Author Topic: #1006/1007: Robservations 07/02/03: Gladstone's Blackmail: PT From the Other Side  (Read 1356 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1006 - (Black and white kinescope) - Dameon's skeleton looks very scary in black and white, doesn't it?

Dameon, says Angelique, I gave you every opportunity to go away and leave me alone, but you refused--I did what had to be done. You mean you got Bruno and Trask to do it for you? he accuses (I definitely get the idea there was dialogue before this, but they cut it out).  Bruno loved me the way I wanted to be loved, she says. No man loved you like I did! says Dameon. She holds up her hand and orders, stay where you are, don't come any closer--keep looking into my eyes. I know you want your death revenge, I cannot blame you for that, but I cannot allow it--I have laid many plans here, and I won't have them upset by you or anyone else. And I won't rest until Quentin knows the truth about you, promises Dameon.  You will rest, Angelique assures him--I summoned you here and I can send you away again--you had to appear because I used the candle of the seven secrets, they can bring you here because they have control over life, and they can send you away again because they control death--they can send you back to your grave forever. He assures her, the candles have no power over me. Try to move, she suggests, to lift your hand and snuff out the candles. I can't move! cries Dameon.  I have a hold over you in death, too, she says--you see, and when the seventh candle appears, you appeared, when the seventh is snuffed out, you will return to your tomb and never appear again. NO! shouts Dameon, you can't do it!  Poor Dameon, croons Ang, putting out the candles, just as handsome and charming in death as you were in life--and every bit as meddlesome!--but not for much longer--goodbye, Dameon.
She snuffs out the final candle as Dameon begs for his--er--existence. He cries out and disappears, leaving only the skeleton hanging there. Angelique bursts into evil laughter, "Now nothing stands in my way, the house will be mine again, Dameon--Quentin will be mine again, and nothing can stop me--nothing!"

Eagle - Yaeger, having a drink, interrupts Buffie in her duties as she cleans a table. You're not being very friendly, he accuses.  I have work to do and you know that, she retorts. Are you trying to avoid me? he asks--I've never seen you so dedicated to your work. I have to make a living, she reminds him, swabbing down a table, do you mind? As long as you leave me just a little time, he says, or maybe I'll just stand here and watch you. You must have something better to do, she chides. You're so touchy today, he says, I hope you aren't going around saying nasty things about me like you did to Dr. Longworth. He leans across the bar, moving in close. Please leave me alone and let me work, she says, annoyed. I touched a nerve, haven't I? he asks, grabbing her arm--"You are soft on the good doctor, aren't you?" You're the most evil minded man I ever met, she says.  He pulls her closer and says, "And I'll wager you've met a few, haven't I?" He releases her with a laugh. A man looking for Yaeger enters the bar carrying a briefcase.. At your service, says the latter. My name is Larry Chase; announces the man--I'm Chris' partner and Dr. Longworth's lawyer. You're also 15 minutes late, says Yaeger. I'm a busy man, says Chase. And you consider it beneath your dignity to deal with me? asks Yaeger.  I want to get this over with ASAP, says Chase--can we use one of the tables? By all means, says Yaeger.  He puts an arm around him and says to Buffie, buy Mr. Chase a drink and put it on my tab. I don't drink when I'm discussing business, says Chase, but thanks anyhow. The men sit down.  We don't really have to sit, says Yaeger, since all you need is my signature. I want more than your signature, says Larry--I want you to tell me why Chris (Cyrus?) is putting this much money in your name. I thought the good doctor explained all that, says Yaeger. He explained to me it was part payment for services rendered on some of his experiments, says Larry, but I don't believe that. I guess you think I have some hold over Cyrus, says Yaeger, that I'm trying to blackmail him, all of which I find highly amusing. But you don't deny it, says Chase. I most emphatically deny it, says Yaeger--how could anyone blackmail the good Dr. Longworth?--the man is a vegetable--he neither smokes not drinks, he doesn't know the meaning of adventure--in short, the man is a cloistered bore and how could anyone possibly blackmail such a man?  "You're not only arrogant and disgusting, Mr. Yaeger," says Larry, "you're a model of ingratitude--Dr. Longworth is being more than generous with you." I merely say the truth as I see it, says Yaeger. I'm going over to see Cyrus tonight, says Larry, and I'm sure he'll be interested to know the low opinion Yaeger holds him in. I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed, says Yaeger, because Cyrus and I have always been very frank with each other, which is why he values my services so highly. I don't believe that, says Chase, I'll see him tonight. I don't think you'll find him in the laboratory tonight, says Yaeger. I'll just wait until he comes, and when he does, I'll be able to convince him he no  longer has any need for you, says Chase. By all means try, suggests Yaeger, but I don't think you'll succeed. Let me assure you how confident I am, says Larry, who rips up the document Yaeger was supposed to sign--after I speak to Cyrus, there will be no more need of this, he adds. Yaeger says, "I don't like you, Mr. Chase, and I like your holier than thou attitude even less--and anyone that steps in John Yaeger's way better get out!"
Are you threatening me? demands Larry. There will be trouble, warns Yaeger, if you ever get in my way again. Yaeger pushes in his chair and calls rudely to Buffie. Giving her chuck on the chin, he tells (orders), I'll see you later this evening. Gladstone enters the bar.  Yaeger asks, did you see the good doctor tonight?  He isn't back from the lab yet, says Gladstone. Really? asks Yaeger, as the good doctor might say, try, try again, eh, Gladstone?--and gives Horace a light punch in the arm, full of hearty good spirits. Yaeger leaves the bar.  Gladstone sits at a table.  Larry Chase approaches the bar and tells Buffie, I'll have that drink now--scotch on the rocks--are you interested in Yaeger? in a voice that says he sure hopes not. He just comes in here a lot, that's all, she says airily. What do you know about him? asks Larry.  Nothing, she says, I really don't know him that well at all. Gladstone begins to eavesdrop on their conversation. Yaeger certainly knows how to intimidate a person, says Larry. What do you mean? she asks. What do you know about him? asks the lawyer--or don't you want to discuss it because you're too afraid?  Buffie curtly replies, it's late and she's about to go off-duty, so I can't talk anymore. He finishes his drink, says fine, and pays her, then bids her good night and goes. Gladstone picks up the torn pieces of what Larry tore up and stuffs them into his coat. He smiles at Buffie.

