Author Topic: Angelique Stokes Collins (de Winter)  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Angelique Stokes Collins (de Winter)
« on: July 13, 2003, 02:17:38 AM »
Though it's debatable whether RT Angelique genuinely loved Barnabas, we know why she never put a spell on him to force him to love her (she wanted him to come to her willingly, blah blah) and so she used his little sister, etc., to get to him.  But I can't recall similar discussions about PT Angelique.  So...

Do you think PT Angelique really feels anything for Quentin?  Do you think she ever did?

Instead of risking his life (see Raineypark's post about Ange's incompetence) to get Maggie to return to Collinwood just so she could toy with her, why didn't Angelique put a spell on Quentin to make him fall for her instead?

These questions have been discussed here before, but since we have many new members...

Do you think Angie's other men-- Bruno, Cyrus, Will, Dameon, Trask, Roger-- were once her lovers?

How would you explain a 30 year old woman (according to her gravestone) being mother to Daniel (who was played by a 13 year old actor)?

If you think it's necessary, please use spoiler code:
Code: [Select]
[spoiler]spoiler goes here[/spoiler] out of respect for our newbies. :D

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
Re:Angelique Stokes Collins (de Winter)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 03:07:49 AM »
Though it's debatable whether RT Angelique genuinely loved Barnabas, we know why she never put a spell on him to force him to love her (she wanted him to come to her willingly, blah blah) and so she used his little sister, etc., to get to him.  But I can't recall similar discussions about PT Angelique.  So...

Do you think PT Angelique really feels anything for Quentin?  Do you think she ever did?

[spoiler]I don't think PT Angelique has feelings of love for Quentin.  She's possessive but that's different than love.  I think that she wanted Quentin for whatever position or power or wealth comes with being Mrs. Quentin Collins.[/spoiler]

Instead of risking his life (see Raineypark's post about Ange's incompetence) to get Maggie to return to Collinwood just so she could toy with her, why didn't Angelique put a spell on Quentin to make him fall for her instead?

[spoiler]Well ... maybe she did and the spells backfired!  She doesn't seem to have much skill at casting effective spells...[/spoiler]

Do you think Angie's other men-- Bruno, Cyrus, Will, Dameon, Trask, Roger-- were once her lovers?

[spoiler]Maybe yes.  I'm thinking maybe because they are all so enthralled with her.  Sometimes I think that the desire for a relationship binds someone closer than actually being in a relationship ... if that makes sense.  The dream of what could be is more alluring than the actual reality.[/spoiler]

How would you explain a 30 year old woman (according to her gravestone) being mother to Daniel (who was played by a 13 year old actor)?

[spoiler]Sexually precocious?  Maybe she was clever enough to realize if she was pregnant with Quentin's baby he'd have to marry her.[/spoiler]

I don't know if the spoilers were necessary for the other answers but I figured better safe than sorry.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 01:27:03 PM »
I don't think Angelique (PT, of course) really knew what love was; she was way too self absorbed.  She confused it with wanting to be worshiped, and the poor, little thing confused that with how she felt about Quentin.  She was undoubtedly the most popular girl in Collinsport, making herself that by being crafty (again, I'd figure her craftiness was more of the manipulative rather than the witchy kind).  As a teen, she had set her eyes on Quentin because he was the principle heir to the fortune of one of Maine's wealthiest families.  Certainly, the girl had no intention of marrying the grease-monkey at the Collinsport Auto Repair shop.  And once she manipulated herself into his life (maybe with the help of her father), everyone told Quentin that she was the only one suitable enough for being his wife.

Regarding her age and Daniel's age, I'm gonna squash numbers here.  I made Daniel 12.  Quentin (who I make to be 34) and Angelique married right after she graduated high school and she became pregnant during their honeymoon.

