Author Topic: #0077/0078: Robservations 07/16/01: A Family Divided  (Read 1130 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0077/0078: Robservations 07/16/01: A Family Divided
« on: July 15, 2001, 05:06:22 PM »
Episode #77 - The battle over Collinwood has been joined., either for or against, yet it isn't always an easy decision, for some more difficult than for others.

Carolyn comes downstairs and into the drawing room, where Liz reads the paper. Carolyn says she's been thinking about Burke. I was afraid of that, says Liz. What I mean is, says Carolyn, after Burke made it so clear he was out to destroy is, I thought about some other things he'd said to me, like the day we had lunch in Bangor, and met his friend, Mr. Blair--I didn't know what he was really like then--when he introduced me to Mr. Blair, he said he was an old swindler who was in cahoots with him to defraud you of everything. Burke said that? asks Liz. Naturally, I thought he was kidding, says Carolyn, I laughed at it. Probably the truth, says Liz, but he said it in such a way that you wouldn't believe him. I guess I was pretty foolish, says Carolyn, You were flattered by his attention, says Liz, and I must say, I can't blame you--if I could forget what Burke was trying to do to us, I think I'd find him very attractive. That's what makes it so tough, agrees, Carolyn, I still think he's terribly attractive. He still is, says Liz, only his plans aren't. That's what I've been thinking about, Says Carolyn, his plans. I think he made it perfectly clear, says Liz, he wants to have everything we own. Exactly, says Carolyn--but does he want to own, us, too? --when I went to his hotel room, I found David there--what was David doing in Burke's room? What were YOU doing there? asks Liz.

You mean, what was I doing in Burke's hotel room? asks Carolyn, Yes, you questioned David was there, says Liz, I want to know why you were there.
Oh, says Carolyn, I went to tell him I never expected to see her again. Wouldn't it have been simpler to just not see him again? asks Liz. No, says Carolyn, I had to tell him--I wanted him to know how I felt, and was hoping it might change his mind about the way he felt about the family (so naive!)--I couldn't fool Burke for a second, he knew exactly why I was there. Why did you go there? asks Liz. I guess I was mad--I knew he'd drove Vicki home yesterday--I just got jealous. How could you be jealous of someone you plan never to see again? asks Liz. I know! says Carolyn, I just don't understand my own feelings--I don't know why I chase after Burke, he's...I don't know, mysterious! And mysteries are intriguing, says Liz. Yes! agrees Carolyn--I know it sounds crazy. I think I understand, says Liz--many, many years ago, a stranger came to Collinsport--he was mysterious as all strangers are, because you know nothing of the past--and that's where the mystery lies--he was very glib, this man, and had a way with him. What happened? asks Carolyn. I married him, says Liz--he was your father--Paul Stoddard. Did you love my father? asks Carolyn. Yes, I loved him, says Liz. You've never told me much about him, says Carolyn--what was your life together like? Out life together, says Liz, was nothing. Carolyn looks down. I hope you're not going to see anymore of Burke Devlin, says Liz. Not, I'm no, says Carolyn kissing her mother's cheek. See if David's in his room, says Liz, I'd like to talk to him--I might as well straighten him out about Burke, too. OK, says Carolyn, and goes to get her cousin. Liz wanders toward the window.

