Author Topic: Guest Stars?  (Read 4469 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Guest Stars?
« on: August 22, 2003, 02:28:41 PM »
Summer 1970! This is a fun storyline so says I. But I was thinking today, if you could have a dream "guest star" on DS who would it be? What would be their storyline or purpose?

Personally, for me it would be Vincent Price hands down. I would have died had he ever had a guest shot on the show, however brief. As for storyline, I'm not quite sure. He could easily have played Quentin's father at least, being another handsome blue-eyed gentleman from the south. (Handsome you say? Have you ever seen House of Seven Gables or Dragonwyck? The man was damn fine in his youth).

When Quentin walked up on the picnic today, for a split second I thought he was wearing a sweater. The first thing that popped into my mind was Bing Crosby.

~Arashi

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Guest Stars?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 03:25:05 PM »
Arashi,
     What a delicious idea.  Vincent would be wonderful in the role as an elegant and charming gentlemen suitor for the beautiful Ms. Bennett.  He could be good or evil.  I would'nt care which.  Great Idea!
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 03:30:25 PM »
Did Vincent Price and Joan Bennett ever appear on screen together?

Where's our resident expert?  Oh, Lucaphil!!  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 03:34:27 PM »
I would want The Q-man YUMMY!!!!!!!
           Love Anne ;) :-* :-* :P
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 03:35:52 PM »
I would have loved to have seen Gale Sondergaard appear in DS, hopefully in a role that would have required her to have had some juicy scenes opposite Grayson and Joan.  According to KLS, not a terribly reliable source, Gale visited the set one day and DC talked about wanting to have her on the show--it may have all just been a joke.  Gale did play a wonderful DS-esque part in one of my favorite 70s telefilms, The Cat Creature, directed by queen bee Curtis Harrington.  (WHEN will it be released on home VHS???)

A lot of the Forties horror stars would have been great guests on DS.  Think of Elizabeth Russell, for example--"moya sestra" in Cat People.

G.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 04:39:30 PM »
Hey gang,

How about actor Dwight Frye?  Now, before you all  shout/scream at me: "Who the heck is/was Dwight Frye!?!," Dwight Frye was a character actor who appeared in many of the classic Universal horror films of the 1930s.

For example, I believe that Dwight Frye was Dr. Frankenstein's incompetent lab assistant, Fritz,  in "The Bride of Frankenstein."  Specifically, Dwight Frye is the guy, who, during the experiment to bring Elsa Lanchester to life, shouts: "The storm is rising!," as the doctor's kites are raised above the lab to attract the "life-providing" bolts of lightening (sort of like the estimable Dr. Eric Lang's "life force" scheme).

Unfortunately, "Fritz" is thrown from the top of the lab/castle by a really ticked-off Frankenstein monster.  (Hey, what can I tell you?  "Elsa" just didn't go for Frankie's ruggedly-handsome good looks!)

I think that Mr. Frye also appeared in the orignal "Dracula," flick with the great Bela Lugosi.  Mr. Frye was particularly adept at playing loopy, "round-the-bend" (as the Brits say) characters.  Perhaps Dwight Frye could have played either Ezra Braithewaite's ne'er-do-well younger brother or, possibly, Willie Loomis' long-lost daddy.

Evelyn Ankers was another veteran of the Universal films, who I would have liked to have seen guest star on Dark Shadows.  Ms. Ankers starred in "The Wolfman" and several other Universal horror flicks.

I once read an apocryphal story, that a Universal film director was giving Ms. Ankers some last minute instructions before filming a particularly dramatic and climactic scene.  The director explained to Ms. Ankers that, in this scene, her father had been just pummeled to death by Frankenstein, her sister had just been bitten by Dracula, and she was about to run for her sweet life after Lawrence Talbot had just transformed into England's version of the "Wily Coyote."

The director explained to Ms. Ankers that, at this point, he would shoot a close-up of her face, so that she could convey to the movie audience, the extent of the unremitting terror she was experiencing at that very moment.  Supposedly, Ms. Ankers looked at the director incredulously and said: "Are you 'bleeping' kidding me!!!"

Well, so much for dubious film history.

Bob the Bartender

PS Perhaps Ms. Ankers could have payed Maggie Evans' late mom in a flashback sequence.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 04:47:38 PM »
Dwight Frye....dear Goddess, what an inspired choice, Bob.

He played "Renfield"....the spider-gobbling psychopath who went to Transylvania to sell the Count real estate in England, and came home with the most maniacal laugh in the history of cinema.