Lab - Yaeger returns. He opens the safe and takes out the antidote. I don't relish being Cyrus again, he says to himself, but that lawyer must be brought into line, and soon! He reluctantly drinks the antidote and feels the pain of transformation. Cyrus again, he seems exhausted by the ordeal.  He reaches into the desk to put on Cyrus' glasses (but is he going to change the suit)?

Now Cyrus from head to toe, the doctor answers a knock at the upstairs door. It's Buffie; he eagerly invites her in. I didn't expect a visit from you at this hour, he says. You'd probably be happier if you never saw me again, she says. I don't get it, says Cyrus. Aren't we the innocent one? she asks, butter wouldn't melt in our mouth. Cyrus is puzzled still. You do understand, says Buffie--why did you go to Yaeger and tell him all those awful things about me? What things? he asks. That I came here and made advances toward you, she says--you knew that would make him mad, why did you do it? I didn't says you came and made advances, he says, didn't use that phrase at all. Why did you have to tell him anything? asks Buffie huffily, why did you even have to tell him I came to see you?  When you were here that day, he explains, after you left--Yaeger saw you and came back and questioned me. Why didn't you tell him the truth? she asks, that I just came back to find out if you'd signed the check? I did tell him the truth, says Cyrus, but Mr. Yaeger is a very suspicious person. You don't have to tell me, she says. Cyrus apologizes--would you like me to talk to Mr. Yaeger?  No, she says, that's the one thing I don't want you to do--one wrong word out of you and he's likely to beat me up again.
Beat you up--is that what he did? asks a surprised Cyrus. Yes, she says, and I've got plenty of bruises to prove it, too!  I feel terrible, says Cyrus--I didn't know he'd get that angry. It doesn't take much for him, says Buffie sourly. You have every right to be upset with me, he says--I'll do anything to make it up to you, anything at all. Buffie checks her makeup in the magnifying mirror--you're a strange one, she remarks--will I ever really get to know you?  I hope so, he says. So do I, agrees Buffie. There's a knock at the door.  I'm expecting a friend, my lawyer, says Cyrus--we had an appointment and I hate to rush you out, but we have urgent business. I understand, she says--I'll see you soon.  Buffie leaves via the basement door exit.  Unbeknownst to her, Gladstone watches her go. In the lab, Larry Chase strongly advises Cyrus, end your friendship with Yaeger--he's dangerous--I met him tonight as Chris told me to, but after meeting him, I must tell you I'm even more appalled at what he's doing. Did you get the signature for the bank account? asks Cyrus. Yes, says Chase, but I tore it up after getting it--I can't believe you won't listen to reason about him. Cyrus,  shocked, says, I'm not in the mood to argue about this. Explain, be more specific, insists Larry, as to why you need Yaeger--surely someone can replace him, perform whatever services he's doing for you.  I can only tell you, says Cyrus, that I'm not going to change my mind about this--I want that bank account opened in his name--and one more thing--I want you to change my will--in the event of my death or disappearance, everything that belongs to me shall go to John Yaeger.  (What about poor Sabrina?)