David, in suit and tie, watches Matthew work on fixing a drawer. He asks the caretaker if he's ever had any serious problems. Many, says Matthew. What if it was something you couldn't make up your mind about? asks David. You try to do the right thing, says Matthew. What if you don't know the right thing? asks David. You're fortunate, says Matthew, you have a wonderful aunt who can give you advice. She's part of my problem, says David. A man or boy can't live with divided loyalties, you must make a choice--says Matthew--you have to decide which side you're on and stick to it, no matter what happens. What if there are two people involved and you like both? Asks David. You have to choose, says Matthew. Do you know who I'm talking about? asks David. Burke Devlin and Mrs. Stoddard, says Matthew. How did you know, I didn't talk about it, says David, surprised. Sometimes a person can learn a lot by the questions they're asked, says Matthew--you asked me a lot about Burke Devlin. You're smart, says David. Nobody ever accused me of that before, chuckles Matthew--but I listen a lot, and I hear a lot--I'll tell you one thing--a long time ago I chose to be loyal to Mrs. Stoddard and I've never regretted it. Would you even give up a good friend for her? asks David. I would, says Matthew, I'd do anything for her. How about for me? asks David. You, too, if I thought Mz. Stoddard wanted me to, says Matthew. He even gave me a picture of himself, says David, taking it from his desk drawer. He shows it to Matthew. It's a picture of Burke at his first oil strike, says David. Devlin gave you that? asks Matthew. Yes, says David--not exactly--I borrowed it--but he'd want me to have it. No doubt, says Matthew. The door opens and Carolyn comes in, telling David that Mother wants to see him in the drawing room. He hides the photo behind his back and asks what about. Go ask her, says Carolyn, but if you want a hint, it's about your visit to Burke. You had to go and tell everybody, he accuses. She already knew, says Carolyn. Sure, because when we were there, you called and told everybody where we were, says David. The last time you did that, you had us worried sick about you, she says--we almost called the police. for me? he asks, pleased. Mm-hm, she says, we thought something had happened to you. Why didn't you call them? asks David, I might even have gotten a ride home in a police car. (He's such a kid!) If I remember correctly, Carolyn reminds him, Mr. Devlin drove you home. You're right, he says, and that was better than any old police car! He leaves. I wouldn't have anything to do with him, if I was you, Miss, says Matthew. David? asks Carolyn--why not? Burke Devlin, says Matthew, he's a dangerous man, like a wounded tiger--even an experienced hunter won't go after a wounded tiger. He's that all right, says Carolyn--a tiger. Matthew looks displeased.

David comes downstairs at Collinwood and joins his aunt in the drawing room. You wanted to see me? he asks. Yes, sit down, she says. She sits beside him and says she wants to talk about Burke. Oh, I haven't given him much thought for a long time, lies David. I know we've discussed this before, she says, but the situation has changed a lot since then--Burke has declared open war on our family. Not on me, he hasn't! declares David, standing. You're a Collins, she reminds him. But Burke's my friend, protests David. He might want you to think he is, says Liz, but his actions prove differently. He even gave me a present, says David. That was in the nature of a bribe, says Liz. No it wasn't! says David, Burke wouldn't have to bribe me to do anything. Liz asks why he thinks so much of Burke. I like him, he's my friend, says David. Do you think a friend would come here and tell me he intends to take away the cannery, the fishing fleet and all of Collinwood? I can't believe it, says David. Do you trust me? asks Liz. David thinks it over. Yes, he admits, sadly. Then you must believe me when I say that Burke wants to gain possession of everything we own--he wants to get it any way he can. But he wouldn't! says David. She turns him around to face her. Darling, you said you trusted me, says Liz, then you must believe what I say--you're either for me or against me. He looks at her, helpless.

Carolyn straightens papers in David's room and finds the photo of Burke.
She pulls open a drawer. Matthew asks her if she lost something. What? she asks--yes, I thought David might have taken it--accidentally--it wasn't anything important--a photograph. Of Burke Devlin? he asks. No...yes, says Carolyn, how did you know? David showed it to me a while back, he said he borrowed it, says Matthew. Borrowed it? asks Carolyn, returning to the desk--I wonder if he took anything else? Why don't you wait till he comes back and ask him? asks Matthew. He couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it, says Carolyn. He wouldn't lie to you, says Matthew, you're part of the same family. That doesn't matter to David, says Carolyn, looking though books. Family is all that does matter, says Matthew. Not to David, says Carolyn, I think Burke Devlin is more important to him. Somebody ought to tell him, says Matthew. You can't tell David anything, insists Carolyn. Somebody's got to tell him Devlin only wants to hurt Mz. Stoddard. Not just mother, says Carolyn, Burke wants to hurt the entire Collins family--that's why he came here today--to issue an ultimatum, warn us--say we'd all be out in the streets before long--you see, Mr. Devlin isn't satisfied by the verdict handed down by the coroner. It's the law! says Matthew. Burke makes his own laws, says Carolyn--he isn't convinced Bill Malloy drowned accidentally--he thinks someone killed him. But he's wrong! says Matthew. of course he's wrong, says Carolyn, but you yourself called him a wounded tiger--and who's going to go into the brush after a wounded tiger and says sorry, it was all a mistake

