Author Topic: Scam involving Microsoft  (Read 981 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Scam involving Microsoft
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
Monday evening I had a phone call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft Technical Support. He said that my Internet connection was showing errors and that they had been following it for a couple of weeks.

That already sounded suspicious. I don’t know if they get that kind of info from our computers or not. Also, I haven’t had any problems.

He told me to go to the computer and he would explain. I said he should call on my other phone line, which is by the computer, but that I was in the midst of dinner, could he call back in half an hour?

I was still suspicious and wasn’t going to actually do anything he told me to, just write down the instructions or ask him to e-mail them. I was then going to ask the technician who set up my computer last year. He never called.

Today I decided to call Microsoft to see if a call like that could be for real. I couldn’t imagine what anyone would have to gain by doing that. The person I spoke with gave me an example of what had happened to someone else with a call like that. She let the person take control of her computer, and apparently a virus or something was installed on it, AND she was charged $139!! He also said that if it had been a legitimate problem, the charge from Microsoft would have been less than that.

Anyway, apparently scams like that are going around, so I thought I’d alert everyone.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Scam involving Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Josette.  [hall2_smiley]

Not only do they install a virus, but they charge $139 to do it. Unbelievable! But then, some people have no shame.  [hall2_rolleyes]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
That sounds in league with the message I have on my screen: "You may be a victim of software conterfeiting". Whe you click on it, it brings you to Microsoft's website with an offer to update your Windows program. And it ain't free. We were looking at this last night at work. It appears to only affect XP users.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 06:30:13 AM »
He did call back this afternoon. He led me to the events manager which shows a list of more than 6,000 errors. I told him I didn't have time to take care of it then, could I call back sometime. I then called the technician who set up my computer last year and he assured me that the list of errors wasn't anything to be concerned about.

He said sometimes he'll keep them on the line for about 15 minutes while he's doing other things. Then he hangs up. When they call back and say they were disconnected, he says, what are you talking about? I just came in. No one was here. He figures if they can waste his time, he can waste theirs.

Later, I realized that since he did give me a phone number (which he said was his), perhaps this one can be caught. I'm going to call Microsoft again and maybe the local police and tell them about it.
Josette

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:34:50 AM »
i get these phonecalls every once in a while too. best thing to do is hang up.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 11:21:45 PM »
I was coming on to ask a Windows question (sorry MB).

I see the commercials for Windows 8;  when we just bought our new computer @ Christmas, it had the 'new' Win 7.

When I went to C-Net (thansk MB) :

If you have XP or lower, then you will NEED to upgrade to Microsoft 8......BUT...it will be THE ONLY MORE/ADDITIONAL update on your Microsoft.

But for me (and other Microsoft 7 users), they want you to upgrade to Microsoft 9!!!!

I didn't finish reading the tech aspects of the article...will something like this be free to me? And, in this day & age, do I 'back up' my Microsoft 7 and EVERYTHING ELSE ON MY COMPUTER INCLUDING MICROSFT OFFICE WHICH I HAD TO PAY ADD'L $120 FOR on zipdrives?

[8_1_209]

Help!

Patti
What a Woman!