Author Topic: Robservations 5/19/03 - #944-945  (Read 1132 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 5/19/03 - #944-945
« on: May 19, 2003, 05:04:34 AM »
944 - The werewolf tries reaching for the moon poppy, and even breaks off the flower. He starts to draw it to his mouth, but at the last moment destroys it, tipping over a couple of pieces of furniture along the way.  It leaves the cottage.

Antique shop - On the phone, Jeb accuses Maggie of "copping out" (a fave slang term back then) in getting Barnabas to reveal where Carolyn is--keep on him, orders Jeb--is that clear?--it had better be! Bruno brings the angry Jeb greetings from Portland, a charming city. Glad you think so, grumbles Jeb. What's the matter? asks Bruno, didn't Barnabas believe Maggie had a long-lost aunt there? I don't know if he did or didn't, says Jeb--he wouldn't tell her where Carolyn is. She will, says Bruno, give the girl time. I want Carolyn NOW, pouts Jeb.  Bruno laughs--now or later, it's all the same.
With me and Carolyn it's now, says Jeb.  I never met a girl who could matter that much, says Bruno, hanging up his fur jacket--with me, it's always now or later. A wolf howls, Jeb. You're not listening to me, says Bruno--what's the matter? I was just remembering a poem, says Jeb--even if a man is pure at heart and says his prayers at night, he can become a werewolf when the wolfbane blooms and the moon is full and bright. What made you think of that all of a sudden? Asks Bruno.  There's a werewolf out there!--it howls--don't you hear it? asks Jeb, his face twisted in fear. I hear a dog, shrugs Bruno. Not a dog, you stupid, it's a wolf, a werewolf, says Jeb. Bruno doesn't believe it. You'd better believe it, Jeb, and do exactly as I tell you--the most dangerous of creatures, the only ones we couldn't tame--they were more ruthless and cunning than we were--they were the enemy, and we tried to drive them out, kill as many as we could, but there was always one left, and it was always howling...!  Jeb covers his ears--I can't stand that sound, stop it!

Barnabas picks up the remnants of the moon poppy, realizing Chris couldn't eat it--the human part of him submerged too quickly, and the animal could only destroy.
Sabrina enters, sees the flower in Barnabas' hand and screams in misery, taking the ruined petals into her own. Barnabas tries to comfort her, re-introducing himself--I'm trying to help Chris, too, he says. Nothing can help him now, she sobs. Don't think that way, says Barnabas. What other way is there to think? she asks bitterly--he's going to be killed tonight, I know it. You only fear it, amends Barn. No, she says, staring down at the flower, I know it, he will be killed as surely as this flower is destroyed, and it will be my fault--if I hadn't brought the flower, he wouldn't have stayed here by himself--he wouldn't have been able to get out into the woods where someone could get him! Barnabas assures her--he's gone out there before, he'll come back alive.  Not this time, she moans, I wish there was some way to tell him I only wanted to help--I wish I were in the woods with him now. Even if you were, you couldn't make him understand, says Barnabas--tomorrow. No, tonight, insists Sabrina, it's the only way I can save him. You're frightened, upset, saying things that make no sense, insists Barnabas. They do make sense, she says, I don't know why, but they do--I am the one person he won't hurt, or kill--he didn't kill me before, and won't now--that's why I must go to him. You're going home, says Barnabas, and I'm taking you there!  No, she cries. Then I'm giving you some brandy (?) because we must talk about it! he says.  There's nothing more to say, says Sabrina. There's a great deal more to say, insists Barn, pouring a brandy, because when Chris is himself again, the desire you have to help him will mean the only thing...he turns and sees she has gone. Come back! he calls out to her--you can't go into the woods alone--but she doesn't respond.  He heads into the woods to find her, still screaming her name.

The werewolf prowls the woods, searching for a victim.

Barnabas searches the woods for Sabrina, calling, answer if you can hear me!--you must! There's no sign of her, but she must be someplace, figures Barnabas--perhaps I'll get some of the Collinwood servants to help...  (Good luck finding them.)

Jeb covers his ears against the howling of the werewolf. Bruno assures him the creature has gone off somewhere else, but Jeb knows he'll be back. When he comes back, I'll be ready for him, says Bruno, drawing out a gun--just like I'll take care of all your enemies. (toady!)  What's that for? asks Jeb. It's best to kill, says Bruno. That won't do you any good, says Jeb, silver is needed, he isn't like any other of our enemies. We'll see what happens when he faces my gun, brags Bruno. It won't do you any good! insists Jeb.  I've got to go, says Bruno, if only to prove to you I don't talk--I do what has to be done, no matter how dangerous. The werewolf howls.  Jeb, like a scared child, covers his ears.

