Author Topic: "Eye of the Devil" airs Friday on TCM  (Read 484 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"Eye of the Devil" airs Friday on TCM
« on: June 06, 2003, 01:33:30 AM »
I think the description of this section of the board means that we can post off-topic things (like our favorite recipes, poetry, etc. ??  ;) ) -- as long as we think they're of interest to people who like Dark Shadows ...

I'm so excited about a movie that airs tomorrow at noon (Central Time) on TCM, "Eye of the Devil."  I saw the last 45 minutes of it a few years ago and have been anxious to catch the entire movie ever since.  Taping it while I'm at work will mean I'll have to sacrifice taping DS tomorrow morning (since I want the movie on a separate tape, in SP) ...

I hope imdb.com won't mind my copying this summary:

"Vineyard owner marquis Philippe de Montfaucon is called back to his castle Bellenac because of another dry season. He asks his wife and children to remain in London, but they still come after him. His wife Catherine de Montfaucon soon discovers that her husband is acting mysteriously and that his employees are following old pagan rituals that call for the life of the marquis himself to save the crops." -- imdb.com  Summary of "Eye of the Devil"

This sounds a little bit like "The Wicker Man," which was discussed on this forum not long ago, and one commentator on imdb.com felt that the film must have influenced Polanski's "Rosemary's Baby."

I didn't know until I checked imdb.com just a few minutes ago that the director, J. Lee Thompson, also directed what may be my favorite movie from the 1960s:  "Return from the Ashes" (which I would kill to have on videotape -- it has never aired on cable since I got cable -- except on The Movie Channel, I think it is, which I don't get!  :'( )

The cast includes Deborah Kerr ("The Innocents"); also, I was excited to see listed in the cast Flora Robson (the elderly Miss Pross in my favorite version of "A Tale of Two Cities," with Chris Sarandon, Peter Cushing, Billie Whitelaw), and also the playwright and actor Emlyn Williams ("Night Must Fall" -- which I taped only yesterday, sacrificing another day of DS! -- and which I've been waiting to see ever since my old theater days some years ago!).

Luciaphil says it's good, too.   :)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995