Author Topic: Robservations 5/14/03 - #938/939 - A Tale By Fireglow; A Lawman Named Sheriff  (Read 1233 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
938 - This show was touted as "a very special episode" for a few days before it was actually shown. They skipped over any intro, but whether that was for time, more commercials or some other reason, I don't know. There might have been one originally and it was deleted from the show for time purposes. [Admin note: There is an opening voiceover and teaser that restages the end of Ep #937. For some bizarre reason known only to them, the Sci-Fi Channel chose not to show it.]

We start with the exterior shot of the Old House. Barnabas and Julia sit facing each other in the drawing room, a fire crackling in the background between them. Candles glow softly, almost romantically.  "Tell me what happened," bids Julia. It began on my final night in the past, says Barn, I already told you about the fire at Tate's studio. We flash back to the final days of 1897. Petofi had been pursued there the night before by some demon of his own creation, explains Barnabas--I went there hoping to find Quentin's portrait--I found Petofi's glasses and think he perished in the fire--hard to believe his glasses were all that was left of him. I realized I wasn't alone--Tate grabbed me and accuse me and the others of destroying his studio and his work. I'll kill you! Tate threatens. I think Blackwood and Petofi perished in the fire, says Barnabas.  Petofi couldn't get far without those, says Tate, pointing to the glasses. We don't know what ever happened, says Charles, and I don't care. Paint other portraits, advises Barnabas.  There were portraits here I cared a great deal about, says Tate. I was only concerned about Quentin's portrait, says Barnabas.  This pisses Charles off--I admit the portrait was here--I did steal it, thinking it would do me some good--now it won't do Quentin or me any good. The next time there's a full moon, realizes Barnabas.  Stay away from Quentin, advises Tate. There has to be a way to stop it happening, insists Barnabas. Charles promised to paint another portrait of Quentin that night, Barnabas explains to Julia (who looks stunning in the candlelight in this ep), but he broke his promise. I saw Tate a few weeks ago, says Julia, just before he died. He's been alive all this time? asks Barn. Yes, and ironically, his death came at the hands of a werewolf, reveals Julia. Chris Jennings, guesses Barn. Yes, says Julia, Chris tried to get Tate to paint his portrait, just before the full moon--Tate failed, and the werewolf killed him--but you were wrong about the original painting of Quentin--it didn't burn in the fire--"I have it now," says Julia. Where did you find it? asks Barn, who had it? Angelique, says Julia, stunning Barnabas. (Opening credits, way after we usually see them.)

Angelique is happily married and has given up all her powers, says Julia--she only gave me the portrait after I promised not to involve her, ever, with the Collinses--I don't want to discuss that, I want to hear more of your. Barnabas describes how Kitty became more and more obsessed with Josette's spirit. She went to the Old House to plead with Josette's portrait to release her from its spell,
I found her there and proposed to her.  We agreed to marry that night, and I left her to make arrangements, sure no harm could come to her. I promised to return ASAP, then started for the Old House again, for my rendezvous with her, unaware of the agony she was going through. Flashback to an anxious Kitty waiting in Josette's room, pacing--it's her wedding night to a man little more than a stranger--how long has she really known him? Where is he? Why doesn't he get back here? It's their wedding eve. She realizes she isn't dressed to be a bride and must find something more suitable. She goes into the trunk at the foot of the bed and finds Josette's white gown. No, I can't do what she wants done--it will make me Josette forever--I can't put it on, I can't--Barnabas, where are you?-- need you!  Barnabas hears her begging him to hurry, and he does. Kitty, knowing he's on his way, has put on the white dress. I know I mustn't, but I have, and as she is swallowed into the portrait, Barnabas enters and grabs her hand. Barnabas, his face handsome in the candlelight, tells Julia, the power of the portrait was too great--it drew Kitty inside it, along with myself.

All I could do was hold onto Kitty and go wherever fate would lead us, says Barnabas. (Julia looked wistful there.)  I realized I was being taken back to 1797, an even earlier time. It was the day Josette was to die on Widows' Hill, and I had a chance to change history--and I did. I got back to the hill in time and saved her; she agreed to meet me that night. I was on my way through the woods, taking a path I'd taken countless times, but this time, it was different. Flashback--Barnabas lost, panicking, in the odd fog, lost, somehow, finding the Leviathan altar. He can't even find the path.

