Author Topic: #1046/1047: Robservations 08/01/03: Carolyn Mourns; Claude North  (Read 1180 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1046 - Angelique returns to consciousness, moaning, "The phone...father...the only one." She reaches out but toward the phone, but collapses again before she can even get close.

Barnabas leads Roxanne upstairs from the basement (didn't they perform the experiment in the secret room?) and gently says, keep walking, there's nothing to be afraid of.  She wanders as if in a dream. He faces her and says, you're very lovely--can you understand what I'm saying here?
--can't you tell me who you are, communicate with me?--if not, try and tell me where you come from, what Stokes has done to you. She blinks at him. He pulls Claude North's drawing of her out of the desk and shows it to her--are you aware you're looking at yourself? he asks. She grins. You are capable of reacting to something, he notes, pleased. She trails her finger along the name on the picture. Yes, says Barn, you recognize the name--Claude North is important to you--why?--can you tell me who he is? Her smile turns rather bitter; she reaches out when he places the drawing back in the desk, as if trying to stop him. I'm taking you out of the house, someplace you may recognize--don't be afraid of me, he says, his tone soft, I only want to help you. He reaches for her hand and she trustingly gives it to him; they gaze at each other as they leave the house (no coat for her, Barnabas)?

Angelique manages to crawl across the floor and pull the phone down from the foyer table. Maggie runs downstairs, calling, Alexis!, helps her up, asks what happened. Heart! says Alexis. Maggie gathers up the phone and puts it back on the table--I'm calling Dr. Forbes, she insists. NO! protests Ang, no doctor!--call my father. Maggie helps her up, but protests when the fallen woman wants to move. I've had these seizures before, says Ang, I know what to do, please just help me. Maggie assists her upstairs. Can your father do what a doctor can't do? asks Maggie. There's some medication he can give me, says Ang as they continue trudging up the stairs.

Barnabas leads the redhead to the mausoleum and asks, do you recognize it--come, we'll go inside, he encourages. Her face shows fear. You mustn't be afraid, he says--no harm will come to you. She takes his hand, holding her nightgown off the ground with the other hand. They enter the tomb. She leans back against a wall. Barnabas notes, "You have been here before, haven't you?--you know where you're going and there's something about it that frightens you." He reaches for the ring, explaining, we're going inside because I must know more about you--I'll be by your side, nothing will happen to you. She gasps when the door opens and looks inside, trembling, scared.

Barnabas steps down into the room and beckons for her to come--no one is here, he says, taking her hand again. She steps into the room.  He lights a few of the red candles on the table. She looks around, frightened, backing away as if something terrible happened to her here, until she's pressed against the wall. Barnabas finds a knife on a chair, picks it up, and tells himself, someone else has been in this room since I was here, I'm certain of it.  He shows it to the girl and asks, does it means anything to you?--can you tell me who it belongs to? She smiles, caressing the knife. Does it belongs to Claude North? He asks--I've got to find a way to make you speak to me.

Stokes explains to Angelique, who lies in her bed at Collinwood, the moment Roxanne speaks, I'm afraid it will be the end for you. The end? asks Ang--what are you talking about?
If she regains her powers of speech, he explains, she'll be in complete control of her faculties--it would mean the life force has left her body and returned to that of the other woman. Then I will die, says Ang, distressed. Yes, he says.  What will you do about it? she demands.  I combined black magic with medical science to do this, he reminds her--the medication I gave you a few moments ago should be of some help, but meanwhile, he says, lighting black candles, I will call upon the powers of darkness that have led me so successfully in this experiment. Over the candles, Stokes intones, "You that exist in a world beyond the scope of mortal view, beyond the realms of time and space, hear me as you have before, and again make your unique powers available to me..."

Barnabas tells Roxanne, I'm putting the knife back, and returns it to the chair. She starts to faint; he realizes she's getting weaker. He leads her up the stairs, promising, I'll take you back to Loomis House at once.

