Author Topic: #0079/0080: Robservations 07/17/01: Burke Plays Carolyn and David  (Read 1294 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #79 - Even though the coroner has given an official opinion in the unexplained death of a man, the mystery of that death still creates dissension in our town, and not everyone agrees with the verdict.

Burke gazes out the window of his room at the Inn and greets Mrs. Johnson at the door. No one saw you come up? he asks. Oh, no, she says, that Mr. Wells at the desk wouldn't see the nose on his face. I'm sorry to have to ask you to come here, he says, but it's a little risky at your house. Not my house, she says, Mr. Malloy's, I only worked for him. No matter, says Burke. So, the coroner decided to call Mr. Malloy's death accidental, she says, I can't tell you how shocked I was by that. I know, he says, I felt the same and still do--but I think you should soft-pedal how you feel about it. How can I? she asks, when I know someone killed him and that someone is walking around free, and Mr. Malloy is dead? I know, sympathizes Burke, but if that someone found out how you really felt about it, he wouldn't want you to come up to work at Collinwood. I suppose not, she says, if we're talking about the same person. Yes, no need to mention names, says Burke--I have two goals in this life--one, to get Collinwood and all it represents--the other is to avenge Bill Malloy's death.

I hope I'll be able to help you with your plans, says Sarah, but you understand I'm only interested in solving this mystery. According to the coroner, there is no mystery, says Burke--Bill died accidentally. There are three people that know better than that, says Sarah--you, me and the person who killed him. Very true, says Burke. The phone rings and he excuses himself--yes, this is Burke Devlin--oh, yes, I'm always glad to hear from you--when was this?--last night?--I see--sure thing, thanks very much--right--he hangs up. Well, Burke says, that's very interesting--Roger brought Victoria Winters to the Blue Whale last night. Is that so unusual? asks Sarah. No, not really, says Burke, but Sam Evans was there with his daughter, and it seems Sam and Roger were arguing about something--what they were quarreling about has to be connected with Malloy's death--so evidently his death didn't solve their little problems--how did Mr. Malloy feel about Roger coming back to live at Collinwood? Very upset, replies Sarah, he had no use for Roger. How did Bill feel about Sam Evans? asks Burke. They were friend, she says, not close friends, but I often heard Mr. Malloy say what a shame it was the way Sam Evans had let himself go to seed. Did he ever mention anything about why he thought Sam had gone to seed? asks Burke. Not to me, he didn't, she says. If we can find the answer to that question, says Burke, we might find the answer to the big one--the big question--who killed Bill Malloy?

Sam sits at the counter in the Inn restaurant, reading the paper. Maggie offers him more coffee, which he refuses. Busy this morning? he asks. Same as usual, she says. Customers still talking about Malloy's death? he asks. She sets up a cup for herself. Not so much, she says, the coroner's report seems to have stopped most of it--now they're back to fishing and football. She pours coffee for herself. They forget so easily, he says. You should forget about it, too, she says, it's not going to do you any good to keep thinking about it. I know, he agrees. I thought once we got that report, she says, your worries would be over. He looks at her, guarded--what do you mean by that? he asks--what makes you think I was worried about the report? No reason, but you were, she says. Well I'm not now! he says, I never really gave it a thought--not a thought. OK, she says, sipping her coffee--she asks if his meeting with Roger at the Blue Whale had anything to do with his being "not so nervous." No, of course not, he says. What were the two of you talking about? she asks, you looked as thick as thieves. Nothing important, he murmurs, still reading the paper. Come on, when Roger came over to our table, she says, he looked like he'd been stung by a bee. You're imagining things, insists Sam. I know what it was, she teases--you and Rog robbed and bank and now you're arguing about how to split the loot. Sam slams the paper down on the counter. None of your business! he yells
--he calms down and says he didn't mean that--I haven't been myself lately. He touches her face, trying to erase the hurt in her eyes. That's what I've been wondering about, she says, if you're not yourself, who are you? Sam looks like he wonders the answer to that himself.