A storm rages as Barnabas explains to Julia, that was the first time I saw Oberon--have you ever heard of the Leviathan people? No, she says. That's who they were, says Barn--in a moment, there was a second hooded figure; enormously strong, they closed in on me and subdued me--I couldn't stop them from drugging me, and when I awakened some time later, I was alone with Oberon, who told me what had happened. Flashback: Barnabas rises from the altar.  Oberon explains--through you and your ability to transcend time, the Leviathans shall live again
--our race has been threatened by extinction, but it has been written in our book that there shall be a resurgence of our kind--there shall be a new leader, who will marry one of your kind and bring forth a new breed. I don't understand, protests Barnabas--I must go to Josette. No, says Oberon, you shall not see her again until you have served us--you must take our seed with you, plant it, nurture it in another time. I must go to Josette, Barn insists again. You may not! orders Oberon--she shall remain with us until you have served us--do as we command and you will see Josette again, disobey, and not only will Josette die, you shall spend all eternity as a creature of the darkness!--you see, we know all about your terrible secret, everything about you, says Oberon, who refuses to tell Barnabas where they are holding Josette. She is safe as long as you serve   us, says Oberon--do you understand? Yes, says Barnabas, settling back down on the altar. You will go to the future, take the Leviathan box with you, instructs Oberon--you will follow the great book's rules--soon a child will appear, his growth amazingly fast--you will guide and teach him, preside over his wedding ceremony, neither question nor doubt what must be done in order to ensure our place in the world--is that clear? Yes, says Barnabas, sounding far away, it is clear. You will be asleep in a moment, says Oberon, and when you awaken you will be our leader and we will pay homage to you--Oberon bows--but you will always know there is a terrible penalty for disobedience--you will not remember what the penalty is, unless you force us to remind you--and if we must remind you, you will regret the day we do!

After that, they did treat him as their leader, says Barn, and I was convinced my feelings and the course I was taking was right. That strange box you brought back from the past, remembers Julia. The Leviathan box, says Barnabas. I remember hearing something breathing inside it, she says. Not someone, says Barn, at that point, it was mere essence--it didn't take form until the box was first opened by the Todds. What about the Todds? asks Julia. We needed someone to watch over the box, says Barnabas--when the Todds opened it, they never were able to do anything that wasn't against in the best interests of the child. The baby that appeared in the antique shop, recalls Julia. If you could call it a baby, yes, says Barnabas, but that creature is not human, although capable of taking human form--in its real form, it has grown at an alarming rate. Then the baby, Alexander and Michael were all the same child, exclaims Julia, the different names were only to explain its extraordinary growth--the upstairs room at the shop--that's where this THING is staying in it's own true form... Fear on her face, Julia asks, what kind of power does this creature possess to kill the way it killed Paul Stoddard and the sheriff?
There's no adequate way to describe it, Julia, says Barnabas--it resembles nothing that has never been seen before, but it hideously ugly and evil; I don't even now understand the nature of its power, only that it paralyzes the human will. There must be some way it can be destroyed, insists Julia. If there is, I haven't found it, says Barnabas--in its latest manifestation, Jeb Hawkes is arrogant, ruthless and cruel, and will stop at nothing to get what he wants--he has resisted my control, and I can't fight them because of the power they have over him. Is it possible they lied to you about holding Josette hostage? asks Julia. Yes, answers Barnabas, but that other threat is no lie--I tried to defy them once, when Michael wanted to destroy you (she reacts, of course, with consternation)--I refused, they made me a vampire for one terrifying night, just to remind me of all the horrors I'd once suffered, to warn me I'd stay that way if I didn't follow orders. "You obviously haven't followed orders," says Julia with a tinge of humor, "I'm still alive."  I found out later that killing is forbidden by the writings of their book, says Barn--but Jeb ignores the book, since he killed Paul, no one is safe. How do they plan to deal with people against them? asks Julia. They have the power to induce dreams that will compel people to adopt their way of thinking, explains Barnabas, however, not everyone is susceptible--you were one of the exceptions--but not Elizabeth, David, or Amy (here Julia reacts with surprise). They're part of this, too? she asks. That's why I couldn't speak of it at Collinwood, says Barn, they are part of it, all right, and loyal because they have no real control over their actions, and no knowledge of the consequences of what they are. What are the consequences? asks Julia. The person in the most immediate danger is Carolyn, says Barnabas. This also astonishes Julia--why? Twenty years ago, the Leviathans granted Paul Stoddard wealth and power unlimited, in exchange for his most valuable possession--a few months ago, he realized what that expression meant. Carolyn, whispers Julia. All their activity had been in pursuit of this goal, he says, to recreate the Leviathan race in a ceremony marriage between Jeb and Carolyn--when that ceremony is complete, Carolyn will be completely transformed. Into the same form as that creature in that room? asks Julia, her face screwed up with disgust--Barnabas, you can't let that happen!  I don't know how to stop it, he says--I just don't know--Jeb doesn't understand any rules, he already disposed of the sheriff and Stoddard, now he has plans to do the same to you, Maggie and Amy--he's capable of bringing back to life those he's killed, you see--he can create an army of the dead!
In the cemetery, we see that Davenport had the perfect job--his first name, according to his tombstone is SHERIFF! He lived from 1935-1970, dying at the young age of 35. As lightning flashes, illuminating the tombstone, a hand rises from the earth! Is Sheriff Davenport returning from the dead?

NOTES: It felt good to watch Barnabas spill his guts to Julia, who listens intimately, raptly, her eyes rarely leaving his face. It must have hurt to hear that he proposed to Josette, but she skipped right over that, not putting him on the spot about it. Julia knew she had her friend in a corner and thank God he felt that he could and should tell her everything. Now they are a team again, and somehow, you feel that they will make sure everything is going to be all right. This revelation was a pleasure to watch, even if it was 75% clip show.

939 - Sheriff Davenport rises from his grave, covered from head to toe with the dirt in which he was buried. He stands and begins to walk, slowly.

Collinwood - Carolyn, lovely in a simple black dress, stands in the drawing room. Maggie enters--would you mind some company? She asks.  I'm glad to see you, says Carolyn. Maggie starts to say, I know nothing I can say will change anything... Carolyn instantly stops her--if you're going to talk about my father, she says... I think it would be better for you to talk about him than think about him, says Maggie. I can't help it, says Carolyn--I spent most of my life convinced I'd never see him--then he came back to me--I know most people think he came back only because he was terribly disturbed, but I believe he came back here because of ME--because he loved and needed me--I know he WAS troubled about something that frightened him, but could never get him to tell me exactly what--whatever his mental state, I was happy to have him here, to be with him, and I will find out who or what caused his death. The police will do that, says Maggie, even the state police have been called in--let them worry about finding your father's killer; I think you should find something to take your mind off his death. I know, says Carolyn, rubbing her forehead as if she has a headache--I may go back to work at the antique shop. Maggie, taken aback, asks, why?  I like Megan and Philip, answers Carolyn--and there's a great deal of work to be done there (all that dusting!)  Is that particular kind of work the answer? asks Maggie casually. Why not? asks Carolyn. Your father was at the shop the night he died, Maggie reminds her. "What's that supposed to mean?" demands Carolyn angrily.   I don't know, says Maggie, it's just something to consider, I think.  My father was HERE the night he died, at Stokes', and many other places the night he died, says Carolyn, sounding like an interrogator--are you trying to tell me that you feel the same way Julia does about the antique shop? Maggie, trying to evade, claims, I haven't spoken to Julia about the shop, I don't know how I feel. Very suspicious, says Carolyn, of Megan and Philip, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why--can you? No, says Maggie. Megan and Philip are wonderful people, insists Carolyn, and the idea that they had anything to do with my father's death is not only absurd, it's infuriating--I'd rather not discuss it further.  She stalks off to look out the window. Maggie, upset, starts to say something, then stops. Carolyn apologizes--I didn't mean to sound angry with you.  I understand, Maggie assures her--you should get some rest.  I can't sleep yet, says Carolyn--I might go out on the terrace for a while, since the storm has died down. I'll be working on the kids' homework in Roger's study, says Maggie. Carolyn thanks her.  Maggie leaves. Carolyn sits down by the fire, looking lost.

