Author Topic: #1089/1090: Robservations 09/03/03: Maggie, Attacked  (Read 1307 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1089/1090: Robservations 09/03/03: Maggie, Attacked
« on: September 02, 2003, 09:50:28 AM »
1089 - Gerard locks eyes with Liz, staring her down as the carousel music plays. Who are you? she demands weakly--what are you doing in this house?--tell me who you are--stay away from me, please--stay away from me!  He closes the door, leaving the two of them alone in the dark of the drawing room.

Hallie and David, in especially terrible clothes today, are in his room. He's pacing. Stop thinking about it, she urges. I don't know how you can be so calm, he says. I'm not a BIT calm, she says, exasperated, but I think we should start thinking about other things.  What do you want me to do, he asks, forget all of this happened to us?  No, she says, but we should be grateful nothing has happened for the past two days. That's what's bugging me most, says David--why hasn't anything happened?--why haven't we seen Gerard, Daphne, Tad or Carrie?  I don't want to think about it, says Hallie.
We've got to think about it, insists David, because there's a reason! Maybe it's because we haven't gone to the playroom, says Hallie, do you think that's it? If they wanted us to go to the playroom, says David, we would have gone--I don't know, but I think they have something in store for us. David, she says, do you think maybe we are free, that the spirits have been put to rest?  I know a way to find out, he says. I don't think we should, opines Hallie. But we have to find out, insists David--there's an old legend that says if you stand on someone's grave at midnight, you can tell if their spirit is at rest or not--I'm going to stand on Gerard's grave--tonight. I don't think you should, she says (and I think it sucks as an idea, too). I have to, he says, my mind's made up, don't try and change it (he sounds like Barnabas)--you don't have to come if you doesn't want to. Well, I don't want to, she insists, turning away from him--but I can't let you go by yourself--whatever happens, we're in this together.  She looks at him, and he nods (nice moment).

Gerard is still eye-locking with Liz in the drawing room.  He puts out his hand and makes an odd series of circles close to her face. She turns, now in his control. "I understand everything now," she says, entrances--"the children will not leave this house."

Julia comes downstairs, books in hand, and overhears Liz say, "I know what must be done, and it will be done." She opens the doors and finds Liz alone in the dark. She looks around--who were you talking to? she asks. Liz just looks at her.

Liz, dazed, claims Julia startled her. I was on the telephone, with my lawyer, says Liz in a weird voice. Julia hears the carousel music and says, "I see."  Something wrong? asks Liz. I don't know, says Julia--are you sure no one else was here? Quite sure, says Liz coldly. I'm sorry, says Julia, I just have that strange feeling again--that feeling of evil. I think the idea of spirits in this house is a figment of someone's imagination, says Liz, just as icily--my horoscope has convinced me more than ever that we are not on the brink of a catastrophe. What about the message in your horoscope yesterday? asks Julia--'an enemy will become a friend.' (With friends like Gerard...well, you know the drill.)  Obviously, it had no meaning, says Liz.  I still think we should take the precaution of getting the children out of the house just in case something happens, says Julia. I've already told you, says Liz--I'm certain the children are perfectly safe here. I hope you're right, says Julia--I found something interesting in one of these books. Where did you get them? asks Liz.  Upstairs in the library, says Julia--I found there really was a ship called the Java Queen. At this moment, Liz doesn't recall the model ship David found in the attic. The real Java Queen was shipwrecked near here on this very day in 1841, reveals Julia.
It's a fascinating coincidence, says Liz, but that's all you can make of it. Liz leaves the room after shooting a nasty stare at Julia.  It's more than coincidence, I'm sure of that, says Julia. David and Hallie sneak out of the house behind Julia's back. Julia, engrossed in a book, doesn't even hear the door open. She sits down to read: "On Thursday, the 27th day of August, 1841, the Java Queen, notorious scavenger of the seas, was caught in a storm off the rockbound coast of Maine near the fishing village of Collinsport. Her crew of 23 brigands and cutthroats perished at sea. For years it was believed that he infamous captain, whose identity was never known, survived the wreckage and vowed to unite his evil followers in death, causing them to rise from their graves to kill and plunder once more."  This little tale scares Julia.

Cemetery - Gerard's grave. "In darkness he did live and die." David reads his epitaph aloud and wonders what it means. Hallie neither knows nor wants to--I want to get this over with and go home!  It isn't 12 yet--we must do it at the stroke of midnight, says David. What about the fenced-in area? asks Hallie.  He points to the gate, which has been locked more than 100 years--during the 18th and 19th centuries, he explains, they used to bury criminals and misfits here--most of the graves are unmarked, and there are a lot of legends about them. What sort of legends? she asks. (Sure, David, that's what she needs--to be terrified even more!) About how cruel and mean they were, says David--they must have been, in order to have been buried there--the story is that their souls had no place to go, they weren't wanted in heaven or hell, so they were left to molder in their graves and try to come back from death. Understandably, Hallie says she doesn't want to stay here anymore; it's almost 12. David checks his watch--10 seconds to go--pretty soon we'll know whether Gerard's spirit has come back or not. Hallie breathes heavily, terrified when lightning flashes. Let's leave, she begs.  We have to stay a few more minutes, he insists. She grabs his hand in her fear, holding it in both of hers. Please, she begs--look!  Standing in the bushes, glaring at them, is Gerard.

Gerard approaches Hallie and David as the carousel music plays and the storm crashes around them. He reaches for them with outstretched hands intended to throttle; both run away. They arrive at the front door of Collinwood.  Hallie, breathing hard, says I guess we know what we wanted to know. Be very quiet, warns David--go the back way. He opens the door. Julia, hearing them enter, hides in the drawing room and calls to them--why were you outside just now? We were just walking, answers David. Do you know it's almost one in the morning? she asks. Yes, says David. Nobody walks at that time, says Julia--what were you doing?  She gets no answer--all right, she says, let's go upstairs and talk to Liz. Don't tell my aunt, pleads David. Then suppose you come into the drawing room and tell ME about it, says Julia, brooking no refusal. The kids join her but are silent. She crosses her arms--I'm waiting, she says. We were upstairs in my room, talking, says David.  And David wanted to take me for a walk, continues Hallie, to show me the stars. Yes, agrees David, I was going to show her Gemini, only we can't see it from my room. Julia, skeptical, nods. So you went outside, I see, she says--and that's the whole story. Yes, and the truth, he says--are you going to tell Aunt Elizabeth? I don't know, says Julia. Please don't, begs David, it will just make her upset. And there's really nothing to be upset about! says Hallie, upset. Julia asks, "Isn't there?"  Of course not, says Hallie. I think there is, says Julia, I think you both know more than you're telling. David spies a letter signed with a G in one of Julia's books. While Julia is distracted offering Hallie proof that she's on their side--agreeing not to tell Mrs. Stoddard--if they will help her. David steals, folds and pockets the letter. How can we you? asks Hallie I want you to feel free to confide in me, says Julia, because I can help you. Hallie and David both claim not to know what she's talking about. Julia looks at the children--all right, she sighs, go up to your rooms--I won't tell your Aunt Liz, not now. Thanks, says David, you're a real friend--he leads Hallie upstairs the back way. Julia picks up her books, frustrated, realizing they know so much more than they're telling--but how can I ever get them to admit it? She sighs and takes her books to the foyer, where she spots Liz on the landing. I tried to go to sleep but couldn't, says Liz, setting on the railing the very bust that toppled over and almost hit Julia in 1995.
Julia immediately recognizes it as such--the one that fell and almost killed me! She stares at the bust's blank eyes.

