Author Topic: Johnny Boy???  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Johnny Boy???
« on: May 19, 2003, 12:58:27 AM »
Where's John Karlen been?

I know how they're gonna bring him back...but, in REAL life, does anyone know what Mr. Karlen was doing?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Johnny Boy???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 03:18:06 AM »
I remember reading somewhere as to what he had been up to during his absence, but natch I can't remember now.  He was involved in some other things in his acting career is all I can recall.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 03:24:34 AM »
Don't really know Patti.....but it might have been the "let's see what's doing out in California" period.

Always wished he hadn't done that.   I know "Cagney and Lacy" was very successful for him, but I think he'd have had a more varied and sustained career if he'd stayed in New York.  He was meant to be a character actor and I think the stage was the place for him.

I think of someone like Larry Bryggman on As The World Turns....he's been on that soap for umpteen years AND had a successful theatre career AND been in both movies and television productions based in New York.  The same for Jerry Orbach.  I have no doubt that John Karlen could have moved around New York's entertainment circles, from Broadway to the network studios, to the sound stages at Silvercup.....if he'd only stayed in Brooklyn.   ;)

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 04:33:14 AM »
I believe that this was the period during which he was filming DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS in Europe with the exquisite Delphine Seyrig.

Regards,

John

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 07:37:56 AM »
Im not too sure but I think he does return back to the show pretty soon. ;)

Deb

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 08:14:00 PM »
Actually, I believe Mr. Karlen was on another soap:
"Hidden Faces". 1968-69.
(Also had Tony LoBianco AND Conrad Fowkes).

Hmm...veddy interesting.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 08:26:10 PM »
Actually, I believe Mr. Karlen was on another soap:
"Hidden Faces". 1968-69.
(Also had Tony LoBianco AND Conrad Fowkes).

Based on that title and your post on another thread about Cyrus and Sabrina needing my bag, maybe they should've been on this soap.   ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 01:54:09 AM »
Don't really know Patti.....but it might have been the "let's see what's doing out in California" period.

Always wished he hadn't done that.   I know "Cagney and Lacy" was very successful for him, but I think he'd have had a more varied and sustained career if he'd stayed in New York.  He was meant to be a character actor and I think the stage was the place for him.

I think of someone like Larry Bryggman on As The World Turns....he's been on that soap for umpteen years AND had a successful theatre career AND been in both movies and television productions based in New York.  The same for Jerry Orbach.  I have no doubt that John Karlen could have moved around New York's entertainment circles, from Broadway to the network studios, to the sound stages at Silvercup.....if he'd only stayed in Brooklyn.   ;)

Totally agree with you, Rainey. His life and career would have turned out so different had he only stayed in the New York realm and just "visited" Lala land.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 03:38:19 AM »
I thought it was common knowledge by now that everyone knew that Frid, Karlen, Scott, Hall and most of the cast was off in Tarrytown NY, filiming the HODS movie during the beginning of the PT storyline on sci fi right now.
Selby and Parker practically carried the show every day for 6 weeks. All though they did a fine job, the main cast's absence really hurt  the show. Especially coming so soon after the awful Leviathan story.

I believe that Daughters of Darkeness was filmed sometime in the summer of 1970 after PT ended.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 05:50:51 AM »
I thought it was common knowledge by now that everyone knew that Frid, Karlen, Scott, Hall and most of the cast was off in Tarrytown NY, filiming the HODS movie during the beginning of the PT storyline on sci fi right now.
Selby and Parker practically carried the show every day for 6 weeks. All though they did a fine job, the main cast's absence really hurt  the show. Especially coming so soon after the awful Leviathan story.

I believe that Daughters of Darkeness was filmed sometime in the summer of 1970 after PT ended.
of course this is true and i agree that it hurt the show
One of the main reasons i disliked this storyline was what
a wimp Maggie was. [spoiler]Since KLS was off doing the movie
and Maggie was sent off to visit her sister Jennifer it sort of fell through the cracks and i don't feel it was resolved well when she returned[/spoiler]

jennifer
i don't know Rainey i think JK did what he wanted and i did like his HARHVEY on Cagney and Lacey. I saw him the other day on an old Mike Hammer show and it's good to see
him turn up on so many other shows!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2003, 06:26:50 PM »
i don't know Rainey i think JK did what he wanted and i did like his HARHVEY on Cagney and Lacey. I saw him the other day on an old Mike Hammer show and it's good to see
him turn up on so many other shows!

I just saw him this weekend on cable playing Valerie Bertinelli's father in a mini-series.  I can't think of the name of it, but it's been on umpteen times¢â‚¬¦the one about the guy who murder's his wife and her sister (VB) won't give up on trying to make him answer for his crimes and so on.  The only complaint I have is that JK's role was too small.

Speaking of cast sightings¢â‚¬¦this was probably mentioned in another post that I missed (I'm trying to play catch-up but my pace is kind of slow) - there was also a photo of JF as Barnabas in a recent People (I believe).  Something about famous vampires.  Sorry, I'm a little vague on it.

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 06:30:43 AM »

Speaking of cast sightings…this was probably mentioned in another post that I missed (I'm trying to play catch-up but my pace is kind of slow) - there was also a photo of JF as Barnabas in a recent People (I believe).  Something about famous vampires.  Sorry, I’m a little vague on it.[/font]

it was in this week's people about top single men(i vote Keanu over Ashton or Prince William anyday !) my daughter was looking at it and said here is that old vampire
you like(yes i sent her to her room Really!) it was a picture
of Barnabas under fav vamps! as there were only a few others glad old Barny got his due!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2003, 10:12:55 PM »
it was a pictureof Barnabas under fav vamps! as there were only a few others glad old Barny got his due!
That's right! Thanks for clearing that up jennifer. And I'll take Prince William over those other two - well, that is if I were ahem, many years younger.  :-
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 12:29:32 AM »
Not for nothing....(and yes...I am going to actually go PURCHASE People)...but Prince William....but like Castlebee said....younger
An Old Hag,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2003, 01:10:13 AM »

Since this topic was posted on May 19th, I think Patti was referring to Karlen's absence from the show prior to his return in the Leviathan story line.

According to Karlen himself (DS Companion, 25th Anniversary book) he had moved his family to California and was lured back to New York by Dan Curtis after Curtis got the two-picture deal with MGM. Karlen really wanted to do the films.