Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0516  (Read 844 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0516
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:40:21 PM »
Robservations #516

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0516

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »
The concluding scene from ep. 515 was reshot for today. Julia is now wearing her gray woolen coat. Trask makes his presence known as Willie gets to work freeing Barn. Trask warns that if they don't stop, someone will die. Julia isn't fazed (much) and cleverly sics Trask on Cassangelique. Once Trask takes  off, Willie quickly removes enough bricks to reveal the unconscious Barnabas, hands bound high above his head (which is sagging to the left again), but not looking very much the worse for wear. He even shows no growth of a beard. (I suppose that being walled up for a mere three days is no big deal for someone who was chained in a coffin for 171 years, i.e. 1796-1967.)

Meanwhile Cassangelique convinces Elizabeth that she's actually Naomi and plies her with sherry.

When Barn wakes up, his first sight is Julia's anxious face. Having been carefully brought up, he thanks her for saving his life--again--and he seems to mean it. Barn, Julia and Willie wish Trask success.

Cassangelique has taken "Naomi" to the mausoleum to show her her final resting place. Someone has covered Naomi's name plate with a sheet of paper that has started to come loose, but like the wonderful trouper she was, Joan Bennett leans up against it in agony as it it really were blank stone. Cassangelique taunts Elizabeth further, but somehow, Elizabeth summons enough will power to rush out of the mausoleum. Cassandra laughs triumphantly anyhow, even though her twentieth-century victims are proving to be not so cooperative as their eighteenth-century counterparts. Just as she's enjoying herself, though, Trask appears, brandishing a torch. He declares, Witch! You are the with I have been seeking, and I will destroy you in the only way you can be destroyed--by fire! Burn, witch, burn! He sets her alight (well not really--flames shoot up quite close to the camera) and laughs himself as her laughter turns to screams....

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:59:44 PM »
This is one of my top three favorite DS episodes.  I love how Cassandra looks (the wig is finally working!) and I LOVE how unremittingly vicious she is with Elizabeth.  (One might think that Cassandra, reminded of Naomi's kindness waaaaaaay back in the 18th century, might be a little more forgiving of her 1960s doppelganger.  But then again, in this phase of her being, Angelique is at her most destructive.)  That scene in the mausoleum is incredibly spooky (nice use of shadows to heighten Cassandra's cheekbones and make her eyes look extra witchy/psychotic), and the episode's end is a nice reversal -- always fun to watch Our Favorite Witch caught up in her own mischief.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:14:34 PM »
I'm glad John Karlen's there with Julia and Trask, to ground this scene with his fear... though I suppose ghosts are still a bit of a shock at this point still, we're getting to the point where they'll be popping up right and left-- and Willie reminds us they're supposed to be scary, as Julia reasons matter-of-factly with Trask.

By making Liz Naomi, Cass gave Liz Naomi's motherly psychic powers (that she didn't have in 1795), and she senses Barnabas is in trouble.

Where's Naomi's real body, while Cass uses her empty coffin as a prop  to help to scare Liz?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 06:50:08 PM »
Is Naomi's coffin empty? I haven't seen these in a long time....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:04:11 PM »
Yes, empty. Cass/Ange points to it as a waiting space for "Naomi/Liz".

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 03:45:59 AM »
Parker does okay with the OVO.

The Old House basement set keeps changing. The alcove next to Barn is closed last ep, this ep in the reenactment it is an open thruway again. And in my memory the alcove on the other side wasn't there, nor was it bricked up. Maybe I'm hallucinating.

Hall looks great.

"Oh, Willie! Shut up and get to work!" (lol)

Karlen really hams it up and it is good. Julia pleading with Trask was iffy for me. It seemed ridiculous but then I realized, we could see Trask, but I don't think Julia could, so then it didn't seem so stupid - plus, when I thought of how much Jules cares for Barn and she was pleading for his life, well, that made it seem okay too.

"AAAAAHHHIIIIIIIIT'S BARNABAS!!" (lol)

You might think that Liz would throw Cass out on her can. But I can think of many reasons she does not. I'm not as thrilled with the Cass/Liz thang as Nicky is but to each his own. If it had been anyone else opposite Cass/Parker, then maybe. I guess my not being an Angelique fan and being a big Liz fan is what's really wrong.  And though I hate to admit it, Bennett doesn't always pull it off. Or maybe I just hate seeing a weakened Liz. I don't know.

"He moved!" (lol)

I really liked the scene of Barn's awakening. Everyone played it perfectly. Hall & Frid subdued and Willie excited but controlled (well, at least after his initial outburst). Hall and Frid played the hopefulness of their characters superbly. I thought Frid was in rare form. I loved every bit of the scene. And it looked great too. Willie states they saw Trask so I guess I was wrong about that. I like and agree with Magnus' thoughts on Willie's hysteria 'grounding' the audience amid all the nonchalance. I don't know that I'll ever be convinced that Willie should be so in love with Barnabas, though. And I can't wait to see Barn's reaction to the latest on Adam.

The tomb states Naomi died in 1821 - I guess this was done to carry out the myth of the whole Barn thing not happening. Bennett has some good moments here. I was happy to see that Liz still has some fight left in her. Parker is good in this episode, I'll give you that (begrudgingly, lol).

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 03:54:28 AM »
The 1821 death date for Naomi presumably carried over for the original backstory for Barnabas, in which his own death happened in the 1830s (I'm thinking 1832 or 1837 for some reason?).  I should write, THE PROP for Naomi's tablet in the crypt was a holdover from previous years and nobody probably bothered to think, "Hey, we changed the storyline, we need to fix this."

I remember reading long ago, in an issue of 16 I think, that in one scripting session around 1970, nobody in the room could remember what had happened when in a previous storyline.  They were baffled as to how to proceed and then somebody said, "Hey, the studio kids are outside--let's ask THEM!"  and of course, they were able to quote chapter and verse.

G.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 04:11:27 AM »
The are not using the arches behind the basement steps today. THe espisodes seems really washed out.
And I was right. They are using the mausoleum so the arches were unavailable for the basement set.
This is the first time I have seen inside the coffins and it is waiting for Elizabeth now Naomi. Trask appears to stop the plan and Cassandra ends up swallowed up by a huge gust of flame.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times