Burke's suite - Burke tells Sarah what he's interested in at Collinwood is anything and everything about Roger--where he goes, who he talks to on the phone, who comes to see him, things like that. And you think that will add up to proof he killed Bill Malloy, she says. That's what I want to believe, says Burke. Of course we don't know for sure I'll be hired as housekeeper at Collinwood, says Sarah. Carolyn said she was in favor of it, didn't she? asks Burke. Oh, yes, says Sarah, indeed she did. But it's Mrs. Stoddard who makes the decisions in that house, says Burke, not Carolyn, David or Roger. You mentioned this Victoria Winters, says Sarah, I heard Mr. Malloy speak about her a few times, but I'm not sure what her real connection with the family is. She's an orphan raised in a foundling home in New York, explains Burke--mysteriously, she was offered a position at Collinwood to tutor David. You say mysteriously, why? asks Sarah. I had a private investigator check her background, says Burke, he didn't come up with anything--isn't it strange that Mrs. Stoddard would hire some girl she didn't know anything about? Sarah thinks it over and says no, not when you think about it--they had that large staff at Collinwood 18 years ago, and when Paul Stoddard left, Mrs. Stoddard fired all of them--the cooks, the maids, the butler, the chauffeur, all of them--they haven't had anybody else there since old Matthew the caretaker--when Mrs. Stoddard decided she had to get help to take charge of that boy, that's exactly what she would do--get an outsider who knows nothing about them. What are they trying to hide? wonders Burke. I don't know, she says, but if I get into Collinwood, I'll do my best to find out. Good, says Burke, that reminds me, on the days Maggie works at the coffee shop, her father usually has breakfast, he should be there about now--I'd like to know what he and Collins were talking about last night. I haven't had my breakfast yet, she says. Neither have I, says Burke--you go on down, I'll come down in a few minutes--Mrs. Johnson--we don't particularly care for each other--right?
If it will find out who helped kill Mr. Malloy, I'll hate you, she vows--in public! (I love that!) She leaves. Burke smiles and closes the door. His phone rings. He answers. It's Blair, and he tells him I want to be in a position to put up an offer for the mortgage on Collinwood--yes, on the home and estate--now, are you known to either Frank or Richard Garner, their lawyers in Bangor?--good, in that case, if you approached them, they wouldn't be able to connect you with me, would they--fine, no, just contact them as a representative of money people from New York--you know, an interest in providing mortgage money, that's it--I'm going to se if I can't arrange is so Mrs. Stoddard or her brother might not suddenly have a need for a large sum of money.

Coffee shop - Maggie drinks her coffee and watches her father, telling him that if he doesn't start talking to her, she's going to start making him pay for his breakfast. I'll pay, he says, how much? I was kidding! she says--you used to be able to see through my jokes before I even made them! Maybe I'm getting old, he says. You're still a young man, she says, you just act childish. Mrs. Johnson comes in and sits at a table. Maggie bids her good morning and offers her a menu. No, thanks, she says. That's too bad, she says, I type these up myself and I'm kind of proud of them--not one typographical error! I'll have vegetable juice and whole wheat toast, well done, she says--I'll butter it myself--and coffee. Coming right up, says Maggie. She goes behind the counter and quietly tells Sam, "She's a bundle of laughs!" Why should she be? asks Sam. Do you think I ought to mention anything to her about Carolyn wanting Mrs. Stoddard to hire her as a housekeeper? asks Maggie. No, says Sam, I don't, what goes on up at Collinwood is none of our business. Right, says Maggie--I don't trust her. Why not? asks Sam. Female intuition, I think, says Maggie. Burke walks past Sarah and goes to the counter. He accepts coffee from Maggie and he and Sam greet each other almost as if they were strangers. How are you? asks Burke. Fine, says Sam, how are you? Couldn't be better, says Burke--I suppose you're happy about the verdict our coroner arrived at? It was the only possible one, says Sam. Maybe you're right, says Burke, but I don't think so. Nobody had anything to do with Bill Malloy's death, says Sam. Sarah jumps from her chair. Oh, yes! she cries, someone had something to do with it, and that someone is standing right there--Burke Devlin! Maggie, Burke and Sam all goggle at her, stunned.
I'm saying that Burke Devlin is responsible for Mr. Malloy being dead, insists Sarah. Now wait a minute, says Burke. I didn't say you drowned him, she says, but if you hadn't come back to Collinsport, Mr. Malloy would still be alive--you come back here stirring up all that mess about an accident 10 years ago, got Mr. Malloy so upset, he didn't know whether he was coming or going. He was my friend! says Burke. David enters the restaurant, listening. That's a fine friend, rails Sarah--come to town and do everything you can to throw doubt and suspicion on everyone--it was YOU caused Mr. Malloy to have that accident and drown!--and in your heart, you know it! David runs over and stands before Mrs. Johnson. That's not true! he cries, Burke didn't have anything to do with it! Wait a minute, says Burke, taking hold of David, keeping him from leaping at Mrs. Johnson. She doesn't know what she's talking about! insists David, agitated. OK, all right, I appreciate your concern, says Burke--I want to talk to you a minute, out here--and he leads David into the Inn foyer. Mrs. Johnson grabs her heart and moans.