Terrace - the fountain bubbles merrily away. The zombified Sheriff Davenport stands outside the gate, looking around, blinking his eyes constantly. He enters the terrace area, walking around, then disappears into the bushes when Carolyn comes out. She hears leaves crunching and turns; Jeb is standing outside the gate. "If I frightened my lady, I humbly beg her forgiveness," he says. What are you doing here? she asks. I was drawn by an irresistible force, he says--you. She looks uncomfortable--Mr. Hawkes it's very late at night, she reminds him. Call me Jeb, he says. I think you should be going home, she says. I had to see you, he insists. I'm flattered, she says, but... Don't you want to know why? he asks.  Mr. Hawkes...she begins. Jeb, he amends. You know there's been a death in my family, and I think you've shown remarkably bad taste by coming here to see me, she says. You're absolutely right, he agrees, but I had no control over myself--I'm sorry--but now that I'm here, you don't want me to leave so quickly--do you? She considers it and says, with a chuckle, I don't know what to make of you. You find me repulsive, he suggests.  How can I, I don't even know you? she says. Yes you do, says Jeb, we met earlier in the shop. Is that your idea of knowing someone--a chance meeting? she asks. What makes you think it was by chance? He asks.  I hope you aren't going to tell me fate brought us together? she asks. I believe in fate, very strongly, he says. So do I, says Carolyn, but don't think it had anything to do with our meeting this afternoon. Oh, but it had everything to do with it, he says--you'll see tomorrow, when we will be married. She stares at him, disbelieving, amazed.

"You and I are going to be married tomorrow--just like that?" she asks, snapping her fingers. Oh, no, we will have a very special ceremony, he says. You're infuriating! she says. I didn't mean to upset you, says Jeb.  Upset me? she demands--you have decided that I'm going to marry you--the fact that we don't even know one another is an obstacle you can apparently overcome with ease--I'm a bit more complex--I'm not upset, Mr. Hawkes, I'm appalled! This wasn't a frivolous decision, he assures her. Why don't we just drop the subject and say goodnight? she suggests. When I saw you, he says, I knew that you were a person who needed a new life, a whole new existence, and I was the person who could give it to you. What am I supposed to say to that--"'Well, Carolyn, this is really your lucky day, isn't it'?" she asks sarcastically. You're not taking me seriously at all, accuses Jeb.
If you don't leave immediately, says Carolyn, I'll take you seriously and have you thrown off the estate. I meant everything I said, he promises. So did I! she blares in return--good night! She starts to walk away; he grabs her arm. Let go, she orders. Suppose I were to tell you that it's written somewhere that we are supposed to be together? he asks. I'd tell you that you were crazy, she says. "Don't you EVER say that to me!" shouts Jeb--"You don't know who you're talking to!"  Are you going to let go of my arm, or am I going to scream? asks Carolyn.  He stares into her face, his mouth an angry line. He releases her.  She runs from him.  (Smooth operator, buddy, every gal wants to be grabbed and physically abused by a man she barely knows.) Sheriff Davenport comes out of hiding and meanders along.

