Author Topic: Believe it or not, I'm getting the 1991 revival on DVD....  (Read 617 times)

IluvBarnabas

Believe it or not, I'm getting the 1991 revival on DVD....
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:50 AM »
I know, I know. I've complained and moaned and groaned and more than once announced my disapproval of the 1991 series and listed many of the faults I found with the show but....believe it or not I want to give the show another chance. Once I get the set, which I have pre-ordered on Amazon (since many a store I've gone to don't seem to have them anymore) I intend to view each and every episode and offer my review on them.

It's been a long while since I've seen the show, so who knows, maybe what I found wrong I might actually enjoy now. After all, for the longest time I didn't like the 1970 Parallel Time storyline, but then watching it again years later, I've found a new appreciation for it....I might feel the same way about the revival.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Believe it or not, I'm getting the 1991 revival on DVD....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 05:22:42 AM »
Hope you enjoy it this time around.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. This was my real introduction to DS and I love almost everything about it.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »
You might want to look through the thread here, I think the title is "Yet another slideshow," with old posts about screen captures from the 1991 series.  MB kindly included images from the deleted scenes that were included in the MPI VHS release, but not included in MGM's barebones DVD issue.  Not only can you see snapshots from those scenes, but he's also included script excerpts so you can follow along.

For episode one, I really do wish they had included those scenes.  I saw the tape for episode 12 and the extra scenes on that didn't really add very much from what I can remember [spoiler](Sarah's deathbed scene seemed to go on forever...  that is really all I remember about it).[/spoiler]

Obviously, you'll want to watch the episode first, then check the board for anything about deleted scenes.  I can't recall just which episodes had extra scenes included in the VHS.  I think maybe episodes 1, 2 and 12?  There was also a book published, DS Resurrected, that gave more info about plot threads that were either left undeveloped or were scheduled for development in the aborted second season.

cheers, Gothick