Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0501  (Read 961 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0501
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »
Robservations #501

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0501

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »
At the end of the previous episode, Barnabas beats Adam while wearing his cape, but in this repeat teaser he has removed his cape and hung it on the coat tree.

Eventually Julia convinces Adam that he loves Barnabas. Adam drops Barnabas and runs out, full of sorrow and remorse.

Julia rather unethically but desperately suggests, Perhaps we should just let Adam go and allow nature to take its course. (That is, she hopes Adam will eventually fall under a car or something.) No, Barnabas says--I feel responsible for him. Julia dryly observes, I know you well enough to realize that's not the real reason. Barnabas admits unhappily, I feel that I have to kill Adam now, especially since Adam knows my name. Julia can only speculate, Something must have gone wrong during the experiment and damaged that wonderful brain that Lang had boasted of. If only Lang were still alive! Barnabas exclaims in frustration. Everything would be different! Picking up the shotgun, he orders Julia, Stay here. He leaves. Naturally she follows him a moment later.

Adam wanders aimlessly, his first experience of thunder and lightning terrifying. He hides while he listens to Julia and Barnabas discuss what to do with him. Adam learns one more important word: "Kill."

Eventually Adam's wanderings take him to Collinwood. He creeps up to the drawing room window and sees two women inside. The large, gracious drawing room with its cheerful fire is a far cry from his bare and lonely underground cell. One of the women is older, with dark hair piled regally on top of her head. (Once again, Elizabeth is wearing the horrible, rolled-collar yellow print caftan.) But the other is young. Her long, pale hair gleams like living gold in the firelight. Innocently but irresistibly attracted to this wonder, Adam smiles at the mere sight of it. He hides and listens to their conversation (like in Frankenstein--the novel!).

In reation to a particularly loud thunderclap, Adam leans against the front door of Collinwood and practically falls inside. He stumbles into the foyer. Hearing the door open, Carolyn steps into the foyer to shut it--then screams at the sight of him. Elizabeth hurries to her daughter’s side. Adam is incoherent, scared, and in pain, but mother and daughter only see a strange, shambling monster, his face seamed with terrible scars. What do you want? Elizabeth asks. He finally manages to say, Music! Carolyn goes back to the drawing room and turns on the radio--which plays the theme from A Man and a Woman. Perhaps sharing the opinion of more educated (though smaller) music critics, Adam shouts angrily, Not music! He knocks the radio onto the floor. Hoping to give Carolyn a chance to escape, Elizabeth tries to take Adam to the kitchen, offering him food (Naomi's genes are in there somewhere!). But when Carolyn tries to get out the drawing room window, Adam is there in two huge strides and grabs her. Her struggles are quite useless, since Adam would easily make about ten of her. Barnabas and Julia return from their fruitless search. Hearing Carolyn's screams, they rush in, but Barnabas can't get a clear shot at Adam. Picking Carolyn up as if she weighed no more than a twig and tucking her under his arm, he runs out of the house with her. Barnabas runs after them.

Thinking only of Carolyn's life, Elizabeth is instantly on the alert when Julia notes that Barnabas has a gun. You were looking for him, weren't you? Elizabeth asks suspiciously. Clever Julia takes advantage of Elizabeth's maternal anxiety by fobbing her off with the explanation that Adam is a prowler.

Carolyn fights against Adam's grip until she exhausts herself and faints. When Adam realizes she's unconscious, in great distress he lays her gently on the ground. He strokes her hair and face, sobbing all the while.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:59:46 AM »
I got a kick out of Bennett's & Barrett's scene when Tony was on the phone, and their conversation about Cassandra thereafter.

This entire episode seemed off-kilter to me. It never quite hit the mark. There was a lot of good stuff though. Julia's postion was very odd and interesting though quite logical in a way. It' like: We tried, we failed, let's hope he gets hit by a truck.

I got a chuckle from Barn acting like Julia was a nagging wife who's insisted on joining her husband duck hunting. I love it when the characters act "normal".

Barrett and Rodan get the acting prizes this episode, IMO.

Adam is a music snob, lol.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
If it were not for storyline purposes, Julia would be pumping Adam full of drugs and why not send him to her own sanitarium out of harms way.  Julia's  next plan is  Adam ending up as road kill. Where is Matt Morgan or drunken Roger when you need them? Barnabas as usual true to form says he must kill him.
Nancy does a nice job of passing out in her giant kidnappers arms. It would have been nice if he had climbed to the top of the tower and dangled her around.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »
The newly formed Adam, apparently, has more sophisticated taste in music than I have, since I confess to having the "A Man and a Woman" theme song (original soundtrack version) on my ipod.

At what point, I wonder, did the Collinsport police department grow weary of that never-ending stream of emergency calls from the great house of Collinwood? Did they eventually start rolling their eyes, declaring in tones of exasperation, "Not again!" or "So, what is it this time?" every time they got another call to help straighten something out up there?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 03:39:52 PM »
In that town, I think you do what the Collinses want...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor