Author Topic: Just Make him Luv YOU!?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Just Make him Luv YOU!?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2002, 11:06:00 PM »

.Julia and Barnabas both undergo dramatic personality reformations by the end of the show.. . and in the 'entire context' of the show, Julia was good and Angie wasn't.  Even though they both did good and bad things at times.

Angelique reforms ....look at the 1840 storyline. I know Julia you won't give the witch a break! Only julia receives absolution from you-

First of all, I would like to make clear that this post is not intended as an attack, and I don't mean to offend anybody, particularly Angelique's fans.

One of the things that troubles me most about Angelique (apart from her cruelty and the fact that she was doing all of these horrible things in the first place) is that she doesn't show any remorse.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember a time when Angelique ever said to Barnabas, "Oh, Barnabas, I love you so--and by the way, I'm really sorry about destroying your family, stalking you through the centuries, and especially turning you into a vampire. "  Even Barnabas and Julia were sorry for their crimes afterward; Angelique only seemed to repent when her spells backfired on her.  Yes, I agree that she did mature throughout the series. I was particularly impressed by her behavior during the 1897 and Leviathan storylines.  However, following a certain unpleasant discovery about the current man in her life, Angelique did suffer a little setback, and although I can understand why this would happen, I also feel that it reinforces something else that I believe about Angelique.  I consider her to be very self-serving.  As I see it, what she does is done solely to benefit her.  Her actions are carried out with the intent of getting Barnabas to like her, not because she necessarily believes in what she's doing.  She'll perform good works for a while if it suits her purposes, but then she'll turn bad again to get what she wants.  She's too mercurial for me to trust her.  I do think that she loves Barnabas in her own way, but I can't comfortably accept her sincerety in other matters (e.g. 1840.)

Julia's not exactly one of my favorite characters either (sorry, J99), but I do consider her to be more selfless than Angelique.  While Angie torments to achieve her own goals, Julia's guiding purpose is to help Barnabas.  She knew that it was wrong to kill Dr. Woodard and didn't want to take part in the affair, but she went through with it anyway for Barnabas's sake.  I'm not saying at all that this should excuse her for what she did, but the motives do reflect on the characters.  

In sociology class, we recently saw a video about morality, specifically about the stages of morality, and according to my understanding of the definitions of the various levels, here is where I would place each character.  I would classify Angelique in the 2nd stage of morality, which consists of a "whatever works for me must be right" philosophy.  As I perceive her reasoning, it's all right for Angelique to hurt people and ruin their lives as long as she can gain from it.  Julia, on the other hand, tends to make her decisions with Barnabas's welfare in mind.  This most resembles 3rd stage morality (concern with disappointing others/authority.)

Again, this is all in my most humble opinion and I don't mean to offend anybody in any way.  If my views have disturbed, I apologize.

Respectfully,

ProfStokes

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2002, 02:40:44 AM »
Is it my imagination, perhaps an aberation, that you are on a crusade against the character Angelique (or the actress that plays the part) for some reason? I can't say a word in reference with out you jumping all over me.

To whom is this addressed VAM?   ?!?

I like Angelique's presence as a whole and it was a MAJOR part of the storyline/entire show. . **but** certain elements just don't make sense. . the ending of 1840 just didn't make sense for reasons clearly articulated by Robin and Luciaphil . . it was tacked on last minute and dissatisfied many fans. . .obviously, we're still arguing about it 30 years later! [pain]sheesh!  

Also, obviously I am an unapologetic Julia (Grayson Hall) fan but I'm not blind to her eccentricities or shortcomings. . .Julia99 [rollb]  [rollb]

ps. glad so many folks responded to my little ole post. .
Julia99

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2002, 02:45:43 AM »
didn't it seem that it started for her when Barnabas
choose Josette and dumped her i think if barnabas had come back for her and never wanted josette and she returned to Maine with him as his bride angelique
would have been bored with him in 6 months and would have made a play for his uncle or some other man.just her nature!!
jennifer
also Julia 99 love you picture of Julia very cool!!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2002, 02:49:06 AM »
Sorry Julia99, this was not intended for you.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2002, 03:19:35 AM »
Is it my imagination, perhaps an aberation, that you are on a crusade against the character Angelique (or the actress that plays the part) for some reason? I can't say a word in reference with out you jumping all over me.

Not sure if you are referring to me or not.  If you are, I'm sorry you misinterpreted my remarks.  I assure you, I am not on a personal crusade against Ms Parker or Angelique.

I have never met and am not likely to ever meet Ms Parker.  There's nothing directed against her in my posting.  I don't particularly admire her acting (although, I very much enjoyed her Cassandra) or her writing, but since I am entitled to my personal opinion and since I'm not trying to change your's or anyone else's, I don't see why it should bother you.

As for Angelique.  Angelique is a fictional character.  I don't like the character much--something that should come as no surprise as I have been hanging around Fran's boards for over two years now and have never been shy about expressing my opinions 8)--but the key word here is "fictional".  I like to debate merits of characters and plots, but I fail to understand why it is an affront to you if my opinions don't match with yours.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2002, 03:38:31 AM »
Let's let it go and move on-OK? Life is too short...It was a misunderstanding on my part.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2002, 05:55:12 AM »
ProfStokes -- please allow me to point out to everyone what an articulate and intelligent young woman you are.  I have always enjoyed your posts, but this one stands out for me particularly.  Your arguments are sound and well thought out.  Kudos.  

Nicky (and it was a pleasure meeting you at the Fest last summer)
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2002, 09:14:57 AM »
Why, thank you, Nicky!  It was wonderful to meet you in person too, and I hope to see you at the next Fest in June.

ProfStokes