As for all those other men in her life, they were just more trophies.  She never had - you know - with them (unless she belonged to the Macrame and Zen website), but just strung them along.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 05:37:41 PM »

[spoiler]Nope...and I don't think it was just Quentin's money; at some point, she just got it into her head that HE was going to marry her. She doesn't love herself, in a healthy way...and we all remember what mom said: If you don't love yourself, no one else will.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Oh come on....she lied!!! (Actually though, IIRC, she (Lara Parker) was born in like '42, so she'd be younger than 30[/spoiler]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 02:05:07 AM »
I don't think Angelique (PT, of course) really knew what love was; she was way too self absorbed.  She confused it with wanting to be worshiped, and the poor, little thing confused that with how she felt about Quentin.  She was undoubtedly the most popular girl in Collinsport, making herself that by being crafty (again, I'd figure her craftiness was more of the manipulative rather than the witchy kind).  As a teen, she had set her eyes on Quentin because he was the principle heir to the fortune of one of Maine's wealthiest families.  Certainly, the girl had no intention of marrying the grease-monkey at the Collinsport Auto Repair shop.  And once she manipulated herself into his life (maybe with the help of her father), everyone told Quentin that she was the only one suitable enough for being his wife.

Regarding her age and Daniel's age, I'm gonna squash numbers here.  I made Daniel 12.  Quentin (who I make to be 34) and Angelique married right after she graduated high school and she became pregnant during their honeymoon.

As for all those other men in her life, they were just more trophies.  She never had - you know - with them (unless she belonged to the Macrame and Zen website), but just strung them along.

Gerard,

On behalf of all grease-monkeys across America (Arthur Fonzarelli, Gomer and Goober Pyle, Mr. Goodwrench and Joey Buttafucco to name but a few), I think that Angelique could do a lot worse than with a man who's proficient with the use of a crescent wrench, IMHO.

Bob the Bartender, a big fan of that fascinating, "moustachioed" guy from Apex.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 03:45:32 PM »
Glad to still see this topic, because I wanted to respond to it...

Yes, I think PT Angelique does have feelings for Quentin, she's obsessed with him!  And IMHO, she's more than a little pissed off that he could marry again so soon after her death to mousy little Maggie Evans.  Plus, I think she always saw herself as the grand lady, and believed growing up that being the mistress Collinwood and wife of Quentin was her birthright.

I think she doesn't put a spell on Quentin to love her for the same reason(s) she didn't hex Barnabas.  He has to come to her willingly, blah blah blah.  That's the only way she can get him to share in her unholy existence.

Did she get busy with Bruno, Will, Cyrus, and Dameon?  My money's on yes!  As for Trask, you can't be sure.  I think she would be too snobby to sleep with the help.  And as for Roger - I don't think so at all.  He was probably more useful to her if she kept him on a string thinking maybe one day he'd get there.

[spoiler]I've always thought her teasing and sexually frustrating the bitchy, tightly-wound PT Roger is likely the underlying reason why he killed her.[/spoiler]

As to the last question, I guess Angelique was really young when she had Daniel.  Of course, this was probably just sloppiness on the writer's part.  But suppose that Daniel was only twelve at the time of the events we see in PT1970.  He might only have been eleven when his mother died.  So maybe she did get married right out of high school.  That was more common back in the '60's than it is now, wasn't it?

That said, I have to add that I don't like PT Angelique as much her RT counterpart.  She isn't nearly as fascinating as she thinks she is, and is less of a three-dimensional character than RT Angie.  I  also wish we'd gotten to know more about Alexis before her sister did away with her.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 08:50:22 PM »

As you yourself have pointed out, this whole story line would seem to be a rip-off of Rebecca. That in mind, I would assume the situation between Angelique and Quentin to be the same as Rebecca and (oh shoot -what was his name? Maxim?) - however they began their marriage, it became an unhappy one, and as Angelique became involved in countless affairs, Quentin grew to hate her. I think Angelique stayed in the marriage just to remain Queen of Collinwood, and Quentin stayed in the marriage for the same reason all Collins men do - in any timeline - family pride.

It would seem that Angelique's plan is to destroy all the family members except for Daniel. Since she believes Quentin to be her murderer, she probably has no desire to win him back. It was necessary to bring Maggie back and kill her off so Maggie wouldn't inherit anything once Quentin died.