Did you understands what I just said? asks Liz. Sure, says David, you wanted to know whether I'm for you--you know I am, Aunt Elizabeth. That wasn't all of it, she says--I want you to promise me never to see Burke again--will you promise that? No, he says, he's the only friend I have! He isn't your friend, she says. I think he is, says David. What if I insist you don't see him again? asks Liz. Is that why you hired a new housekeeper? Asks David. How did you know about that? asks Liz. You're going to hire Mrs. Johnson to be my jailer, says David. Nothing of the sort, says Liz--besides, I'm only thinking about engaging her. But why do you even have to think about it? asks David. If I have Mrs. Johnson to take care of the house, I'll have much more time to devote to you, she says. Why do you need more time to look after me? he asks,. Because I love you, she says. Oh, I thought maybe it was because you wanted to watch me, he says. Why would I want to watch you? she asks. David wanders around the room, and she tells him to sit down. He does. You once told me you care for me, she says. I do, he says. If you do, you'll do as I ask, says Liz, and not see Burke again. He looks unhappy and says he'll have to think about it. What's there to think about? she asks. It's the same thing as you thinking about hiring Mrs. Johnson! He says resentfully--be my jailer! And he leaves, Liz calling his name.

Carolyn is looking through all of David's desk drawers when he comes in and catches her. What are you doing? he demands. Nothing, I was looking for something, she says. You were searching my room! he accuses. She holds out the photo and asks where he got it. Where did you get it, it's mine! he says, reaching for it. She yanks it out of his reach--how did it come to be yours? She asks. It was a present, he lies. I think you stole it, she says. I didn't! he protests. Don't you think Burke is going to notice it's missing? she asks. He wouldn't mind, he'd want me to have it, insists David. So you did steal it, she says. No, I just borrowed it, says David. What else did you "borrow" from Burke's room when he wasn't looking? She asks. Nothing! says David, I didn't steal that picture, either, you can ask Burke.
Matthew listens. I have no intention of asking Burke anything, says Carolyn. He'll tell you, says David, he'll tell you I didn't steal it. you're such close friends, I'm sure he'd say anything you asked him to, says Carolyn. The reason why you're saying that is because you're jealous he likes me better! Says David. Don't be ridiculous, orders Carolyn--what possible difference could that make to me--if you want to know, he gave me a much more valuable present than a picture. I don't believe you, says David--what did he give you? She smiles and says none of your business. Where is it? he asks. Put away where you can't find it, she says--you'd probably steal that, too. I wouldn't, either! says David--and it isn't stealing when you just borrow something to look at it for a while--I was going to give it back to him, but he was still going to tell me to keep it! I have no intention of discussing Burke with you or anyone else, she insists. Then why are you making such a big fuss about the picture? He asks. I think it was wrong of you to take it from him, she says. Then it was wrong of you to take it from me! he says. She drops it on the desk and orders him to take it back. David takes the picture and says anyway, he thinks Burke likes Miss Winters best. This pisses Carolyn off. What do you know about that? asks Carolyn. I can tell, says David--he doesn't have to say so--we understand each other. He must have said something, insists Carolyn--oh, you're making that up, anyway. I thought you didn't want to talk about him, says David. I don't, she says, then sighs--what did he say? Nothing, says David. Matthew tells them the drawer is fixed, then adds that maybe it isn't his place to say it, but you two ought to be ashamed--arguing over a man who's doing his best to destroy Collinwood. We were not arguing over him, says Carolyn. Anyway, she started it, says David, she accused me of stealing that picture! You shouldn't have it, anyway! says Carolyn. If Burke gave it to me, says David. Leave Burke out of this, Carolyn orders. How can you leave Burke out of this? demands David--he's the most important thing there is!. David and Carolyn stare hatefully at each other as Matthew leaves the room.

Matthew comes downstairs and knocks at the drawing room doors. Liz tells him to come in. He tells her that David and Carolyn are arguing--again--what he doesn't like is that it's Burke's they're arguing about--if you ask me, I think it's part of his plan to set one family member against another--and I don't think there's anything he wouldn't do to get his way. I suppose he has been deliberately trying to win David over, agrees Liz--and of course it would account for his being so attentive to Carolyn. Even giving her presents, tattles Matthew. What presents? Asks Liz. She didn't say, says Matthew, but she shouldn't take presents from him, knowing what he's after. Liz thanks him--I'll see what I can do. He leaves.
She picks up the newspaper, then drops it on the table. Carolyn and David come downstairs. Please tell Carolyn to stop going through my things! David tells his aunt--she's messing everything up. It wasn't anything like that, says Carolyn. She's lying! accuses David. I am not lying! his cousin retorts, getting in his face. You're a liar and a thief! Says David. Stop it, orders Liz, now tell me, one at a time--what is it, David? She came into my room and started looking for something! he says. For what? she asks. Tell her for what? says Carolyn. I had a picture of Burke that she tried to take away from me, says David. I was looking to see if he had any other mementos hidden away, says Carolyn. Why didn't you ask him? says Liz. I should have, agrees Carolyn--I'm sorry--I apologize, David. Her cousin looks mollified. You apologize to Carolyn, says Liz. What for?--just because Burke gave me a picture! Says David. I don't want you to mention his name in this house again, is that clear? Commands Liz. Yes, says David. You can go to your room, says Liz. Looking stricken, the boy does so, looking back angrily at his aunt and saying "Burke Devlin" three times in a row.

NOTES: David and Carolyn are both infatuated with Burke, and it's leading to dissension in the ranks of the family. Is this part of his master plan?

Matthew is upset that both of the kids like Burke so much, perhaps even more than Liz, to whom he is steadfastly loyal. He would do ANYTHING for her, and I bet he'd murder for her, too.

Typical cousinly arguing, but it's more normal than David trying to kill a family member, anyway. He thinks Mrs. Johnson is being hired as his jailer--does he think he needs one?

We get some insight into Liz' missing husband, Paul--apparently very charming, devious and. . .? She doesn't want to talk about him, but she should, at least with Carolyn--he's the girl's father, after all.

Episode #78 - In Collinwood, this great and gloomy house perched in Widows' Hill, life goes on as usual, and so does death, with the doubts and fears that accompany it--especially when it is a death that has not been fully explained.

Sam calls Roger, who answers the phone in his bathrobe. The report is official, as far as I'm concerned, says Roger--it's final--I don't care what Devlin might think--there's nothing he can do about it now--what do we have to talk about?--I see...all right, but I certainly don't want it to look as though--no, I don't want to come there, and I don't want to risk being seen going to- your house--the Blue Whale?--that might be possible--what time would you be there--don't make it look like a planned meeting--I don't want to discuss it over the phone--I'll see you at the Blue Whale.

Roger stands in the foyer for a moment and Vicki enters from the kitchen, saying she was going to the library to get a book. You do read a lot, don't you? he asks. I suppose I do, she says, there isn't much else to do here. And you get bored, I keep forgetting that, he says--it's my fault, I keep making these elaborate plans to take you out, then it just ends up being talk. I wasn't hinting, she says. How about now? he asks--no time like the present--how long would it take you to get ready? Ready for what? she asks. Nothing fancy, he says, but we have an establishment called the Blue Whale. I've been to it, she says. Oh? he asks, with who? With...someone I know, she says. Someone you'd just as soon I knew nothing about, says Roger, Vicki Winters, you are becoming a woman of mystery. That was very silly of me, she says--I went there with Burke Devlin. Burke? he asks, what for? He had a report on me, so I was very anxious to read it, she says. He had a report on you?--whatever for? asks Roger.
I suppose he wanted to know my connection with Collinwood, says Vicki. He's thorough, at any rate, says Roger. It didn't do him much good, says Vicki--much to my sorrow, there wasn't anything in it--I'd hoped to learn something about myself. what? he asks--you go up and get ready and when you come down, I'll tell you all about yourself. Really? she asks with a huge grin. Yes, he says, that you have one of the most beguiling smiles on the prettiest young face I ever did see. He pats her cheek. That sounds very nice, she says--I'll be down in a moment. She goes upstairs and he checks his watch, then enters the drawing room.

