Author Topic: #1048/1049: Robservations 08/04/03: Julia Messes Up; Another Murder?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1048 - Julia arrives at Loomis House. I had a terrible time getting here, she explains to Barnabas--Angelique asked me so many questions. Barnabas apologizes--I had to see you, he says. Did anything happen to Roxanne? she asks. I put her back in the secret room, he says--but we must find Claude North, who might be the key to destroying Angelique. Julia recalls--Claude North was the name on the sketch you found. Yes, says Barnabas, and tonight I found Roxanne in the cemetery, lying across the grave of a man named Claude North. If he's dead... says Julia. Yes, the man in the graveyard died in 1866, reveals Barnabas, but the sketch I found was contemporary, perhaps a year or two old--I don't get the connection, but North is very important in Roxanne's life. A knock at the door makes Julia nervously ask, are you expecting anybody? No, he replies. I'm afraid Angelique might have followed me here, says Julia. He sends her to hide in the other room, behind the folding doors, and answers the door. It's Inspector Hamilton, who just sort of barges in. What can I do for you? asks Barnabas. I'm here to ask certain questions concerning Will Loomis' death, says the Inspector.

I don't know what more I can tell you, says Barnabas. I'm not here to see you, but Carolyn, says Hamilton. She's resting, says Barnabas, she's been under a great strain. Understandable, says Hamilton, but this is urgent--please wake her. Carolyn, brandy snifter in hand, wobbles downstairs--that isn't necessary, she says--I haven't been sleeping too well these days. She and Barnabas exchange warning glances. Too much to think about, she says, slurring her words--memories, most of them bad--isn't that right, Cousin Barnabas? You should be resting, insists Barn. No, says Carolyn, the Inspector wants to ask me some questions. I'll try to be brief, promises the Inspector, I know what a trying time this is for you. It's all right, she assures him, I'll be happy to answer your questions, as soon as I pour a little drink. Barnabas notices her heading for Julia's hiding place--where are you going? he asks. To get the brandy, she responds.  It's right here--on the desk, where you left it earlier, says Barnabas--but do you really think you should? Barnabas, she says with bitter anger, you are my devoted cousin, not my keeper. I'm not, agrees Barnabas. We've already gotten something settled, says Carolyn, and you haven't even asked a question yet. Hamilton asks Carolyn, are you certain your husband took his own life? She hesitates downing her drink. Do you have any reason to suspect otherwise? asks Barnabas. Hamilton asks, "Do YOU, Mr. Collins?--let Mrs. Loomis answer the question. Carolyn, giving a Barnabas a long, significant look, says, Will jumped from the tower room--"That's all I know." Could he have been pushed? asks Hamilton. Anything is possible, she says. What do you mean by that? he asks. You want to tell him or shall I? she asks Barnabas. Tell me what? asks the cop. Barnabas' forehead furrows. We are a very strange family and Collinwood not exactly a peaceful house by the sea, says Carolyn--there's a skeleton in every closet, and there are lots of closets, baby--a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live here. She clutches the brandy bottle in one hand and her glass in the other. Could there have been any connection between the deaths of her husband and Bruno Hess? asks Hamilton. Carolyn looks at him, startled, then sort of smiles--there could have been, she says, I don't know. What are you trying to say? asks Barn--that Will didn't take his own life? I have no evidence, says Hamilton, if that's what you mean, merely very curious--I'm paid to be--by the way, were you at Collinwood when the first Mrs. Collins died? No, says Barnabas, I arrived here since then. I'm planning to question everyone who was in the house the night of that seance, says Hamilton--I have a list of all the people, one of whom I'm looking forward to seeing--Julia Hoffman, an old friend of mine--I knew her when she worked for the Richardsons. In her hiding place, Julia overhears this and blanches. I don't believe I've seen her since she came to Collinwood, continues Hamilton--it's always nice to renew an old acquaintance, isn't it? Yes, of course, agrees Barnabas, his mind undoubtedly racing a million miles a minute. I have one last question, says Hamilton--what was your husband's relationship to the first Mrs. Collins? YOU WERE RIGHT, she says, screaming drunken fumes in his face, THAT WAS YOUR LAST QUESTION! Thank you for your time, says Hamilton--I'm going to Collinwood. He exits. Carolyn flops on the sofa. Julia emerges from her hiding place, expressing fear over Hamilton's planned questioning--what will I do? I don't know, admits Barnabas, you've been lucky so far to avoid something like this. Yes, but it's happened now, says Julia--bad enough Hamilton will want to discuss the seance, but what if he wants to talk about "old times?" Carolyn grins. Maybe you'd better stay here tonight, he suggests. I can't, protests Julia, Angelique expects me back at the house. Carolyn throws her head back and bursts out laughing. They look at her reproachfully. This is getting kind of sticky, isn't it? she asks wickedly--all the pretending and the lies?
She drinks. I have no choice, says Julia--I must go back and try to bluff my way through it. Be careful, urges Barnabas. Carolyn giggles on the sofa and pours more booze (how is she still conscious)? Barnabas walks toward her.  Seeing his expression, says, "I feel another lecture coming on." I only have this to say to you, he says, if you keep drinking like this, you'll say the wrong thing to the wrong person and end up in serious trouble! She looks up at him archly, like she doesn't give a damn about him or his opinions.

At Collinwood, Julia tells Hamilton, I wasn't at the seance, but was in the house. Where were you when you heard Mrs. Collins scream? I don't remember, says Julia. Using her first name with familiarity, he says that isn't like you--you always have an excellent memory, and I'm sure you would remember something like that. I was startled, she says, and frightened--I was in the servants' quarters and came running in here. Describe what you saw he says. Mrs. Collins was lying on the floor, explains Julia, Dr. Longworth was with her, examining her, and he announced to everyone she was dead. You didn't arrive in the room in time to see Mr. Collins with his hands around his wife's neck? asks Hamilton. No, says Julia, I didn't. I see, he says, I have no further questions--it's good to see you again. Good to see you, too, she answers evasively. Do you ever see the Richardsons? he asks. No, she says, walking away from him, I haven't talked to them in some time. They were always so fond of you, he reminds her--I don't know why you ever left them--of course, my wife and I shared their view--you were always so considerate of Jane. Julia turns back to him and asks, "Jane?" My wife, he reminds her. Yes, of course, says a smiling Julia--how is she? He gazes at her, puzzled
--I beg your pardon, he says--you know very well my wife has been dead for three years. (Oh no!)

What in heaven's name made you ask how Jane was? the inspector queries--"Julia, you were at her funeral! Julia looks uncomfortable--I've been under a strain, she says hastily--you were talking of the Richardsons and my mind slipped into the past, I said it without thinking. You haven't been mistreated here, have you? he asks. No, she says, why? I don't know, but you've changed so much--I noticed it the minute I saw you--I didn't get that familiar greeting you always gave me (wonder what that was?)--let me hear you say it now. She thinks hard, but comes up blank.  I guess you HAVE been under a strai, he saysn--thank you for your time, Julia, that will be all. She leaves, gladly. He gazes oddly after her, perplexed.

In her room, Roger, in high dudgeon, complains to Angelique about Hamilton coming here, without warning, to pester them with silly questions. She combs her hair--it's an old police tactic, she says. He's asked every one of the servants, rants Roger, then spoke with me and Elizabeth, and now he's finishing with Julia. Don't let it upset you so, she says. There's no need for it! he cries. He hasn't questioned me, she says--I wonder why? Why should he?--you weren't here the night of the seance, Roger reminds her. Yes, of course, she says, I wasn't. It's a total waste of time, bitches Roger, he's not going to learn anymore than he already knows, so why persist?
Perhaps, suggests Ang, he knows more than we think he knows. Roger looks at her--what do you mean? he asks. Has it occurred to you, Roger, perhaps the Inspector is here because there's some interesting new development in the case? Roger doesn't look one whit thrilled at this possibility.

Loomis House - Barnabas sits, gazing into the fire in the drawing room. Julia enters and despondently says, my interview with Hamilton was a total disaster--I'm afraid he's gotten to know me. How could he? asks Barnabas, how could he possibly think you're Julia Hoffman from another time? We can't do that, she says, but he knows I'm not the Julia he once knew--I made too many mistakes and doesn't know what to do. He turns her around to face him and assures her, you're in no danger unless he starts questioning someone else. What if that someone is Angelique? Julia asks--if she finds out, I'm as good as dead.

