Author Topic: Dark Shadows 2012 in Video Watchdog  (Read 603 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows 2012 in Video Watchdog
« on: September 21, 2013, 01:25:07 AM »
Issue #175 of Video Watchdog has a review of the DVD. It's a pretty balanced review, addressing the good points as well as the bad. Tim Lucas describes the opening twelve minutes as being the finest twelve minutes of Burton's career. He also describes the finale as like seeing a clueless filmmaker with infinite funds at his disposal throwing his script pages up in the air.

Lucas cites the film's lack of narrative structure (a problem with most Burton movies). he narrative ignores Vicki for long strwtches and never quite lives up to the promise of its opening. A confrontation of some sort between Angelique and Josette /Vicki/Maggie would have given the audience something to invest in emotionally.

It's not a Valentine but it's not a lynching either. Lucas makes his points quite well with both style and wit. Even those of us who genuinely liked the movie will probably crack a smile when Lucas refers to Vicki as the Marilyn Munster of the story.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows 2012 in Video Watchdog
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:09:44 AM »
If I'm understanding this new announcement on the VW site correctly, this issue, #175, is now available in its entirety for free download:

http://www.videowatchdog.com/home/home.html

I haven't checked it out but they are saying that there will be links for clips, trailers, etc so there may be some DS themed goodies in the review of the Depp Shadows DVD release here.

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows 2012 in Video Watchdog
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »
A confrontation of some sort between Angelique and Josette /Vicki/Maggie would have given the audience something to invest in emotionally

NOT to be contentious, but I believe that only 'die-hard fans' (such as us & other Boards) would have appreciated the Ang v. Maggie/Josette fighting...

JMO,

Patti
What a Woman!