Author Topic: How Satisfying Was the End of 1795, and Why? (Spoiler thread)  (Read 830 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Thought just occurred:  I've been disappointed by the end of 1795 every time, because it seems during 1795 as if some climax has to happen, where Barnabas becomes increasingly more "evil", and he eventually has to be forced into the coffin and chained.   On my first adult viewing (2002), the gloom hanging over the whole thing was because I thought I knew for sure that that had to happen, at the end. Seeing Barnabas agree to being destroyed in an almost casual-sounding conversation, brief at least, with his father was an anti-climax.

What just now occurred to me is that if his family and maybe others too had coerced him into the box, certainly his family at least since he went into a family crypt, Barnabas would have risen in 1967 full of rage against his own family.  He didn't.  He was honestly affectionate and protective of his new family, without even knowing them.   He had rage built up inside him, but not in that direction.   I suppose it could have turned out that Jerimiah alone had sealed him in the coffin (he was bitter toward him), but still, his total lack of bitterness against the whole modern Collins family makes me think otherwise.

A larger subject for a thread might be the many times, I feel, in which a plot point seems hasty and clumsy and illogical, then upon repeated viewings one can think of very sensible reasons for things to have gone that way... and then, was it intentionally and subtly written that way, without their feeling the need to spoon-feed us an explanation, or did they just luck out?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: How Satisfying Was the End of 1795, and Why? (Spoiler thread)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:47:16 AM »
It never occurred to me that Barnabas would have to become more "evil," but I love the premise.  I think, by that point, the writers had the foresight necessary to know that they could not have an "evil" Barnabas again.  (They lost said foresight during the Leviathan episodes and look at what happened then!)  However, I can totally appreciate the need and desire for an "evil," even "mad" Barnabas at the end of 1795.  But we do get a bit of it with Nathan and Trask.  There is rage and madness in the way he handled those characters. 

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:38:08 AM »
I have seen 1795 at least twice and both times found its conclusion to be the most powerful to any of the timelines in DS. Many of the other storylines had strong endings, but 1795 was tragic in the classic sense, like watching the conclusion to a Shakespearean tragedy. I experienced it as evoking pity and fear - the classic elements of Greek tragedy. I found the end of 1795 to be the most moving on a human scale as well as the most artistically satisfying.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »
Those are some really interesting points Magnus. I'd never quite thought about the possibility that Barnabas could have come out of the coffin in 1967 with a vendetta against the family.
I've always been a bit obsessed with how Barnabas forms relationships with the family in all time periods. I may be projecting this more than the writers intended, but it seems to me that, for example, since Liz, Flora and Judith all so strongly resemble Naomi, that Barnabas naturally has a quick fondness for them.
Barnabas's love of his family is a defining trait of the character, but not one that is given much focus of discussion.
I do think that Barnabas agreeing to be staked, and Joshua's subsequent decision to instead chain him in the coffin indefinitely works with the characters and the story. Victoria's hanging makes for a powerful climax to the story imo.