All right, says Burke, what are you doing here, anyway? She doesn't know what she's talking about, says David--you didn't have anything to do with it. I know that, says Burke, his hands on David's shoulders, and I'm glad you took up for me in there--now tell me, what are you doing here? I was looking for you, he says. What do you want to talk about? asks Burke. There's something wrong, says David, I'm sick, the way everybody's blaming you for everything--it's just the way they treat me, too. We'll just have to take it, says Burke, OK? I'd like to kill them all! says David. That would be a pretty drastic solution, don't you think? asks Burke--now please, tell me, why did you come into town? To talk to you, privately, says David. Maybe we'd better go upstairs in my room, suggests Burke, OK? They head up. (The dialogue exchange here was awkward, and I suspect Henesy was helping to fill in Ryan's lines.)

Back in the coffee shop, Sam asks Sarah if she really meant it when she said Burke was responsible for Malloy's death. Not directly, she says, but until Devlin came to town, Mr. Malloy was a different man, until Burke showed on the scene, and began digging into all that past history. But Bill Malloy wasn't involved in all that, says Maggie. Sarah drinks water and says it distressed Mrs. Stoddard, and that was enough to get Mr. Malloy involved--and he was determined to stop Burke. And you think that Burke stopped him? asks Sam. Not directly, we have to accept the coroner's verdict on that, she says, but I know Mr. Malloy knew that shortcut by Lookout Point as well as he knew the back of his hand
--if his mind hadn't been so distracted by Burke Devlin, he would never have lost his footing the way they say.

Burke leads David into his hotel room and locks the door. He checks the kitchen and bedroom, making sure they're alone. OK, he says, now, what's on your mind? Is it true you want to take Collinwood and everything away from my Aunt Elizabeth? asks David (such a pathetic face)! Who on earth told you that? asks Burke. That's what she said, David tells him--you said you wanted to get it in any way you could--and that I wasn't to see you ever again. Burke leans down and asks him if she said he offered to buy it--did she say that? All she said was I could never could see you again, because you wanted to get it in any way you could, says David. Ah, Davy, says Burke, his hands on the boy's shoulders, sit down. They sit on the sofa and Burke reminds him of the last time he was here--you suggested that I buy it then, remember, so we could have fun? And SHE thinks you're doing it just to be mean! says David, vastly relieved. (Ah, innocence!) I couldn't be mean to you, my friend, Burke assures him. And I couldn't be mean to you, says David. Exactly, says Burke. David stands, still looking disturbed--they all say I can't have divided loyalties, he says. Who is "they all"? asks Burke. Aunt Elizabeth, Matthew, it's a hard decision, says David. I'm sure it is, agrees Burke, but I know you'll come up with the right answer. Miss Winters has been teaching me about the Civil War, says David, and they had divided loyalties then. Yes, they did, says Burke. Sometimes brother was fighting brother and friend against friend, says David. That's very true, says Burke. That's the kind of decision I have to make, explains David--like you're General Grant and Aunt Elizabeth is General Lee. Burke smiles and says he's flattered if she is. That's it, says David, they were both great, but one of them had to lose. And one of them had to win, says Burke. I don't want either of you to win, says David, because I don't want either of you to lose. (Such a dilemma for one so young!) What do you say we have a truce? asks Burke--no more fighting--you don't fight me and I don't fight you. But we weren't fighting, points out David. That's right, says Burke, then you and I don't need a truce, do we? No, we don't, replies David--what about Grant and Lee? Well, says Burke, I guess we'll just have to re-write history so nobody loses. Wouldn't that be great? asks David. Yeah, says Burke, wouldn't it, though? David says that he expects when he gets home, if they find out he's been here, they'll beat him. He takes the photo of Burke that he "borrowed" and surreptitiously places it on the table, under an ashtray, figuring Burke can't see him. I hope not, says Burke. I expect they will, says David, they do it all the time--it will be even worse if they hire that old Mrs. Johnson to be my jailer. She's a good old soul, says Burke. It doesn't matter anyway, says David. Burke calls him over and says he wants to talk to him about Mrs. Johnson. David nods.