My strength is returning, Father, says Angelique--I feel much better--but we must make sure this never happens again. We have to find he body, says Stokes, and hide it in the safest possible place.  Find it! she orders. There is one way to find the body without going to look for it, says Stokes, by contacting Claude North, wherever he is.  Who is he? she asks. A man you're better off not to know, says Stokes angrily--I promised myself I'd have nothing further to do with him. You're going to break that promise, she says--get in touch with him tonight.

Barnabas leads Roxanne back into Loomis House. He holds her close, his arms around her, and helps her to a chair in the drawing room, then opens the secret bookcase.  Her gurney is still inside; she touches its vinyl surface before he helps her to lie down upon it. Barnabas gazes down at her, concerned and worried. He hears a car motor pull in with a screech and exits the secret room, closing the shelf. Carolyn has come home, bearing packages. Sounding happy, she calls, "Will, I'm back!--are you here?"  Dread on his face, Barnabas says, I must speak to you. I'm exhausted, she says, putting her shopping bag down on a table--I visited some friends in Portland last night and shopped all day today, then drove back--is Will here? Unloading her packages, she says, I hope Will hasn't gone out for the evening--I bought things for him in Portland. "Carolyn," begins Barnabas hesitantly. She finishes taking out her packages, remarking, Will and I have done so little for each other in the last few years.  Barnabas looks stricken. Our lives have changed so much since you came here, she says, but I'd like to think there's a little love between us...  Noticing his face, she asks, what's wrong?  He's gazing down, as if ashamed. Something's happened to Will, guesses Carolyn--there's been an accident. Carolyn, says Barnabas, Will is dead.  Carolyn's face expresses horrified disbelief.

Oh my God, moans Carolyn, you can't mean that. Her face twists in pain. I'm afraid it's true, says Barnabas--I'm sorry. Did you kill him? she asks, a tear starting down her face. No I did not, he says softly. Then how did he die? she asks. He jumped out of the tower window at Collinwood, says Barnabas. I don't believe you, Carolyn rails--Will would never do a thing like that!  It's true, says Barnabas, he was with Angelique
--she found out he really knew she was Angelique.  Don't tell me anymore, begs Carolyn, then, her voice rising raggedly, continues, it's not just her fault, it's yours, too, you changed his life when you came here!--you made him your servant and took away what little pride and self-respect he had left!--you can't just blame it on her--you're as guilty as she is--I hate you, Barnabas, I hate you!  She races from the house, Barnabas calling her name. He returns to the secret room.

You're wasting time, Angelique accuses her father, just sitting there. I'll try to find Roxanne on my own once more, he promises, if I fail, I'll contact North. Why are you so afraid of him? asks Ang. It's not that I'm afraid, begins Stokes.  She interrupts--you are afraid!--and what is his relationship with this Roxanne, you still haven't told me that!  And I don't intend to, says Stokes, I told you it would be better off not having anything to do with Claude North. All right, do it your way one more time, agrees Ang, but if you don't succeed, you'll find him--I've come too far to have everything destroyed by your fear for some ordinary man!  Claude North is not an ordinary man, says Stokes, you'll know that at once if you meet him. He leaves. She sits down, still weak.