Willie Loomis' daddy?  Hell, he WAS Willie Loomis!!! [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 04:48:21 PM »
Vincent Price is wonderful as  "Quentin Daddy".  I love Vincent Price.  And you are right...he was damned fine in his youth...'Dragonwyck'...he was spellbounding. [9391]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 04:51:59 PM »
Dwight Frye....dear Goddess, what an inspired choice, Bob.

He played "Renfield"....the spider-gobbling psychopath who went to Transylvania to sell the Count real estate in England, and came home with the most maniacal laugh in the history of cinema.

Willie Loomis' daddy?  Hell, he WAS Willie Loomis!!! [lghy]

Raineypark,

Thank you!!! How could I forget the exact name of: "Renfield, the man who eats spiders!"?

Bob the Bartender, who fervently believes that the greatest Universal horror flick of all was the classic "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein"!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 04:55:17 PM »
Bob! Oh My God! Never! I love Dwight Frye!

He even had a bit part in the movie Frankenstein meets the Wolfman. (I am also a big fan of Lon Chaney Jr.)  ;D

He would have been an awesome guest actor on the show!

And I agree with you onyx_treasure, he would have been a wonderful suitor for the lovely Ms. Bennett. Though like you, I can't decide if I would rather see him play a nice guy, or a villan...

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 05:18:57 PM »
Hey gang, i just goofed on this question.
I would like to have Barry Manilow guest star
on DS!!!   Between him and David Selby!!!
OH  MY HOW YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
             Love Anne :P :-* ;D
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 06:39:33 PM »
Bob! Oh My God! Never! I love Dwight Frye!

He even had a bit part in the movie Frankenstein meets the Wolfman. (I am also a big fan of Lon Chaney Jr.)  ;D

He would have been an awesome guest actor on the show!

And I agree with you onyx_treasure, he would have been a wonderful suitor for the lovely Ms. Bennett. Though like you, I can't decide if I would rather see him play a nice guy, or a villan...

Arashi,

Lon Chaney, Jr. was a fine actor, I agree.  Mr. Chaney's greatest role was as Lenny in "Of Mice and Men."

By the way, I particularly liked the casting of the burly and physically-imposing Lon Chaney, Jr. as Larry Talbot, wandering son of Lord Talbot (portrayed by the dynamic and, comparatively-speaking, diminutive Claude Raines) in "The Wolfman."

Yes, the affable and laconic American son, and the imperious and eloquent British father.  Quite a contrast!

Of course, Lon Chaney, Jr. had a memorable scene with Lou Costello in "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein."  Larry Talbot explains to Wilbur (Lou C.) that, "tonight when the moon is full, I'll turn into a wolf."

To which Bud Abbott's partner replies: "Yeah, you and about twenty million other guys!"

Bob the Bartender

PS The late Marty Feldman (of "Young Frankenstein" fame) would have been great as the last, remaining member of the Leviathan race, IMHO.  (Somehow, I don't think that Carolyn would have fallen for him as she did for DS "fan favorite," Jeb Hawks!)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 06:51:04 PM »
The director explained to Ms. Ankers that, in this scene, her father had been just pummeled to death by Frankenstein, her sister had just been bitten by Dracula, and she was about to run for her sweet life after Lawrence Talbot had just transformed into England's version of the "Wily Coyote."

The director explained to Ms. Ankers that, at this point, he would shoot a close-up of her face, so that she could convey to the movie audience, the extent of the unremitting terror she was experiencing at that very moment.  Supposedly, Ms. Ankers looked at the director incredulously and said: "Are you 'bleeping' kidding me!!!"

If that story is true, it's absolutely hysterical! [lghy] But it's also a perfect illustration of how horror actors often have to have a even stronger suspension of disbelief than their audience in order to be able to perform their scenes believably. After all, it's not every day (night?) that one person's life has Frankenstein, Dracula and the Wolfman running amuck all at once! [b003]

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2003, 08:02:24 PM »
How about the notorious Alfred Hitchcock playing a guest spot on the show?   He could have been one of  Dr.Lang's insane relatives. (as if DrLang wasn't crazy enough)

Great topic btw Arashi!!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2003, 10:54:13 PM »
Even though I think he'd have to fall victim, Edmund Gwenn (Kris Kringle in 'Miracle' and more impressive, the scientist in the 50's atomic type movie, "THEM!")

His sweet, gentle smile, but keen intellect. Perhaps a visiting fellow/friend of T. E. Stokes.

And absolutment, Bette Davis as TLATKLS's mother!!

Think about it ;)

Patti
What a Woman!