Barnabas returns to Collinwood. The phone rings, he answers. It's Angelique--I'm glad I found you there, she says--I must see you, come to the island immediately--I won't discuss it on the phone. You must! he insists.  Angelique refuses. Is Carolyn all right? he asks. I won't tell you anything, she says, until you're here--now come as quickly as you can. Dressed in black, her hair long and becoming, Angelique gazes at her old portrait.

Barnabas wonders why Angelique wouldn't tell him anything--must be a way of finding out something. Yes, there is--and he exits, leaving the door open.

Sabrina stands in the woods, listening to the howls of the wolf. It sounds so far away, she muses to herself, but it proves he's still alive--she smiles--Chris, you've got to stay alive until I come to help you, find you.

Jeb sits on the steps in the antique shop, covering his ears like a kid during a thunderstorm. When the sound subsides, he cautiously looks out the window. Barnabas enters and asks Jeb, are you going somewhere? No, I was just listening to the night, responds Jeb. It's a beautiful night, the moon so full and clear, says Barnabas. Jeb agrees, but--it would be a beautiful night if I had Carolyn. You'll have her at the proper time, says Barnabas. Angry, Jeb says, I don't think I'm going to make it to the proper time. The time of the Leviathans is a long time in coming, says Barnabas. Don't give me that stuff, says Jeb--how do those people who lived so long ago know how I feel about Carolyn now--and I want her now! Her mother wouldn't have taken her away unless she needed the rest, points out Barnabas. Her mother wouldn't have taken her away if you hadn't told her to, corrects Jeb. We're on the same side and it would be better if we didn't quarrel, says Barn. Are we on the same side? asks Jeb. YES, says Barn, excuse me--I'm going home. Prove we're on the same side before you go, insists Jeb--tell me about the werewolf. There's no such thing, says Barnabas. Don't tell me there's no such thing, says Jeb--such ignorance doesn't become a man of your history--you know there's a werewolf, and you know he's here.  There has been talk of a strange animal in the woods, admits Barnabas, but it's hard to tell in a village like this what is legend and what isn't. There's a werewolf here, insists Jeb, and he senses I'm here. I didn't know the werewolf was your enemy, says Barnabas. Now you do, says Jeb--listen more closely to the legends--I must find out where he is, who he is--and kill him before he kills me! cries Jeb, looking as if he's about to cry. Uh oh, thinks Barnabas.

Sabrina hears leaves crunching in the woods and calls to Chris--is that you? she asks.  It is the werewolf, and it comes toward Sabrina, who screams. No, I didn't mean to scream, she says, I won't scream or run away, I want to help you.
The werewolf moves in closer...

Sabrina faces down the werewolf, who moves toward her. Bruno leaps in; man and beast battle each together.  Bruno pumps a bullet into the werewolf, who runs off.  You're all right, Bruno assures Sabrina--he's gone. Sabrina sinks to her knees, sobbing no. He doesn't understand her reaction--you had a bad scare, but I saved you. "Why didn't you leave me alone?" she wails. I don't get it, he says--the werewolf would have killed you. He wouldn't have hurt me, insists Sabrina, crying.

