Author Topic: #1064/1065: Robservations 08/14/03: Madness & Death  (Read 1348 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1064/1065: Robservations 08/14/03: Madness & Death
« on: August 13, 2003, 10:04:50 AM »
1064 - The camera pans on a tree limb pressing against one of the Old House door knockers. As Barnabas and Julia enter, he asks, who could have been at the window?  She's sitting in a chair, looking stunned, and doesn't respond. The same man who tried to kill you? suggests Barnabas, lighting candles--yes, something strange about his appearance--he was wearing clothes from another century--a ghost from the past. I can't get it out of my mind! cries Julia, pressing her hands against her face as if trying to blot out the image. His arrogance, says Barnabas. No, it was more than arrogance, counters Julia, it was hatred, even more than hatred, it was the very essence of evil--I felt evil all around me--I was trapped by it--it made me aware of something deep inside me that I don't even understand--it's as though with that one look--you didn't feel it? She clutches her collar around her throat as if trying to protect herself. No, says Barnabas, apparently my powers protect me, or perhaps because I'm not truly human and immune to that  particular weakness. At least we now know the power that runs Collinwood, Julia says. Do we? he asks. Yes, it's a force of evil and corruption, she says. I don't doubt the evil of that ghost, says Barnabas --but is he the only force at Collinwood? I can't imagine any others surviving its presence, says Julia. (The Sam Evans-painted portrait of Barnabas above the mantle is askew.) There's the music we heard, he says. I know you said music is seldom used to frighten, she says, but I can't imagine there being another presence there.  I wish I knew, he says--you stay here and try to get some rest. Where will you go? she asks. Carolyn, he says, tell her about the ghost and find out what I can. I'll come with you, she offers.  Wouldn't you be better off staying here? he asks. Alone? she asks, with a tiny smile--I'm not that brave, Barnabas, not that brave. Barnabas blows out the candles and she follows him out.

Carolyn brushes her still-long (and still-blond) hair. (she doesn't look in her fifties)  Mrs. Johnson, sitting nearby, says, "I know what you're doing." Brushing my hair, says Carolyn--when I was a young girl, you used to brush it for me, remember? (when was that?--Mrs. J came to Collinwood when Carolyn was already an adult.)  Carolyn hands Mrs. Johnson the brush.   The older woman begins to brush her hair--"You're planning to go to Collinwood tonight, aren't you?" asks Mrs. J.  Carolyn archly eyes the other woman over her shoulder.  Perhaps, she grins. You can't--you mustn't, insists Mrs. Johnson. Why not? demands Carolyn, irritated. Because you don't belong there anymore, no one does, says Mrs. J. Carolyn begins to laugh, and says, "Dear Mrs. Johnson--if you only knew how wrong you are." Mrs. J stares at her, concerned. Carolyn opens her photo album and begins to look at the pictures. Mrs. Johnson begs--you're going to go there once too often. I can go there anytime I like! Carolyn says petulantly, like a child about to have a tantrum--my mother was a Collins, and so am I--do I need to remind you that you are only a servant? I only want to help you, says Mrs. Johnson miserably. Carolyn smiles--I must go this evening, she says--it's his birthday and he's expecting me--I should take him a present, shouldn't I--what should it be?  She rises from the chair and begins to look around the cottage. Frustrated, she asks, where are all the beautiful things I used to have?--I have nothing to take him, nothing!  Mrs. Johnson tries to soothe her--Carolyn, please.  Do you go to the house regularly? queries Carolyn. You know I can't go there! responds Mrs. Johnson, shocked. Who's getting it ready? asks Carolyn. Ready for what? demands Mrs. Johnson.  For when they come back, explains Carolyn.
For when WHO comes back? asks Mrs. J. Everyone! cries Carolyn--my mother, Quentin, Uncle Roger... Mrs. Johnson grabs her by her shoulders and reminds her, they aren't coming home. Carolyn pulls away. But they are, she says, forcing gaiety into her tone, and when they do, the house must be ready for them. Mrs. Johnson again grabs her by the elbows-- they're not ever coming back! she says. Don't say that! shrieks Carolyn.  She calms herself, sits down and glances through the album, adding, "Especially when it isn't true."  We must make plans, Carolyn insists, celebrate with perhaps a picnic at the gazebo--it will be a beautiful, warm day, and David and I will go sailing, and...  She looks at a black and white photo of Maggie and Quentin. He has his arm around her and is holding a large thermos; she is carrying a picnic basket. What are you looking at? demands Mrs. Johnson, snatching the photo from Carolyn's hand. The younger woman is blathering about going sailing. Where did you get this? demands Mrs. Johnson. Give it back! cries Carolyn. That's the first time we saw him, says Mrs. J, pointing to the photo. You don't know what you're talking about, says Carolyn. There he is, says Mrs. Johnson. That's only a shadow, says Carolyn. A shadow, yes! says Mrs. Johnson, her eyes widening--a shadow that fell over all our lives!  No! cries Carolyn, grabbing the photo from her hands and ripping it up--there was no one there, no one there--she sinks down, torn photo in her hands, and begins to sob. Mrs. Johnson pats her hair, trying to comfort her.