Why? demands Larry, do you want to bequeath everything you own to such a foul and evil man you barely know? Cyrus goes on--in the event of my death or disappearance...  Are you anticipating either of those events? queries Larry.  No, of course not, says Cyrus. Then why take such an action at this time? asks the lawyer.  I have my reasons, says Cyrus, and as my lawyer, you are obliged to do as I wish--not to disobey or question my motives. I'm not just your attorney, but your friend, says Larry, and I'm becoming increasingly concerned about you. Don't, advises Cyrus, you are to take care of changing that bank account to his name, and altering my will, and I insist you do it ASAP! Chase reluctantly agrees to get busy on both matters tomorrow, and, shaking his head, he leaves.

Buffie sits at her dressing table, preening as she looks at herself in the mirror. Gladstone knocks at her door--do you remember me? he asks--I was just in your tavern earlier. I do remember you, she says--what do you want?  To talk to you a few moments, he says, ask a question or two-- I'm quite harmless. She invites him in and asks, what kind of questions do you have--you aren't a cop or anything, are you?  Good heavens, no, he says--just a very curious man--about Dr. Longworth--he is your friend, right?  Sort of, she says. What do you mean, sort of? he asks--is he, shall we say, an admirer of yours? She looks uncomfortable--I get it, she says--you were sent to ask me these questions, weren't you?  Sent? asks Gladstone, by whom? John Yaeger--I saw you talking to him at the Eagle, she says--he sent you here to spy on me--well, you can tell him for me that... Seeing that she's growing angry, Gladstone hastily assures her, you are a much closer friend of Yaeger's, judging by what transpired at your tavern. That's none of your business, says Buffie, I don't know why you're asking all these questions, but I think you had better go. He tries to placate her, asking her, don't get upset--if you wish, we can talk this over at... Then he spots the painting Yaeger gave her.
Where did you get it? he asks--it's extraordinary. A gentleman friend gave it to her, she says. Dr. Longworth? queries Gladstone. Don't be ridiculous, says Buffie, I don't know Dr. Longworth that well--since you're being so nosy, I don't mind telling you that Mr. Yaeger gave it to me. Gladstone is stunned--John Yaeger!? What about it? she asks. Nothing, he says, calming himself down--nothing, everything is all right--would you please excuse me?  He leaves. Buffie, perplexed, looks at the painting herself.

Cyrus looks into a microscope, then makes some notations in a notebook.  He answers a knock at the back door--Gladstone, who wishes to speak to him on a very urgent matter. Cyrus reluctantly admits him, then closes and locks the door. You're burning the midnight oil, as always, observes Gladstone. I prefer visitors to use the front entrance, says Cyrus--this is a private entrance, not to be used. I thought it more appropriate this time, says Gladstone. What do you mean? asks Cyrus.  Don't you know? asks Gladstone, about you, and me and our little secret?--come, come, Longworth, it's inconceivable that I wouldn't find out sooner or later--you helped me in your own way to solve the mystery--you led me to the truth!  What truth? asks Cyrus. "Cyrus Longworth is John Yaeger and John Yaeger is Cyrus Longworth!" says Gladstone triumphantly. Cyrus gazes at him, eyes bulging.

NOTES: Oh, no, the wily, oily, totally disgusting Gladstone knows Cyrus' secret! What will he do with it, blackmail the good doctor?  Force him to find the "good" in nasty old Horace? Or will John Yaeger appear in Cyrus' body and do away with the too-nosy, now -too-knowledgeable Gladstone? In any event, Cyrus has a huge problem. How can he disprove what Gladstone said?

Buffie was primping for her date with John Yaeger. One wonders how she would want to even see him after what transpired between them (whether rape and/or a beating)? She's drawn to the awful Yaeger, but seems to like Cyrus, too. Cyrus doesn't just want to gift Yaeger with a bank account, now he plans to leave him all his earthly possessions, too, in the event Cyrus "disappears" or "dies". Is that what Cyrus is planning--to allow Yaeger total control of his body? Seems to be totally going against his desire to bring out all that is good in man, when he intends to literally "kill" himself and his own personality and allow the bad guy to take over. What of poor Sabrina; she already was denied her engagement ring, will she lose the man she loves, too?

Don Briscoe was slated to be the lawyer involved in this episode, but since he had left the show, they created his partner, Larry Chase, to pursue the Cyrus/Yaeger matter. He's not bad, but it seems weird to have a new character introduced, especially since we will never see Chris Collins again. Perhaps Larry, too, will eventually end up a bullseye?

Bye, Dameon, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I am so grateful to Angelique and her candles for doing away with the most obnoxious, annoying ghost ever to grace DS.

1007 - Grayson does the intro--hooray; Hoffman's in the episode!

We see Angelique standing by her portrait; the resemblance between the woman and the painting is uncanny, scary. Once again, we are reminded that Barnabas is trapped in his coffin, unable to do anything about the events going on around him.

Cyrus and Gladstone stare at each other, and although the latter believes Cyrus will deny his accusation, Cyrus asks, "Why should I?" then adds, "...deny such a ridiculous accusation?" Gladstone reminds Cyrus, the compound I sold you is capable of restructuring the chromosomes (ah HA)! That isn't it's main use, says Cyrus.  Gladstone suggests, that's exactly what YOU are using it for, to give you a chance to be someone you aren't, be filled with lust for life, to experience pleasures you won't find in this lab--excitement, love, adventure. All of which I've found here, says Cyrus--your theory is interesting, but mad, Gladstone. The drug dealer doesn't believe that--where is John Yaeger tonight? he asks. I don't have the faintest idea, says Cyrus. I know very well, boasts Gladstone--I have what I consider to be proof. You do not, says Cyrus. The day after I first provided the compound, says Gladstone, you called me about eliminating   amnesia. Yes, I was performing an experiment, says Cyrus. Consulting a small notebook, Gladstone reads, "The night before, John Yaeger appeared in Collinsport for the first time"--I've checked the dates. Pure coincidence, insists Cyrus. I reworked the formula for you, says Gladstone, and the following Tuesday, Cyrus Longworth left on a mysterious trip and Yaeger miraculously appeared--I checked this with your fiancee. I will not have you questioning her! says Cyrus. Why? asks Gladstone--are you afraid she'll find out, too? There is nothing to find out, says Cyrus. My investigation was most thorough, says Gladstone--next, Yaeger appeared at the Eagle with a check signed Cyrus Longworth. I gave that money to Longworth (meaning Yaeger), a loan, says Cyrus. And then there's the matter of the painting that once hung on this wall and that now hangs in Miss Harrington's room. So you've been to see her, too, says Cyrus. Oh, you've trapped yourself now, Longworth, says Gladstone--why would Dr. Longworth care whether I saw her or not? Yaeger is not going to like your interfering, warns Cyrus, now sounding a lot more like his bombastic alter ego. I know, says Gladstone, when you see Yaeger, please let him know that I've taken proper precautions--I've written it all down! Shaking, adjusting his glasses, Cyrus says defensively, Yaeger has done nothing wrong.   (really? I guess beating/rape isn't wrong to Cyrus). Not as far as the law is concerned, retorts Gladstone, but surely the fact that you can turn yourself into someone else would be very upsetting to many--your fiancee, Miss Harrington, Quentin Collins, your friends at Collinwood... Seething, Cyrus doesn't answer.  You don't have to admit it if you don't want to, says Gladstone, and if you want to maintain the illusion that no one knows, I'm perfectly willing to go along with that. You want something, guesses Cyrus. Yes, says Gladstone, almost regretfully, I had SO much trouble with your compound; I'm woefully underpaid, it takes up more and more of my time--the delivery tonight, that compound isn't nearly ready, and if you want another on Friday...  HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT? demands Cyrus. "Ten thousand dollars!" shouts Gladstone, his voice going instantly from affable to angry. You're mad, says Cyrus, repeating the amount--why should I pay that? It's a small amount to pay for the existence of John Yaeger, says Gladstone, and that is what you are buying--without my compound, John Yaeger will never walk the streets again (Gladstone doesn't know about Yaeger's appearance without the compound)--you don't have to make up your mind right away, Friday will be plenty of time, but remember, I wouldn't try to silence me, if I were you, unless you want someone very close to you to read the whole story. He turns to leave.  Cyrus says, "This isn't your first attempt at blackmail, is it?"  "Why do you think my number was in Angelique Collins' phone book?" asks Gladstone.--"She's lived many lives--each person only gets one!--Good night." (This tells us volumes about Angelique--did she rely upon something Gladstone sold her to retain youth and beauty, even in death)? Gladstone leaves.  Cyrus looks as furious as Yaeger in his more insane moments.