Angelique takes a drink while she awaits her first husband. She puts down the glass at the sound of the doorbell. Barnabas' first question when she lets him in is, "Where's Carolyn?" She and her mother are both sleeping, reports Ang. What's the matter? he asks. Nothing with them, plenty with me, she says sharply. She leads him into the living room and says, my life as Angelique Rumson is terribly important to me, especially Sky--I couldn't bear it if I lost him--"I WON'T lose him!"  I know that, says Barnabas. Then you must know that you must get Carolyn and Elizabeth out of here, insists Angelique. You said they could stay here as long as he was away! Barnabas reminds her. They can stay even longer as far as Sky is concerned, she says when I told him we had houseguests, he said they could stay here as long as they wished. Did you tell him who they are? asks Barnabas.  Yes, and he was very generous about it, says Angelique--he's a very kind and generous man--but I am NOT so generous, and I won't give up my happiness to help anyone. But if he approves...? asks Barn. Listen to me, says Ang, last night, Liz was looking at me very intently, and insisted I reminded her of someone. Carolyn suggested perhaps Liz had seen me in some magazine.
Did she accept that? asks Barn. Yes, says Ang, she did, for the moment, but how much longer will it be before she recognizes me as Cassandra, who was married to her brother?--how much longer before I make a slip and reveal too much knowledge of the Collins family--and I won't just be revealing myself to Elizabeth, but a dedicated member of the Leviathans, and then we are all lost!  Liz is a dedicated member, agrees Barn, but I'm her leader, and she will do exactly as I say. Will she? questions Ang--will she even if Jeb tells her to do otherwise? She will do nothing to hurt Carolyn, that I know! says Barn passionately. Well you know a lot more than I do! says Ang--and you're a lot more confident that nothing will happen--if something does happen here...there's nothing more I can say, if Sky finds out about me, I'm completely lost!  Barnabas turns to her.  All right, he says gently, I'll take them away.  Thank you, she says fervently. Tomorrow, he promises. Now, insists Angelique. No, the danger to Carolyn is worse than ever, warns Barnabas--I'll come by tomorrow to take them away! All right, she agrees, but until then, I'M the one in danger--remember, if you fail to keep your promise...  I won't fail, he assures her, sounding totally exhausted.

Jeb sits in the dark antique shop. Bruno enters--there IS a werewolf, he reports--I saw him and shot him at close range--he ran off into the woods, badly wounded. But not dead--I told you you've got to use a silver bullet, says Jeb.  Next time, says Bruno, I'll get silver bullets, because next time the moon is full, I'll be right there, with him--because tonight I found a girl who wasn't afraid of the werewolf, who said she could control him! This excites Jeb. That girl must know him very well, says Bruno, so that girl is going to lead us to him, next time the moon is full--her name is Sabrina Stuart, she lives at the Inn with her brother--I took her home. Did you meet the brother? asks Jeb.  No, she said he was away for the night, says Bruno. (Ned on a date?--doubtful!)  Jeb wonders if that means....  (That her brother is the werewolf? Ned is definitely a pawer, but not a werewolf.)  I don't know, says Bruno, perhaps I should take care of him right away, just on the chance he...  No, says Jeb, don't be a fool--if you kill him in human form, it will turn him into an animal forever, and that's just what he'd like, so he can haunt me always and howl always. If it bothers you that much, says Bruno, I'll go take care of him now--remember, "You've got Bruno!" (LOL!) He leaves.  Jeb starts heading upstairs. The phone rings and he answers it. It's someone looking for him, someone with news about Carolyn Stoddard, oh, yes. Isn't that a coincidence? muses Jeb--Little Windward Island. No, tomorrow won't do, he says, grinning--it will be too late--it must be tonight, you understand? Listen very carefully--the ceremony must take place there, on Little Windward Island, and this is what I want you to do...

NOTES: Oh, no, Angelique was right, everything is going to come tumbling down around their ears now that someone has ratted out Carolyn. Who is it?

The scene between Angelique and Barnabas was excellent, as most of their scenes are. He could have refused to help her, I guess, thinking back on their past relationship and how often she stabbed him in the back, but he agreed to get Carolyn and Liz out of her home--perhaps a bit too late, something neither of them know yet.

I don't LIKE Sabrina, and I keep hoping the werewolf will just get rid of her. She annoys me more than Amanda did, and that's saying a lot. I do love the way she wants to help her man, but ewww, she just grosses me out, especially her mouth!

Bruno is just a toady killing machine for Jeb.  He doesn't even have Aristede's class.

It was fun to see Jeb afraid, cringing on the staircase like a little boy afraid of the dark. It's good to see his brassiness, his superior attitude, knocked down a few pegs.

945 - In Angelique's luxurious home on Little Windward Island, Carolyn stares into the fire, then goes over to gaze out the window. Liz sits in a chair. Angelique enters--would either of you like something before I send the servants back to the mainland? she asks her guests. Both ladies refuse.  Ang leaves the room. Liz, disturbed, goes over and asks Carolyn, what's the matter--you haven't spoken for over an hour.  When are we going back to Collinwood? asks Carolyn. When I feel you're completely recovered, answers Liz. Recovered from what? demands Carolyn--you make it sound as if I had some sort of disease. You gave us a terrible scare, says Liz, you can't deny you needed this rest. Carolyn agrees--but now I feel fine. Then we won't have to stay much longer, says Liz. Carolyn stares at her, and says, once or twice I had the feeling we left because YOU wanted to get away from Collinwood--you've changed lately--you don't smile as much as you used to, and something about your eyes...  It's your imagination, Liz--certainly, my concern for you hasn't changed. (And she looks more Leviathan than mother.)

