Author Topic: Lara Parker's NYC Book Signing  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Lara Parker's NYC Book Signing
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »
I attended Lara Parker's book signing in Manhattan last night. It was quite an evening!

My friend & I were on our way down to where the event was going to be when Lara and her husband Jim stopped us. She gave us huge hugs and spent close to half an hour chatting with us as she greeted people as they arrived at the store. She looked great, better than I've seen her in a while. She was quite witty too, saying this was going to be a mini Dark.Shadows Festival since that's all we've got this year. She didn't actually slam the cruise but did indicate that the cost of the cruise kept a lot of fans from going. She did confirm that there will be a Festival in Tarrytown next summer.

Marie Wallace popped in unannounced, looking fabulous. She made a complete recovery from the fall she took last year in Waterbury. She did have her shoulder replaced. She stayed through the event, taking pictures with fans and just being the Marie we all love.

Barnes & Noble did NOT order enough books. People bought multiple copies and sold out. My friend got the last one. Guess I'll have to get mine from Amazon.

Even though I didn't get the book, I'm still very glad that I went!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Parker's NYC Book Signing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »
That's really unfortunate that B&N didn't order enough books.  I'm glad you had such a great time and that Lara was so generous!

I've been wondering privately if the cruise is happening at all.  I would presume that updates since registration closed in August are being sent only to those who have actually signed up for it, however.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
although i'm not a fan of lara's DS fiction I had planned on attending this event. I enjoy the "mini festival" atmosphere of these types of events whether I really want the actual product being pitched or not and have attended several of KLS's book launches at this location.

unfortunately a health situation kept me away. a friend graciously offered to stop by and pick up the book for me but I declined. sorry to hear they ran out of books but glad it was a well attended event and great to hear that marie is up and about and in good health.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time, Uncle Roger!

I've been wondering privately if the cruise is happening at all.  I would presume that updates since registration closed in August are being sent only to those who have actually signed up for it, however.

The cruise is definitely happening-- as of July, upwards of 125-130 had already sent payments (for a ship that holds 3600).  The info is from a friend who's attending.

I hope you're feeling better, michael c.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
The cruise is definitely happening-- as of July, upwards of 125-130 had already sent payments (for a ship that holds 3600).  The info is from a friend who's attending.

I was seriously considering the cruise, but in the end the dates just don't work for me.  [ghost_sad]  I've never done a cruise, and this would have been a great excuse to go on one.

Back on topic, I was hoping that LP would be coming to Chicago for a signing, but realize that would be highly unlikely...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:41:10 PM »
KMR, Lara did say that she hoped to have another book out in 2014. I assume that it's the Victoria Winters book, though she didn't say so. Try writing or emailing Tor books now and let them know that there's interest in a Chicago appearance.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:42:34 PM »
I just bought my copy (wow, was that expensive - guess the new tire I need will have to wait for another time).  It was that the small bookstore in my small hometown.  I was shocked it was there - just two copies, but I got one of them.  I loved the cover, especially the photo of Joan Bennett in her younger years on the back. 

I'm amazed that small bookstore here is still thriving.  Bookstores are apparently on their way out.  Amazon and that horrible invention, the kindle, has been having a decimating affect on book stores.  (Not to start a fight here, but kindle has been proven to cause a decrease in memory of what was read, as opposed to covers, pages and prints, as far at 25%, based upon various studies, and now several schools in my district are banning kindle as reading "material" in classroom.)  I'm just glad that my bookstore has provided the last two DS novels; the first that came out were from when I lived erstwhere in a larger, cosmpolitan city.  I love book stores.  I could spend hours in one.  Borders is gone and B&N is barely hanging on.  But I will never use a kindle.  Call me a contrarian.  I still won't get a cellphone (use to have one, and when the contract expired, I didn't renew and I only use a land-line), let alone a smartphone.  I don't have a Blu-Ray player (what's the point? - within a couple years, they'll come up with another gadget that'll be trendy and everyone will be breaking down the doors to get it and all those Blu-Ray discs will be useless - I use my DVD player and - gulp! - my VCR). 

Okay, enough of my kvetching (don't get me started on fazebook and nitwitter).  I bought the book.  A book.  And I can't wait to start reading it.

Gerard