Carolyn ties her hair back in a braid. Mrs. Johnson asks, why won't you admit you saw him then and have seen him since?  I would love to talk with you sometime, says Carolyn, but I'm very busy right now. You won't listen, laments Mrs. Johnson, will you?  Another time perhaps, not now, says Carolyn. No, you'll never listen, says Mrs. J. There's a knock at the door. Who is it? asks Carolyn. Julia and Barnabas, says the latter--may we come in? Carolyn, angry, says no, go away!  Barnabas enters with Julia anyway--I had to see you, he says--hello, Mrs. Johnson. You don't belong here, whines Carolyn, I want you to go away! --make them go away, she begs Mrs. Johnson, who takes her into her arms as if she were a scared child and says, "Please, don't trouble her, it does no good to talk to her, I should know."  We've got to try, says Julia--someone at Collinwood just tried to kill me. There are no murderers at Collinwood, says Carolyn with dignity (!)--there are only intruders who get whatever punishment they deserve. The man was dark-haired, continues Julia, with fierce, penetrating eyes--he wore clothes from another century. No! moans Mrs. Johnson, covering her mouth with her hands. It was a ghost, says Barnabas. It was HIM! says Mrs. Johnson. Who? asks Barnabas, who? No one, says Carolyn. You must tell us who! says Barnabas. Crying, Mrs. Johnson leaves the cottage.  Julia begs her not to go, but can't stop her. Carolyn is examining some ugly paste jewelry when Barnabas comes over and gently asks, tell us who that was. If we knew what happened, says Julia, we might be able to save you, Collinwood and everyone. Carolyn begins to laugh, a deep, creepy sound. Still trying to scare me, she says--you never used to be so frivolous, Julia. I have never been more serious in my life, says Julia. Well, much as I enjoy a serious conversation, says Carolyn, I'm going to have to ask you to leave--I'm very busy right now, you do understand?  An evil spirit  has control of Collinwood, says Julia--who is he and how did it happen?  If you're nice to me, says Carolyn, I'll invite you to the picnic I'm giving. Carolyn, chides Julia.  We might as well give up, says Barnabas--Carolyn isn't going to tell us anything. All right, agrees Julia. Barnabas bids Carolyn good night--I'll see you soon, he promises.
No! says Carolyn, don't come to see me, I'm far too busy to entertain--besides, you're going to leave Collinsport, aren't you--for good? They don't respond, surveying her with pitying, solemn eyes.  She spits out, "Well, you'd better!--and don't say I didn't warn you!"  She follows them to the door, screaming after them, "And don't come back here ever again!"  She slams the door after them and locks it, then smiles and puts on an earring, giggling. She goes into a trunk and takes out a pink dress. My party dress, she chortles, he always loved it when I wore my party dress. She giggles and holds it against herself, dancing alone.