Collinwood - Maggie finds Carolyn in the drawing room--when did you get back? she asks. A few minutes ago, an hour, says Carolyn distractedly--time doesn't mean very much. She wanders around the room, saying, this is like a funeral parlor, isn't it?  I'm terribly sorry, says Maggie. Yes, says Carolyn, everyone is very sorry, and I don't know why--what did Will and I have, really?--what did we bring to each other's lives?--when you think about it, it wasn't very much--and yet despite everything that was missing, I loved him, and I guess he loved me. Have you been to see Will yet? asks Maggie. Carolyn's face twitches in pain--no, she says--I'm not ready for that yet, not ready to see him--if I looked at him now, it would only remind me of all the things wrong with Collinwood and the people in it. I don't understand, says Maggie. Carolyn clarifies--there's a fearful unreality about this place--no one in it is what he seems to be, or pretends to be, and right at the top of the list is Mr. Barnabas Collins. Barnabas? asks Maggie.  You think he's just an ordinary man, don't you? asks Carolyn. Yes, responds Maggie. Well you're very wrong, says Carolyn bitterly--Barnabas is far from being ordinary. Maggie doesn't get it. "THEN LET ME SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU!" cries Carolyn. "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE REAL BARNABAS COLLINS, THE ONE VERY FEW PEOPLE KNOW!" At that moment, Barnabas interrupts her tirade--"I believe I heard my name mentioned?"  Wiping her nose, Carolyn says, our talk will have to wait--we have an eavesdropper. Carolyn! chastises Maggie. Barnabas sympathetically says, it's understandable that Carolyn isn't herself. You needn't worry about my condition, Barnabas, says Carolyn sarcastically, I've decided I'm going to survive--I have good reason to--and she gazes at him with hatred. Stokes, heading downstairs, overhears Barnabas tell Carolyn, what you're doing isn't going to help you. What I'm doing is my business, not yours! she retorts. Let me take you back to Loomis House, Barnabas offers.  No, she says--I'm planning to spend the evening here at Collinwood. Stokes stands by the door, out of eyeshot, listening.  I won't have a better opportunity than this, muses Stokes--Barnabas and Carolyn are here, I can search for Roxanne at Loomis House. He pops his hat on his head and hurries out.

Barnabas asks Maggie, please leave Carolyn and I alone for just a moment.  I suggest you do what he wants, Carolyn advises Maggie, if you don't, he has a way of forcing you to do it. Maggie looks at Barnabas, who just gazes back at her. She leaves. Barnabas closes the doors. Carolyn closes her eyes with misery, bites her lip. You know it would be easy for me to put a stop to what you're doing to me, he reminds her. Why don't you? she asks--I'm not afraid of you and I don't care about myself anymore. I'm not trying to hurt you, he says, anymore than I ever wanted to hurt Will. But you did, she says. It was beyond me--I was helpless to prevent it, he explains, and you know it--I always considered Will a friend; if you trust me, I will try to see his death is avenged.  Will that bring him back? she asks sadly. No, but it will bring you some small measure of satisfaction, he says--after all, you and Will were very happy together until Angelique came into your lives. Silent for a moment, she agrees--yes, we were. Come, says Barnabas, let me take you back to your house. I haven't seen Will yet, she says, let me go and see him, and then I'll go. He leads her out of the drawing room.  She walks slowly upstairs, Barnabas supporting her.

Loomis House - Carolyn and Barnabas have returned from viewing Will.  As she's heading upstairs to her lonely bedroom, he promises, I will send Angelique back to her grave--I have found a way of fighting her, it's only a question of time. She looks at him as if she doesn't believe him or care anymore, says nothing, and continues upstairs.  Barnabas removes his cape and enters the secret room.
To his horror, Roxanne is gone!

NOTES: Uh, oh, looks like Stokes got Roxanne back! If so, Barnabas' promise to Carolyn will be an empty one.

Kudos galore to Nancy Barrett for her amazing performance today. Her sorrow, anger and bitterness were palpable, real, and you saw it all in her face and her eyes. That one tear running down her face truly broke my heart.

Jonathan Frid, too, turned in a wonderful performance as well, as the guilt-ridden vampire who still must keep his secret. Was Carolyn about to reveal the truth about Barnabas to Maggie? Seemed very close. He really is being sympathetic to her feelings, because he could just bite her and shut her up--but he won't do that to her because he cares for and respects her too much.  I like that.

I really despise Angelique and was glad to see her fall, sorry to see Maggie help her. Wish Maggie would get a clue. Now she has both Alexis and Carolyn dissing Barnabas--will she believe them and turn on him, too?

I know a lot of folks hate Roxanne, but I still think she's adorable, even if she is far too young to be Barnabas' girlfriend. He looks rather foolish lusting romantically after her, but I still think this is a fantasy entertained by the writers themselves and Dan Curtis. Even though Julia was far more deserving of his love, a cute, young chick is better--or so these guys believed.

1047 - Barnabas, upset, exits the secret bookcase room and closes the door.  Julia enters--what happened to the body? she asks--I was with Angelique, who became so weak, she could hardly stand!  The girl is gone, says Barn, and I think Stokes has her
--go find out if this is so, and where he has her--I'll stay here, search the grounds, and check the mausoleum.  Yes, agrees Julia, she might have been drawn to the mausoleum, if she could walk by herself. Be careful, warns Barnabas--it's possible both Angelique and Stokes suspect you. I will, she assures him.  As Barnabas is about to leave, Carolyn comes downstairs--are you going out on another of your adventures to rid Collinwood of the evil of Angelique? she asks.  I'm doing everything I can, he says. Don't you think you've done enough? she asks bitterly. I told you, he says, how sorry I am for Will. He died protecting your secret, she accuses. He died, says Barnabas, to keep Angelique from trying to destroy Quentin and Maggie. And why shouldn't they be destroyed? she demands, getting in Barnabas' face. I know you don't mean that, he says softly.  I do, she assures him, why should Will be destroyed and every hope of happiness we had--all the years we were married, I kept telling myself, things will get better, now there's nothing, nothing at all--and you expect me to say well, as long as Quentin and Maggie survive, it's worth it--WELL I WON'T SAY IT, IT'S NOT WORTH IT--I don't care about them, I only care about Will, and he's dead...he's dead. I'm sorry, says Barnabas, if there was only something he could say or do...  And I'm supposed to live out my life, she rants, watching them enjoy their life together--what if I have no intention of doing that--what if I have my plan? I hope you don't mean anything specific, he warns. Maybe I do, maybe I don't, she says. If his death means anything at all, says Barn, it's to destroy Angelique; if she's not destroyed, his death was for nothing--do you want that?  Closing her eyes, she says no--I'm sorry, I really am, but I loved Will, and he loved me in some way, and now... You are going to get some rest, as I remember, he says.  Rest? she repeats, smiling bitterly--upstairs, in our room--did you say rest?  I must go do something important, he says, but I must know you'll be all right. I won't be, she says, but go on ahead, anyway--I won't betray you, if that's what you're worried about--and do you know why?--because it doesn't make any difference to me, who wins or who loses--go on, go out!, she orders, waving a tissue at him----you're protected by my indifference!  Looking uncomfortable, Barnabas leaves. Carolyn sits on the sofa and begins to cry.  She eyes the booze decanter a moment, rises, pours herself a large drink and takes a big swallow.

On the phone in Collinwood's foyer, Stokes asks "Mr. North", aren't you playing a prank of some kind--Roxanne isn't with you?--of course I'm serious--she's disappeared and it's imperative she come back at once--perhaps you could use some of that rather special psychic sympathy that exists between the two of you to find out where she might be...at least do one thing for me--meet me in half an hour at the usual place--we must find her, I can't exaggerate how important this is and how valuable for both of us--I'll see you there--be very careful--we have rather extraordinary enemies. He puts on his hat and leaves the house.  Outside the front door, he runs into Julia, who says, I've been looking for you--Angelique is very weak again, have you found the girl? No, but I hope to, possibly, he says. Anxiously, Julia asks, do you know where she is?  Possibly, he responds. Anything I can do to help? she asks. Possibly, he answers again--I'll let you know when I have more information. He checks his watch and hurries off. Julia enters Collinwood.

Woods - Roxanne, still in her blue nightie, wanders around, the wind blowing her short, red hair. She looks very sad. She stops, hears someone, hides behind a tree. Barnabas, flashlight in hand,  walks right past her. She exits her hiding place and unhappily watches him walk away.

Stokes is about to enter the tomb when he hears someone coming and hides behind a column.  Dogs howl as Barnabas enters the mausoleum. Stokes comes out of his hiding place, wondering to himself, what brings Barnabas here--how much has he discovered?  Barnabas opens the secret panel as Stokes watches from outside the gate--he knows that, too? Stokes muses--he knows far too much--he must have the girl--is she in there? Barnabas lights the red candles in the little room.  Someone's been here, he realizes, it's been cleaned up--is someone actually living here?--could she have come back here after all?--is this the place where I might find her?--the dagger, the one thing in the room that didn't frighten her, is gone! Stokes, standing outside the secret panel, checks his watch and quickly leaves the tomb. Barnabas finds a cufflink on the floor, and reads the initials aloud--"CN. Claude North, of course!"