1:20 - Angelique picks up the clock in her room, lifts it to her ear, listens to it. Hamilton knocks and enters--I'll stand, he says, since I hope this won't take long. I was beginning to think you'd pass me by, she says--you had questioned everyone in the house except me. I had no intention of passing you by, he assures her--you're the most important reason I'm here. (She has black candles lit in her room.) Why? she asks. I want the absolute truth from you, is that clear? he asks. Of course, she promises. Because you see, Miss Stokes, he says, you're in trouble, and you might as well know it. What kind of trouble? she asks. It's possible we may have to hold you as an accessory to murder, he says. She looks stunned.

Accessory to murder? she repeats--what are you talking about. If you're going to pretend you don't know, he says sternly, this is going to be very difficult! Listen, she says, you made the accusation, and it's up to you to explain what you mean. I obtained a court order almost a week ago to exhume the body of your late sister, Angelique, he says, but we got quite a surprise when we opened her crypt--there was no body there, not even a coffin, but of course, that's no surprise to you, is it, Miss Stokes? Go on, Inspector, she says coolly. You can imagine I was a trifle curious at this strange turn of events, he says--it even occurred to me someone was trying to keep something from me, frankly, I didn't know what to do, which way to turn--I was completely stymied--until it occurred to me to have another look at Dr. Longworth's journal (she looks worried)--that man did know a lot of secrets. You found something in that journal? she asks innocently. I did indeed, he says, the entry was rather cryptic, but it did state the body had been destroyed--how, where or why, it doesn't say, but it isn't very difficult to figure out the why of it--the journal entry also contained two names--Quentin Collins--and yours!--I can only conclude that together, the three of you destroyed the body of Angelique Collins. That's not true! she insists. Then tell me what is true, he orders, but do it quickly, please, because I'm running out of patience. The body was destroyed, that is true, she says, Cyrus and Quentin did it--they took the casket from the crypt and burned it--almost two months ago--I was against it at first. Then what on earth made you agree? he asks. Look, she says, there is something you don't know--we opened the casket and looked at Angelique's body--she had been dead six months--and yet her body was perfectly preserved! You expect me to believe that? he asks. I swear it's true, she says, it frightened all of us--Angelique had been involved in the occult, swore she would return from the grave. Spare me the rest of that story, he insists--the fact is, Quentin Collins destroyed the body of his first wife out of fear--fear someday an autopsy would be performed and he'd be revealed as her murderer! That isn't true, insists Ang--Quentin could never have killed her, I know that, otherwise I never would have let him destroy the body, I would have come to you! Where is Quentin now? he asks. I don't know, she replies, I really don't, I swear! Where did he and Dr. Longworth bury the remains? asks Hamilton. Somewhere in the woods, she says. I'm sorry I've had to be so harsh, he says, I believe your faith in Quentin's innocence is sincere, but I must ask you not to leave Collinsport--I may have to question you further. I understand, says Ang. Before I go, says Hamilton, I'm curious to know something about your housekeeper, Julia Hoffman--she hasn't been ill, has she? No! exclaims Ang. Her behavior is very strange, he says. What's strange about it? she asks. While I was questioning her, he says, she asked me how my wife was--she attended Jane's funeral three years ago--she was very embarrassed at having asked the question, said her mind had drifted back to the past
--I don't know, she just didn't seem like the Julia Hoffman I know--well, good night, Miss Stokes. Angelique looks very fascinated by this bit of news, and she sits on her bed, considering it carefully.

9:00 AM - Carolyn exits the kitchen, still carrying her brandy snifter and a tissue. She goes into the drawing room, where Roger sits reading the paper. Well, well, well, well, well, she croons, pouring yet another drink, don't we look very much the lord of the manor now that the master's gone away? Roger, annoyed, stands up from the sofa and asks, do you know what time it is? I can never understand why people are shocked when they see someone drinking in the morning, she says--is it any worse for you than it is at night? He gives her a silent, dirty look. She giggles--cat got your tongue? she asks. Your behavior is shocking. He declares stuffily. Shocking?--yes, yes, she agrees flippantly, and it really takes something terrible to shock the people in this house--people can kill each other, jump out of windows, can curse and hate each other, nobody seems to mind--but to be a morning drinker, THAT shocks people! she says bitterly. I happen to care about you, he says, I don't like to see you like this. Then don't look! she advises--it happens, I find, that drinking is my soul means of support. What is that supposed to mean? he asks. It's the only way I can live with the terrible secrets. she says. What secrets? he demands. She drinks, begins to giggle again, and asks, "Wouldn't you like to know?--wouldn't you just like to know some of the things I know?" He glares at her. Her voice harsh, angry, she turns and says, "I'd bet you'd give your last cent to hear some of the things I could tell you!" You're obviously too drunk to know what you're talking about, he says, disgusted, I'll leave you to your misery! She stops him--if you stay, she teases, I'll tell you the biggest secret of all. I'm in no mood for your games, he says. It's no game, Uncle, she assures him, this secret concerns someone you love very much. Who? he asks. What would you say, she asks, if I told you that I could prove that Alexis is really Angelique? Outside the double doors, someone eavesdrops on their conversation, overhearing Carolyn's offer to Roger. It looks like Julia's shadow, but is it?