Mrs. Johnson paces the dark drawing room of the Old House. She looks out the window and sees Barnabas and Julia returning. They enter the house; he begins to light candles. Mrs. Johnson comes out and asks them, did Carolyn tell you anything?  Nothing at all, he says. You must not blame her, says Mrs. Johnson, she's blocked it all out--too painful. We know that, says Barnabas, we didn't try to torment her--we simply must know what happened, who this spirit is and how it got control of Collinwood. Why? she asks, what good would it do, you can't prevent it, why add the burden of those sorrows? We were just trying to tell Carolyn that we CAN prevent it, explains Julia. Can prevent it?--you're as mad as she is! exclaims Mrs. Johnson. Look at u very carefully, urges Barnabas--you noted that we haven't changed since you saw us 25 years ago--some terrible disturbance in time brought us here.  And when we get back in 1970, says Julia, we can stop everything that's happening here. You're both trying to drive me mad, too, aren't you? insists Mrs. Johnson, walking away from them. We know it's difficult to understand, says Barn, but try to believe us enough to tell us what you know. You have lived long enough to know there are things in this world people can never understand, Julia reminds her--we ARE telling you the truth. Mrs. Johnson surveys them doubtfully, then asks would it really be the truth?--could it be that it never happened?--you don't know the way I prayed that it was a dream and I could stop it. Perhaps we can, if you tell us what you know, says Barnabas. I don't know if I'm able, she says. Try, encourages Julia.  It all began when the days were so beautiful, you couldn't help but be happy, says Mrs. J--there was a spirit of joy at Collinwood, a feeling that hadn't been there in a long time--there was so much love among all of us at that time, until...one night... (the music begins to play)--one night, the house was so still, I could hear the waves far away against the rocks, and before I left the house, I was walking down the corridor outside of...of...the room that the children called the playroom--Mrs. Johnson suddenly gasps.
She looks at the window. The same snarling visage Barnabas and Julia saw gives her a warning look, then leaves. Mrs. Johnson runs to the front door and screams, "No, I won't tell! I won't tell!  She runs from the house, Barnabas begging, don't go!  Julia nervously clutches her collar around her throat. Barnabas, she says, he was here, we've got to find Mrs. Johnson, for her own sake.  They leave, too. The ghostly man watches them, eyes gleaming with evil intent.

Mrs. Johnson roams the woods, walking painfully, slowly. She stops to rest, gulping, when she feels a hand on her shoulder. She turns, sees the cruel face of the man who is haunting Collinwood.  Her mouth drops open with terror as he catches and holds her gaze.

Julia, following Barnabas through the woods, explains, I was sure the ghost was there, and that's what stopped her from saying anything more--we've got to find her. We already have, says Barnabas. Oh, no! wails Julia. Indeed, they have found Sarah Johnson, Collinwood's housekeeper, lying dead against a tree. When they hear someone approaching, Barnabas hustles Julia into hiding.  Wind ruffles Mrs. Johnson's hair as Carolyn stands before her, dressed in the "party dress" she'd held up earlier at the cottage. Mrs. Johnson? says Carolyn--you shouldn't be here at this time of night--shall I help you home?--come, take my hand...  Realizing what has happened, she says, "No, please! come, it's cold here, you can't stay here like this, let me help you--please, you've always been so good to me, don't hurt me now, take my hand, reach out and take my hand, Mrs. Johnson, please take me and hold me like you did when I was a little girl...help me! Help me!"  She can't help you now, Carolyn, says Barnabas, standing over her.
You did this--I should have known! she accuses--you killed her! Carolyn! chastises Barnabas.  When the sobbing young woman runs away, Julia urges Barnabas, let her go. Barnabas kneels down to look at Mrs. Johnson, and says sadly, "Whatever story she had to tell, we will never know, Julia. We'd better go to the sheriff."  They leave.  Mrs. Johnson looks at us with empty eyes.

Julia and Barnabas return to Collinwood.  What did Mrs. Johnson mean about the children's old room? she asks. Barnabas heads upstairs, Julia behind him. Hearing footsteps, they rush into the drawing room to hide. Carolyn comes in and goes upstairs. Barnabas and Julia quietly follow.