Angelique and Quentin go down to the basement. Quentin remarks, I don't know how Hannah could have eliminated Dameon's ghost--she said he was too powerful for her. She found his grave, reveals Angelique. Why wasn't I told? demands Quentin. I thought you knew, she says--that you suggested Hannah exorcise the ghost. Are you sure he's gone? asks Quentin. Very sure, Ang assures him. I don't understand why Hannah didn't tell me herself, he says. She was exhausted, says Angelique, and I insisted she go home--why are you having so much trouble accepting this? Show me where she found him, says Quentin. Angelique opens the secret bookshelf.  I didn't know this was here, says Quentin--how did Hannah? She sensed it, that's all, says Angelique.  The skeleton is revealed. I want to call the police and tell them Dameon was murdered in this house, says Quentin. How will you explain knowing these are Dameon's bones? she asks, it's too incredible a story for the police to believe. But he was murdered, Quentin says. Angelique was murdered, she retorts--what are you doing about that? Quentin doesn't answer, but merely looks at her.

Hoffman looks out the drawing room window. Elizabeth says, when the car wasn't at the station, I assumed you were still away. I just got back, says Hoffman. I did wire ahead, says Liz, stunning in black. I haven't seen anyone but Trask, says Hoffman. Liz sits and complains, Quentin is most inconsiderate of me. Hoffman apologizes. It isn't your fault, says Liz--did you enjoy your vacation?  I find I miss this house, says Hoffman. Really? asks Liz, if I had the money Quentin has, I'd close this house and move to the city--  don't know how he stands it, it's so depressing--would you fix me a brandy, please. Of course, says Hoffman, looking far away, and she goes to prepare the drink.

Out in the foyer, Angelique, on the phone, assures Hannah, everything is fine, Quentin believed everything and wasn't at all suspicious--I know we took a chance, but we will have to take a lot of chances, she reminds her aunt, her face cold. Hoffman, says Liz, find Quentin, I wish to see him. Of course, says Hoffman and exits the drawing room. She hears Angelique telling Hannah not to worry--there's no one going to suspect the truth. She and Hoffman look at each other, meeting face to face for the first time since Angelique traded places with her sister.

What are you staring at, Hoffman? asks Angelique.   I'm sorry, "Miss Stokes" for doing so, says Hoffman. She starts to head upstairs, but Angelique bids Hannah goodbye and hangs up, then stops Hoffman and says, it's nice to see you again--I've missed you here in the house. Quentin joins them, remarking things at last are beginning to look normal around here--did you enjoy your rest? Yes, of course, says Hoffman--Mrs. Stoddard wishes to see you in the drawing room. So she's returned from traveling, he says, excusing himself. Hoffman continues upstairs.  It appears Angelique is following her.

Liz' opening to Quentin is, what happened?--you don't look well. I feel all right, he insists. Perhaps you aren't glad to see me back, she suggests. He bends down to kiss her cheek--of course I am, he says. The least you could have done was have the car at the station after my telegram, she says sternly. I'm sorry, he says, I simply forgot--did you enjoy New York? I saw Maggie there, she says. Quentin turns away. She rises from her chair, going after him--you must listen, she insists. I'm not interested in what she has to say about me, he says. She's not bitter, she's hurt, says Liz. I don't want to hear about it! says Quentin, avoiding her. Don't be a fool, she says. And don't you be a meddler, he retorts. Maggie wants you to come to New York, she says. And how does she expect me to get there? he asks--does she want me to come on my knees? If you love her, Quentin, go, advises Liz. Does Maggie have a list of demands I'm to give in to? he asks.  She wants nothing but the assurance of your love, Liz responds. Isn't she interested enough to find out? he asks nastily. Quentin, says Liz... She left me, he reminds her. You forced her to, says Liz. How? he asks--by not forcing Alexis to leave this house?  She thought Alexis was Angelique, Liz reminds him, you know that. A hysterical idea that had no basis in reality, argues Quentin--does she know that Alexis is still here?.
Angelique listens in, a smile on her face. She assumed that, says Liz, knowing how stubborn you are.. Stubbornness has nothing to do with it, insists Quentin. Yes it does, says Liz--it's making both of you desperately unhappy. You let me decide about my state of happiness, says Quentin testily, I don't need you to decide for me--I don't expect you to understand me and Maggie. Because you don't understand yourself, says Liz pointedly. Quentin turns and says I understand one thing--I don't want a child for a wife,  and only a child runs away and sulks--if you are in touch with her, you should tell her that. He leaves the room. Upstairs, Angelique watches him from the landing, fiddling with her hair.

Quentin and Cyrus examine Dameon's hanging skeleton.  While it's hard for me to be scientifically minded today, says Cyrus, in my opinion, this man didn't die from the bullet wound--the bullet is lodged here, in the ribs--the man probably died from loss of blood.  Should I call the police? Asks Quentin.  I can't make that decision for you, says Cyrus. What if I do? wonders Quentin, what will happen?--he was Angelique's friend, everyone knew that--I'm not afraid of what the police will ask me, I didn't kill him--it's my guess Bruno did, but if I say something, it will simply stir up more talk about Angelique. Yes, it will do that, agrees Cyrus. Then Daniel and I would have to live all over what happened last year, and I don't want that, says Quentin--and what would happen?--Edwards would still be dead. And Bruno? asks Cyrus. I'll find out, says Quentin--then I'll take care of Bruno myself--will you help me bury the remains? Cyrus nods.  Whether I'm right or wrong, says Quentin, I'm simply tired of hearing about all this. (that makes two of us!)

Hoffman gazes up at Angelique's painting and says, I thought, when I walked into the house, that "You would be here--I felt it so strongly when I was in Boston, I left. I have returned, that's what I thought, but you've not--but I wasn't just wishing it, I FELT it, I really did!  Perhaps I'm back to make things ready for you--as I always did when you were away.
--that is what I must believe." Behind her, Angelique, who has entered the room and overheard her last few statements--is stunned.

Hoffman turns, sees Angelique and apologizes--I simply wanted to be sure the maid had turned down your bed. You miss her very much, don't you, states Angelique. We all do, says Hoffman. But you were close to her, says Angelique. I was her friend, says Hoffman. I need a friend in this house, says Angelique, very much--I need someone to help me find my sister's murderer. Murderer? asks Hoffman, clearly shocked. Yes, didn't you know? asks Ang. No one would have killed her, insists Hoffman.  Someone did, says Ang. Why do you think that? asks Hoffman. If I tell you, would you help me? asks pseudo-Alexis. Of course, replies Hoffman.  After you left, says Angelique, there was a seance, exactly like the one in which Angelique died--Roger was there...