They're back sitting on the sofa, and Burke explains to David that he really shouldn't resent what he heard Mrs. Johnson say in the restaurant--she didn't mean a word of it. It sure sounded like she did, says David. She's very upset, says Burke, about Mr. Malloy. I liked him, too, says David, but I don't go around blaming people for things they never did. I guess she acts that way because she suddenly has nothing to care about in this world, nothing to look forward to, says Burke.
Maybe she has, says David--my Aunt Elizabeth was thinking about hiring her as a housekeeper. Was she? asks Burke, feigning surprise. Yeah, says David, and I thought it was just going to be one more person to watch me. Burke smiles--you see, Davy, he says, you don't think things through--that's a big house, and your aunt needs somebody else to take care of it--not to watch you. I guess I was all wrong about her, says David--maybe I should apologize. It takes a man to admit he's wrong, says Burke. Carolyn apologized to me for something yesterday, says David, only she wasn't wrong, she was right--she said I stole something of yours, but I didn't really steal it, I just borrowed it to look at. What was that? asks Burke. That picture of you, says David, showing him the photo he tucked under the ashtray. How could you have stolen that when it's been here all the time? asks Burke--it wouldn't be stealing it because it belongs to you, anyway--I meant for you to have it. Delighted, David says, you did? Sure, says Burke, that's why I put it down there, for you to take it. Can I take it? asks David. You don't have to ask for something when it's already yours, says Burke. David takes the photo and is so excited, he drops it while trying to slip it into his pocket. He picks it up and slides pockets it. Gee, I'm glad I came to see you, says David. So am I, says Burke--let's go. David opens the door, but the chain lock is on, and Burke unfastens it. They go. (this is humorous, because they apparently forgot the chain link was on.)

Sarah, sitting next to Sam at the counter, tells him and Maggie she thinks it's Burke Devlin's nature to pry around ad upset people. Maybe Burke was upset, too, suggests Maggie. He'll have to learn to forget, says Sam--live and let live. That's exactly what I say, agrees Sarah--I'd like another piece of this toast. You like my cooking! Says Maggie. I'll have it over at this table, says Sarah, I'm just not built for these stools. She moves her coffee to the table and sits down. Sam tells Maggie to watch her manners with Mrs. Johnson--she's been through a lot. OK, agrees Maggie, I guess I was a little harsh on her--she's all right. I have to make a phone call, says Sam. Who are you going to...I'm sorry I said that, Pop. He pats her hand. Burke brings David into the restaurant and quietly points to Sarah. David goes over to her and tells her he wants to apologize for the way he acted. That's perfectly all right, she says. Speaking as if doing a recitation, David says, "I wish you'd accept, in the spirit in which it was tended." I do, says Sarah, and perhaps I was harsh about Mr. Devlin. You mean you apologize? asks David excitedly. I suppose so, she says. Burke! says David--she apologizes to you! That's fine, says Burke, and thanks Mrs. Johnson. She nods at him silently. David jumps onto a stool and Burke says this calls for a little celebration. Yes, sir, says Maggie. Hot chocolate? offers Burke. Yeah! Says David enthusiastically, great! Burke smiles at David, and Mrs. Johnson looks proud and smug.