The childlike music plays.  Carolyn enters a room in a hallways that appears to be slanted (Batman style, for those who remember.)  She closes the door behind her.  Barnabas stops at the door--Julia, he says, I don't remember ever seeing this room. They hear the music begin to play again, and Carolyn giggling inside. And more than music, says Barnabas, turning the doorknob and entering the room, where Carolyn is babbling to someone.

NOTES: There's a serious time mix-up here--Carolyn makes reference to Mrs. Johnson brushing her hair and holding her as she did when she was a little girl, but Mrs. J joined the Collins household when Carolyn was already an adult, at the behest of Burke Devlin, who wanted Bill Malloy's former housekeeper to spy on the Collins family. She became a fixture after that, but she was NOT around when Carolyn was a child. Of course, Carolyn's madness may make her think she was.

So, we know a little bit more about this mystery, but there are many unanswered questions. Who is this creepy ghost who haunts Collinwood and struck enough fear in Mrs. Johnson that his mere touch and glance scared her to death? Whose birthday was Carolyn going to celebrate, and why the need for a fancy gift?

There must have been a picnic involved here, which would explain what Quentin and Maggie were holding in the photo. There was happiness and love at Collinwood--who could believe a fairy tale like that, LOL?

Now Mrs. Johnson is dead. Barnabas and Julia have followed Carolyn to a mysterious room. What's going on in there? We don't know for sure, but perhaps the next ep will bring us another clue.

Notice how nervous and scared Julia is becoming, more so every episode.  Whatever is happening is affecting her, too, giving her the same terror and paranoia that Carolyn, Mrs. Johnson, Stokes, and the clerk were suffering from. It isn't affecting Barnabas, perhaps for all the reasons he said, but Julia is growing worse, and one senses she is falling under a spell.

1065 - Barnabas and Julia enter a playroom filled with toys and stuffed animals. Get out! Carolyn orders--how dare you come here--get out!  Julia, staring at the far wall, asks Barnabas, did you  see "them?"  I did, he replies, but I'm not sure what it was. Go away! cries Carolyn. It looked like two people, says Julia, but they disappeared so quickly!  Barnabas glances around, pointing out,  it's not in the same condition as the rest of the house, nothing has happened to it. Julia wonders about the music. "GET OUT OF THIS ROOM, BOTH OF YOU!" screams Carolyn.  Try to  understand, begs Barn--we're trying to help you. You can help me by going away! she wails. She sits down in a rocking chair and holds a pillow to her chest. We saw something when we came in, says Julia--what was it? You saw nothing, insists Carolyn, because there was nothing to see. Was it the same spirit we saw staring at us through the window earlier? asks Barnabas.  Ghosts, that's all you seem to talk about, scoffs Carolyn. Because they exist, and you know they exist, says Barnabas. When we were outside the door, we heard voices, notes Julia--who was it? I was talking to myself, says Carolyn, rocking vigorously, I often talk to myself because I'm alone so much--I don't like being alone--I ask myself how long it will be before they all come back. Before WHO comes back? asks Barnabas. Everyone, answers Carolyn--do you know where they've gone?  Barnabas looks at Julia and patiently asks Carolyn, who are you talking about?  If you do know, says Carolyn, you must tell me, you mustn't keep it a secret from me.
She grows petulant, gritting her teeth, and says, it isn't fair!  Barnabas and Julia exchange sympathetic looks. Carolyn is shaking a tambourine.  Julia goes to her and says, we want to know where everyone went, too, just as much as you do--won't you help us? How did you find this room? demands Carolyn. We followed you here, says Julia. No, says Carolyn, shaking her head, someone's been giving away secrets, been telling secrets!  Listen! Barnabas begs.  You must leave! says Carolyn--go, please. She opens the door. I won't leave without you, says Barnabas. You must, insists Carolyn, if you don't, I will have the sheriff arrest you--he is my very good friend and will protect the property from TRESPASSERS!  We will go, agrees Barn, but if you change your mind, come see us at the Old House. She slams the door on them after they've gone, then listens for their retreating footsteps. I won't change my mind, says Carolyn, he wouldn't like it--would you, Tad? Tad? You can come out now, it's all right--they're gone...Tad, please come back, she sobs, you're angry --it's all their fault, it would have been a lovely party and they've spoiled it--I HATE THEM!  She sits back down on the rocker, hugs the pillow to herself and begins to angrily rock, looking like a pissed-off child.

