Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0488  (Read 724 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0488
« on: June 27, 2013, 03:37:03 PM »
Robservations #488

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0488

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
KLS isn’t much better than Parker with the OVO’s.
Julia (who almost has Barnabangs) injects Adam with the last of Lang’s MSG formula. Barn makes her admit they have about 24 hours left in which to start the experiment with any hopes of success. (The intro fades with an image of Barn in a small round mirror – nice symbolism. The opening title seems slightly different. And the distortion at the top of my screen is gone.) Barn nags Jules to the point of a hissy fit. Barn suddenly realizes that he is not the only person in the room and asks Jules what’s wrong. Julia tells him about the dream and it’s implications (via a surgeon’s magnifying glass. Someone on the tech crew has a glass fetish. All this artiness is a bit distracting – but fun/interesting.) Of Course Barn figures out Cass/Ange is behind the Dream Curse, remembering his Angelique dream to Julia. Julia seems a lot less distracted in the next scene with Barn discussing the experiment and guessing what Lang was trying to tell them before his death to do to make it a success. (Hall is showing a lot of leg & thigh in this scene – shocking!) Julia finally remembers that Lang kept repeating the word ‘listen’ and puts two and two together and thinks perhaps Lang wanted her to listen to the tape. They play it but hear only music – (we hear so much more once they’ve left the room). Before leaving the lab Barn & Julia have a moment– Barn relates that he will be happy to get a young and handsome face and Julia tells him that for some women it wouldn’t be an issue. He, sensing her vulnerability, and with sincere sensitivity tells Julia he appreciates all she’s done for him past & present. (Once again we get to see Julia face her feelings for Barn – and Barn deny them.) Stokes visits Maggie to hear her version of the Dream Curse and finally starts to fully comprehend and interpret it’s workings. (I enjoyed this scene immensely. Both actors were splendid, the writing good, and the camera work & lighting – wonderful. I believe Stokes has blown my Dream Curse theories out of the water – and just in the knick of time because after Julia’s dream I’d had enough. Stokes involvement is making it interesting again. Where I was trying to tie-in what was behind the door to the dreamer, it appears what is behind the door is a visual of the incantation the dreamer hears. Stokes correlates the ‘of sight’ with the ‘eye popping’ skull. My dose of KLS worship: Nobody looks good under lit – it is commonly used as a sinister effect and yet KLS looks gorgeous under lit.) After leaving the Evans cottage Stokes faces Barnabas at Lang’s. Stokes tells Barn he thinks he can break the Dream Curse if he knows the identity of the witch who set it in motion. Barn tells him that Cass is the witch and Stokes hie-tails it out of there (presumably to Collinwood to confront Cass – at least that is what I’m thinking.) Barn returns to Julia in the lab and tells her about his meeting with Stokes and they think that Barn may have made a big mistake telling Stokes about Cass, being she was once a student of his. Barn also brings up how 'Timothy' resembles Ben Stokes who was once a slave to Ange’s witchcraft as another cause for concern. (Nice reasoning here. I can dig that they are putting time and effort into something that makes total sense even though it is totally wrong – makes everything seem logical – especially in the face of the absurd experiment, lol. I’m guessing that Julia did not tell Stokes the dream.)

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »
The body seems less patchwork quilted today and not that I totally buy it, but  Lang has been preserving the body is through injections.
Barnabas says he will have a young face and Julia says that to some women that does not matter. It seems rather presumptuous to think that Vickie will choose Adam over Jeff, but then, Adam just lying there dead has more charm than Jeff. I think the premise of Barnabas being reborn as Adam could be an interesting storyline.  Barnabas finally admits to Stokes that Cassandra is the witch.  It's quite interesting to see what Stokes motives may be and is he friend or foe?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
Barnabas finds Julia studying Lang's papers and tells her (again) to hurry up. When Barnabas gets even more insistent, Julia snaps, Leave me alone, please, _please_! This is uncharacteristic enough to alarm him, and eventually Julia tells him about the dream. She's fighting her compulsion to tell Mrs. Johnson about it because she fears that Barnabas will be the next victim. Then you must avoid her, says the ruthless Barnabas, with no sympathy for Julia’s suffering.

They puzzle over Lang's last words until Julia finally realizes he meant the tape recorder. They play it, but listen only long enough to hear the Mozart. Barnabas pulls the drape aside to take another look at Adam. I’m glad Lang chose this face, he says. It's a handsome one. Because of Vicki, comments Julia with some disdain. He replies, I’m well aware that I’m older than Jeff Clark (by only about two hundred years). Julia says, For some women, that wouldn’t make any difference. Hastily she turns away in embarrassment at having betrayed herself. Barnabas turns toward her. He just misses seeing her face--but then again he hardly has to. His ruthlessness has vanished (for the moment) as he tells her gently, Julia, I’ve never taken the trouble to say this to you before, but I appreciate everything you’ve done for me. Whether we succeed or fail, I appreciate it. I want you to know that, he finishes as he places his hand on her shoulder. Still flustered, Julia moves away from him and answers brusquely, We’re wasting time. Are you coming downstairs? She moves toward the door, and he follows after a last look at Adam. They’ve left the recorder on, and when the tape reaches Lang's last, urgent message (near the end of the repeat), the only person who hears it is the still-lifeless Adam.

Maggie is at home making a frame for her pop when Professor Stokes comes to visit. The scene is nicely lit with lots of shadows. He introduces himself and tells Maggie that he teaches at the university. (Eventually she will resume waitressing, but we will never see the coffee shop again. I guess the thought of Maggie going to college never crossed anyone's mind.) For her, telling Stokes the dream is almost as bad as having it was, but the professor has much more grace than Barnabas and apologizes handsomely for distressing her.

After Barnabas notes the professor's remarkable resemblance to Ben Stokes, Julia reminds Barnabas that Roger first met Cassandra at Professor Stokes's house, but the script editor messed up there, because Roger met her at Portsmouth and didn't know Professor Stokes (I think).

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »
They still bother to call attention to resemblances between 1795 and 1968 characters on DS, rather than doing what they ought to do, diverting viewers' attention from them for believability.   Elliot/Timothy looks like Ben, Ben was slave to Ang, therefore Elliot/Tim might be slave to Cass too?  Maybe they should start being really suspicious of Joe Haskell, he might be after the Collins fortune....!

How Julia knows time's completely up for human Barnabas, I don't know, especially since she doesn't grasp Lang's work.   She just injected him.  He didn't need and get them every few hours, did he?

Barnabas never saw Julia lose control before?  What?!  Well, a lot of his terrifying of her was done remotely and he didn't see, unless he was flying and squeaking just outside her window.

As Julia's semi-face is in extreme close-up, in the mirror presumably, fictionally... I can only think of how it must have looked from other vantage points, as Grayson Hall spoke with her face an inch away from the camera...

Stokes comes and goes abruptly.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor