Author Topic: Posting Problem  (Read 988 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Posting Problem
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:09:51 AM »
I tried to post and got the error message that my last post was less than 120 seconds ago.  When I went "back," the post was gone and I had to recreate it.  I waited until I was sure it was more than 2 minutes and tried to post again.  This time it said I had already submitted the same post and perhaps I had double clicked!  So, I checked to see if it had gone through after all, but it hadn't!!!  Then I recreated it again, made a couple of slight changes (like an extra space between a couple of items) to make sure it wasn't identical, and then it finally worked.

Number 1, if the only problem was posting too soon, why wouldn't the message still be there to post later?

Number 2, either it was posted or not.  How could it say I had already posted it, when clearly it wasn't there?
Josette

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Posting Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:31:43 AM »
How could it say I had already posted it, when clearly it wasn't there?

bom! Bom!! BOMMMMMM!!!

(forgive me, I couldn't resist)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:43:42 AM »
The same thing has happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times over the years.  Most times when it happens, I just decide to take a break from the boards for awhile.  If I still feel moved to post again next time I'm on, I rewrite it.  Otherwise, I just let it slide.

Given how many posts I've made here, it's really a pretty low rate of incidence--less than one percent.  So I just take it as something that goes with the territory.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:38 AM »
Josette, I've seen that glitch before.  Now, when I get the "120 seconds" message, I get out of the topic altogether and then bring it back up before trying again to post, and after I do that I never get the "already submitted" message.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
I tried to post and got the error message that my last post was less than 120 seconds ago.  When I went "back," the post was gone and I had to recreate it.  I waited until I was sure it was more than 2 minutes and tried to post again.  This time it said I had already submitted the same post and perhaps I had double clicked!  So, I checked to see if it had gone through after all, but it hadn't!!!  Then I recreated it again, made a couple of slight changes (like an extra space between a couple of items) to make sure it wasn't identical, and then it finally worked.

Number 1, if the only problem was posting too soon, why wouldn't the message still be there to post later?

Number 2, either it was posted or not.  How could it say I had already posted it, when clearly it wasn't there?

This for me has been normal procedure for most of the years I've been on this board.  This is just the way it works for me, when I post too soon.   I no longer expect anything different.  Instead of waiting 2 minutes, I wait 3.   When I get the warning, I do something else on another site for at least 3 minutes, then find the thread again and start over.

I now write posts in a text document and paste it into the posting screen.  With my eye thing, it's a very bad thing to have a post lost, and to have to focus to write and type it all over again, which happens to me here and elsewhere fairly frequently.  Except that now, I just paste in a new copy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor