Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0453  (Read 901 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0453
« on: May 09, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
Robservations #453

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0453

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 08:24:31 PM »
Nathan shows his true colors by locking poor Millicent in her room, not letting Daniel see her, and nastily threatening the poor little guy.

Peter and Vicki find refuge at the Old House, where Ben helps them. Although almost no one who knows him would think Ben a gentleman, he shows his true colors by apologizing diffidently to Vicki before cutting away the sleeve of her gown so he can dress her wound. He says the ball went clean through, but there's no exit wound. His soldiering experience comes in handy yet again when he cleans the wound and wraps it with a strip of cloth, tying the ends together in a rough field dressing. Ben says he was wounded in the war. Couldn't they have given the poor guy a Purple Heart? Maybe they did, and he had to sell it to get money for food. Sad.

Poor Daniel comes looking for Ben, who hides Peter and Vicki in the secret room under the stairs where a long time from now, Matthew Morgan imprisons Vicki. Daniel spots the entirely unconvincing blobs of red wax/bloodstains. The circmstances could hardly be worse, but he and Vicki have a happy reunion.

Ben tells Peter and Vicki that the most secure place is about twenty minutes’ walk away. He means the mausoleum, of course. Strangely, Eagle Hill Cemetery has crept closer and closer to Collinwood since the show began, when it was said to be five miles outside of town. (Of course, they could have run there in twenty minutes if they could all do five-minute miles.)

Daniel returns to Collinwood and to a suspicious Nathan, who asks if he's seen Vicki. Daniel shows his true colors by denying knowing anything, then runs away.

Vicki has an awful dream, screams herself awake, then realizes that the dream is coming true!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 05:16:56 PM »
Now that Vicky has seen the secret room in the mausoleum, she should realize David was right and that what he said about the coffin and Barnabas may be right too.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »
Why go to the Old House?  Because Peter's brain hasn't activated yet?    Well, Ben could dress a wound as it turns out.   ***   Things are at least vaguely going Nathan's way; he should be happier.   Maybe it hasn't fully hit him yet, but scamming a family while living in their midst and hanging out with them every hour, soaking in contempt every moment, isn't as much fun as it might sound on paper, unless you have a pair made of titanium like Jason McGuire's.   Crothers is good at conveying Nathan's just-barely-concealed total contempt and self-absorption, though.   I'd feel like I was in danger of soaking in the malevolence just being in the same room with him.

They briefly show Vicki recognizing the secret space from her time with Matthew Morgan, expecting us to remember too, which I appreciate.   I don't know that it's under any staiurs though, DL, and I mention this only because it would be interesting to find out about stairs I hadn't known about before.

Ingenious Vicki manages to get herself shot, in a perfectly planned plot to justify (semi) sleevelessness, even in the 18th century.   DS became what it needs to be and should be temporarily, with that nice long mood sequence, leading into Vicki's dream about Nathan strangling Daniel, with red-herring fake-out glimpse of mausoleum's back room's coffin included at no extra charge.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »
You're right, I think, MT. I believe the secret room at the OH isn't quite under the stairs. But I don't have the DVDs so it's hard to picture.

Online alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 02:42:50 AM »
Poor Daniel has realized that Millicent has gone round the loop and then Nathan reveals he is in charge and mandhandles Daniel.  One cannot just decide to be someones guardian. Assuming that Millicent was appointed by the court which is unlikely because they didn't appoint women in those days, then for her to be removed she would have to be declared incompetent which is obviously is and then the court would appoint another guardian.  Of course this is the town of Collinsport where the court system is in la la land.
Vickie finally wants to get away as far as she can. Ben whips open the secret door to hide them and then Daniel appears bringing to mind the kidnapping of Vickie by Matthew Morgan. 
Vickie dreams of of coffin and Daniel strangled by Nathan.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:42:29 AM »
Pretty cool episode. I guess the Old House really is the only place to go at this point, and as Peter reasons, they’ll be safe there - at least temporarily. It ends up being a sound decision because Ben is there and he is the perfect ally. I totally forgot about the secret room in the Old House drawing room. Daniel finding Vicki & Peter by following the trail of blood was pretty hokey, but as I kid I would have eaten that stuff up. I can’t imagine why Daniel would even know about the secret room. The only reasonable explanation is that Sarah showed it to him. It wasn’t hard to guess that P&V would end up in the mausoleum’s secret room. If Nathan were out of the picture, Collinwood would have been a better place to hide and I don’t think it would have been too unreasonable to think that Naomi & Joshua would have hidden them there for the rest of their lives. And I am thinking that Barn might need the mausoleum room for when the search party searched the Old House for the escapees. But, oh well.

I can’t reconcile Vicki having a somnambulistic premonition about Daniel. Is this her first unimbedded premonition? Or does she actually have psychic powers? I don’t feel Daniel said enough about his situation at Collinwood to warrant Vicki having an organic dream about him being in danger.