Author Topic: !!**Database Error**!!  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
!!**Database Error**!!
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:43:27 AM »
Apparently something odd happened somewhere along the way earlier tonight because, as anyone who tried to access the forum during that time knows, there was an error with the forum's messages table (probably our most important table because it's where all the posts are stored). I tried using our host's PHPMyAdmin's "Repair" feature to fix the table as soon as I found out there was a problem soon after 9pm ET, but the database wasn't having any of it. And after I tried two more times without any luck (all three times PHPMyAdmin gave me an error that the MySQL server "has gone away," which is actually an odd way of telling me the repair process had timed out) I was really beginning to get worried. If the table couldn't be repaired, that would mean a backup would have to be used to replace it - but the last backup I'd done was several days ago, so we would have lost all the posts between the time of the backup and whatever happened happened. Plus, because the messages table is HUGE, it would have taken me hours to recreate it from the backup. But thankfully the fourth time was the charm and that attempted repair went through.  [whew]

Everything looks fine. But along the way if anyone notices that any posts seem to be missing or anything about any posts seems off, please post about it here in this topic and I'll look into it.  [wink2]

Now I'm off to make a new backup just so everything will be as up to date as possible should something else unforeseen happen...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: !!**Database Error**!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:08:26 AM »
Phew!  I'm imagining the sweat pouring off of you as you made that fourth attempt, MB.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 03:04:30 AM »
Well, at least with this latest time I know why it happened - I was doing routine maintenance by optimizing the messages table when it timed out without finishing, and that's why the messages table crashed. Though honestly, a simple optimization should not be causing the table to crash, so obviously something is going on with the MySQL server. Hopefully our host will fix it sooner rather than later. But until then I'll be staying away from optimizing.  [easter_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 03:28:22 AM »
Much appreciated, MB!! [clap2] [clap2] [clap2]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 03:53:43 AM »
Fantastic work!  Thanks, MB!  I was getting a little worried that the Devil Bunny had something to do with it.   [easter_evil]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 04:43:08 AM »
Good luck!  I got a weird error message about an hour ago when I tried to access the Boards.  I'm guessing it must have had something to do with this epiphenomenon.

I have said it before, MB, but I really appreciate all the time and effort you and Midnite put into keeping this space going.

Best, G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 05:54:13 AM »
More appreciation for all the stress, work, and attention, MB.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 01:48:09 PM »
I was a little concerned when I couldn't get on here yesterday- I'm glad everything is okay now.  Thanks for all your hard work, MB!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »
Though honestly, a simple optimization should not be causing the table to crash, so obviously something is going on with the MySQL server.
Really, MB, I shouldn't have to explain this to you.  This is the Dark Shadows Forums.  Cures are bad, curses are good.  Optimization is bad, pessimization is good.  What were you thinking?

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:34:02 PM »
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

I was trying to post; it was very slow. I went to another window & saw the DS Forum board on top with the above mention.

THANKS TO MIDNITE, I KNEW HOW TO COPY & PASTE THIS MESSAGE :)

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:16:57 PM »
I was not familiar with that error at all, Patti, so I had to do some research. At the time you received it, were you using Google Chrome as your browser? It seems as if it's a Google Chrome issue, and if you do a Web search for "net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" all sorts of Web sites with fixes will come up. Though I'm hesitant to recommend any of them because I don't use Google Chrome, and, as I said, I've never gotten the error. But if you've only seen the error that once, maybe it might be best to just ignore it unless it becomes a problem.  [easter_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 01:49:26 AM »
I'm not sure how long the messages table in the database had been crashed. And wouldn't you know that I was out and just came home to find it crashed. But I guess the forum couldn't have been down for much more than an hour because I see that someone had posted back at 7:27pm ET.

But anyway, I repaired the table and everything is back to normal - or as normal as things get around here.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 01:57:37 AM »
I just checked the forum's error log, and apparently the first error due to the crash was at 8:12:18pm ET, so things couldn't have been down for even 30 minutes, so I'm glad I got home when I did. But then I only went out to do a few errands, unlike a few Fridays lately when I've been going out with friends. If that had been the case this week, who knows when I would have been coming home, but the forum would have likely been down for hours.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
unlike a few Fridays lately when I've been going out with friends. If that had been the case this week, who knows when I would have been coming home, but the forum would have likely been down for hours.

oh hoo! Imagine our MB 'out on the town'....

Thanks MB, and from your original reply to me, yes, using Chrome (I realllllllly thought YOU were the one who recommended it to me) and, as you guessed, never had additional issues.

.....outonthetown.....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 09:06:20 PM »
Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.dsboards.com

Try reloading: www.­dsboards.­com

Again, this message; using Chrome (as I always do).
This time, I had to open another tab...the same 'oops' message is still on another tab I can see right now.

Patti
What a Woman!