Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0502  (Read 861 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0502
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »
Robservations #502

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0502

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 11:51:34 PM »
Wiilie's dream.... in which he ACTS AS HARD AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!!!   John Karlen pulls out all stops, perhaps having the time of his life, zombie walking, even acting with his tongue (I don't mean speaking, I mean doing.... things, with his tongue) if such a thing is possible.

I wonder if he decided it was best for his long-term career not to be seen taking this dream thing seriously....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 12:10:18 AM »
Adam has the chance to kill Willie, but thinks better of it, proving that he is the better man.

Adam has finally taken Carolyn to a root cellar somewhere on the estate. He sets her down gently and begins stroking her shining hair, of which he is so fond. Carolyn revives and tries to communicate with Adam. She realizes that his arm hurts him. With great urgency he tells her, If both live. He seems to think she knows how to help. She doesn’t understand, but she senses that he doesn’t want to hurt her--and that he won’t let her escape. Terrified, Carolyn asks, Are you going to kill me? To her great astonishment, he answers, Kill Barnabas. Later on, though, she can't get through to him and screams, You're nothing but a savage!

I remember thoroughly enjoying John Karlen's over-the-top portrayal of abject terror! The tape-recorded wolf snarls were a hoot too! But Willie's in trouble, because no one knows where Carolyn is....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:55:05 AM »
Liz is lovely in lavender. Though the ensemble looks blue in the woods. And sleeveless to boot. I wonder how some of the 2nd teir cast felt working with a major star like Bennett.

I have to wonder where the wolf came in to things with the dream curse. But I guess not a whole lot makes sense with it anymore. It's got me wondering if the werewolf plot is all ready in the works.

So, once I see Willie's dream I want to feel like he was so desperate to rescue Carolyn so he would be able to tell her the dream, lol. I love Karlen's dream acting, it's so fabulously uninhibited.

Barrett and Rodan seem to work well off one another.

I believe a discussion came up in the recent past about wether or not gates were ever mentioned on the OS. I am pretty sure Willie says in this episode that Adam headed off toward the gates with Carolyn.

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 06:46:11 AM »
John Karlen certainly was uninhibited, Jerry-Lewis-style uninhibited!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
I get the impression that a longish drive leads from some main gates to the front door of the Great House, but I could be wrong. There are gates of some sort a short distance from the fountain, though, so I'm not sure--maybe those just mark the boundaries of the garden. I don't think the Collinses would call it the great estate of Collinwood if it were that small.

The way NB and RR work so well together probably is the main thing that made the whole 75-episode-long-but-seemingly-eternal dream curse story bearable to watch--at least for me.

DS Wiki has some nice frame grabs from this episode. Elizabeth does look good in her lavender coat and scarf ensemble. JB looks particularly lovely in this story line as well as 1795. There are also many pics of Adam carrying Carolyn all over the estate--and a hilarious pic of JK having the dream. The wolf's head actually looks better than I remember.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
I imagine the Old House would be closer to the gates of the estate than the Great House. I am 'pretty sure' Roger mentions crashing his car a mile or two inside or outside the gates as well.

I love that Karlen went all out for his dream segment, as over the top as it is, it makes it so much more watchable than any of the others' dream sequences - with a possible tie with Powell because Powell's was so wonderfully atrocious, lol.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:19:43 PM »
You're probably right, dom. I'm sure the original estate was smaller than it is now. The Old House is smaller than the current Collinwood, too. And sometime in the very first episodes we learn that Collinwood is at the top of Widows' Hill. Later, David tells Vicki that the Old House is something like a five-minute walk down the hill from it.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Elizabeth changes her dress to something more practical than the rolled neck thing to go look for Carolyn.  Adam finds a hovel with a tiny doorway to make him look even more giant.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times