Author Topic: Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock
« on: February 27, 2002, 06:31:58 PM »
Originally posted by Gerard on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 27, 2002 at 12:31:58:

How does that sound for an old Marilyn Ross DS novel? Anyway, when Willie sprang Barnabas from his 170 year sentence, there were obviously quite a few things he had to learn before he could slide into society undetected as someone who could've bankrupted social security. Everything from history and events from 1795 to 1967, understanding fashion, which end of the telephone receiver to hold to the ear, not freaking out when a blender is turned on, etc. I always thought he presented himself way too early after his resurrection; it would've taken much more time for Willie to fill him in on the nuances of the 20th century. The dangerous possibility of him going bananas when he first heard voices, sounds and music coming from a radio, hysterically pounding away at the box with his cane, screaming in utter panic: "Witch! Witch!" was just too risky.

And now Miss Winters has found herself in the opposite, but equal position. Exactly where does each article of clothing go when getting dressed? What do you do with all those buttons and hooks? Without alarm clocks, how does one rise in the morning with the roosters? How does one become accustomed to drinking only beer, wine or tea to quench one's thirst and only rarely water (because is was considered - and actually was - unhealthy back then)? How does one get use to the fact that one (and those around) only bathes a few times a year? Exactly how does one - ahem - "take care of business" using a chamberpot or that little booth outside?

Barnabas must've felt like Jed Clampett being perplexed with all those wonders of a futuristic world, while Vicki must have been like Lisa Douglas who gave up New York City for Hooterville.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2002, 06:49:25 PM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on February 27, 2002 at 12:49:25:
In Reply to: Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock posted by Gerard on February 27, 2002 at 12:31:58:

Gerard,

I guess that Vicki (back in 1795) and Willie (in 1967) both became very well acquainted with the one edifice that we never got to see on the sprawling Collins estate, namely, the Olde Outhouse behind the Old House. (That would prove to be rather "Spartan" during those especially bitter Maine winter nights, don't you think.)

Bob the Bartender, who reminds everyone that in a crowded home, you can never have too many "Johns" in the morning.

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 07:46:19 PM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 27, 2002 at 13:46:19:
In Reply to: Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock posted by Gerard on February 27, 2002 at 12:31:58:

How does that sound for an old Marilyn Ross DS novel?

I guess I read that wrong - I was expecting another Carnak bit [see my late post way below to 'Enter Angie,' please] - OR a reference to Boy George [who I actually worked with for a couple of days, and he was a very nice guy, esp with his fans, but I digest]

after his resurrection; it would've taken much more time for Willie to fill him in on the nuances of the 20th century.

I always pictured something like a Vulcan Mindmeld, where when he bit Willie [no pun intended] he just knew everything [like my wifey] But the scene of Barns reaction to a Radio 'WITCH! WITCH!' was great!!

and Gerard - I do hope you caught the outfit TLATKLS had on in the first ep today!! Did they even HAVE slinky things like that in that day? As Roy O would say 'RRRRRRoowwww'

Cheers,
The Chairman
Lord of the Ringo's
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 09:13:28 PM »
Posted by Gerard on February 27, 2002 at 15:13:28:
In Reply to: Re: Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock posted by RingoCollins on February 27, 2002 at 13:46:19:

and Gerard - I do hope you caught the outfit TLATKLS had on in the first ep today!! Did they even HAVE slinky things like that in that day? As Roy O would say 'RRRRRRoowwww''

I haven't seen it yet, Ringo. The VCR beckons. I usually watch the episodes in the evening, when all that needs to be done is done (even if it's not), pouring myself a Skyy-Blue martini, feet up. Now I'm going to be filled with all this anticipation until I hit that "Play" button!

Gerard

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2002, 10:35:10 PM »
Posted by Latisha on February 27, 2002 at 16:35:10:
In Reply to: Re: Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock posted by Bob the Bartender on February 27, 2002 at 12:49:25:

Yeah, and how come Barnabus never freaked out when EVERYONE looks like someone from his own time like Vicki, sorry, Victoria, does!
Also, Angelic rocks. Hmmmm, I need help. Let me get me a man-slave...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2002, 10:47:20 PM »
Posted by Gerard on February 27, 2002 at 16:47:20:
In Reply to: Re: Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock posted by Latisha on February 27, 2002 at 16:35:10:

how come Barnabus never freaked out when EVERYONE looks like someone from his own time like Vicki, sorry, Victoria, does!