NOTES: Oh, boy, Carolyn is all set to really turn things upside down, and Roger already doesn't seem as if he's wrapped too tightly? Didn't Barrett turn in a breathtaking performance today? That last scene with Roger gave me chills, and when she's talking about the difference between death, suicide and drinking in the morning, we who watched DS all these years understood exactly what she was talking about, and why she's so bitter. 1897 Quentin was an anytime drinker, too.

Julia is probably in deep trouble now. Angelique has been told something by Hamilton that she's probably suspected all along--that there's something amiss about this Julia. Ang already knows about the Parallel Time room, and that Barnabas is probably from that time, so she might be able to put the rest together now and figure out that Julia is not Hoffman. Julia is rightly worried. What will Ang do?

Interesting how easily Angelique told the truth about the burning Alexis' body to Hamilton. She never showed any remorse about murdering her sister, and how casually she lies about it. She tried to keep herself out of it, but Cyrus got her, too, and rightly so. How will this all end? Well, this is some of the most interesting stuff in PT, so enjoy. This storyline will end quite soon.

1049 -
Roger pronounces what Carolyn said, "The most ridiculous thing I've ever heard--Alexis is Angelique!  Carolyn giggles--but true, oh so true, she adds--it's really quite funny--you loved Angelique so, yet when she comes back, you don't even recognize her! Laughing, she pours herself another drink. Stop that laughing! he orders, incensed. If you will check, dear uncle, you will find the place beneath her skull where that hat pin... Don't talk like this! he shouts. You have never liked the truth, she says, it's too real for you. Real? he repeats--I don't believe it, that's all. You'd better--I have proof, she says. What proof? he asks. She continues laughing. TELL ME! he rants. She laughs on--I can't, she insists--to tell how I know would mean revealing another secret, and one more would be too many for you--you're upset as it is. I think you've lost your mind, he says. Oh, no, she says. The dead do not come back, he insists. Don't they? she asks--you'd better stop trying to convince yourself that I'm lying or joking, you'll be much better off if you believe me--she has come back for a reason. And I suppose you know that, too! he accuses. I can guess it, she says, pouring more booze into her glass--can't you? You're drunk--only saying this to upset me! he says. Outside the drawing room doors, we see a pair of men's shoes (it sure looked like Julia in her Hoffman 'do listening in yesterday, didn't it?) I'm trying to warn you, Uncle, she says--everyone in the house should be warned, everyone should know. We see the long-missing Trask standing outside the doors, eavesdropping. If you go around spreading this vicious gossip, warns Roger, you will only succeed in having me put you in a sanitarium.

Amy interrupts Trask--leave me alone, he orders her. Scared, she backs away, turns, and runs to the kitchen. Trask continues listening. I would think you'd like what I told you, she says--why are you threatening me? Anyone who watched her die would never believe your story, says Roger. Oh, but you do, says Carolyn, you won't admit it, but you believe me. I'll tell you exactly what I believe, says Roger--there's no shred of logic to what you're saying, not a bit--if Angelique came back here, she would want revenge. Ah, says Carolyn, and isn't she getting it--where is Quentin now?--escaped from jail, charged with murder--doesn't that seem like revenge? Roger purses his lips. Or, asks Carolyn, don't you think he murdered her? I know he did, states Roger. Do you? asks Carolyn, giggling.  Roger tosses her an angry look.

Angelique catches Trask listening outside the door--is something interesting? she asks. Having just heard that Alexis is really Angelique, he looks at her with narrowed eyes as her theme music plays in the background. Is anything wrong? she asks--why are you looking at me like that? He apologizes and heads for the kitchen.

No one would have killed her, says Roger--but him (meaning Quentin). Angelique enters the drawing room without knocking. No one had his temper, his violence, declares Roger. Carolyn drinks some more. Roger's eyes widen when he see Angelique; he drops his cup. Carolyn laughs, "Oh, Uncle Roger!" as her uncle's breathing grows heavy. Oh...A--Alexis, do come in, invites Carolyn, gesturing with her glass, yes, we were just talking, about...  CAROLYN! shouts Roger warningly. "About your sister's murder," finishes Carolyn.  A subject which Trask seems to find quite interesting, says Ang--he was just eavesdropping outside the door. Was he? asks Roger, I will have a word with him. Don't go, Uncle Roger, says Carolyn, stay--tell Alexis your theories about Quentin. I find the whole subject much too upsetting, says Ang. Oh yes, you must, mustn't she, Uncle? she asks. Roger looks at Angelique--yes, he says. I've caused so much unhappiness here, says Ang (ya THINK?). It's a house filled with secrets, says Carolyn cheerily, you've simply brought some of them to life!--but there are many, many more, oh, so many more, than even you (Angelique) know about--but now I know them all--every one! She drinks, adding, what a funny feeling, to know all the secrets--I must go home now. Her laughter fades; she presses her hand to her forehead, as if abruptly remembering something very sad. Oh, she says, I keep thinking Will will be there waiting for me--he isn't--I suppose I'll accept that, eventually--you see how right I am, don't you, Uncle Roger? She runs from the room. Angelique closes the doors after her. That poor, poor girl, she says, feigning sympathy. Yes, says Roger, staring at Angelique. Is there something wrong with the way I look? she asks testily. He shakes his head--no, he says. You're staring at me, she notes. He apologizes.

Carolyn puts on her shawl and leaves the house. Trask exits the kitchen, grabs his coat, and follows her.

Loomis House - Carolyn sits at the desk, writing what appears to be a letter, when she looks up and spots Trask. Why are you here? she asks.  He doesn't reply. Answer me, she orders. I heard you in the drawing room, he reveals. I already know that, she says. Is it true? he asks--is she Angelique? Do I have to say it again? she asks, sipping more booze. I was with her when she died, he says. She remembers that, I'm sure, she says--pour me a drink--"and, Trask, have one yourself, you look as if you could use one-
-or are you too much the perfect butler to drink with me?" I didn't come here to make drinks, he insists. Shall I guess why you came? she asks. You'll have to tell me how you know, he says. Why? she asks, why does it interest you so much? He doesn't reply. You were in love with her, weren't you? she asks, giggling, even you! She can't be in that house, he insists. Ah, but she is, Trask, and you never even knew it, she says, pouring more booze--you and Roger, her two faithful, devoted servants, never knew. She laughs. How funny that is, she says. It isn't funny! he insists. You don't know, you can't see, she points out, and you're so afraid, all of you, so afraid! He grabs her arm, whirls her around, demands, "Tell me how you know!" She pulls out of his grasp--don't touch me, she commands--ever. He moves in closer--you're causing trouble and will regret it, he says. Am I? she asks--are you going to make me regret it, Trask--are you? He leaves. Carolyn smiles and imbibes yet more booze.