NOTES: Burke and Mrs. Johnson have managed to get both Carolyn and David on their side in this plot to hire Mrs. J as a housekeeper. Burke is one smooth man, working his charm on a needy kid like that, but how morally right is it? David is so desperate for love, for friendship, he believes everything Burke tells him. It's kind of sad for the child, but I believe Burke feels real affection for him. It's very complex, well written by Francis Swann.

Sam is still upset and not telling Maggie anything, but she's learning not to ask--she stopped herself from wanting to know who he was planning to call.

Burke is still plotting to buy Collinwood, and it sounds like he has a plan afoot to make either Roger or Liz needy enough to sell Collinwood. I wonder what form this plan will take?

Touching the way Burke gives David his photo after learning he stole it. Loved their Civil War discussion. Burke really knows how to manipulate David, who is a master manipulator himself. Is it possible that the writers were planning to reveal down the line that David is really Burke's son?

Episode #80 - The death of a friend of the Collins family has been written off as accidental, but in this great and gloomy house, there is still one man searching for something---something he fears might connect him with the death that is thought to be accidental.

Roger searches the drawing room, looking for the pen. He's clearly upset about it, muttering to himself--I was standing just about here--Carolyn offered me the pen--then left--then later she came back by the fireplace, here--and I offered her the pen and she refused--he walks toward the window--I put the pen in my pocket--maybe I changed my jacket--no, no, I didn't!--he feels his forehead as if it hurts, then looks up to see Vicki staring at him. You do move about silently, don't you? he asks. Perhaps I could wear wooden shoes, she suggests archly. I suppose you wonder what I was doing? he asks. Not at all, she says, I know what you were doing. He eyes her with distrust.

Just what do you think I was doing? he asks guiltily. Practicing a new dance step, she says. Oh, he says, pleased and relieved, unfortunately, not--I was trying to remember something, but it wasn't very important--are you looking for something? Not something, someone, she says, I can't find David anywhere, he seems to have vanished into thin air. Not exactly, he tells her. You know where he is? she asks, sitting on the sofa. I received a call that he was at the Collinsport Inn with Burke Devlin, reports Roger. This surprises Vicki, who suggests she go get him. By the time I got there, says Roger, he had already left, alone, and I didn't see him on the road as I drove home. He's probably gone to his favorite haunt, the Old House, says Vicki. Just the sort of hideout my son would choose, smiles Roger. He'll probably come home when he gets hungry, she says. Oh, Vicki, says Roger, have you heard anymore about my sister hiring Mrs. Johnson to work here? As far as I know, she replies, no more has been done about it. I hope that you can dissuade her from bringing her on here, says Roger, because I dislike having strangers around the house. Not so very long ago, I was a stranger myself, she reminds him. That's quite different, says Roger, you have come from out of town without local connections--if we bring Mrs. Johnson here, I'm sure she'll want to bring all her friends here, and the place will be flooded with local curiosity seekers--I'm not too keen on Mrs. Johnson hovering about. Roger, says Liz from the doorway--will you stop interfering with the running of my house?--the responsibility is mine! Really, Liz, begins Roger, and Vicki hastily excuses herself, saying she has something to do. Of course, says Liz, and Vicki exits. Liz closes the doors and says, "Now, Roger..." I know Collinwood belongs to you, my dear sister, says Roger sourly, but since David and I are living here, it seems like we could be consulted before you bring strangers in off the street. Mrs. Johnson can hardly be considered a stranger, says Liz, she was Bill Malloy's housekeeper. She will be a constant reminder of Malloy's death, says Roger. You're being ridiculous, she says. I don't want to think of the way he died, says Roger--he was practically brought in on our very doorstep. I want to spend less time in the house and more on other things, says Liz--like David--since you never have any time to devote to your own son. What's Vicki for? asks Roger--that's her job. She's his tutor, not a constant companion, says Liz--I want her to spend more time with Carolyn. I see, all right, says Roger nastily--if you, Carolyn, David and Vicki are satisfied, then I suppose I have nothing to complain about! No you haven't! says Liz. If you're so concerned about my son's choice of companions, says Roger sarcastically, how is it he's gotten so chummy with Burke Devlin? Liz, sitting on the sofa, looks up at him.

