the head--the eyes are open, staring malevolently at him!
Ben steps forward, lantern in hand, and says, "I know about you, all about you--I'm going to tell everyone, so you'll be destroyed--you won't stop me!"  Ben leaves the room, the head still uncovered, eyes open, staring.

Ben walks through the lightning-filled woods and suddenly stops.  We see the head, eyes open, juxtaposed over a screaming Ben--"You!  Don't come near me!" he cries, holding the lantern high.  "No!  No! Noooo!"

NOTES:  This evil head must have supernatural powers, and it appears that it has silenced Ben, perhaps permanently.  It's a shame Barnabas wasn't alerted to his old friend's plans, and at least joined him in thwarting this evil.

Sounds like Gerard's story about the deaths of Quentin and Tad is made-up, if very well detailed.  I felt sorry for Daniel learning of his grandson's death in this manner.  Louis Edmonds is doing another excellent job with this character.  Considering how much Daniel resembles his father, how did Barnabas feel facing him--aside from the fear that he would spill his secret.  Daniel's mind isn't too well-hinged, so anything he might say would be construed as the ravings of a madman.  Barnabas lucked out once again.

Barnabas and Gerard are already suspicious of each other, but that's nothing compared with the suspicion Desmond has for Barnabas.  He questioned him like a police detective.  Fortunately, Barnabas maintained his cool.  Desmond should spend less time being suspicious of Barnabas and more getting into a staring contest with that very creepy head he brought back.

Daniel's ruminations about 1797 and fear of what has been happening to the Collins family over the years, are so sad.  One has to wonder what "peaceful" days he was referring to.  Perhaps his life with Joshua, after Nathan's death, was peaceful, but I doubt it.  He remembers Angelique, and attacks in the village.  Although we know the year is wrong (it was 1796, actually), the memories are correct.  I enjoy touchstones like this.  He murdered his own wife, apparently, and he's pretty much insane now, with bouts of sanity creeping in--but his memory is completely there.  He's a sorry character, and very well performed by Edmonds.

Love, Robin