Author Topic: TLATKLS  (Read 2553 times)

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: TLATKLS
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2002, 11:48:14 PM »

I know from my own experience that there are many people who only have computer access at work and read boards and lists on their lunch break.  

Nancy

I asked both ladies I talked to about why they didn't post, one said she was too shy [so I tried to bite her[fangs] - just to show that being bitten aint that bad!] the other gave the 'at work' excuse, then went on to say they didn't know enuff about the show to have a say-so!?! ?!?  [like MY STUFF MAKES SENSE?]Both were a bit younger than us first gen fans - and one said something like being interested in all things from the 60's and sought out DS for that reason!  Both said they learn alot about the show from the board and our perspectives [even my warped ones!][jester]

But even tho I have some pretty strange clothes [see band pics] I know what I like in my wardrobe!  So come on [you know who you are] give us your posts!

cheers,
Ringo
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2002, 02:19:31 AM »
Hmmmmm....being the last full time homemaker in America, I hadn't thought about the "at work" problem.  I get on and off this thing all day....when the kid is at school and the hubby at work.  Once they come home I'm lucky I can get in the room, much less in the chair.

But I suspect most people are intimidated by our vast knowledge of the show (Oh, Puleeeze....I've forgotten half the characters!) and don't want to sound like novices.

It's simple people....if you don't think you know enough, ask us a QUESTION!  What we don't know, we'll be glad to invent, I'm sure!
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2002, 01:25:14 PM »
Ringo,
You couldnt be more right about Kathryn's attitude towards fans. I met her for the first time in 1986, (20th Anniversary Festival in Newark), and could not believe how nice she was. I have never seen her refuse to do a picture with a fan or sign an autograph. In fact once a fan asked her to sign a picture of her which she didnt like, so she gave the fan one of the pictures she was selling at her table for free, signed it and did a picture with the fan. In addition she was very gracious in explaining why she didnt like the picture, (it truly wasnt one of her best her eyes looked crossed).

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2002, 05:18:31 PM »
To give another perspective on of why people lurk could be a "fear".  I know this is the only place I post.  The fact that this is a safe place means so very much.  I even let my daughter post.  She hasn't for awhile.  You never get any junk mail from here or anyone harrassing any one else.  I happen to be very wary of the internet, have heard too many scary stories about werid things that happen.  

Let me tell the lurkers this is a totally safe place and so very much FUN.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2002, 05:49:19 PM »
I think you're absolutly right Birdie...I've never been on any other forum so I've never had a problem and didn't think about that possibility.

But anyone who's been "lurking around" reading us for any length of time can see that we treat each other very well...so why be afraid to jump right in?

Perhaps we need a special place on here, where new posters, who might hesitate to start a new topic or jump into a thread with 30 replies, can be directed to begin...then the rest of us can go there once in a while and post messages of welcome, inviting the new kids to come back again!

I'm up for any ideas that will get our silent partners to join the party.
Raineypark

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2002, 06:35:44 PM »
I think your 100% right raineypark. Being somewhat new myself, (mainly due to my long hiatus from the Internet), I have found there are many people who post here that I do not know. However that does not stop me from rolling up my sleeves and joining in. I have enjoyed the conversations and topics presented on this and other DS boards and have alot to say, (hopefully not so much that I get on someones nerves).

I would encourage all of us to be as welcoming as possible to all new users, (not that we are not doing that already).

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2002, 06:34:25 PM »
Dear Lurkers:

Two years ago, I got fed up with another DS board where the posters frequently attacked each other.  I stumbled across this one (known by a different name at the time) and was impressed with its collegiality, intelligence, warmth, and wit.  It didn't occur to me, but yes, this is indeed a safe, decent place.

After posting here for over a year, I met a number of our group for the first time at last year's fest in NYC, and they are very nice, fun bunch.  Plus, if you're a little eccentric (okay, crazy), you'll fit right in with the rest of us!  [crazy]

Inasmuch as the last fest took place in the World Trade Center -- just three weeks before September 11 -- I was also deeply moved by the thoughts we exchanged on this board shortly after the tragedy.   We went from being friends to becoming a family.  

I, too, was once intimidated by the scholarly knowledge level of some posters.  I don't consider myself a DS scholar, but I'm a longtime fan who loves so many aspects of the show.  I think that's really all you need to contribute your own unique viewpoints.  And the scholars are always more than happy to answer your questions.

So come on in ... the water's fine!  [wavey]

Ben

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2002, 09:51:19 PM »

I, too, was once intimidated by the scholarly knowledge level of some posters.  I don't consider myself a DS scholar, but I'm a longtime fan and love so many aspects of the show.  I think that's really all you need to contribute your own unique viewpoints.  And the scholars are always more than happy to answer your questions.

So come on in ... the water's fine!  [wavey]

Ben

DITTO!-Ben, you couldn't of said it nicer!

Hey, thanks for the compliment ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2002, 07:08:52 AM »

Inasmuch as the last fest took place in the World Trade Center -- just three weeks before September 11 -- I was also deeply moved by the thoughts we exchanged on this board shortly after the tragedy.   We went from being friends to becoming a family.  

[wavey]

Ben

http://www.mindspring.com/~winston9/WTC.jpg

I don't think I saw any of the 'family' post anything about this powerful photo of the twin towers of light.  Even tho I wasn't at the 'fest I walked thru the area many times, and still take it personally.  If you haven't seen the photo clik on the above.

also on the thread topic - did ya'll notice how Barn/Frid looked TRULY excited today  :P as he was waiting on TLATKLS to arrive in the garden with Nancy?  His chest was heaving and he was nearly panting!  [Lalenya, can't blame ya.][just a sneaky way to get this beauty-ful topic back on top!] ;D
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2002, 04:40:12 PM »
I hafta tell ya, I post on various message boards dealing with sortsa topics, from the ridiculous to the sublime, and NONE of them have the people of fantastic quality as this board.  Every single person here is a treasure - no one should be shy to post or be afraid of "what others might think".  We'll all think you're just another person of fantastic quality.  C'mon, lurkers - don't be shy.  Join the family who welcomes you!  Just don't ever say anything nasty about TLATKLS, or Bob, Ringo and I among others will give you such a pinch, and nothing mean about Quentin, either, or Anne's gonna tell on ya!

Gerard