Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0538  (Read 1069 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0538
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:26:18 PM »
Robservations #538

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0538

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »
Julia is stunned that Barnabas might be showing signs of reviving through Adam, but didn't she know Barnabas would revive every night?   This was daytime I guess, that must be it.   

I forgot all about this big moment, when Barnabas survives the Dream Curse and gets to go and gloat to Cass's face.   Nice gloating.... Mr. Frid seems invested now.

Julia, Willie, and Stokes should start the Keystone Cops Mortuary Service...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
LOL, MT!  [ghost_grin]

Julia's calculations are pure guesswork, unless she had a spare moment one evening to calculate the volume of the coffin, minus the space taken up by the lining and by Barn.

DS Wiki has a shot of Barn in the coffin. We can see that there's a chain around his neck, but can't see the cross. Maybe Julia was giving herself and Willie a little insurance in case Barnabas did revert. In later scenes, it's gone.

Carolyn takes Adam to the West Wing, even though Stokes doesn't think it's a good idea because he suspects (correctly) that Barn will now be desperate to find Adam. Stokes can't come up with a better idea, but he's just as smooth an operator as ever. When Julia arrives at the root cellar, Stokes fibs that Adam ran off into the woods again, explaining blandly, I am not agile enough, nor is Carolyn strong enough, to detain him.

Stokes delivers his famous quote: I wish I knew the secret of Barnabas Collins. He inspires so many emotions in so many people. I intends to find out that secret, too, he promises as he leaves. But as far as I know, he never does.

DS Wiki also has a nice shot of Barn's anxious eyes as he looks at his reflection in Julia's mirror, wondering whether he'll be (literal) toast at sunrise.

The scene with Barn and Angelique at sunrise is terrific! It seems that both JF and LP are having fun. This is the first time we get to see just how bad a winner Barnabas is as he gloats over Angelique, then leaves her fuming.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
DS Wiki also has a nice shot of Barn's anxious eyes as he looks at his reflection in Julia's mirror, wondering whether he'll be (literal) toast at sunrise.

And there's a shot of that in the Robservations for this ep.  [ghost_wink]

The scene with Barn and Angelique at sunrise is terrific!

As well as two shots from that scene...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:20:09 AM »
The Stokes character was fun today - lots of great lines (wonderfully delivered by David) to relish and amuse. The show still has a strange air but appears to be getting back to it's old self. Nothing else impressed me enough to mention at the moment - though things look as though they might get interesting soon. Let's hope so.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 02:29:38 AM »
The never ending night continues with a nice fade in from Barnabas to Adam.  Stokes digs up Barnabas without becoming drenched in sweat as one would expect from a grossly overweight sedentary old gentleman. Carolyn decides to hide Adam in the West wing of the great house at Collinwood. Can't wait to see it again.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:03:52 AM »
The never ending night continues with a nice fade in from Barnabas to Adam.  Stokes digs up Barnabas without becoming drenched in sweat as one would expect from a grossly overweight sedentary old gentleman. Carolyn decides to hide Adam in the West wing of the great house at Collinwood. Can't wait to see it again.

I've often wondered why Adam didn't bump into Quentin and Gerard while he was staying there.  [easter_wink]