Author Topic: In Defense of Vicky  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Linda

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
Re: In Defense of Vicky
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2002, 04:42:38 AM »
>>Lets not knock her being "dumb" at stating that
>>people she meets in 1795 resembles present day
>> characters.

I wish I could share your generosity of spirit, and if she'd picked only ONE person for her "You look just like..." comment and then demonstrated reasonable caution and shut up, I might be able to manage it :)...however, the possibility that all and sundry would be a dead ringer for someone she knows is pretty remote, and for Vicki to keep blabbering about the resemblances to people who have already made it clear they think she might be a little whacked is nothing short of idiotic, IMO.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2002, 05:41:28 AM »
Luciaphil wrote
>>>>Starting to babble now . . . but I think there really is an argument here to be made for mental instability.  It certainly explains Peter Bradford  

Whoaaaa, I love that!  [lghy]

I have to agree with your denial and mental instability theory too.  Kinda like she's suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome in a way.

[shadow=teal,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2002, 04:21:13 PM »
Unfortunately, they dumbed down Vicki once Barnabas showed up.  She started out as the plucky heroine in distress, trying to learn her identity (remember how she went up to Burke's apartment because he said he had the private detective's report there?), and somewhere along the way, lost her pluck.  It's a shame, too, 'cause Vicki really was pretty intelligent when we first met her.  I always thought once she had her first experience with a ghost (Bill Malloy), she kind of lost it, mentally, and was never really the same afterwards.

Still, I liked Vicki a lot in the first couple of storylines, and always hoped they would reveal who her parents were, since that was the driving force of the show when it first came on.  It was a huge oversight not to clue us in, but there certainly have been enough fan fic stories written speculating upon it, and that's a good thing--you can provide any ending you want.      

I don't know why Vicki couldn't have been an intelligent damsel in distress, but I think in Dan Curtis' warped mind, intelligence and beauty really did not go hand in hand and mututally excluded each other, at least in the show's heroines.

I have to confess that I DID grow annoyed at Vicki for not picking up on where she was and what had happened to her to the degree that she shut her mouth about how everyone looked like someone she knew.  I gave her credit for more intelligence than that.  However, Barnabas' arrival started the dumbing down of Vicki to the point that even Alexandra Moltke couldn't stand her character anymore.

Love, Robin