Author Topic: Next up For Burton/Depp  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Next up For Burton/Depp
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
Well, apparently Depp has one less film in his pipeline -

Johnny Depp Exits Whitey Bulger Biopic Over Salary Dispute

- which could mean that Phibes might move up. Well, if it is indeed a real project in his pipeline...

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »
Well, apparently Depp has one less film in his pipeline -

Johnny Depp Exits Whitey Bulger Biopic Over Salary Dispute

- which could mean that Phibes might move up. Well, if it is indeed a real project in his pipeline...

This was quite a shock!  Just a couple of days ago, the director or someone with Black Mass confirmed that filming was starting on Aug. 5.  Guess they're going to have to scramble now to get someone else if they want to start that soon!  I guess I shouldn't have sounded so sure of myself when I posted here the other day ;)

But there is no way they could start Phibes by August, at least not with Burton.  He's about to start his movie Big Eyes (edited to add- Big Eyes will apparently start filming in July).  And just before the Black Mass news was news that the directors for Pirates 5 had signed on, and that they expect filming of that to start by January.  So Phibes would have to be behind that, unless someone pulls some miracle  [easter_grin]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 10:56:03 PM »
Is The Thin Man still a go?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 12:20:56 AM »
Is The Thin Man still a go?

Good question. About a year ago, there were some rumors about possible leading ladies for Nora, and then I think that was the last we heard.  Rob Marshall (who is directing Into The Woods) was going to be the director, and I *think* that some recent articles about Into The Woods did indicate that he was still planning to direct The Thin Man, but I guess they probably won't even think about that until after Into The Woods is filmed.

Sometimes a year (or more) goes by without any news on a project, and we start to think it'll never happen, and then all of a sudden we hear more.  Or, sometimes it really never happens  [easter_grin]  Honestly, as much as folks were fretting here about the DS status, I always thought that that one got made fairly smoothly, relatively speaking.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »
Well, now I've received BOTH my collections of the Vincent Price movies (Pit & Pendulum, Dr. Phibes and 'Dr. Phibes Revisted' {or whatever Phibes II is}, Madhouse, The Raven, and many more)!!!

Glad we had this discussion; it benefited me greatly....

Patti

Big PS...I had pre-ordered Dark Skies by one day; I received it and watched it this past weekend. [easter_tongue] skip it**of course, this is in my humble own opinion....  [easter_azn]
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 06:42:19 PM »
They follow Dark Shadows with a remake of Dr. Phibes.

So, as I mentioned, I just purchased 'The Abdominal Dr. Phibes'.

OMG!! I guess it's been more than 30 years since I've seen it, and I certainly never saw it 'un-cut' or unedited!!! What a ***^effing trip (and I do mean trip, as in LSD!!!)

I've yet to watch the sequel (the boxed set I got has Phibes on side A with Return of Phibes on side B of disc).

I've never seen the sequel to Phibes...should be quite interesting.

If anyone has a chance to watch it, do it.

What a hoot!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Thanx, Patti, I think I'll stick with my first impression from all those years ago.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 09:54:12 PM »
The Phibes films are favorites of mine. I first saw them on "CBS Late Movie" airings so there were cuts.  I know a lot of fans diss the sequel (and Vincent Price himself was very angry about it) but there are several elements in it I love, including VP's "mod" styled wig and the high Art Deco Egyptian sets.  Also fun to have such folks as Fiona Lewis and Robert Quarry on hand.  Terry-Thomas and Beryl Reid both have cameos that are amusing.

I really, really hope the Burton/Depp remake just falls through.  But this time around I'm determined simply to ignore its existence if it is released.

The director of the Phibes films was Bob Fuest who died a couple of years ago and has, I believe, an odd connection to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series.  Fuest did a B movie called The Devil's Rain (filmed in Mexico, maybe?) that was really schlocky but was, I think, the first film to use the visual image of people possessed by the Devil/forces of darkness have eyes that turn black all the way through.  When this showed up on BTVS I immediately thought of "The Devil's Rain." 

My personal favorite Fuest film of all is the 1973 offbeat sci fi apocalyptic thriller, The Last Days of Man on Earth, aka The Final Programme.  It's unfortunately practically impossible to find now.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »
According to his Wikipedia entry, Robert Fuest also co-wrote the Phibes sequel. He also directed several of the more stylish elisotof The Avengers during the Tara King run.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
The Phibes films are favorites of mine. I first saw them on "CBS Late Movie" airings so there were cuts.  I know a lot of fans diss the sequel (and Vincent Price himself was very angry about it) but there are several elements in it I love,
My personal favorite Fuest film of all is the 1973 offbeat sci fi apocalyptic thriller, The Last Days of Man on Earth, aka The Final Programme.  It's unfortunately practically impossible to find now.

I didn't know it was THAT rare.... I'll consider self fortunate to have a SF friend who sent me this. film.  If I had the facilities I'd make a copy since you sent me some DS 1966 on VHS...

VP was mad about Phibes II?   I thought it must have been his input that made Phibes so ridiculously talkative in it.   I figured it was the ham in Price, and I may have seriously misjudged him...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »
Magnus--I do own the Last Man on Earth DVD.  It's among my most prized possessions. 

I loved VP's comic salvos and quips in Phibes Rises Again.  There was some improvisation but most of what you heard was scripted by Director Bob Fuest, I believe.

To each his own.

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »
Holy Cow!
I 'Amazoned' Last Days of Man on Earth....$80!!!! (the used was only like 78.XX)!!!

Is there also a film, starring VP, called "The Last Man on Earth"?

Patti

Then I just entered "The Devil'sRain", and that can be had used for $5.99ish.
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 11:53:43 PM »
The Vincent Price "Last Man on Earth" was the first film adaptation of Richard Matheson's novel, I am Legend.  It was filmed in Italy.  Public domain prints have circulated for decades.  I don't know whether the movie has ever had a restored release on home video.

The Bob Fuest "Last Days of Man on Earth" is a cult film so it's not surprising that the prices are so high.  It's one of those films that you are love passionately, or can't even get through ten minutes of.

"The Devil's Rain" had some funny bits for Bill Shatner (recording artist whose cover of "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" caused quite a stir once upon a time), Ernie Borgnine, and Ida Lupino.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 11:59:53 PM »
For good, bad or indifferent, The Devil's Rain is also an early film credit for John Travolta.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »
Just a gentle reminder that this topic is about what's up next for Burton/Depp and/or Dr. Phibes, and, well, the latest posts have gone way beyond those topics.  [ghost_wink]