Author Topic: Can DS possibly come back from the dead one more time after diasterous Depp Film  (Read 13593 times)

Offline A.C.

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
If you look at the history of Dark Shadows it has had an amazing run TOS, the early 70's movies, 1991 revival, and attempt in 2004 for WB and finally the film.

With that said I truly believe it's used up its nine lives because of the film. Because the film was this bizarre hybrid between a drama and dark comedy I think it probably failed to please both camps. I can't imagine you would ever be able to get more than half of the viewers back for any type of sequel.

Sometype of TV revival is most likely the only hope and that would have to be a ways off to try and get people to gradually forget the film...probably the best place for a new DS would be on the AMC network. They choose their shows carefully and are generally very well crafted. It would be an excellent companion piece for The Walking Dead. Even so I think the mistep of the film has probably killed any chance for a resurrection for all time.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is an interesting topic to consider. I think you may be right when you point out the various incarnations that DS has had in the television and film media. It does seem that the show's concept has likely run its course. Perhaps the newer audio series on CD is the best new format for keeping the concept alive, though I haven't listened to any of these myself.

Fortunately we have the entire original series available on DVD, and a forum like this to discuss DS in all of its aspects. The one I personally care the most about -- and the best -- will always be the original series. I'm not sure I care to see another revival or remake, frankly. No movie or remake can ever be done the same or capture the qualities of the original series.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I think for Dark Shadows to work in the modern era, it would have to be significantly re-worked.  So much of the Dark Shadows mythos has been dispersed into our culture that it has lost a lot of its unique identity.  Yes, it did all of it first, but new incarnations can't simply take that fact for granted.  Modern audiences don't care.  I think Dark Shadows has one more chance.  I say this because of Batman.  Many fans of Batman felt that the franchise lost its way with the Batman and Robin film.  However, Christopher Nolan was able to turn that on its head.  What Christopher Nolan did for Batman is what someone needs to do for DS.  Tim Burton produced a "Batman and Robin movie" and now someone needs to reverse it.  It's not going to make everyone happy.  It may upset some fans of the original, but they will, at least, come to appreciate the fact that someone took the material seriously again.  It can be done, but it will take the right people, people who understand the core of Dark Shadows and the needs of the modern-viewing public. 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
I didn't realize the Depp movie damaged anything.   I thought it was just relatively unsuccessful, not considered awful.  Doesn't the TV fandom continue as it did before?

I don't think I'd like anything that "works in the modern era".   You have to spoil anything good to make it conform to modern priorities.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I understand where you're coming from Magnus, but I'm not talking about "sexing it up" or making it overly violent.  I'm talking about not relying on the same tropes that DS has relied on since 1966. 

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
I don't consider the Depp movie diasterous in any way. I love Dark Shadows enough to have run a fan club for 21 years - but really loved the movie as well. (The majority of our club members liked or loved the movie also). It was just a different but valid interpretation of Dark Shadows and won't hurt it any more than Young Frankenstein hurt the Frankenstein franchise.

David

Depp Shadows made money, which is what counts in Hollywood. It was a beautifully shot, sometimes fun, sometimes flawed tribute, but not a remake.
It was neither a blockbuster nor a failure.
of course the franchise will survive. Lara has a new DS novel out this summer. The audio dramas are flourishing. Dynamite Entertainment has just issued Dark Shadows Year One, it's third DS comic title.
DS is not going away.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
david's assessment sounds pretty accurate...

a lighthearted take on the story. an homage of sorts but certainly not a remake or sequel or anything that needs to fit into any sort of continuity. a stand alone variation on the tale(even in the unlikely event of a sequel of it's own)that exists in it's own universe. as such doesn't do any damage to the "franchise" as it stands.

and realistically what kind of "franchise" are we really talking about? DS certainly doesn't have the brand recognition of a 'dracula' or 'star wars' type tale that the overall public is well versed in the basic story outline. to say it's a "niche" player, despite a highly loyal fanbase, would be an understatement. even people who watched the OS during it's run would be hard pressed to recall the storyline in any detail other than regaling tales of "running home from school" or their barnabas lunchbox. but plot specifics? forget it.

the comic books and audiodramas, "thriving" as they may be, are preaching to the choir. not really intended for the general public but existing DS fans or collectors of "graphic novels" again, niche products.