Drawing room - Liz tells Angelique, I haven't been sleeping well--last night I thought I heard footsteps outside the corridor of her room. We've all been under a terrible strain, says Ang. It sounded like Quentin to me, says Liz. That's impossible, says Ang--Quentin would never come here--he's not that mad. The footsteps...begins Liz.  The police have searched the house thoroughly, says Ang. The footsteps, says Liz, sitting beside her on the sofa, were real, as if he were spying on us to see which of us is guilty. Ang scoffs--I'm afraid his escape from the police has almost proved him the guilty one. To the police, perhaps, says Liz, but not to me--Alexis, you don't really believe Quentin killed your sister, do you? I don't want to, answers Angelique hesitantly. Or Bruno Hess? asks Liz. I'm afraid the proof there is rather conclusive, isn't it? asks Ang. Nonsense, says Liz, Quentin has a violent temper, but Bruno couldn't make him lose it to that extent, he was too weak a man. The front door opens; Carolyn enters--well, well, well, she says, here you are, the two graces--and now, we are three. Carolyn! chastises Liz. You should try drinking before lunch, advises Carolyn, leaning over the back of the sofa, it makes the day just sort of float along, especially if you don't eat lunch--at all! Carolyn Loomis! says Liz reproachfully. Oooh, she's shocked, says Carolyn to Angelique
--are you shocked? she asks, blowing booze fumes in the blonde's face--I can't imagine much of anything shocking YOU. Excuse us, Alexis, asks Liz, I'd like to speak to Carolyn alone. Of course, says Ang, and leaves. No lecturing, Mother, says Carolyn, I am a recent widow and I do as I like with my life--I'm only sorry now that I let Will's drinking bother me--I should simply have joined him. Carolyn, begins Liz, I realize... No, you don't, says Carolyn, you don't realize a lot. I know how upset you are, says Liz. Actually, I'm kind of relieved, says Carolyn. Her mother again says her name with reproach. Oh, not about Will, says Carolyn, I'm just so relieved about you--you have no idea how upset I was when I thought...that you had murdered Angelique. CAROLYN! says Liz. I did believe that, Mother, says Carolyn, honestly I did. Roger stands outside the drawing room, eavesdropping. How could you? asks Liz. I was trying to remember everything I could about that seance, says Carolyn--I found the head of a hat pin--your hat pin, the hat pin that killed her. But, darling, that doesn't mean... I know that now, Mother, says Carolyn, pouring more brandy, but I thought you had done it for me--for me and poor Will. No matter what I thought of Angelique, says Liz, I never could have killed her. No, says Carolyn, but I know who did--yesterday and today has been very interesting, I've even talked to people. We must call the police, insists Liz. No, says Carolyn. But we must! says Liz. Because, says Carolyn, sounding rather daffy, it's my secret--I have lots of secrets, I've even seen Quentin, and if I tell one secret, then another secret will come out, and another, and another... Carolyn, you're drunk, accuses Liz, you're making this up. Carolyn hugs the bottle of booze to her chest and says, you can believe that if you want to. Where did you see Quentin? asks Liz, where is he? Roger listens carefully. One secret leads to another secret, says Carolyn evasively. Stop saying that, orders Liz. There are many, many secrets the poor police could never believe, says Carolyn.
As Roger listens, so does Trask, standing in the doorway of the kitchen entrance. No one could ever believe, says Carolyn, no one. Stop talking like this! begs Liz. Yes, Mother, says Carolyn, I will be your good little girl again--except I do know who the murderer is, and tonight, when evening comes, I'll do something about it. Why this evening? asks Liz. Evening brings another secret, says Carolyn, one that speaks and tells me what to do. Carolyn, says Liz, in despair, what's happened to you, what? Carolyn laughs. Roger's face is filled with consternation. Trask's silhouette disappears from the kitchen entrance door; we hear another door slam. Roger goes to look into the kitchen area, wondering who else heard?--Trask?--or was it Quentin?

In the infrequently seen kitchen, Trask holds a very sharp knife. He examines the blade and sharpens it even more. Amy enters--what are you doing? she asks. Nothing, he says hastily, putting down the sharpening tool. Are you still mad at me? she asks--you were this morning--you yelled at me. I'm sorry--truly, he says. Because I almost wasn't going to tell you, except I didn't know who else would help me, she says--I mean, no one else would believe me--will you?--promise? He does. Uncle Will said he'd take care of things, says Amy, but he had that accident before he could--I heard the footsteps again!--the man who lives in the tower room--honest, he does, I found all sorts of things.
Trask kneels to question her, asking have you seen this man? No, she says, I hid, I was afraid! Why haven't you told Roger or Mrs. Stoddard about this, asks Trask. Roger wouldn't believe me, opines Amy, and Liz would just be afraid. OK, says Trask, I'll see who it is--I'll see. They leave the kitchen together. The camera focuses on the sharp knife lying on the counter.

Drawing room - Liz sits by the fire, angrily asking, Roger, please settle down and listen to me--Carolyn is making absolutely no sense at all. Isn't she? asks Roger. I've called Dr. Blum and he told me this kind of behavior often follows severe shock, says Liz. Roger paces, obviously a wreck, too. Well, she certainly had that, agrees Roger. Stop pacing! commands Liz. If I thought staying still would bring a solution to Carolyn's problems, says Roger, I'd stay perfectly still,but it won't--I think she's gone mad. ROGER! reproaches Liz. She should be hospitalized immediately, he insists. I won't even consider it, says Liz. You're always asking for my opinion, says Roger, seething, but you never take it--NEVER!
He storms out, pissed. She glares after him.