Blue Whale - Music plays on the juke as a regular drops in a quarter and snaps his fingers as he walks back to his table. Maggie sits at a table with her father, remarking that this is the first time in a long time she's ever seen him take a drink and look as if he really enjoys it. It's the first time since... begins Sam. Since Burke Devlin came back to Collinsport, finishes Maggie. Yeah, I guess you're right, he says, smoking, but since the coroner decided poor Malloy died accidentally, people aren't going around suspecting other people of having a hand in it. Nobody in his right mind could think you had anything to do with it, says Maggie. You know that, says, Sam, and so do I, but who can tell what others are thinking? You just tell me who, teases Maggie, and I'll put a hex on him (nah--leave that to Angelique!) Sam laughs and says when she has that look in her eye, he believes she could do just that. Joe enters the bar and Maggie gazes at him--there's a sad sack if I ever saw one, she says, eyeing him as he sits down at the bar. Joe Haskell, says Sam. He's the most alone man I've ever seen, she says--go ask him to join us, Pop. Why not? agrees Sam, and heads over to invite Joe to sit at their table. Maggie gazes at the young man with great interest as he comes over and thanks her for saving his life. What happened, did you get stood up? asks Maggie. Yeah, says Joe, I thought I had a dinner date, the lady thought otherwise. It happens in the best of families, says Maggie, Oh, believe me, says Joe, this is THE best family in Collinsport, anyway. It is faintly possible you're referring to the Collins family of Collinsport, says Sam mockingly. It's possible, agrees Joe. Fine, then let's drink to the Collins family of Collinsport, suggests Maggie, and they do. In a way, it's my fault, says Joe, Carolyn got this brainstorm earlier today and wanted me to drive her out to the beach. I wish somebody has asked me, says Maggie--I'd have gone like a shot. You mean you didn't jump when you were commanded by the Collins family of Collinsport? asks Sam. They drink to it again. I see I got this silly notion there's this job I'm supposed to be working at, says Joe. Sam pats him on the back, saying, "That's integrity, man." Maggie says speaking of jobs, who's going to get Malloy's job--you? Me? asks Joe, I'm about 86th in line for his job. He rubs his eyes. You've got one thing in your favor they haven't, says Sam--Carolyn--and she is a member of the Collins family of Collinsport. They drink again. That reminds me, says Joe, I should call up there again. He leaves the table.
He's a nice lad, says Sam. Yes, he is, agrees Maggie, a gleam in her eye. Sam touches her arm and says here, now, you aren't thinking of... No harm in thinking, is there? she asks. I wouldn't want to see you get hurt, says Sam. She smiles at him, probably thinking how nice Joe's butt looks in his pants.

Vicki hears the phone and runs downstairs to get it. It's Joe, asking for Carolyn, but she went out for a drive, says Vicki, and didn't say where she was going. DO you think she was still sore at me about this afternoon? asks Joe. She didn't say anything about that, says Vicki--I'm afraid I'm not being any help to you at all. When you see her, tell her I called, will you? asks Joe. I will--bye-bye, says Vicki. They hang up. Joe, dejected, returns to the table. No luck? Asks Maggie. No, she wasn't there, says Joe. Sam pats him on the back and says you know, if all you think about it Caroline, if you think much about her, you'll get her out of Collinwood. How, easier said than done? asks Joe. You want to watch her grow old gracefully the way her mother did in that mausoleum? Asks Sam. Certainly not, says Joe. Then you'd better do something about it, says Sam, or that's just what's going to happen. Maggie grins and tells Joe to change his tactics--try something new. Maybe what I should really try is a new girl, says Joe, and Maggie bites her lip. You want to dance? Joe asks her. Me? asks Maggie. Not your father, says Joe. I'd love to! says Maggie. Tonight we'll forget all about the Collins family of Collinsport, announces Joe, and Sam drinks to that but still looks a bit wary after they leave the table.
Joe takes Maggie in his arms and they dance. Maggie leans in close, happy to be in Joe's arms.

Foyer - Vicki checks her face in a very large compact mirror, applying powder. Come, come, I call that gilding the lily, teases Roger. I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be, says Vicki. Did I hear the phone a moment ago? asks Joe. Yes, it was Joe Haskell, says Vicki. Good old Joe Haskell, says Roger, every faithful. He's awfully nice, agrees Vicki, and certainly attentive to her. Why shouldn't he be? asks Roger--how else can he become more than just a fisherman? And what's wrong with being a fisherman? Asks Vicki. Nothing, he says, I didn't mean to sound like a snob. Is it any worse than being just a governess? asks Vicki. I see I've touched a sore spot, says Roger--my sincere apologizes. He helps her into her coat and says she deserves a gold medal for the progress she's made with David--but in lieu of a medal, they'll have something to eat, something to drink, a little music, a little dancing, but above all, they must forget all their worried for the evening--agreed? Agreed! she says. He offers her his arm and they leave the house together.