so as has already been stated a lighthearted or even comedic take on an established story that exists as it's own entity outside of any sort of "official" continuity doesn't necessarily "damage" the brand. new variations on the story are still possible to be sure.

and lots of fans, and even those who were initially quite hostile to the project, have warmed to it's offbeat sensibility. I for one was horrified upon my first viewing. I thought it was completely idiotic. and while I still have issues with it(it's cacophonous climactic scene being a major one)I've grown quite fond of it and the dvd is in frequent play. some performances in fact becoming favorites.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
First as others have pointed out we have to rule out the possibility of a sequel. I would assume a decision on that will be made soon if it hasn't already. I just think at this point in time a new DS project will be a hard sell. How will the producers attempt to sell a "serious" DS project to a network for example when most people today only know it as a comedy?

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Jimbo, I think you hit the nail on the head and really understood the concern of the OP. 

Frankly, the only thing people will think of when they hear "DS" nowadays is the "goofy Tim Burton movie."

In fact, today I overheard a conversation about "Dark Shadows" and how it was a disappointment.  Lo and behold, they were talking about the Burton film and didn't know of any other "Dark Shadows." 

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
DS will bounce back at some point. It always does. After April 2, 1971, I never expected to see DS again. Even reruns seem unlikely. Since then, we've had many different takes on DS, some better than others. With the 50th anniversary approaching, another version of DS is probably in our future. 
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The truth of the matter is that we've all heard and have had our own conversations in which something about any and all versions of DS was disappointing. When it comes to disappointment about DS, it's hardly limited to what some might say with regard to the Depp/DS film - as a perusal of dozens upon dozens of topics here on the forum will attest.

And going back to the Batman analogy, just think of how practically a whole generation considered that franchise completely synonymous with the beyond goofy '60s Batman series. Yet, did that stop other more serious versions that came along, whether they were theatrical, animated, or what have you, from taking off? No. The truth is no one version of anything makes a franchise sink or swim. If someone makes a good new version, people will come, regardless of whether it be a humorous take or a serious take. And for more proof of that, just look at, say, how many serious as well as humorous takes there have been on the Dracula story. And the future is no doubt going to bring numerous more of each. And each will be their own thing, just like Francis Ford Coppola's serious Bram Stoker's Dracula (which I personally dislike but many people love) and the humorous Dracula: Dead and Loving It (which I personally love but some detest) were each their own thing.

David

The "soap opera" stigma has held DS back from becoming a Star Wars/Star Trek sized franchise, but it's name recognition is sizable.
If it were going to fade away it would have done so long ago.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And going back to the Batman analogy, just think of how practically a whole generation considered that franchise completely synonymous with the beyond goofy '60s Batman series. Yet, did that stop other more serious versions that came along, whether they were theatrical, animated, or what have you, from taking off? No.

And this is what gives me hope.  But since other versions of DS are not as well known to the general public, I think it needs to come back in a big way to overcome the hurdles presented by the tone of the Depp film, which probably should not have just been billed as "Dark Shadows" without any modifiers.  But that's an opinion for another day. 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am trying not to take sides because all the arguments presented here are all valid. The question remains is DS marketable as a movie or TV franchise as of today and is it more viable as a comedy or as a gothic horror? I think there is this stink, perceived or not, from the last movie. There are some cousins here who are in denial imo as that it is their belief that the majority of people and critics loved this movie. I believe that the majority did not like the movie on several levels and that the majority of the population see DS as a comedy (Cousin Barnabas put it better) and they have no frame of reference to go on (although they should). There are indeed hurdles to overcome. I would first try to distance itself from the last movie. How one does that I am not sure. But that has to be part of the pitch for a new project. I would say to a prospective buyer that the Depp movie was loosely based on the original DS as a starting point. I would take the project to FOX first. FOX is interested in limited series i.e. "The Following" (15) episodes and the "24" 13 episode new proposed series. I am not sure about AMC network as I don't go there. My second choice (not as a fan but as a seller) would be MTV as it is bringing the Scream movie franchise to its network. I think its audience may fall in love with DS. I would also pitch it to ABC and NBC as they could surely use a hit series. I am optimistic that there could be a new DS project in the near future. As DC used to say there was always a DS project in the works.