Eliot Stokes gazes at himself in the mirror in his living room, and takes a puff of a cigarette. He's wearing a hearing aid with a wire reaching to the pocket area, which we did NOT see in 1995--they were wireless by then. He reads a letter--there has been a change in Quentin Collins' condition--"I am sorry to report that it is not a change for the better."  He answers a knock at his door--Julia and Barnabas--and he does not welcome them. We must speak with you, she says. I have nothing to tell you, you know that, he says. It's been a long time, Eliot, says Barn, I might have expected a friendlier greeting. Barnabas! says Eliot--in heavens name, Julia, why didn't you take my advice and leave?  We're not leaving until certain things are explained to us, says Barnabas--we were at Collinwood, earlier.  I must warn you, says Eliot, you must stop going there--your lives are in danger. We already know that, says Julia. Something happened to you there? asks Eliot. Yes, says Barnabas, we saw the face of a man in the living room window. An incredibly evil looking man, adds Julia. And before that, says Barn, something fell from the foyer and almost killed Julia--Eliot, who was that man?  "Many people have seen things in or near Collinwood," explains Stokes.  Julia glances at the letter he was reading, which he placed on the desk, "But that doesn't necessarily prove they exist," finishes Eliot.  We didn't imagine that man, insists Barnabas. Julia picks up the letter and reads it. Eliot, how often have you been at Collinwood? asks Barnabas--what have YOU seen there. Nothing, says Eliot, absolutely nothing--Julia, what are you doing?  He takes the letter from her hands. Julia apologizes--I couldn't help seeing it--the name Quentin Collins is in that letter, she says. Quentin? says Barnabas--then you know where he is. No, says Stokes. Yes, you do know, Barnabas says, let me see the letter. Stokes hands it over. Barnabas and Julia read it--he's in a mental institution, notes Barnabas. The astounding thing is, says Stokes, he looks exactly the same as he did when he was committed in 1970--he hasn't aged--it's as if he were frozen in time. Barnabas hands the letter back to Stokes--we must go see him, he says. You won't find him there, says Stokes, I received word yesterday afternoon that he's escaped--and even if you could see him, he wouldn't be able to help you.  That seems to be the case with everyone, says Barn--why?--why is everyone afraid to speak?--how could you possibly stand by, do nothing, say nothing--you've got to tell us what you know, Eliot. Stokes walks away from them, then turns back and says, as God is my witness, I know very little more about this. He sits down in a sofa. How is that possible --weren't you here when it happened? asks Julia, sitting beside him. No, he explains, I wasn't, and I always regretted it--in the fall of 1970, I went to Europe, when I returned, I found Collinwood just as you two have--I asked questions everywhere with as little success as you've had. I don't understand this, says Barn. If you feel frustrated after just a few days, you can imagine how I feel after 25, says Eliot.
I don't understand why you didn't tell me this after we ran into each other the other day, says Julia. I was terrified for your safety, he answers--shortly after I returned home, I heard rumors of strange happenings at Collinwood--I thought if I could undo what had been done, I might at least restore poor Carolyn's mind--I tried an exorcism and very nearly paid for it with my life. How? asks Barnabas. I saw the ghost, says Stokes, but that wasn't what terrified me so--it was the overwhelming sense of evil that surrounded me--it seemed to be smothering me to death--I turned and ran (Julia is listening carefully, in agreement with his feelings) I never saw the ghost again after that. And you never found out what happened to the rest of the family? asks Barnabas. No one has, says Stokes, they vanished--for all we know, they may all been buried somewhere in the house--the night it happened, Quentin Collins was found wandering in the woods, totally incoherent; Carolyn was found cowering in the tower room--they had both gone mad--I've always suspected that Carolyn was the only person who knows what really happened, but the secret is buried, perhaps forever, in the darkest corner of her mind. Barnabas and Julia look at each other.  Eliot, there are certain things we must find out, says Barnabas--and you're going to help us. I don't know how, says Eliot, but I am willing to try. We'll be in touch soon, promises Barnabas. They exchange smiles of goodbye and leave. Eliot picks up the letter. After they have gone, Carolyn enters and accuses him of telling them about the room. No, I didn't, my dear, he says. I don't believe you, she says.  You must, says Eliot--and do something else for me as well--sit down and let me talk to you.

