Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0439  (Read 1734 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0439
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
Robservations #439

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0439

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »
I loved the 'written' scene between Barn & Ben in the Old House basement. It was superb. I might even put it on a 'best' list. I can't crow over Frid's performance, it wasn't flawed, it was quite good, but just a bit 'theatrical' for my taste - so that's on me, not Frid. I was really taken by the conversation of Ben refusing to do Barn's bidding and how much he was willing to sacrifice - his life, right there and then. Barn, threatening him but admitting he could never hurt him, etc. There was a whole lotta good stuff in this scene. I came away from it thinking that Ben felt 'used' and perhaps a bit betrayed by Barnabas - he says Barn used to make his life easier, now he is jeopardizing it. And the point toward the close of the scene when Barn turns his back to Ben, you can see in his eyes that he is hoping Ben takes what he says to heart - that they are stuck with each other, at least as long as Ben lives - it looks as though Barn isn't sure what Ben will do - a hopeful look - of worry rather than relief. I loved it. I also loved the point in the conversation when Ben says that Barn thinks he can get away with anything - How Ben's seen enough killing to turn his stomach - That killing Trask would only be harmful to Vicki. Just about every subject matter in this scene was fascinating on several levels. But my favorite part - that got to me on an emotional level - was the realization of the changed personal dynamic between them. It was kind of sad.

I didn't particularly care for any other part of this episode, not really. Not in comparison to the first act, anyway. I will say though that this episode contains Joel Crothers' best performance as Nathan Forbes so far in the story-line. He was flawless - and I was shocked and awed.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
I'd have a hard time choosing my favorite Barnabas-Ben scene, but this one is right at the top!

You’ll go on with me then, says Barnabas. There’s nothing either one of us can do. Ben leaves, knowing his life will be spared but also knowing he must obey.

Barnabas orders Ben to get a brass ring, but an iron one would have been more practical.

Welcome (I guess), Craig Slocum. Vala Clifton (Maude) does the opening voiceover because she is the only female in this episode. Tarty fashion note: Maude wears a rather trashy Incroyable-style gown in pink and white striped damask, with a pink underdress, along with the inevitable 1960s banana curls.

And yes, JC was terrific as Nathan in this episode!

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:06:50 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 02:45:54 AM »
I didn't realize VOs had always been done by women.  Later of course, the men do it too.

Ben, voice of reason, says Vicki will be blamed if Barnabas offs Trask.   "Not if we're clever, Ben."  Which he's not being.  If you're clever, don't do it.  Nice how Barnabas includes Ben in the act with that "we".

Why didn't Ben just leave after the exchange?  Why did Barnabas announce that he wouldn't?   It seemed they ended the scene by putting a quick, unexplained band-aid over it... You were about to leave Ben, but now we're stuck with each other because I say so, and it moves us on to the next scene.

Welcome, Maudie, and unwelcome, Noah Gifford.  He seems like a John Hall sort of actor.   Maude with Barnabas: "I'll take my chances with you."   His eyes light up.  After a pause: "You will?"  (Thinking:  Goodie!   She's giving me permission!  This might even stand up in court!)

Nathan is about to cause a LOT of trouble.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »
Why didn't Ben leave? For one thing, he knows that Barnabas would hunt him down without mercy. For another, as Barn suspects, under Ben's revulsion at Barn's actions is a deep sorrow and even pity for the man who, after all, taught him to read and write. Ben knows that Barn doesn't want to do the things he does.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »
"It's never going to end Ben for me?"  A nice tortured sympathetic line from Barnabas. Noah(ugh). Another dock girl for Barnabas. Nathan saves her and finds the cane.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »
"It's never going to end Ben for me?"  A nice tortured sympathetic line from Barnabas.
Yeah, that really caught me ear too.

Noah(ugh).
His hat was comedic to me. Like something a swabbie might wear in a Three Stooges short.

Another dock girl for Barnabas.
Okay, I'll say it - Ugh
Nathan...finds the cane.
It doesn't get more contrived than that, oh, wait, that's not true...<eyeroll>

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 02:07:17 AM »
Why didn't Ben leave? For one thing, he knows that Barnabas would hunt him down without mercy.

My point was that I think Barnabas just proved that he would not kill Ben.   I don't think it would be much easier for him to hunt him down than to kill him where he stood.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
I didn't realize VOs had always been done by women.  Later of course, the men do it too.

The first male cast member to do a voiceover is Thayer David. And that will be coming up within this storyline, so watch for it.  [easter_wink]