Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0489  (Read 1223 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0489
« on: June 28, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »
Robservations #489

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0489

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
Another artsy mirror shot opens the show. Tony Peterson accuses Cassandra of being involved in Lang’s death. They are interrupted by David’s homecoming. She entrances him (though it is crudely edited out) to shut him up and sends him to the gazebo to wait for her. David asks Mrs. J. why she picked him up instead of his father and she replies, “Ask me no Questions, Davy, and I’ll tell you no lies.” (Mrs. J. is the best! Lol)  Roger greets David then dispatches Mrs. J to fetch Cassandra. Roger tells David about Cassandra. Zombie Tony bumps into Mrs. J. on her way in to tell Cass she is wanted in the drawing room. Cass flitters about readying herself to meet her new stepson as Mrs. J. tidies up. Cass engages Mrs. J. in hopes of discovering if she’s had the dream yet. Mrs. J. disappoints her by stating she’s never felt better and is the healthiest person at Collinwood. David offers his new stepmother an icy reception and recoils when she goes to hug him. Roger is concerned but Cass shrugs it off and asks he give the boy time. Cass, leaving ‘the men’ to talk under the guise of a walk, saunters off to see Tony. Roger asks that David meet Cass halfway then sends him out to play. Cass continues her talk with a now clearheaded Tony. She re-entrances him and beseeches him to find out how & why Julia is denying the Dream Curse its proper course and wipes clean his memory of her involvement with Lang’s death. Their conversation ends with Cass telling Tony that he is falling in Love with her and seals it with a long hot kiss – witnessed by David. Now that she’s met David and everything is ducky (is it?) Roger tells Cass to ready for their 30-day honeymoon sending her into desperate mode, as she has no intentions on going anywhere anytime soon (as I see it). Mrs. Johnson enters looking for David and once again Cass questions her, trying to learn what she can about the Dream Curse’s progression or lack thereof, even asking outright if Mrs. Johnson believes in dreams to which Mrs. J. replies that she is a practical woman who hasn’t the time to dream, and leaves on that note. Next, David confronts Cass about the gazebo kiss and threatens to tell his father. Cass mutes him and cripples his ability to write then feigns a desperate emergency shout for Roger, who, concerned with David’s wellbeing once again cancels his month long honeymoon. Parker walks out of frame and ruins the whole damn scene. Roger walks his ailing son to his room. Cut. Print.

Big sloppy edit before the title break. There’s a lot of this going on lately. It’s obvious the ep ran long because there were no closing credits, only the DCP logo. So I won’t ask if this (the big sloppy edit before the title) too is on the DVD. (I am highly suspect of MPI, at least where the VHS videos are concerned.)

Afterthoughts: Clarice did not disappoint - Mrs. Johnson was a hoot in this episode. No wonder the actress & character is beloved by so many. Edmonds and Henesy were in good form also. No one can accuse Ohrbach’s of not keeping up with the times as David comes home from Boston wearing the latest male fashion – the Nehru jacket and he looks sharp in it. I wonder if he ever dons a Lost In Space filled in v-neck pull over? Roger is in his trademark turtleneck and this is one of those ‘fun’ instances that mirrors Depp Shadows. Cassandra’s outfit is tight as well and the wig is still holding up. I liked the way the ‘new’ Roger handled things with David.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:41:33 PM »
This whole story line is a warning against smoking. Aside from the more usual consequences such as heart disease, emphysema, and lung cancer, someone might use your lighter to bewitch you.

Fashion notes: David has returned from Boston and is wearing a Nehru jacket. Roger is wearing a safari jacket.

Mrs. Johnson is the only person who still calls David "Davey." Cassangelique is just dying to find out if Julia has told her the dream yet and asks if she slept well last night. Mrs. J. is surprised but answers, I’m probably the healthiest person in the house. I always sleep well because I’m always worn out. Do you believe in dreams? Cassandra asks. I never have any, Mrs. Johnson replies. (And now Cassandra knows that Julia hasn’t yet told her dream to Mrs. Johnson.)

Cassangelique has to work a little extra hard by striking poor David mute, but she manages to postpone the honeymoon yet again.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:55:08 PM »
Welcome back, David.  Like the Nehru hacket.   Lara visibly teleprompts....  Old Roger makes brief reappearance when he announces that discussion of Cassandra is unnecessary, and sends David on his way.   David eyeballs Cassandra's unfaithfulness in record time, avoiding all those frustrating days of suspicion.

Tony very briefly has the gravity of real Bogie as he thinks aloud about his being at Lang's, sternly, but soon goes back to being Bogie Junior.

It's fun just watching Mrs. Johnson walk.   David actually calls that structure outside a "gazebo", explaining why fans call it that.   There's nothing round about it, though.   It's not a building.  It's a set of decorative stone terraces and steps and things.

David now knows Cass has powers.  I don't remember if they manage to write their way out of that.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 12:18:36 AM »
Maybe it's a really, really big gazebo.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 04:00:07 AM »
Maybe it's a really, really big gazebo.

Chuckle....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 03:23:27 AM »
I wonder if someone read a decorating book that said a mirror opens up a room and they decided to try it on the show.  It has been used in the past but not to the degree it has been recently.
The returning David is rather silent and shirks from Cassandra. Cassandra tells Tony he is falling in love with her and then they kiss which David sees and he is muted by his new stepmother.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »
Big sloppy edit before the title break. There’s a lot of this going on lately. It’s obvious the ep ran long because there were no closing credits, only the DCP logo. So I won’t ask if this (the big sloppy edit before the title) too is on the DVD. (I am highly suspect of MPI, at least where the VHS videos are concerned.)

But I checked anyway.  [ghost_wink]  And the edit is on the DVD. But more importantly it's also part of the '80s syndicated version of the ep, so that must be the way the show was originally broadcast.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 12:25:33 AM »
All my indignation, wasted!