After burying Dameon's (good riddance) bones, Quentin and Cyrus return to Collinwood for a drink. The deed has been done, says Cyrus.  Another thing to feel guilty about, gripes Quentin, pouring booze.  Quentin! chides Cyrus.  I'm getting good at accumulating guilts, says Quentin--first Maggie, then Sabrina at the seance saying that Angelique was murdered, now Alexis keeps accusing me because I'm not doing anything about it. What can you do? asks Cyrus. Quentin drinks and asks, "What can I do about anything?--Cyrus, sometimes I think I'm losing my mind." Cyrus assures him that's ridiculous.  I'm serious, says Quentin--I keep feeling that someone is reaching out for me, and I don't know why--have you ever heard of a man named Barnabas Collins?  Cyrus recalls that Will wrote a book about him. Now he's re-writing the book, explains Quentin--why?--and why did Amy, when she saw Barnabas' portrait, go into a sudden trance?--what happened when I looked into Angelique's room, it was completely bare, nothing, no furniture--and why couldn't I enter the room, what force was keeping me out? What are you talking about? asks Cyrus. I wish I knew, says Quentin--but I couldn't get into the room--Daniel and Amy were there, dressed in clothes I'd never seen before, talking about Barnabas Collins--it all doesn't make sense. Go away from this house for a while, advises Cyrus. You don't believe I saw it, do you? asks Quentin. In your mind, yes, says Cyrus--what is keeping you here--Roger, Liz, Hoffman are back, go for a rest, man! Perhaps I should, says Quentin, but I can't make any decisions without talking to Hoffman and Alexis. Talk to them tonight, says Cyrus, I know it's hard, but you must do it, you must!

Quentin returns to the East Wing door and throws it open. Inside, Liz tells Julia, I didn't believe Roger when he told me about this parallel time. You must, says Julia. I don't even like being in this room, says Liz--who doesn't hear Quentin calling her from the door--when I think of how Barnabas just disappeared, we should close it completely. No, says Julia, this room is his only chance of coming back to us.  Julia, says Liz, let's go--it's not doing either of us any good standing here. I feel closer to him here, says Julia, a weird little smile on her face..
Please, begs Liz. You go, I'll come down soon, says Julia. Liz protests--I hate to leave you alone. Quentin tries to feel the barrier preventing him from entering. Julia looks at Liz and says, "If I thought I could join him, I would stay here forever." Julia, chides Liz, and leaves. Julia speaks plaintively to the air--"Barnabas, can you hear me?" She walks around--are you standing in that hall in the other time, watching me? "Hoffman!" calls Quentin. Julia continues. "Unable to make me hear you or see you? Or has your curse, that terrible curse, been discovered--if only I knew, if only I knew!" Quentin, perplexed, again calls to Hoffman, who responds--from behind him--HIS Hoffman.  The other stands in the room, longing for and fretting over Barnabas.

NOTES: Poor Julia, how awful that she's willing to stay in that room forever because she feels closer to Barnabas and wants to join him so desperately. Now Quentin is really going to think he's nuts!

Nasty Horace Gladstone is blackmailing Cyrus now, inevitable, I suppose, given how hard the man has been trailing Cyrus/Yaeger, intent on this very outcome. It's not the first time he's done such a thing, and perhaps even did so to Angelique. What other lives has she led, one wonders? Will Cyrus give in, or have Yaeger do away with the SOB using his neat sword-in-a-cane? And if he does, will Gladstone make sure he's caught? Is his threat real, does he actually have it all written down? Or is be bluffing? Hey, could Gladstone have somehow been Angelique's killer?

Dameon is buried, bye bye, don't let the door to hell hit you on the way out!

I wonder, if Cyrus' middle name perhaps John, and his mother's maiden name Yaeger? Just a thought.

Liz is a busybody, but she has everyone's best interests at heart. She wants Quentin back with Maggie, but why--is there an ulterior motive?

Hoffman sensed Angelique would be waiting for her, and indeed, she is, but the housekeeper doesn't realize it--why not?

Quentin feels guilty about a whole lot of things, and there are far more mysteries than answers. Will he take a trip, perhaps to New York, to bring back his bride? Selby will surely need a vacation when the others return, won't he?

Lots of questions and mysteries for us, too!

Love, Robin