Barnabas and Julia return to the playroom. What will we do if Carolyn is still here? asks Julia.  I doubt she will stay here this long, opines Barn. They enter the room.  What do you think you'll find? she asks. I have no idea, he admits, but this room is obviously important--why is it not in the same condition as the rest of the place?--any clue could be helpful. They look around. Julia finds a homemade birthday card and shows it to Barnabas. It's brand-new, she observes. Happy birthday to my dearest Tad, reads Barnabas, from your loving Carrie. Who in the world could Tad and Carrie be? wonders Barnabas.

Old House - Which way now? asks Barnabas. I don't know, she says, but I question whether or not Stokes was telling us the truth. About how much he knows?--yes, agrees Barnabas, he was frightened and confused, but he wasn't lying to us--if we could only find Quentin. If Quentin's been in a mental institution, he can't help us, says Julia (she has so little faith in her own profession)? I would still like to question him, says Barnabas--poor Stokes--he's so baffled by the fact that Quentin is as young as he was in those years--obviously, Quentin's portrait is still intact, if anything had happened to it, he would have grown old by now. They hear banging upstairs. We do have a visitor, says Barnabas, and he heads upstairs.

Carolyn sadly tells Stokes, there won't be another birthday party for a whole year--will it be that long before I see Tad again?  Stokes comfortingly pats her shoulder--I don't know, he says, but it really isn't very important, is it? Yes it is, she insists, very important!  Please, he begs, search your mind again, try to remember what happened that night in 1970. It isn't good to dwell on the past, she says, examining his things, picking them up, putting them down. We've been good friends for a long time, he reminds her, always confided in each other? That may no longer be possible, she says. What do you mean? he asks. You have new friends now, haven't you? she asks, beginning to hungrily eat from a dish of grapes. They're your friends, too, he says--Julia and Barnabas are trying to help. They spoiled my party, she says angrily--they should never have come into the room--why did you tell them about it?  She stuffs more grapes in her mouth. Stokes, defeated, walks away.

Barnabas and Julia enter a room containing a painting. Barnabas draws away the covering to reveal the very desiccated, hideous visage of Quentin Collins. Quentin himself, bearing a knife, leaps to attack his portrait. "QUENTIN! cries Barnabas.  Julia and Barnabas struggle to force him to drop the knife. "Let me kill him!" demands Quentin. Finally, Barnabas succeeds in forcing him to let go of the deadly weapon.
He deserves to die! yells Quentin. You're talking about yourself! says Barnabas. You had no right to stop me! says Quentin--who are you, anyway? Look at us, says Barnabas, don't you recognize us? No, says Quentin, you can't be who you look like--they went away a long time ago. Julia nods. But we are, he says--I'm Barnabas and this is Julia.  No, says Quentin, beginning to laugh insanely, it's one of his tricks--yes, the attendants is always playing tricks on me. Let's get him downstairs, says Julia. She links her arm in Quentin's; she and Barnabas escort him downstairs.

