Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0456  (Read 730 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0456
« on: May 14, 2013, 05:24:40 AM »
Robservations #456

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0456

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »
Vicki and Naomi both refer to Daniel as "David," so we must suppose they were rehearsing for 1968.

In the study at Collinwood, Naomi is only too glad to help Vicki, but she, Vicki, and Daniel are shocked into silence when they hear Nathan call to Millicent outside. Later, Vicki is horrified when Nathan tells Naomi that Peter has been captured (by Nathan, of course) for Noah's murder and will hang for it.

Later, Naomi returns to the study and tells Vicki, I’ve sent Daniel to bed--with Ben guarding him. The careful viewer will note that antique weapons such as crossbows adorn the study walls in 1796. The distraught Vicki finally gets the chance to confess: I shot Noah Gifford! I’m the one who should be punished, not Peter. Naomi is full of pity. You did the only thing possible, she tells Vicki. Thank you for saving Daniel. But Vicki is upset about Peter and refuses to leave without him. Naomi reassures her: I’m sure that Joshua will know what to do when he returns tomorrow. And now Naomi says, You’ll sleep in my room tonight. You’ll be safe there--as safe as anyone is in this house, she adds. She carefully checks to make sure the hallway is deserted before signaling Vicki to follow her.

In the morning, Naomi (with cruel irony, in her pretty spring-green dress) intervenes and Daniel gets away. She tells Nathan, Daniel is going into town to identify the body of his kidnapper. How dare you interfere! Nathan rages. I’m in charge of Daniel! Every inch the queenly Mistress of Collinwood, Naomi declares, Not while I’m in this house--and if Millicent were capable of making decisions she’d agree with me. She makes Nathan really nervous when she adds, I’m going to have the authorities investigate what happened to Daniel, and I’m sure Joshua will support my actions when he returns from Boston. But now Nathan takes his revenge: I know your husband better than you think, he says slyly. Didn’t he tell you about Barnabas? He’s returned. Shocked, Naomi strenuously insists that Barnabas is in England. Nathan says, I know Barnabas isn’t in England. Naomi admits that he’s dead. She is stunned when Nathan tells her, Barnabas isn’t dead. He is alive. He’s a murderer--he attacked Millicent. Joshua is keeping him in the Tower Room. If you don’t believe me, go up to the Tower Room. Go on, he taunts her.

Unable to stop herself, Naomi goes up to the Tower Room. She is surprised to see the coffin there, resting on its plinth. In terror and suspense, she slowly approaches it. She hesitates a long time before she raises the lid with trembling hands....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
Nathan gives away his big Barnabas secret on an impulse.   He never would have taken over Collinwood and lived out life as a rich man.   One way or another, he'd have blown everything, grabbed some cash, and fled like Jason McGuire.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:08:38 PM »
True, MT. I don't think he would have wanted to stay around Millicent after driving her mad, either.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:08:11 AM »
I guess he's also not the kind of man to pull scams habitually, and waited a long time to pull what he probably thought of as the one and only scam of his lifetime, the only one he thought he'd ever need, taking advantage of a good military reputation and a clean record.  So he's patient in some sense, anyway.

Then again, in the military, maybe you could find all sorts of ways to be a schemer and grabber without getting a bad reputation, spoils of war etc..  I was starting to think that he could have used the frequent practice at scams that McGuire gave himself, so maybe he'd be better at it, but in the end I'm not sure how much better McGuire was.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
It is revealed that Joshua is in Boston getting help  Nathan ever the scoundrel reveals to Naomi that Barnabas is not dead and is a murderer. Naomi goes to the tower to see. I am not sure why Peter is being held for Noah's death when he kidnapped Daniel. I can see being held as abetting a fugitive.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:05:39 AM »
I was so pleased that Daniel got Vicki into Collinwood. Close call with Millicent! And Nathan! Naomi busts Noah as Daniel’s attacker and of course Nathan talks his way around it and Vicki hears that Peter has been taken to jail. Vicki Stays overnight with Naomi. I expected Nathan to bust them.

In order to keep Naomi from involving the authorities re: Daniel’s attempted kidnapping, Nathan-the-prick tells Naomi the truth about Barnabas being the Collinsport strangler and directs her to the tower room for proof.
How much more unlikable can they make Nathan for goodness sake. I wonder if Crothers enjoyed the opportunity to play the bad guy?