Liz arranges the bust in the odd spot--Julia, do you like it? she asks. Julia doesn't answer.  Is something wrong? asks Liz.  Where did you find the bust? asks Julia. It's been around the house for years, replies Liz. What made you decide to place it there? asks Julia.  I tried it in various places and thought it might look best there, says Liz--why do you ask? When Barnabas and I were in the future, I was in the foyer, says Julia, and that bust was there, and I was directly under it--and someone or something caused it to fall--if it had hit me, it would have killed me. Liz apologizes--but I don't know what you're talking about. Don't you see? asks Julia, it's just another sign of what's to happen--that bust was there, in the future, because you placed  it there now!  I think you and Barnabas are much too preoccupied with what the future holds, says Liz--if you take my advice, you'll forget all about 1995--I believe that disaster you mentioned is never going to take place. And she wanders into the drawing room, leaving Julia to gaze with alarm at the dangerously-placed bust..

Hallie's room - David looks over the letter he found, explaining to Hallie, I took it from one of the books Julia had. Why? she asks. I noticed how old it was and saw it was signed with the letter G--I figured it was from Gerard, he says. What does it say? she asks fearfully. He reads: "Know ye who do not rest, in the town of Collinsport, in the dead of night, watch for the signal as ever before, the green flag in the window, three times shall is wave, as it did in days of yore." The kids admit that they don't understand a word of it, but I'm going to find out, vows David. Haven't we had enough for one day? wails Hallie. You know how angry Gerard is with us, says David, we have to do something to please him--if I go to the tower and find a green flag, I'll know I'm right--and I'll wave it three times and see what happens.  I think you should go to your room, she says--to bed!  Gerard is very angry with us, he reminds her, don't you know what he can do when he's angry?  He leaves, Hallie begging him not to. She closes the door, sensing disaster.

David enters the tower room, candle in hand, and reads from the letter "The green flag in the window--three times shall it wave." He looks around, opening an armoire, closes it. He spies a green flag above one of the windows, takes it, goes to one of the windows, opens it, then sticks the flag out the window and says, "Gerard, if you can hear me, I'm following your instructions."  He begins to wave the green flag.
In the rife-with-evil section of the cemetery he told Hallie about, one of the graves begins to quiver. Are the dead on the rise?

NOTES: Once again, trouble looms big here. Why David would want to do something like wave a green flag, I don't know, unless he's under Gerard's spell as much as Liz is. Poor Liz, once under the influence of Leviathans, now this. She always ends up being in trouble because the bad ghosts and powers need her. Now Gerard's got her, too, and just when she finally came to her senses.

Julia keeps trying to get the kids to confide in her, but they never do, even when she has them cornered.

Is Gerard's intention to bring back the dead from the Java Queen? One can't imagine why David would have told Hallie that creepy story or Julia have learned that info unless it had some special significance.

1090 - David stops short of waving the green flag the third time as a storm fills the tower room with lightning and thunder. Hearing the sci fi sound, he drops the flag. Gerard, he says, is that you?--Gerard, are you angry with me?--I was just doing what I thought you wanted me to do--I'm sorry, Gerard, I don't even know what the note means, I was just trying to please you--what does it mean?--Gerard, tell me what would have happened if I'd have waved the flag the third time--please answer me! Julia, still wearing that horrific brown dress, enters--who were you talking to? she demands. What are you doing here? he asks. What are you doing here is more to the point, she insists--tell me who you were talking to? Myself, he says. You're lying, she says, I heard you calling to someone. No, he says, you can see for yourself there was nobody here. But there was, wasn't there? she asks. I don't know what you're talking about, he says--I'm getting out of here. She stops him--I know why you came here, she says--but I don't know what you expected to find. I have no reason for coming here, he says. There is a reason--you took a piece of paper out of a book in the drawing room, she accuses, I saw you do it, you didn't think I did. He hides the note behind his back--maybe you just thought you saw me do it, he suggests. I know what I saw, she says, reaching behind his back. They struggle.  Let go of me! he cries.  She pries the note from his hand--I know, she says, because I read it before I put it in the book--I don't know what it means, but you do, don't you? No, says David. Then why did you come up here to this room? she demands. I was just curious, says David. Julia finds the green flag lying on the floor,. And you knew you'd find the green flag up here, didn't you? she asks. David denies it. What does this flag mean, and who does it belong to? asks Julia. I don't know, I was just curious, insists David. Listen to me, begs Julia, every day you let go by without telling me or someone else what's happening, you are in more danger--don't you understand that?--you must tell me everything that's been happening! David, hugging himself from cold or fear, insists, "There's nothing to tell!"  What do you know about the Java Queen? asks Julia. Nothing, he says, it's just a model ship I found in the attic. It's the model of a real ship that existed in the 1840's, she says, and the man who wrote this note was its captain and his name was Gerard, wasn't it? I don't know anyone name Gerard and never have, David says. You have seen his spirit in this house, insists Julia. NO! screams David.
Be sensible, says Julia urgently, the man whose spirit you have seen is evil--he is using you and Hallie. I don't want to talk about it anymore, says David, who attempts to leave. She calls his name, warning, I'll have to talk to Aunt Liz. "WELL GO AHEAD, BECAUSE I DON'T CARE!" screams David.  He exits the tower room, leaving Julia frustrated again.

