Author Topic: DS DVD questions  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS DVD questions
« on: July 09, 2003, 05:12:14 PM »
Well. Finally purchased a DVD player--courtesy of Wal-Mart for $50 (only the best for moi). Managed to get it hooked up and functioning and everything (without, I might add, losing functionality of my VCR).

Who's got the best deals on the DS DVDs? MPI? Amazon? I found one at Best Buy and purchased it, but money is a concern...

I'm quite amazed, btw, at the visual quality of the DVDs from DS. My goal is to figure out what that weird fish thingy in David's room is supposed to be  8)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline boykading

• Junior Poster
  • Arggh.
    • View Profile
Re:DS DVD questions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 07:20:11 PM »
I'm a fan of deepdiscountdvd.com.

Cheapest prices (as far as I know), free shipping and good customer experience.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 11:46:37 PM »
Congratulations on buying a DVD player.  My husband bought me a Dark Shadows DVD through deepdiscountdvd and was happy with the service.  It was also the lowest price for the DVD he could find.
Have fun with your new toy, Luciaphil.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 01:43:37 AM »
I'm glad someone else started this topic, 'cause I was going to.

First...the ?MPI? tapes; what are they (is MPI a marketing co that owns the distribution rights to DS?)

Second...what eps are currently available through MPI (or elsewhere, though I've never heard of anyone else).

Third...is there a median price (if I don't want to go to the aforementioned site...is it substantially more in a store...also, are there big discepancies in each disc...ie, is Vol. I $20,000 :o and disc IV is 10.00?) I just looked...$43.19!!!
Also, it doesn't say which eps are on the disc :-

Okay...let's say Patti owns disc II, and just for the sake of conversation, we'll say disc II has eps 200-300??

If today on  tv, ep 220 & 221 were being shown, and I wanted to watch concurrently (as I know a few people on here do), can I just ?hit? which eps to see (is there a breakdown/menu which lists each ep?)

I believe disc V is currently released; if so, which ep is it up to and is  there a guestimated release for VI, etc?

Thanks for your help :-*

Patti (who owns, but barely knows how to operate a DVD player).

Hooray Luciaphil!!!!
What a Woman!

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 05:57:29 AM »
I always preorder them off amazon.com.  That seems to be the cheapest way I've found.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 06:04:23 AM »
Currently there are 6 volumes of 4 DVD's per volume available.  They run for Barnabas's arrival through the later portion of the 1795 flashback.  That is all that is available on DVD right now.  Every other month (with August being the next month) a new volume, containing 40 episodes will be released by MPI.  MPI is the only company authorized to produce the DS DVD'S, to answer another of your questions.

The regular price from MPI and most retail stores is 59.99.  Online and I'm sure in some other regular stores, they are available for less.  The suggested retail price is what MPI sells them for.   An online store like Amazon has them initially for $44.99 and even with shipping I get them for $50, which is still cheper than the regular price.  Other online places, do have them for a bit less and some stores may have it the same way.  I have never checked in stores for them.

The episodes are broken down, by episode number and date of telecast.  There are 10 per disc and you do have to be familiar with what episode is numbered what to easily find one, like you are talking about.  Right now, those watching PT storyline could follow along on VHS, but not DVD.  Those won't be out for sometime to come.

Richard Holt

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 05:54:58 PM »
I have found that DVD Planet (www.dvdplanet.com) has excellent prices on DVDs, usually 25% off the retail price, and 30% off pre-ordered titles.

Regards,

John

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 06:26:39 PM »
I always preorder them off amazon.com.  That seems to be the cheapest way I've found.

That's also what I do. I buy them there because of both the preorder price ($44.95 or something like that) and because you can get free shipping.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 08:18:29 PM »
I'm a fan of deepdiscountdvd.com.

Cheapest prices (as far as I know), free shipping and good customer experience.
Thanks for the info "AAvolan" (though I know that's not your real name  ;) )  I just pre-ordered my next set from them. They're slightly cheaper than Amazon even with Amazon's cheaper pre-order price and free shipping for over $25.

Hey, I didn't win PowerBall last night so money is money!

~CastleBee
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline boykading

• Junior Poster
  • Arggh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 04:18:30 PM »
Thanks for the info "AAvolan" (though I know that's not your real name  ;))

~CastleBee

You know, sometimes I just don't know who I am anymore. :D Glad I could be of help!

Boy Kading

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2003, 03:47:38 AM »
To find the best DVD prices online go to www.dvdpricesearch.com It's a great site...Most of the really cheap ones use media mail which takes 7-10 days but you do save money...

Of course, I recommend using Amazon.com and clicking through the link at my site, since they're the sites sole source of income...;-)

MPI is a video company that's been around for over 20 years. They've had releases under the GORGON label and others including the faces of death series and dozens of other titles. They are the only company that has ever licensed the DS episodes for home video releases.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2003, 05:31:54 PM »
Jumping into this thread, hoping it isn't totally dead.  We just got a DVD player this past weekend, and I'm ready to start purchasing the Dark Shadows box sets.  But I'm not made of money.

My question is this: out of the five or six DS box sets currently available, which one do y'all think is the best in terms of extras, picture/sound clarity, etc?

BTW, I've checked several sites, and it looks like to me like www.deepdiscountdvd.com is the best deal, since they offer free shipping.  But the other sites listed in this thread are comparable.

Any help will be most appreciated!  8)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.