Vicki is dusting her furniture when Carolyn comes in, asking if anyone's home--I have a problem. Ignore it and it will go away, advises Vicki. That's my problem, says Carolyn--it already isn't there--what should I do about Joe--just because I broke that date with him, he hasn't even called me. It's early still, says Vicki. I know, but I usually hear from him, says Carolyn. Why don't you break down and call him? suggests Vicki. Then he'll think I'm the one in the wrong, says Carolyn. Aren't you? asks Vicki. Of course, agrees Carolyn, but I don't want him to know that. Vicki chuckles and asks what are you going to do, then? Carolyn shrugs and says I guess I'll call him--I can always say it was your idea. (LOL!)

I have no idea why David was in town, says Roger--I only know he was having something to eat with Burke Devlin at the Inn--Mrs. Johnson was there, too. Both of them? asks Liz. Apparently not, says Roger. I'll certainly speak to David about it, says Liz. I wish you would, says Roger. Carolyn is on the foyer phone when Roger exits, telling Joe, "That's marvelous"--get here as soon as you can. She giggles and dances in a circle. Nice to see one happy face around here, says Roger. I am happy, says Carolyn. Good, says Roger--Kitten, are you positive you gave Burke's pen back to me? Of course, she says. What makes you so positive? asks Roger. Because it was the night Mr. Malloy died, she says, you don't think I'd forget a thing like that, do you?--and then later, you told me you went right from here to the office, so if you haven't found the pen around the house, you must have lost it along the way. She runs off, and Roger, unhappy, says yes, I could have.

Roger, garbed in his trench coat, is down on the beach,
looking in the sand. He tosses a rock into the sea, then walks on.

Vicki reads over a letter on her bed. Carolyn bursts in. "You're marvelous!" exults Carolyn. What happened? asks Vicki. I did exactly what you told me to do, explains Carolyn, and Joe acted as if that argument was all his fault, not mine--he's coming right up here--have you got a scarf I could wear with this? I think so, says Vicki, searching her dresser. Oh, my hair, complains Carolyn, running fingers through perfectly-coiffed locks, what should I do with it? Brush it, says Vicki, handing her a brush. (Isn't that unsanitary?) Carolyn brushes her hair. Liz comes in asking Vicki if she's seen David. Mr. Collins said he was in town, Vicki tells her, he's probably back by now. Did he tell you he was with Burke Devlin? asks Liz. Yes, says Vicki, he did. This can't continue, says Liz, we've got to get some help here. How about Mrs. Johnson? asks Carolyn. I don't know, says Liz. Call her, says Carolyn, it would be such a nice thing to do for Mr. Malloy. A car pulls up. That sounds like Joe, says Carolyn--be a lamb, Vicki, and go let him in. Sure, says Vicki, leaving the room. You were with David the other day in Burke's hotel room, says Liz as Carolyn continues to brush her hair--what was his attitude toward David? I don't know, I think he just sort of tolerates him, says Carolyn. What is David's attitude toward Burke? asks Liz. He seems to like him very much, says Carolyn--David says he's his friend--is my hair all right? Liz takes the brush and works on Carolyn's hair, saying she wishes everything in the house was as all right as her hair.

Vicki answers the door and greets Joe. Carolyn will be down in a minute, she says. Doe Carolyn know I saw you last night? Joe asks her, taking off his jacket. Not as far as I know, says Vicki. I mean does she know you saw me? asks Joe--as far as my being at the Blue Whale? Not from me, she doesn't, says Vicki. Good, says Joe, she might not understand me dancing with Maggie. I haven't said anything to her and I promise you I won't, says Vicki. If I weren't in love with Carolyn, says Joe, I think I'd be in love with you, grateful for her understanding. Liz comes down and asks Joe to come into the drawing room--she wants to talk to him. Sure, he says. I'll tell Carolyn she needn't hurry, says Vicki, taking his jacket from the table and dropping it on a chair. Roger comes in. Vicki asks him if he was able to find David. No, I wasn't, he says. He asks her if anyone's in the drawing room, and she says that Joe and Mrs. Stoddard are in there. Joe? Says Roger, what's he doing here? He came to see Carolyn, says Vicki. Does Carolyn know about last night? asks Roger. Not if you haven't told her, says Vicki. That sounds like a slight reprimand to me, says Roger. Try and be nice to him, says Vicki, you know how much Carolyn thinks of him. She goes upstairs as Roger shrugs off his coat.

Liz tells Joe she wants to talk about his plans for the future. I don't have any special plans, he says, I would like to have my own fishing boat and be my own boss, but that's a long way off. Am I such a bad boss to work for? she asks, smiling. Not at all, he says, I've just always wanted to be an independent and own my own boat, strike out for success on my own. A sound answer, says Liz approvingly. Roger knocks and enters, saying he hopes he isn't interrupting anything of vital importance. Come in, Roger, says Liz, I was just about to try and persuade Joe to give up his idea of becoming an independent. Are you afraid the Collins fishing fleet can't stand the competition? teases Roger. No, but I'd rather have Joe working for us, says Liz. I thought if I had my own boat, I could still work for you on a contract basis, says Joe. Of course that's possible, says Liz, but I'd rather you stay on with us, I think you'd do better, and now with Mr. Malloy gone, we might be able to give you a better job. I thought those kinds of decisions were my responsibility, says Roger. Liz makes a face and says, I'm sure you'll agree with me, Roger. Yes, I suppose so, he says reluctantly. I don't think it's going to be necessary for either of you to decide anything, says Joe uncomfortably. Of course it's up to you, but I hope you'll give it more thought, says Liz--and to be in a position to ask Carolyn to marry you... Looking down, Joe says he's already asked her. Perhaps without the necessary inducements, says Liz
--you do want to marry her? Of course, says Joe. Perhaps she doesn't want to marry you, suggests Roger. I think it would be better if I talked to Joe alone, says Liz, her tone tinged with annoyance. As you wish, my dear, says Roger, exiting the room and closing the doors behind him. (Liz really likes to "decapitate" Roger in the southern region, doesn't she?--ouch!) Carolyn comes downstairs, coat over her arm, beaming. You don't want to go in there, warns Roger, your Mr. Haskell and my sister are having a frightfully important conference. Really? asks Carolyn--what about? I believe your mother is offering Joe some great bribe to take you off her hands, says Roger. Uncle Roger, says Carolyn reproachfully, then looks at his angry face and adds, "You are joking?" She wouldn't say it in so many words, he says, but that's what it sounded like to me--oh, Kitten, you can't be serious about marrying an ordinary fisherman--that's the extent of his ambition. What's wrong with being a fisherman? asks Carolyn defensively. Nothing, says Roger, except as with all fishermen, he must feel there are more fish in the sea. What is that supposed to mean? asks Carolyn, irritated. Well, you might ask Joe if he enjoyed his date last night at the Blue Whale. What date? asks Carolyn quietly. I'm not one to talk out of school, says Roger, (get a switch and hit yourself, liar!) but Vicki and I happened to be there and we saw him with Maggie Evans.

Ask him, suggests Roger--or better yet, ask Vicki. I'll do just that, says Carolyn, and marches upstairs. His evil work done here, Roger heads into the kitchen. Don't be hasty, Liz advises Joe as they exit the drawing room, a promotion would get you what you want much sooner than if you wait to get your own boat. I know, says Joe, but if Carolyn wants to marry me, it's going to have to be on my own terms. Think it over, suggests Liz. I don't think there's any need to, says Joe. Carolyn, upset, comes downstairs, calling to Liz, angrily warning her mother--if you think I'm something that can simply be bought and sold, you are very much mistaken! That isn't what I meant, protests Liz. And you, with your precious independence, says Carolyn turning on Joe--well you can be independent, but without me!
--and she runs upstairs, leaving Joe gazing at Liz, startled.