Loomis House - Carolyn takes another sip of booze, finishing the glass. She rises from where she's been reclining in front of the fire and gasps when she sees Stokes outside the window. He knocks.  She unsteadily moves to let him in. He hangs up his hat--I hope I didn't alarm you   unduly, he says. Are you in the habit of looking into windows this late at night? she asks. I only wanted to see if you were up, he says--I was passing by and thought I could extend my serious condolences--your husband was a fine man and good friend. Fine? she asks drunkenly--he   was a drunk who squandered the gifts he had--and as for being your friend...  I know you didn't approve of our relationship, he says, nevertheless, he was my friend--I shall feel his loss very deeply. Excuse me, she says rudely--I'm very busy. She gets more booze.  Allow me, he offers. Thank you, she says. He fills her glass--say what you want about Will's talents, he says, I always thought them far beyond the ordinary--very far--don't get me wrong, but one thing fascinates me, but the influence of the name Barnabas Collins on Will's life--his biography of the 18th century Barnabas was his greatest success. Oh yes, she says, with an ugly chuckle, handing him her almost empty glass, his greatest success. Stokes pours her another drink and continues--and then a new Barnabas Collins came on the scene and he, too, in his own way, began to influence Will's life--I wondered if the new Barnabas Collins might not provide the material for a new book. He hands her another drink and continues--an extraordinary man, Barnabas Collins, don't you think? I really don't know him that well, she says. But there was, Stokes says, a connection between his arrival and the change in Will's life. I don't really know, she says, sounding angry that he's still talking. I suppose it doesn't matter now, says Stokes, he's gone, we'll never know the reasons--why would a man of his talents, his future, with a young, beautiful wife--why would such a man deliberately destroy himself?--I can't for the life of me figure it out--why would Will do such a thing?  She looks up at him--I would rather not talk about it, if you don't mind, she says. Of course you wouldn't, he agrees, it defies rational thought!  She drinks some more.  I think there must have been someone else behind it, says Stokes--am I right or wrong?--tell me. She looks him in the face--you're right, she says.
Then there was someone else behind it, says Stokes again, but before he can question Carolyn further, Barnabas returns home. Carolyn coughs on her booze. Are you paying a social call at this hour? asks Barnabas. Yes, says Stokes, I heard about Will in town and came to express my deepest sympathies to Mrs. Collins (Loomis?). I'm sure she's accepted, says Barnabas, which means you are free to leave. It is rather late, agrees Stokes--we both have a taste for nocturnal living, Mr. Collins--it's a pity we aren't better friends, it seems we have much in common. I doubt that, says Barn. Carolyn listens closely. Stokes rubs his hands together and says, for example, my fondness for long walks over unusual terrain at night--just this evening, I was coming home, walking, and took a shortcut through the cemetery--would you believe, I saw you there?  It's possible, says Barnabas mildly, I took a shortcut myself--and now, if you'll excuse us, Mrs. Loomis is tired. Of course, says Stokes, but before I leave, he adds, when I mentioned your rather irregular life to Will a few days ago, he conjectured you might have a girl somewhere--was he right?--do you have a girl somewhere?  I believe I said good night, replies Barn curtly. Yes, good night, says Stokes. He bids Carolyn good night, puts on his hat, and leaves. Barnabas is very perturbed.  He said Will was gifted, Carolyn murmurs in a faraway voice--he said no one really appreciated him until it was too late, and he was right...  Come Carolyn, says Barnabas, reaching for the glass in her hand, let me take you upstairs--he only said those things to get you to talk. But they were true, all true, she says. Come, please, Carolyn, he says, annoyed. No, she insists, I don't want to rest, I never want to rest again as long as I live!  She races out the door, Barnabas calling after her.

