Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0441  (Read 1208 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0441
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »
Robservations #441

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0441

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
When did Millicent learn the tarot? And of course now I am wondering where Countess is? And Daniel? And Joshua? I think everyone else is dead, right? Oh, yeah, Millicent’s maid, where is Millicent’s maid? Yeah, I know, Joshua is at work - I guess someone has got to earn a living.

Trask is brought to his knees by Barnabas in the form of a dead Maude in his bed. He inlists Forbes to help him get rid of the body but not before we are treated to some comical lines from Forbes who has dropped by for a favor – how contrived, I mean, convenient.

Trask delivers Forbes letter to Millicent and it is torn up by an indignant Naomi who challenges Trask at every turn – much to my and I would imagine everyone else’s delight. Naomi should have tripped Trask as he entered Collinwood uninvited. Millicent ends up reading the torn letter once Naomi leaves the foyer. Poor Millicent.

Trask’s Dream – Can something be boring and interesting at the same time. I didn’t enjoy watching it – not that it wasn’t well done or anything of that nature – but thinking about it is much more interesting than watching it – for me. I wonder if Barn is behind any part of this dream. Is it totally coincidental that Abigail's warning coincides with Barn’s need to get Trask to the Old House – either scenario seems totally plausible to me. The same, to a lesser extent with the ghost of Maude – Barn induced or guilt induced or angry ghost induced. All three work, correct?

I liked the dream set – the torches, the low hanging chandelier, the door, the flowing plastic strip curtain (corny in a way but I still liked the effect). I’m on the fence about having Abigail there in the spirit – at first I thought is was dumb but, why not? The same with Maude, but again, why not? I didn’t realize Nathan had thrown Maude in the water ala Ruby Tate, I must have missed that being stated. It makes sense though.

I should have something to say about Trask’s handling of his situation and what it says about him as a man/human being but I am not up to it. I just wonder what he would have done if Forbes had not shown up? I wonder how he would have proceded?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:16:25 PM »
Good mood scene with Millicent and the cards.  Sometimes they seem intent on showing us exactly what each card means, as if it's an instructional video.   Welcome back, Maude!!   I didn't remember seeing her ghost before, but fortunately, this is one of my least-viewed stretches of DS.   I'm hoping for more surprises.

Barnabas's life would be SO much easier if he just threw that damn ring off Widow's Hill.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »
This supernaturally busy episodes (two ghosts and a disembodied hand!) does have a comic moment when Nathan comes to visit Trask. After hastily covering Maude with a sheet, Trask opens the door. He tries to keep Nathan from coming into the room, but Nathan gets a glimpse of Maude's hand sticking out from under the sheet. Nathan finds the whole business incredibly funny and apologizes: I would never have intruded if I'd known you had a guest, he says, adding, You’re a man after my own heart! She was there when I arrived, Trask replies with massive understatement. To Trask's consternation, this actually raises him several notches in Nathan's eyes. With a grin, Nathan marvels, I’ve never found them waiting for me when I come home! I would never have anything to do with such a woman, Trask huffs, adding flatly, And she's dead.

I love Naomi (1) in that gown; and (2) in protective mother lioness mode when she defends Millicent against Trask.

Trask actually owns one garment that isn't black--his brown dressing gown. The whole dream sequence is pretty scary.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »
She was there when I arrived, Trask replies with massive understatement. To Trask's consternation, this actually raises him several notches in Nathan's eyes. With a grin, Nathan marvels, I’ve never found them waiting for me when I come home! I would never have anything to do with such a woman, Trask huffs, adding flatly, And she's dead.

Yes, that was funny.   It might have fired Nathan's horny imagination... perhaps there's a new promotional campaign on the part of the local prostitutes, involving a benign sort of breaking and entering.... an appealing idea, come to think.

I think Trask actually said he would never be involved with a woman (period).... this could mean any number of things, but again, I wonder if this was expected of a minister.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:57:11 PM »
"A woman" vs. "such a woman"--I'm afraid I don't have the episode available to watch, so you might be right. On the other hand, as I mentioned on another thread, wouldn't he have felt obliged to fulfill the biblical order to "be fruitful and multiply"? [spoiler]Remember, we do know that he had a son (1840) and a grandson (1897).[/spoiler]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
Dead Maude makes me think about the only Maudes I ever knew were old,mostly grey haired or at least were under their wigs. None were prostitutes. If I had any sympathy for Trask, I would say he has bad luck to dream of Maude and Abigail when there are a town of more beautiful women or men he could dream about. The hand beacons and the tarot cards predict that this will appear in future storylines in reworked fashion of course.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times