The servants are gone, Angelique reports to Liz and Carolyn--we're alone together until Sky returns. How did you and your husband find this place? queries Liz.  Sky owned it before I met him, says Ang--he persuaded me to come live here. You mean you had to be persuaded? asks Liz, surprised. I had grown accustomed to city life, says Anf, where I met Sky, and wasn't sure I could exist in the solitude and isolation of this place. Have you? Liz asks. Yes, says Ang, and have never been happier.
How did you meet Barnabas? asks Liz. Carolyn turns to hear this response, too. I was a model in England, says Ang, I met Barnabas at a party--after he came back to this country, he got in touch with me--we've been corresponding ever since (cool lie).  I see, says Liz--I can't get over the feeling I have met you somewhere before. Yes, you mentioned that before, says Ang, but I'm sure it's just someone who reminds you of me. The phone rings. Ang answers--it's Sky, who says, I'm at the little airport near Logansport--I want you to pick me up there--I made three phone calls on a big deal and I have to stay here to get the return calls. Can't you change the calls to here? asks Ang.  I'm afraid I might end up missing all of them, says Sky--in any case, I'd miss my last chance for a ride home after I finish talking to them. Ang promises to come get him, then hangs up--I'm sorry, Mrs. Stoddard--my husband is impulsive; I must go all the way to Logansport, and it will be several hours before I can get back. Don't worry, says Carolyn--we'll be fine. You're very understanding, says Anf--you know where everything is, so just make yourselves at home. She exits. Liz remarks to Carolyn how demanding Angelique's husband is--she must be very devoted to him.  Why were you so inquisitive with her? asks Carolyn.  I didn't mean to be, says Liz.  The phone rings, Liz answers--it's Jeb. He introduces himself to her.  I know who you are, of course, says Liz.  Return to Collinwood immediately--alone, says Jeb. I can't, says Liz.  Barnabas and I need you back in Collinsport, says Jeb, something has happened--there's no time for explanations; you won't tell anyone there "Mrs. Johnson" called. Liz understands--I will leave in half an hour, she promises.  You'll get further instructions when you get to Collinwood, says Jeb. "I'll be there, Mrs. Johnson," says Liz.   Is something wrong? asks Carolyn.  Mrs. Johnson called to remind me of some papers that must be signed by 9 AM tomorrow, says Liz, dreamy-eyed--I have to go back and tend to them.

Antique shop - Jeb admires a black and white photo of Carolyn.  Soon, he says, you will see me as I really am. He enters his "transformation" room breathing heavily as he morphs into his real Leviathan self.

Dressed to leave, Liz assures Carolyn, I'll get back ASAP. I wish I were going with you, says Carolyn.  So do I, answers Liz, but we've accepted Angelique's hospitality and can't just leave without an explanation. Carolyn is cool with that. Angelique will only be gone an hour, Liz says, so you won't be alone long. I'll be fine, Carolyn assures her.  I'll call you from Collinwood to check on you, says Liz.  They kiss goodnight; Liz leaves. Carolyn looks out the window and watches her mother's departing car. There's rustling in the bushes. It begins to storm. Carolyn picks up a book and sits down to read it, right near the fire. I can't stop thinking about Jeb, she muses, even though I barely know him--what happened to me in the antique shop the other night, why did I faint?--I don't understand any of it, or maybe I'm afraid to. She pours herself a cup of something. A painting suddenly falls from the wall, causing her to drop her cup with a gasp. She kneels to pick up the painting and places it on a table, then gathers up broken pieces of the cup. The door blows open. Carolyn, frightened, goes to close it, looking out into the night first. There's more rustling in the bushes. Carolyn sits back down in the chair and attempts to read the book. The phone rings, startling her. She answers it, shaking, and tells the caller, Mr. Rumson isn't here, I'm a guest--might I take a message? It's Mr. Cartwright (Ben?); Carolyn assures him, I'll give Sky the message. Hearing footsteps, Carolyn calls out "Hello?" The lights go off, she screams.  She tries the light switch, to no avail. She hears the sound of shattering glass and stands there, rooted, terrified. With a shriek, she covers her head with her hands and runs from the room. She races to her bedroom, feeling for her bed in the dark. She clings to the bedpost, then hears footsteps again, and a slamming door. She listens at her door and hears music, then leaves her room and sees a moving shadow behind a pair of double doors. Please answer! she begs whoever it is, and pulls open the double doors. It's only Sky, but Carolyn, nerves raw, puts her hands to her mouth and lets loose with peal after peal of screaming.
Sky gazes stoically at her.

Sky pours Carolyn a drink--just take a sip, you'll feel much better, he assures her. I've never felt so scared in my life! She gasps. Sky kneels at her feet--it's all my fault, he says, I'm terribly sorry. She says she's just more jumpy than usual, Mr. Rumson. Call me Sky, he suggests.  She sips her drink and asks, where is Angelique?  We missed connections, he says--she must have been held up by the storm, and I knew an important call was coming here instead of the airport, so I managed to get a cab--I'm sorry we had to meet under such strange circumstances, the radio must have drowned out your calls to me. Carolyn gives him back the glass, her hand to her forehead.  Nothing is going right, says Sky--I'm sorry about the lights, too--the storm must have knocked out the electric--it's happened before; I'll have it fixed tomorrow. He looks out the window. We here the sound of breathing. Carolyn tells Sky about the call from Mr. Cartwright. It's important, says Sky--I must call him back--I'll go into the next room to make it--will you be all right? Yes, as long as I know you're nearby, she says. I'll be back in one minute, he promises, and leaves.  Carolyn sits back in her chair.  We hear Sky on the phone apologizing to "George" for getting back so late.

Carolyn dreams. She hears Jeb say, I knew you were a person in need of a whole new world, and I was the person who could give it to you... A disco ball twirls. Carolyn goes to the antique shop, calling Jeb--answer me, she begs, there are so many questions I don't understand. About what? he asks, standing in a doorway. I'm so glad you're here! she says. I've been waiting, if you'd come back, he says. Come into the light, she says playfully, I want to see you. Do you really want to see me? he asks, the way I really am, Carolyn?  I don't understand it, she says. I don't understand why you ran away, he counters, hid from me--or was it because you didn't like me, despite what you said?  Smiling, she says, I've known you for such a short time. Much longer than you think, says Jeb, or did you forget?--I didn't, about the way you used to look at me, caress my hand, the warmth of your kiss on my cheek. What are you talking about? she asks. Look at this, he says, maybe you'll remember everything--he holds up his wrist to show her the moon-shaped scar. She gasps, covers her mouth. He smiles--you remember me when I was Joseph, a cute, sweet little baby, or maybe you remember me as Alexander, sweet, little Alexander--and he takes down the death mask from the wall, holding it over his face. "Remember the way I used to try to scare you--with THIS?" he asks. She gasps, scared. Or maybe you liked me best as Michael--that's when I began to realize that I really wanted you--and couldn't wait to grow up and become Jeb--you can understand that, can't you? I can't believe you, Michael, Alexander and the baby were all him, she insists, upset, it's impossible. All true, he assures her, and somehow I knew you'd come back, and now that you have, you're going to be all mine. "Come to me," he demands.  When she turns, his outstretched hands are covered with blood. She cries out--you've got blood all over them, what have you done? When we met, I knew you were a person in need of a whole new existence, he says, a whole new life, and I was the person who could give it to you.
Carolyn awakens, crying out, "What have you done, what have you done?"  Sky shakes her fully awake.  I fell asleep and had a terrible dream, she says. He holds her hand--I'll take you to your room, he says--you've been through quite enough. He helps the shaky young woman to her feet.

Outside, the creature breathes.

Sky leads Carolyn to her bedroom.  I'll be in my study right down the hall, he assures her--all if you need me. Thank you, she says--you've been kind. They bid each other good night, and Carolyn climbs into bed.

Sky looks out the window, smiling. He opens the front door wide.

In her bed, Carolyn sleeps.

We see a green slime trail leading from the front door.
The windows in Carolyn's room bang in the storm, and she gets up to close them.  As she's about to return to bed, she hears what sounds like breathing interspersed with clanking chains. Come quickly! Carolyn begs Sky. The double doors of her room blow open.  Carolyn screams shrilly. (That gal's got a great set of lungs.)

NOTES: Who thinks Sky is involved with the Leviathans? Who probably let Jeb know where Carolyn was?

Liz left the house in a car; isn't it so isolated, you can only get there by launch? Perhaps she was taking the car to the launch.

Love, Robin