On the dance floor, Maggie is reminding Joe of his glory days on the football field, when he intercepted that pass in the last minute of the game--you ran 65 yards for a touchdown! She says. You were there? he asks. Who do you think was leading all the cheers? She tells him--of course I was there. You know the final score, he says. OK, she say, so we lost, 35-6--you still scored the six points, didn't you? I sure did, he says, and it's probably the last time I ever scored in my life. The dance ends and they return to the table, where Maggie asks her father if he ever played football. In my time, he says gravely, my day, it was a game, not a profession, I never had time for games. Sometimes I think your whole life has been a big game, says Maggie. Until recently, says Sam, sipping his drink. Come on, says Maggie, the man is going to start thinking about the Collins of Collinsport--everyone raises their glasses and drinks. Vicki and Roger enter, and Maggie says, speaking of that... Roger holds out a chair for Vicki at what he calls "absolutely the best seat in the house." She unbuttons her coat and thanks him, sitting down. That's something new, isn't it? asks Joe. Yeah, agrees Maggie, I didn't know they were that close. Sam says maybe they should ask them to join them, No, Maggie starts to say, then amends--never mind what I thought. Tell you the truth, there is something I'd like to ask Collins, says Sam, and this seems as good a time as any. Tonight we weren't going to have any worries! Maggie reminds him. This will only take a minute, he assures her, rising from his seat. He goes over to Roger's table. Wait until you try the sea bass, says Roger to Vicki, best in the... Sam interrupts, saying he thought they might like to join them. Really, complains Roger, it's taken me all this time to get Vicki out on the town and you want to break up out tete a tete. There's something I have to say to you, privately, says Sam. Vicki assures Roger she doesn't mind--she'll join Maggie and Joe. If it would please you, says Roger, I'll join you in minute. Good, says Vicki. Sam joins Roger and asks if he's heard anything from Burke since the coroner's report. Plenty, says Roger, but why should it concern you? I think it was you that pointed out that anything that concerns you concerns me, says Sam--your expression, to be exact, was that I was in it up to my neck. That is true, of course, says Roger. I have a very high regard for my neck, says Sam. You remember Burke said there were only two people who could profit from Malloy's death, says Roger--you and me. Yes, says Sam, and since I knew I hadn't been involved, naturally, I thought you had--I suppose that makes you angry? No, says Roger, because I thought exactly the same of you. Then the coroner's findings should have relieved your mind, huh? asks Sam. It should have relieved Burke's too, says Roger, but it didn't. You don't still think I had anything to do with it, do you? asks Sam--even Burke is satisfied I didn't. I suppose if he's satisfied, I should be, says Roger, but somehow I'm not--the thing that worries me is if Bill Malloy was able to get information out of you, it should be the easiest thing in the world for a man like Burke. Looking around, Sam assures Roger he's learned to keep his mouth shut. You have to learn to keep it shut when someone offers you a drink, says Roger. All right, says Sam, but not necessarily now--I could use one. He starts to leave the table, but Roger tells him there's something else he wants to ask him, and Sam sits down--sometime ago, you made sure I knew of the existence of a letter you wrote--do you realize what a dangerous thing a letter is? Dangerous for whom? asks Sam..

At the other table, Joe asks Vicki if Carolyn mentioned anything about their date tonight. No, she just said she was going for a drive, says Vicki--she had something on her mind, though, I know that. What's this I hear about Mrs. Stoddard hiring a housekeeper? Asks Maggie. Yes, says Joe, they haven't had any help up there since I can remember. It's true, says Vicki--she's going to hire Mrs. Johnson, who was Bill Malloy's housekeeper. I don't know why, but that woman gives me the creeps, says Maggie. I think it's a very nice gesture on Mrs. Stoddard's part, says Vicki. She's not going to take your job, is she? Maggie asks Vicki. No, says Vicki--at least I think not!--Mrs. Stoddard's been awfully nice to me--although she and Carolyn are a bit alike in some ways--never know from one minute to the next what kind of mood they'll be in. Don't I know that, agrees Joe. Is Carolyn changeable to you, too? asks Maggie. We've had our fights, admits Vicki. About what? asks Maggie. Nothing important, replies Vicki. Oh, says Maggie, I'll be she's jealous of you because Burke seems to like you. You're on old ground, says Joe--Carolyn's not fascinated by Burke Devlin anymore. He's right, says Vicki. Joe Haskell, says Maggie, you're sweet, but you're a dope. Maybe I'm not wanted here anymore, says Joe, rising from his chair. Vicki takes his arm and says of course he is. Sit down and behave yourself! orders Maggie--he raises his glass to his lips, but she says, hey, you forgot--the Collins family of Collinsport.
He and Maggie toast and drink as Vicki looks perplexed--and Maggie gazes at Joe over the rim of her glass.