Barnabas enters the drawing room to find Maggie sitting by the fire.  I'm surprised to find you still awake, he says. I couldn't get to sleep, she confesses. If something's troubling you, I wish you'd tell me, he says--after all, we've had so little chance to talk to each other since I've returned. I know, she says, seeming disappointed--I should have made a point of talking to you before this. About what? he asks. About the children, she says. Has something happened to them? he asks. Yes, I'm certain, says Maggie, I don't know exactly what it is, and that's what's so frustrating--but something has happened to change them, that much I'm sure of. Describe that feeling, he says. The children have become cold and distant, she says, they rarely smile anymore and seem uninvolved in their lessons--it's almost as if they're doing the lessons for my benefit, not their own--I blamed myself at first. You mustn't do that, says Barnabas, whatever is happening to them is not your fault. Barnabas, she explains, there have been times when I've felt a kind of presence in this house, not something I can defined, but it's made me uncomfortable, even frightened me--it's that feeling of being watched without knowing who it is--I felt that presence in my room tonight--that's why I couldn't sleep--I feel that presence in this room right now--Barnabas, it's a terrible thing to be frightened of something you can't see. Throughout her speech, Barnabas has been watching her intently.  He holds out his arms and she moves into his embrace.  He pushes her collar aside to expose her throat...

Julia interrupts Barnabas before he can thrust in his fangs, sharply calling his name, sending Barn and Maggie flying apart.
I'd like to talk to you, Barnabas, says Julia. Come in, he invites-- Maggie and I were just talking about the children (and what ELSE did you try to have?)--she tells me she's noticed a very definite change in them. Through gritted teeth, Julia says, I'm more concerned about them than ever. Why? asks Maggie. I just had an unpleasant scene with David in the tower room, explains Julia. What was he was doing there this time of night? asks Maggie. He wouldn't tell me, says Julia, he got very angry and left--Maggie, I think you should go and find out if he's gotten to bed. I'll do that immediately, agrees Maggie, and leaves Barn and Jul alone. Julia crosses her arms--I have the feeling I arrived in the doorway just in time, she says. Just in time for what? inquires Barnabas. I saw you looking at Maggie's neck, she accuses, she almost became your victim once before--you found it very difficult to resist her--and that's why you went to parallel time. I'm in complete control of myself, Barnabas assures her, and if at any time I feel I'm losing my control, I will stay away from Maggie--believe me, she's perfectly safe!

Next day - 9:30 - Julia leaves the kitchen area, still wearing the ugly brown dress. Maggie comes downstairs.  Did you speak to David? asks Julia. No, he was already asleep by the time I got to his room, says Maggie. It's imperative you get through to him, says Julia--he won't listen to me or Barnabas, so you are the logical choice. I will do my best, promises Maggie--do you have any idea what's caused this change in him?  Fear, says Julia, but finding the source of that fear is impossible to do--stamping her foot--"But we've got to keep trying!"  Julia goes upstairs. Maggie enters the drawing room, sits down and starts reading the newspaper. David comes in--I want something from the desk, he says. I'm glad you're here, notes Maggie--there's something I want to talk to you about.  David, rummaging through papers, says, I can't talk now, I have something to do, someone to see. Who's that? asks Maggie. Just a friend, says David--don't worry, I'll be back in time for my lessons. He leaves the house, some kind of blue paper in hand, Maggie calling after him in frustration. (She looks pretty in red today.)

Sebastian Shaw is doing paperwork at his place when David stops by.  Though Shaw isn't expecting him, he willingly opens the doors to David. What can I do for you? Shaw asks. I'd like to have you do my horoscope, he says. Why? asks Shaw. I'd just like to know what's going to happen in the future, replies David.  Stuttering, Shaw asks, has something has happened to make you concerned about the future?  No, I was just curious, says David--and if it's a question of money, I have $40 saved up--he shows him the envelope he took from the desk. "Put that money back in your pocket, David! says Shaw, infuriated by the sight of it. David complies--won't you do it? he asks Shaw. I didn't say that, says Shaw, feeling badly. Are you afraid? asks David, of what it might tell you? Of course not, says Shaw. Then you can do it, says David. I need a little time to think it over, insists Shaw--go home--I'll be in touch. All right, agrees David, if that's the way it has to be. Leaning against the doors after closing them, Shaw thinks to himself, "I can't go on this way!--I've lied to Mrs. Stoddard, to all of them--the boy is going to die unless somebody does something soon--I can't stand by and let it happen--I'll go to Mrs. Stoddard and tell her everything!"

Maggie is doing paperwork at the drawing room desk when Shaw knocks.  Mrs. Stoddard is out for the day, she says. When will she be back? he asks, it's very important I speak to her. I expect her later on this afternoon, says Maggie--is there anything I can do to help?  Are you one of the family? he asks. She introduces herself as Maggie Evans--I work for Mrs. Stoddard. Clearly smitten by her prettiness, he says, it's nice to meet you. Maggie smiles back, looking at him intensely--I've heard of you, she says--Mrs. Stoddard has often spoken of you, quite often, I knew who you were when I opened the door. Thanks for not reacting the way everyone else does, he says. You mean your resemblance to Jeb Hawkes? she asks--I was prepared for that. He grins--I wasn't prepared for YOU at all, he says--I've heard your name mentioned, but no one ever said how lovely you were. You're very direct, she says, smiling back.  Does it frighten you? he asks. No, I find it disarming, she says. I want to disarm you a little further, he says--would you like to go to dinner tonight?
"You're a very unusual man," says Maggie, pleased--I am flattered. But you're going to decline, he finishes. Actually, she says, I'd be inclined to say yes--she smiles some more. (Lots of teeth in this scene, all those grins of attraction.)

Shaw is back at home when Roxanne comes up to him and asks, why did you go out today?  How did you find out I was out today? he demands angrily. I have my ways, you know that, she reminds him coolly--where did you go? To buy some materials, he says. That's all? she quizzes. Yes! he says--that's all.
You're being defensive, she says, I think there's something you're keeping from me. There is something, he agrees--I've decided I'm going out tonight--unless you have any objections. None at all, she assures him--it was unwise of you to leave today, and in the future, you will exercise more caution--"You understand what I mean?" she says significantly, eyes flashing. Your meaning is all too clear, he says--good night.  He leaves. Smiling, she follows.