Carolyn bursts through the front door of Collinwood, calling to Will.  She runs upstairs, still calling her dead husband. She walks across the landing.

Loomis House - Julia, go to Stokes, Barnabas orders, tell him you searched the locked basement and found nothing. At least we know he doesn't have the girl, she says. But who has? frets Barnabas. Perhaps she was able to move by herself and went out, says Julia. Perhaps, says  Barnabas, reaching for his cape--but I'm going to the mausoleum--it's possible she's going there, or Claude North is bringing her there--before you go to Stokes, find Carolyn. Isn't she upstairs? asks Julia. No, says Barnabas, she went to Collinwood, I'm very worried about her, she's very upset--there's no telling what she might do.

Carolyn opens the tower room window and looks down. He died here, she reminds herself, jumped, so far down, so far...Will!  She begins to sob, her head down on her arm. A man wearing Quentin's hideous plaid jacket enters the tower room--is it Quentin? He closes the door and goes over to the crying Carolyn, puts his hand on her shoulder. She turns around, startled, sees it IS Quentin, and says his name. You shouldn't be up here, he says, his tone very strict.
He's dead, she says sadly, Will is dead. I know, says Quentin, I'm very sorry. What will happen to us? she asks, all of us? I don't know, he admits. We'll never win--she's too powerful, says Carolyn--Barnabas is powerful, too, but she'll win, I know it. What are you talking about? she asks. Angelique, says Carolyn--she is Angelique, you know--she's dead, but she's alive.  You're drunk, accuses Quentin. Carolyn continues, insisting, she's going to destroy all of us. Angelique does not exist, I destroyed her myself, Quentin says. Carolyn, crying, lifts her head--that's not possible, she says. Yes it is, he says--get out of here. Then my mother didn't...begins Carolyn, pleased. What are you talking about? he asks. Nothing, she says--I'm going to go now, you're right, I shouldn't be here. You're right, you shouldn't be, he agrees, and if you tell anyone... She holds his arms and promises, I won't tell, don't worry, your secret is safe with me. It had better be, he threatens.  She leaves. He closes the door after her and sits down on the bed, thinking.

Mausoleum - Barnabas opens the secret door and enters the tomb. He sits down in the chair, hears a noise, rises and finds Roxanne in the outer room of the mausoleum. You! he cries, but she turns to leave. Wait! He calls, but she's gone. He quickly closes the secret room.

Cemetery - Roxanne kneels in front of a tombstone, running her fingers over the lettering.
When Barnabas finds her, she has collapsed on what turns out to be Claude North's grave, who was born in 1814--and died in 1866.

NOTES: Ah, the plot thickens--is Claude North some ghost, vampire or other supernatural creature that has returned after death?

Quentin HAS been hiding out at Collinwood! He told Carolyn HE took care of Angelique, but she doesn't know what he's referring to--that he and Cyrus burned what they THOUGHT was Angelique's body way back at the beginning of this storyline! Carolyn told him the truth, that Angelique lives NOW, but Quentin only knows what he did and that what Carolyn told him is impossible.

The rightfully embittered, drunken Carolyn is a hoot--and right on target. When she asks if he's going out to rid Collinwood of the evils of Angelique, you picture him as a superhero (caped!) and it's wickedly amusing. Here I come to save the day! He might sing if this were an opera--"Barnabas C is on his waaaaay!" Her early scene with Barnabas was heart-breaking, as she goes from threatening to put her own "plan" into action and ending with her tears over her loss. How skillfully Stokes questions her, and how close he comes to learning about Barnabas! That he worked on her and hurt her, emotionally, was especially cruel; one senses Will's ghost would gladly punch him out if he heard how Stokes rubbed salt into his vulnerable wife's gaping wounds.

Carolyn now believes her mother did not kill Angelique, but that's only because she believes Quentin did. This is an interesting mix-up. Both parties are wrong.

Another Emmy-winning performance by Barrett today. She plays every scene with brilliance in this ep.

Love, Robin