Stokes' house - He hands the giggling Carolyn a bunch of grapes and reminds her, you often said everyone would come back to Collinwood one day--do you really believe that? Yes, she says, shoveling grapes rapidly into her mouth, they will all come back. Does that mean you know where   they went? he asks. Yes, she says. Can you tell me? he asks. She looks up at him--they never said goodbye, she says--I always thought that very strange. Did it ever occur to you, he says, that their coming back depends upon you--you never were able to remember what happened on that night in 1970--perhaps if you could remember, it would be possible for things to change--Collinwood could be as it was. Do you really think so? she asks. Yes I do, he says, please, try to remember something--anything.
She thinks, closing her eyes--it's so strange, she says--there are times when I think I remember, times when I dream and seem to relive it all, times when certain things jar my mind--I saw a stillness in the night, a child's toy--she smiles--but I can never put all the fragments together--I just can't do it, she sobs. He puts his hands on her shoulders--I'll take you home, he says soothingly.

Old House - Quentin clutches one hand in the other, sounding like a lost little boy as he tells Julia and Barnabas, I still don't understand how you got here--why do you look the same?  But you do accept we are here, and who we are, says Barnabas. Oh yes, says Quentin, I accept anything and everything--except...my own innocence--I will never accept that.  What do you mean? asks Barnabas. I came here to do something, says Quentin, yes, and I failed--I failed again, I've got to go now. You must stay here now and help us, insists Barnabas, touching his cousin's elbow. Help you? asks Quentin. Something happened here at Collinwood 25 years ago, says Barnabas, do you remember what it is? I don't want to talk about that, says Quentin rapidly, I think about that too much, I don't want to talk about that!  Do you remember what happened? asks Barnabas. NO! says Quentin. Are you sure? asks Barnabas--anything, any clue would help us. Quentin grasps the railing--I should have prevented it, he says, but I didn't and I deserve to die. Quentin, says Barnabas, what were you doing in the woods that night? Quentin looks at him. I don't know, he says. Then you never actually saw what happened? asks Barnabas. I should have prevented it, repeats Quentin. But you couldn't have if you weren't even there, says Barn--what do you know about the playroom that exists at Collinwood? Nothing, says Quentin. How did it get there? demands Barnabas. I don't know what you're talking about, says Quentin. You know very well that there was no such thing there in 1970! says Barnabas. Quentin looks at him--oh yes, he says, there always was, always!  Would you be willing to take us there now? asks Barnabas. Noooo! says Quentin. Why, are you frightened of it? asks Barn. Why should I be frightened? asks Quentin. Then let us take you there, says Barn. No, no, it won't do any good, says Quentin.  Why? asks Barnabas. Julia steps in--it might not be wise to take him there, she advises. I'm telling you, it won't be any help! says Quentin defensively--listen, now, all right, if going there will help prove it to you, then I'll go. He opens the door and the other two follow him out.

7:55 - The threesome walks down the hallway to the playroom. Julia notes, we are hearing the same music we heard the other night. Yes, agrees Barnabas, before we saw that figure in the window. Quentin backs away from the door--I don't want to go in there, he insists. Are you frightened? asks Barn. No, says Quentin. Then we must go in there, says Barn--Quentin, we MUST go it!  The music stops as Quentin opens the door. He looks in. NO! he screams, and runs off--NO!  Barnabas looks in and sees a young boy dressed in a suit and tie. David! he cries. The child gazes back at him.

NOTES: Quentin returns, but unfortunately, not anymore in his right mind that Carolyn is. He was all set to kill himself by destroying his portrait, out of some sense of guilt. What did he do, nor not do, that unhinged his mind this way?

Barnabas, Julia and Stokes, the titanic threesome, try to whittle away at the minds of Quentin and Carolyn, without much success. There was something so eerie about the scene in which Eliot is trying to pry open Carolyn's mind while she shoves grapes into her mouth. She tells him it's not good to dwell in the past, but apparently, she is incapable of doing so. Her mind won't allow it. She is mostly concerned about Tad, whoever he is, and his birthday party. Who is he to Carolyn?

Now David has appeared to them, or at least his ghost. Will he give them some insight into what happened 25 years ago?

Excellent performances again by Barrett, Selby and Thayer David. Frid and Hall are in every episode and must have been absolutely exhausted by the time 1995 was over. Their frustration is palpable. Note how susceptible Julia seems to be to the evil influences around them.

Love, Robin