Collinwood - drawing room - Maggie is having dinner with Sebastian Shaw, Julia tells Barn.  I can't imagine how THAT came about, remarks Barnabas. I don't understand why something like this upsets you so, says Julia.  (poor woman)   She only met him this afternoon for the first time, Barn points out, what does she know about  him? What do any of us know about him? asks Julia. I know enough that he's either a charlatan or complete, deliberate liar, says Barn--that horoscope he charted for Elizabeth is obviously a fake--Maggie is seeing a man who can't be trusted--that's what troubles me. With a sly smile, Julia asks, "Are you sure that's all, Barnabas?" I am positive, he says, annoyed. They hear Maggie return, thanking Shaw for a lovely evening. I hope I can see you again, he says.  I don't see why not, she says. She thanks him again and they bid each other goodbye--still smiling. She closes the doors, then leans against them, very happy. Barnabas greets her--Julia and I were wondering if you had a chance to talk to David. I had no more luck than you did, she says. They all go into the drawing room and close the doors.

Shaw returns home and slams the door.  Roxanne, angry, sits in a chair right near the door.  "You came back earlier than I expected you," she notes.  I didn't say I was going to be late, Shaw says. That's true, you didn't, she says--did you enjoy yourself? Yes, I did, he says. Did she enjoy herself? asks Roxanne. Who? he asks. Why, Miss Evans, of course, she says sarcastically. I should have known you'd be a little bit too curious, he says. I just happened to be passing by the Collinsport Inn, she says, and I just HAPPENED to see the two of you at a table!  Will you forgive me if I find all this a little hard to believe? asks Shaw. Sebastian, I'd forgive you almost anything, she says--are you planning on seeing Miss Evans again?  As a matter of fact, I am, he answers. She gives him a dirty look.

The camera focuses on a large model ship on an armoire in the drawing room. All we can do is maintain vigilance, Barnabas tells Maggie and Julia--Maggie, watch David as closely as possible. I will, says Maggie. I'm going back to the Old House, says Barn--is there anything else you want from me, Julia? (How many possible answers are there to this question, including "Bear your children"?)  No, answers Julia, I'm going to be looking through some old books and will let you know if I find anything new. Maggie volunteers to walk Barnabas to the gate--I need some fresh air. They walk off together. Julia gets a book from the desk and sits on the sofa with it. She flips it open.

Midnight (the clock appears in neat squares with fancy camerawork) - Julia stands, still reading the book. She hears someone come in and goes to see who it is. It's Maggie, who, Julia realizes, has been gone almost an hour. Maggie wanders to the stairs, not very steadily, and nearly passes out. Julia takes her into her arms.
Maggie's head tips backward, revealing two very large, bloody puncture wounds on her throat. Julia stares at them in disbelief--did Barnabas break his promise?

NOTES: Did Barnabas lie to Julia and attack Maggie? He seemed to be considering it for a few moments there. This answers the question of whether or not he's still a vampire, but he claims he has "control."  I figure Julia is supplying him with Windcliff blood. Wasn't he really needing it badly before he went to PT? Did Barnabas attack Maggie and lie to Julia, who had to go through bouts of jealousy in this episodes, one with Maggie, the other with Roxanne?

And what happened to the Quentin/Maggie romance brought on by Angelique? Where is she, anyway? She wanted Barnabas back, was stirring up trouble, then she's gone, along with their curse. I hope she came to her senses. Barnabas gave Maggie a ring before PT, but I guess that doesn't hold any meaning, either, since she's now dating Sebastian and he's still mooning over Rox.

I hope you paid close attention to the scenes between Sebastian and Roxanne. There are some clues in there, I won't say to what, but definite clues to this mystery.

Poor David. I can understand his need to have his horoscope done, and Sebastian's unwillingness to do it for him. He's lied to much to the family, how can he tell the truth now--and to this child he knows it going to die? And yet, morally, he feels he has to, and he's right.  But, if he goes to Liz now, what good will it do, since she's completely under Gerard's influence? She will hand the kids right over to the evil ghosts, as things stand now.

And poor David is having so many fights with Julia, who is only trying to protect him. One wishes she could spank the truth out of him, but a tad (LOL) old for that.

Love, Robin