Author Topic: Dark Shadows 1991 Revival Episode 8...  (Read 411 times)

IluvBarnabas

Dark Shadows 1991 Revival Episode 8...
« on: October 24, 2013, 03:08:33 AM »
I wrote in my review in the previous episode that Angelique seems more hot and heavy for Barnabas rather than head over heels in love with him. But I also like to add how ruthless, and unrepentantly nasty she is. I recall Barnabas in the OS, once he learned of Angelique's schemes, saying that she did what she did was out of hatred. I think to a point he was right but I also think that this better describes this Angelique we're seeing in the 1991 show.

She single handedly destroys not one but two relationships....Barnabas and Josette's and also Barnabas and Jeremiah's as well. And the way she ruthlessly and heartlessly arranges Jeremiah's demise at the hands of Barnabas is beyond monsterous. Now I'm by no means excusing the Angelique of the OS from doing what she did to KLS' Josette and AG's Jeremiah, but at least that LP's Angelique did try to talk JF's Barnabas out of going ahead with the duel. Not Lysette's Angelique. She has no qualms whatsoever about making Jeremiah the sacrificial lamb in order to pound the final nail in the coffin (excuse the pun) in Barnabas and Josette's relationship.

I think DC and the writers messed up on one point. Once Barnabas learns that Jeremiah and Josette have run off, and he finds them, Barnabas proceeds to beat the living snot out of Jeremiah. To stop this, Josette tells Barnabas that she and Jeremiah have gotten married. Jeremiah then demands satisfaction and Barnabas agrees. Excuse me, but what right does Jeremiah have to demand retribution?!....I realize he and Josette were bewitched, and thusly can't really be held responsible for their recent actions....but any sane person under saner circumstances would most certainly argue that Barnabas is the one who has been wronged here. Spell or no spell, I think both Jeremiah and Josette should have realized that (heck, they did in the OS).

Typical Millicent....she sees herself as a victim too even though Jeremiah never showed her even 1/10th the affection that Barnabas and Josette had even before Angelique performed her voodoo.

The family takes sides. Joshua blames Josette, while Andre maintains she's the victim. The only thing the family can agree on is that the duel must not take place.  Peter tries one last effort to stop the duel, to no avail.

Barnabas cannot bring himself to shoot his brother, despite the betrayal. Angelique, sensing this I think, takes matters into her own hands. Forcing Ben into her service, Angelique puts the bullet into Barnabas' empty pistol at the moment the two men turn and prepare to shoot. Jeremiah is shot, to Barnabas' shock and Josette's horror. She runs to Jeremiah and screams at Barnabas that he has killed the only man she has ever loved. Again, I realize she's still under Angelique's spell, but how the hell can she believe that she never loved Barnabas, especially since they were getting so lovey dovey in the gardens after she had arrived at the beginning of the episode?

Anyway, the family is devastated. Abigail screams witchcraft and literaly points the finger at Vicki. End of episode.

I must say good episode, but a bit infuriating to watch. I loved watching Joanna in her dual scene as both Vicki and Josette. They feel an instant kinship with each other, no doubt due to their strong resemblance to each other. I still maintain that Joanna is just about the best thing about the 1991 show because she plays both roles so convincingly.

Next episode....I can't believe I'll be going to 9 already.