You said you wrote everything down in this letter, says Roger, draining his glass--about the accident that sent Burke to prison. I did, says Sam. What if it should fall into the wrong hands? asks Roger. It can't, unless something happens to me, says Sam. Nothing is going to happen to you, says Roger. I know, says Sam, not as long as the letter exists. Are you using this as protection against me? asks Roger.
I won't say against whom, says Sam, it's just protection--maybe if Malloy had written everything down, he wouldn't be dead now. You can answer that better than I can, says Roger. I swear to you, I had nothing to do with Malloy's death, insists Sam. And I swear to you that I had nothing to do with it, says Roger. Just the same, says Sam, my insurance is going to be kept in a safe place. I've had quite enough of this stupid conversation! Says Roger, rising from the table. Sam goes to the bar to order another drink. Roger goes to collect Vicki, and tells Joe not to get up, he and Miss Winters were just leaving--I'm sorry, he says, I just developed a splitting headache. Oh, I'm sorry, says Vicki. I hate to tear you away from such fascinating company, says Roger. That's all right, Vicki assures him. No doubt, he says to Joe, you were discussing the price of fish, or (to Maggie) the price of hash? Roger! chides Vicki. (Snobby Roger!) Roger apologizes and says he's sorry, he had a headache. Joe stands and says that a headache doesn't give him the right to insult Maggie. Aren't you forgetting yourself, Haskell? Asks Roger. Maybe I'm just remembering, says Joe. Just forget it, it doesn't matter, says Maggie. I think it does matter, says Joe. I have already apologized! Says Roger. Your apology was worse than the statement you made, says Joe angrily. Don't presume to teach me manners, young man! orders Roger. Somebody should! Says Joe. Vicki softly suggests they go, and Roger agrees--I don't enjoy gutter brawling. He slides an arm around her waist. Then why don't you get up out of the gutter? shouts Joe. Now listen, says Roger. Sam comes over, arms held out placatingly, asking what this is all about. Nothing, Pop, this doesn't concern you, says Maggie. I think it concerns all of us! says Joe. I said forget it, Maggie tells Joe. Roger, please let's go, pleads Vicki--good night. Roger and Vicki leave. Sam asks if Roger was being his usual charming self. Shooting his mouth off, says Joe. He has a habit of doing that, agrees Sam. Someone is going to break his jaw one of these days, Joe says. Hey, you're talking about your girlfriend's uncle, Maggie reminds him--and don't forget, the Collins of Collinsport--and she and Joe cling glasses and drink. Sam looks unhappy.

Upon their return to Collinwood, Vicki thanks Roger for giving her a chance to get out of the house--it was nice. In spite of the unpleasantness we ran into? He asks her. In spite of everything, she assures him---How's your headache? she asks. It has miraculously disappeared, he says, but to ensure that it doesn't return, I'm going into the drawing room and have a nightcap--join me? Thanks for the offer, she says, but I'm a little tired. Roger suggests that they try this again--maybe better luck next time. That sounds lovely, she says, if Mrs. Sotddard does hire a housekeeper, I'll have a lot more free time. What? asks Roger--my sister hire a housekeeper?--where did you get that idea? From her, says Vicki, she's seriously thinking about it. that's strange, he says. And I have a hunch Mrs. Johnson is going to jump at the chance, predicts Vicki. Who? asks Roger. Mrs. Johnson, Bill Malloy's housekeeper, says Vicki--good night, and thank you very much. Roger looks thoughtful, and not at all pleased.

NOTES: I really did enjoy this episode. The yapping and flirting at the Blue Whale was fun to see, different from what comes later. Love the Collins family of Collinsport drinking game! That was hilarious! Also couldn't help noticing that Maggie definitely has her eye on Carolyn's man. On the other hand, Carolyn doesn't really seem to want Joe, and I can't blame Maggie for attempting to move in.

And what's with Roger and Vicki? Not only does he seem fascinated by her company, she seems rather interested in him, too. Accepting a dinner invitation from the son of your employer strikes me as pooping where you eat, so to speak, but that's me. I don't think Vicki should be dating Roger.

So Sam was sure Roger offed Bill, and Roger was sure Sam did. Neither of them did, or so they claim, so who did--or was it truly accidental?

Roger is truly a snob. Why did he have to make those remarks to Joe and Maggie? Bad Roger!

Poor Vicki never got anything to eat. Do you think he at least stopped by McDonald's on the way back to the mansion? All she had was booze at the Blue Whale!

Have a great week!

Love, Robin