Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0562  (Read 1253 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0562
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
Robservations #562

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0562

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »
And the Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ss-NGpudo

I always love it when Angelique summons one of her victims and that delicious music plays... "Let the wind carry my voice to you..."

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:54:53 PM »
Joe is so dazed when he finally caves in and goes to answer Angelique's summons that he almost misses the step off the stage.

In talking with Barnabas, Joe reveals that he and Tom Jennings are cousins. So [spoiler]Joe and Carolyn are kissing cousins after all.[/spoiler]

This is far from my favorite story line, but somehow LP manages to look both radiant and feral after her, um, encounter with Joe.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »
I've said it many times before, but I love this Ang as Vamp period. It's poetic justice for Ang to have to suffer as she made Barnabas suffer, she deserves every indignity that Nicholas puts her through - though it's also great fun to see her scheme to get out from under Nicholas' thumb, and it gives Joel Crothers so much meaty material to work with.

[spoiler]Remember, it's that Lenore was Quentin's daughter. So if her daughter married a Jennings and Joe's relationship to the Jennings clan is through him (meaning Joe's mother was the Jennings siblings' father's sister), then Joe wouldn't be any relation to the Collinses. That's the way the relationship is laid out in The Collins Family Tree that appears in the DS Almanacs - and seemingly corroborative evidence for that is the fact that Joe doesn't suffer under the werewolf curse.  [hall2_smiley][/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »
Thanks, MB. [spoiler]I don't have the almanac, so I didn't know about the family tree. I do remember that Lenore was Quentin's only surviving child. Lenore must have had only one child, a son who became the father of Tom, Chris, and Amy. If Lenore had had a daughter who married a Haskell, then Joe would be a first cousin of the Jennings sibs--and also would have been cursed. I guess the whole Cousin Joe thing had to be dropped as the writers developed the story of Quentin's descendants. But Lenore's son would have been cursed too--and we never hear anything about a Collinsport werewolf in, say, the 1920s or thereabouts.[/spoiler]

And yes, I suppose Angelique had to suffer for what she did to Barnabas. But for me the fun of this story line is watching Nicholas.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
Actually, the way things work[spoiler]in the tree, Lenore had a daughter and it's that daughter who married a Jennings. It's all laid out like this:

gypsy parents
                 |--------------------|
Quentin Collins  |                    |
      |    m. Jenny                  Magda
      |                                m. Sandor Rakosi
      | - infant boy
      |   (died 1897)
      |
      |-Lenore Collins
          | m. unknown
          |                 Jennings
          |            |----------------|
          |-daughter   |                |
              | m. Jennings            daughter
              |                          | m. Haskell
              |-Tom Jennings             |- Joe Haskell
              |-Chris Jennings
              |-Amy Jennings
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 09:39:55 PM »
That family tree looks about right to me, MB.  [spoiler]Magda's curse specified that the taint went through the male line, so a daughter wouldn't pass it on to her son (Joe Haskell).[/spoiler]

I agree that it's huge fun watching Vampilique do her thing.  Although Cassandra is my favorite of all the variants on Angelique, I do think in many ways that the original 1795 portrayal was the most interesting because they focused more on specifics of Angelique's personality as a scorned woman and less on all the superwitch hocus-pocus.  Of course as a kid I just couldn't wait to see what her next spell or piece of enchantment would be...

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
Thanks so much, MB! I hope that didn't take a whole lot of work. And Gothick, thanks to you too, for the link.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 01:26:27 AM »
Barnabas will say that Willie is crazy if the police come.  The go to solution to all things.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
I've lost at least three posts for this episode, and I didn't even like it. Well, I liked it less and less with each viewing. Mediocre to bad acting for the most part (Parker gave best performance by far) and the same could be said for the writing.
The cemetery scene was preposterous.

I found it odd that the writers would have Willie looking for usable body parts in an abandoned cemetery. And laughable, but, in a good way, to have Joe make a citizen's arrest in the middle of a summoning, which I feel would have worked better as a voice-over (Ange).

Could the eyeliner have been the last straw for Crothers?

Joe tells Barn that the last thing he wants to do is give Willie a police record. Is it just me?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 09:09:42 PM »
Joe tells Barn that the last thing he wants to do is give Willie a police record. Is it just me?

No it isn't just you. It was established back in the B/W episodes just after when Barnabas appeared that [spoiler] Willie had been in prison at some point. [/spoiler] Considering what a thug he had been, hardly a big surprise.

Guess the writers just forgot about that little piece of history of Willie's character.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »
Not to mention being shot & (I'm assuming) arrested  for stalking and kidnapping and torturing his girlfriend, Maggie Evans.