We see a dead, stuffed boar in the hallway leading to the tower room, then Trask walking toward it. He's about to open the door when Carolyn shouts his name: TRASK--don't you ever come here again--you're always snooping around, aren't you, Trask--get back upstairs! She gestures violently. When he doesn't move, she says, did you hear me?--I said GO!--I have a right to be up here--the spirit of my husband is in that room--when I am in there, he is with me--now GO! He gives her a look before leaving. She opens the door and goes inside.

6:10 - Liz enters the kitchen with Amy, looking for Trask. Where is he? she wonders aloud--what happens to everyone in this house? I saw him, says Amy, about an hour ago, he was coming downstairs. It's almost dinner time, frets Liz--and Carolyn, where is she, I want her to stay--a secret--the evening will bring another secret. What did you say? Amy asks. Nothing, dear, says Liz. Amy gazes at the counter and wonders, where is the knife Trask was sharpening?--it was right here. She points out the spot. He probably put it away, says Liz, leading Amy out of the kitchen. We see the empty spot where the knife was last time we saw it.

Carolyn stands in the tower room, by the window where it happened, asking Will, do you mind me lying about you?---I know you must come, if I stay here long enough, you must come here. The door opens and closes; an unseen person enters the room. I'd almost given up on you, says Carolyn, smiling, I'm not afraid, you see, before yesterday, I would have been--you must tell me, really, why you killed her--I have to know.
A gloved hand holding THE kitchen knife is raised up. No! cries Carolyn, but the knife plunges down. She screams.

NOTES: Good God! Another murder? Has someone now murdered Carolyn? Who? Trask? Roger? Liz? Amy? It sure looks like someone did, and apparently it's Angelique's murderer--or at least Carolyn, who certainly seemed on the edge of madness, thought so. We're certainly thinning out the group in 1970PT, aren't we, and fast, too? Any idea who did kill Angelique, if you don't know for sure from previous viewings?

Nancy Barrett's performance today surpassed itself. Magnificent. She fearlessly, drunkenly told everyone some telling home truths, and it was such a hoot to watch her blowing booze fumes in Angelique's face. Somehow, you feel the blond bitch deserves it, and Carolyn did it with such drunken aplomb!

Eavesdroppers Incorporated--both Trask and Roger were listening in to things that surely shocked them. Trask seems awfully nervous about the possibility of Angelique returning from the dead, as does Roger. Why? one might wonder.

I think today marks Amy's (Nickerson) last performance on DS, but I could be mistaken. She went on to an illustrious career and deserved it--although she wasn't given much acting to do in recent months, she was wonderful in the 1897 storyline.

Someone put that knife to grisly use--who?

Love, Robin

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:#1048/1049: Robservations 08/04/03: Julia Messes Up; Another Murder?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 05:30:38 PM »
1048 - Julia arrives at Loomis House.  I had a terrible time getting here, she explains to Barnabas--Angelique asked me so many questions. Barnabas apologizes--I had to see you, he says.  Did anything happen to Roxanne? she asks. I put her back in the secret room, he says--but we must find Claude North, who might be the key to destroying Angelique. Julia recalls--Claude North was the name on the sketch you found.  Yes, says Barnabas, and tonight I found Roxanne in the cemetery, lying across the grave of a man named Claude North. If he's dead. . . says Julia.  Yes, the man in the graveyard died in 1866, reveals Barnabas, but the sketch I found was contemporary, perhaps a year or two old--I don't get the connection, but North is very important in Roxanne's life.

Okay, Julia and Barn know Claude North's name because he carefully signed his sketch (how convenient!), but how do they know Roxanne's name?

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 07:03:03 PM »
Okay, Julia and Barn know Claude North's name because he carefully signed his sketch (how convenient!), but how do they know Roxanne's name?

Perhaps they saw her name listed in the credits?   ;D

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 07:27:18 PM »

[lghy] [lghy] [lghy]
Brava, Bette!....that made me laugh out loud!!

Okay, I forget....how DO they know her name?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 03:56:20 AM »

Love it!  I was wondering today when Barnabas called her "Roxanne," how he could possibly know that - and then I find this with your delightful answer! ;D
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 07:32:20 AM »

ROFL

Bette, you're too much! :D