Vicki sits at her desk, writing with the silver filigree pen she found on the beach. Carolyn, dejected, comes in and tosses herself on the bed. I don't know whether I hate you or not, says Carolyn. Why me? asks Vicki, sitting on the bed next to her. Why didn't you tell me you saw Joe last night at the Blue Whale with Maggie Evans? asks Carolyn. Would that have made you happy? asks Vicki wisely. You're supposed to be my friend! Carolyn reminds her. I think I am, says Vicki. Then why didn't you tell me? demands Carolyn. Because there wasn't anything to it, says Vicki--Maggie was there with her father. If my Uncle Roger hadn't told me, says Carolyn, I never would have known. And you wouldn't have been so unhappy, says Vicki--is that what you came wailing up here about? Partly, says Carolyn--my mother just offered Joe a perfectly wonderful opportunity for advancement in our company, and he turned her down--he still wants to own his own boat. Isn't that what you want? asks Vicki. Yes, says Carolyn, because that's what he wanted--it would have meant we could get married. That's what you're afraid of, isn't it? asks Vicki. I don't know, admits Carolyn--I think I'll take a long walk and see if the sea air doesn't blow some sense into my head. You want some company? asks Vicki. No thanks, says Carolyn, I think I'll go to Lookout Point--who knows, maybe I'll fall in the water and drown like Mr. Malloy--then no more problems. You do that, quips Vicki--only don't get washed up on Widows' Hill. Carolyn smiles weakly. Vicki goes back to writing her letter with the fountain pen, which seems to have run out of ink.

Downstairs, Joe tells Liz to tell Carolyn he'll call her--if she'll still talk to him. She'll get over it, Liz assures him. There always seems to be something for her to get over, says Joe. I know, says Liz--I want you to seriously consider what I suggested before you turned it down. I'm late, he says, I'd better be getting back to work. They say their good-byes. Roger exits the kitchen and Liz asks him if he'd mind going upstairs to tell Carolyn she wants to speak to her. As you wish, my dear sister, says Roger. I think she's in her room, says Liz. Roger goes upstairs. Liz dials the phone--hello, Mrs. Johnson, Elizabeth Stoddard--I wonder if you'd come out to Collinwood at your earliest convenience?--it's about a job.

Vicki shakes the pen vigorously, trying to get more ink out of it. Roger comes in, apologizing for bothering her, and asks if she's seen Carolyn. She said something about going for a walk on Lookout Point, says Vicki. That's where Malloy drowned, says Roger, disturbed. It's not always so unlucky, points out Vicki, holding up the pen--I found this fountain pen there. Stunned, Roger takes it from her. You found this pen at Lookout Point? he asks, his voice cracking. Yes, says Vicki, it's pretty, isn't it?
But it's not much good without any ink--excuse me--and she takes the pen from his hand and leaves the room.

NOTES: IF Roger is unhappy, EVERYONE'S unhappy! What a nasty pill he is. He just had to tattle on Joe, making not just him and Carolyn miserable, but Vicki and Liz, too. He's a cruel SOB, isn't he?

So now the mysterious pen as been found. Roger seems taken aback. He must have lost it on Lookout Point, so it seems that they're trying to make us believe he did away with Malloy despite his lies and deception. What is the truth here? And if Roger didn't kill Bill, why is he acting so oddly, searching wildly for that pen? Why didn't he lay claim to the pen?--was it because it would focus suspicion on him? Now that Vicki has found the pen, what will ensue?

Sounds like Liz has decided to hire Mrs. Johnson. What changes will her presence wreak on the household, especially since WE know she's coming in as Burke's spy?

Poor Joe. He's offered a great job but wants to be his own man, so he turns it down. Carolyn fears he'll accept it, thus opening the door for her being forced to make a decision about marrying him. Roger was right about one thing--perhaps his niece doesn't want to marry Joe. Maggie certainly seems to want him, so he already has somewhere else to go, but how long will it take him to give up on the flighty blonde? And will Carolyn regret giving up such a sweet, ambitious guy? And would Liz offer him that promotion if he weren't semi-engaged to her only child?

Love, Robin