Never thought of that - LOL! Imagine Roger reacting when Barnabas blurts out to him: "Father".

Gerard

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2002, 11:51:31 PM »
Posted by Ben on February 27, 2002 at 17:51:31:

Everything from history and events from 1795 to 1967, understanding fashion, which end of the telephone receiver to hold to the ear, not freaking out when a blender is turned on, etc. I always thought he presented himself way too early after his resurrection; it would've taken much more time for Willie to fill him in on the nuances of the 20th century.

Imagine it, Gerard ... having Willie as your tutor to bring you current on 175 years of history and culture? PLUS all the nuances? It's a wonder Barnabas was able to present himself as credibly as he did.

Still, I wonder how those tutorials went. I can't picture Barnabas as the docile student or Willie as the erudite schoolmaster:

WILLIE: Okay, Barnabas, uh, today we will learn about the early 1900s, when airplanes enabled man to fly in the sky ... like a bird.

BARNABAS: But Willie, you know I already know how to fly ... like a bat.

WILLIE: Well, then how about this gizmo called the telephone? Yeah, the telephone! Now looky-here, Barnabas, i-i-i-f you want someone at Collinwood to come here to the Old House, you just pick up this here receiver and start dialing these four numbers, like this ...

BARNABAS: But all I have to do is go to the front window, hold a candle so that my face is lit from below, and then repeat quietly, "Come to me, you will come to me."

Ben

Offline Rosaetta

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2002, 04:13:01 AM »
Originally posted by Rosaetta on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on March 12, 2002 at 22:13:01:
In Reply to: Re: Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock posted by Ben on February 27, 2002 at 17:51:31:

Imagine it, Gerard ... having Willie as your tutor to bring you current on 175 years of history and culture? PLUS all the nuances? It's a wonder Barnabas was able to present himself as credibly as he did.

I do like time travel stories. Some people who wrote to a DS newsletter I used to read commented how (in a later episode) did Barnabas learn to drive? Maybe Willie or Julia showed him this skill, and each could have found a birth certificate for him, but he did have a lot to learn about modern times, when DS did Quentin's story, they had already invented the telephone, so they wouldn't be strange to him. Although planes would be. It would make an interesting pieces of DS fiction about how Barnabas adjusted to the present, and how Vicki had to adjust to the past. Time travel stories are commonplace now, but at the time of DS, there was only Star Trek and Time Tunnel doing stories about journeys into the past.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2002, 03:31:40 AM »
Originally posted by Rosaetta on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on March 12, 2002 at 22:13:01:
In Reply to: Re: Barnabas, Vicki and Culture Shock posted by Ben on February 27, 2002 at 17:51:31:

Ben's
I do like time travel stories. Some people who wrote to a DS newsletter I used to read commented how (in a later episode) did Barnabas learn to drive?

Why would Barnabas have to learn how to drive? ?!? As a Vampire, he could easily transport himself...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2002, 07:10:03 AM »
Well, I think that Barney could have handled most things rather well just by standing back, watching, letting others take the lead, and most of all, by acting cool. A lesson Vicky would have been better off to learn!

I have often thought that there is a reason why women are not as prevalent in time travel fiction. It would be much, ahem, easier for a man to deal with the past, the lack of facilities and certain products.

I can testify to one thing though, having endured Kansas City's infamous ice storm and lack of power. Not having electricity changes EVERYTHING. There is absolutely no reason to stay up late. Life is so boring that you want to go to bed with the chickens.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2002, 09:50:49 AM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 27, 2002 at 13:46:19:

I guess I read that wrong - I was expecting another Carnak bit [see my late post way below to 'Enter Angie, please] - OR a reference to Boy George [who I actually worked with for a couple of days, and he was a very nice guy, esp with his fans, but I digest]

I always pictured something like a Vulcan Mindmeld, where when he bit Willie [no pun intended] he just knew everything [like my wifey] But the scene of Barns reaction to a Radio 'WITCH! WITCH!' was great!!

and Gerard - I do hope you caught the outfit TLATKLS had on in the first ep today!! Did they even HAVE slinky things like that in that day? As Roy O would say 'RRRRRRoowwww'

Cheers,
The Chairman
Lord of the Ringo's

What a hoot Ringo imagine some of the things he would have absorbed from Willie's mind heehee!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV