Author Topic: OT-General computer help from MB (or any other knowledgeable members)  (Read 5041 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
After talking about it for a year or two, I'm finally on the verge of getting a new computer and thought I'd get some hints.  From the WordPerfect forum I use, it would seem that one should make sure to get Windows XP Professional and not Home - do you know anything about these?

I know you like Linux.  It's always sounded interesting.  Now that I'll have room, I could consider it.  However, since the XP would also be on the computer and since they are both operating systems, I don't quite understand how that would work.  At one point I think WordPerfect was developing a version to work with Linux, but I don't know if anything really came of that.  If one uses Linux, will the regular programs work?

Any opinions on anti-virus programs?  McAfee came with this computer and I've kept it up ever since.  If I get Gateway again (which I think I will), it comes with 3 months of Norton.  On the WordPerfect forum, again, someone recently indicated that he feels Norton is no good.  However, some of them seem to feel the same way about McAfee!!  They recommended a few other programs, and I think one of those is free.  The names mentioned were:  ViRobot, Panda, and AVG.  I think AVG is the one I've noticed a few of them recommending and I think that's the one that's free.  I've always been reluctant to switch to anything else.  I assume I'll accept the 3 months of Norton and then decide whether to subscribe to them or go back to McAfee.

When I got my current one, it has a 4 GB hard drive (which sounded enormous at the time; I was going from 212 MB!!), at that time it had to be subdivided and came as C and D drives. The pre-installed programs and most others I've installed (Fax, Acrobat, WinZip and anything else that came along) are on C. I have WP and all of my own files on D.

I kind of liked that separation. However, it's C that's almost full, while there's still more room on D (by now that's getting pretty full, too, though). One salesman seemed surprised when he learned of the partition and I said it had to be that way back then. He advised to never partition.

With the large size of drives these days, since it would be a major undertaking to partition it once it's set up, I thought I'd solicit opinions as to whether it's better to have the one huge drive or partitions.

I think that's it for now!! :)
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Josette,

I'll go into more detail when I have a chance later today, but two quick points:

If you're going to go with Windows XP, definitely get the Professional vs. the Home version. The Home version has way too many horror stories to be practical.

And as for WordPerfect, yes they definitely have a version for Linux. I came across a download site just the other day while I was searching for some other Linux software.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
MB, thank you for your answers.  I hated to throw so many questions at you with everything else you have to do.  It's likely to be at least a week or two before I actually do anything, so don't feel pressed to answer quickly.
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Someone posted the following on the WordPerfect board.  I thought you'd enjoy it:

If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines

UNIX Airways
Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS
Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on ...

Mac Airlines
All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air
The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air
Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Linux Air
Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the Seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Well Josette...the heading (knowledgeable!!) shoulda scared me off...but
I too HAD to get a new 'puter.
I bought Dell...nice commercials..huh...too bad there's a BIG stamp on bottom, "Made in China" and when I called their tech #, I asked the woman where she was, India... so I guess Dell only has 1 need for Americans >:(

I didn't know the difference with the XP or home...I bought home...and ibid to what MB said about nightmare... for one thing...there's no Excel, it's just a spreadsheet form.

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Someone posted the following on the WordPerfect board.  I thought you'd enjoy it

ROFL! I love it! And every word of it is dead on, too.  :D

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Thank you, Patti!  All of the WordPerfect people have been saying to make sure to get Professional, but the salespeople don't see why I should need it!!
Josette

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
I didn't know the difference with the XP or home...I bought home...and ibid to what MB said about nightmare... for one thing...there's no Excel, it's just a spreadsheet form.

huh???? i thought XP was an operating system.  i think you mean the difference between XP version of professional and standard versions of word office.  it should be the same programs but the professional version would include access (data base program).

we even have the student/teacher edition (husband is teacher) and it's the full version of excel so maybe you actually mean microsoft works which doesn't have the full version of anything.

and i think MB is right to get the XP professional version of the operating system.  it's based on microsoft office NT which is one of the best MS operating systems.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
we even have the student/teacher edition (husband is teacher) and it's the full version of excel

Oh yeah, MB is going to slap me for praising a Microsoft product lol, but Excel rocks for teaching. I keep my student grades on it, and then I can convert the file to a CSV and upload it to the university's online grade reporting system so my students can see their grades.

Meanwhile, some of my colleagues pull their hair out during finals week using pencil, paper, and calculator. Luddites! [crazy]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I got another one from the WordPerfect forum that I just had to share with you:

This reminds me of a winning entry in a recent Bullwer-Lytton ("It was a dark and stormy night...") contest:

"Kirk's mind raced as he quickly assessed his situation: the shields were down, the warp drive and impulse engines were dead, life support was failing fast, and the Enterprise was plummeting out of control toward the surface of Epsilon VI and, as Scotty and Spock searched frantically through the manuals trying to find a way to save them all, Kirk vowed, as he stared at the solid blue image filling the main view screen, that never again would he allow a Microsoft operating system to control his ship. - Mike Rottmann, Reno, Nev."
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:OT-General computer help from MB (or any other knowledgeable members)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 08:37:18 AM »
Josette,

I'll go into more detail when I have a chance later today, but two quick points:

Hi MB!

As you see, you originally intended to reply later the same day!  I told you not to worry, that it was likely to be a week or two before I did anything.  However, it's almost 2 weeks at this point, and I'm assuming you've forgotten about this by now.

Also, some more questions . . .

I thought I'd have to get Windows XP, but found out at Gateway, for the same price as the upgrade to Professional, I could get Win 2000. There are a number of people on the WP forum who have indicated that it's better than XP.

However, if I get 2000, I won't get whatever Word office programs they provide with XP, unless I pay for one of the more expensive versions than they provide with XP. As I have no intention of buying Word, I figure I should get what they give me so I'll have it available when getting things from others or converting files to send to them. I think they offer a WP version, but since that wouldn't be the full version and would still leave me "Word-less," I think I'm better off the other way.

P.S. - Do you also sometimes post under another name besides being MB?  A couple of things you've said recently have given me a hint as to who you might be.  (I promise I won't post even a guess here!!! - However, I might send you an IM or ask Midnite, assuming she's allowed to answer yes or no to a guess!)
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 03:49:10 PM »
Josette,

Just noticed your mood.  I hope what's got you down improves.

Luv,  M.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 05:03:40 PM »
Hi Midnite,

Those faces are hard to make out.  I thought I had chosen a smile!!  I'll check into that.  Thank you for your concern! :)
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 05:05:49 PM »
Whew.

I see you're smiling. :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 07:59:49 PM »
and I'm assuming you've forgotten about this by now.

Haven't forgotten - just been busily trying to get several different things done so we can reopen guest access/registrations as soon as it's feasible. :)

But I'll try to get to all your questions soon...

P.S. - Do you also sometimes post under another name besides being MB?  A couple of things you've said recently have given me a hint as to who you might be.

Well, I've been dropping subtle (and a few not so subtle) hints since day one as to who I really am. It's just that recently I've become reckless about it. :D