Maggie is shutting off the lights in the drawing room when Carolyn, upset, comes in.  When Maggie tries to find out what happened, Carolyn takes off her coat and runs upstairs, sobbing, insisting, "I'm all right."  Barnabas enters.  Did you pass the terrace on your way here? asks Maggie. No, I came another way, he replies.  Did you see Carolyn or anyone else? asks Maggie. No, he says, what happened?
Carolyn came in from the terrace looking as if she were going to burst into tears, says Maggie. (losing her father wouldn't cause a spate of crying)? I'll go up and check on her, offers Barn. I think Carolyn would prefer to be alone, she says. Have you had a chance to talk to her lately? asks Barn. About an hour ago, she replies--I tried to convince her not to go back to the antique shop--but I didn't get very far--Carolyn is fond of the Todds and thought I was going to say something against them--and wouldn't listen. That's the problem, says Barnabas, they've been so good to her, outwardly. Can't you tell me why Carolyn shouldn't go back to the antique shop? asks Maggie. I can't, says Barnabas, I'm sorry--keep watching her and stay with her as much as possible. I'll do whatever you want me to, says Maggie. I'm glad I have you to count on, he says.  Do you know why you do? she asks, because I've never known anyone to be as concerned about someone else as you are about Carolyn. She takes his hand in both of hers and says, "I'm glad you came back to Collinwood."  And I'm glad to be back, he assures her, to reality, to friends--he hooks his forefinger over her hands--especially you, he says.

Antique shop - Jeb returns home and unlocks the door. Sheriff Davenport is with him.  Come in, Jeb invites him. Zombie Davenport shuffles inside.  Look at me, Jeb demands.  Davenport does. Do you know who I am? asks Jeb. Yes, says Davenport. Do you know why I brought you back from the grave, asks Jeb?--to serve me!
--you will be one of many who will be brought back from death to serve me--do you understand? I understand, says Davenport. Good, says Jeb, because if you fail to do as I ask, I'll have to send you back to the grave--forever.

Collinwood - Carolyn receives red roses from Jeb, whose card apologizes for his behavior the previous night--my heart and mind went separate ways, he says, I followed my heart--second, may we, by mutual agreement, of course, meet tomorrow night at 8? Love, Jeb.  Carolyn seems pleased. She leaves the roses on the piano and goes to get a vase. Barnabas enters as she's arranging the roses into the vase and comments how pretty they are. I came to see if you're all right, he says. I feel much better today, she says. You have an admirer, I see, comments Barnabas. It appears that way, she agrees.  You don't sound very convinced, he says. I'm  not, agrees Carolyn--he's a very strange, impetuous young man. What's his name? Barn asks. Jeb Hawkes, she says--he's someone I keep meeting, accidentally, first at the antique shop, then on the terrace. Barnabas doesn't look happy.
So he's the one who has upset you so much? he asks. How did you know I was upset? she asks. I came in after you went upstairs, says Barnabas, Maggie told me--she's worried about you. She needn't be, says Carolyn, I'm sure the incident meant absolutely nothing. What kind of incident was it? he asks. She laughs--you shouldn't start worrying about it. Carolyn finishes arranging the roses and takes the vase away--I'm getting some water for them, she says. Barnabas picks up the card that came with the roses and says to himself, if I don't stop Jeb, there's no hope for Carolyn. I must kill him--now!

Antique shop - Jeb, on the phone with Philip, arrogantly assures him, I have everything under control--what did you expect?--you and Megan stay out as long as you like--I'm not a little baby boy anymore and don't need to be watched over--I hope you understand that--for your own good. Barnabas enters the shop.  What brings you here? asks Jeb.  I know there's nothing I can do to dissuade you from the course you've taken, says Barn--I think it would be wise for both of us, as well as for our cause, that we reach an understanding--we've been at odds since you've been fully grown, and that isn't good--if we continue this way, we will jeopardize our mutual goal--I suggest we become friends--I'm willing to obey and abide by your decisions to the best of my ability. What brought about this sudden about face? asks Jeb.  I just told you, says Barn--if there's disharmony between us, our goal will be lost. I always knew you'd come around, brags Jeb, just not this soon. Then you accept my offer? asks Barn. I accept any offer--of obedience, says Jeb.  We should seal our agreement with a drink, says Barn. I thinks Megan and Philip keep a bottle around someplace, says Jeb.  Barnabas volunteers to check the back room. He goes in, locates the bottle and two glasses conveniently sitting on a tray, doctors one with what we assume is poison he has taken from his cape, and carries the glasses out to Jeb. He hands one to the Leviathan spawn and toasts to their success. Jeb starts to drink, then stops, glass poised at his lips. I want to make the toast, says Jeb--"To Carolyn Stoddard and her future with me."--now you say it like you really mean it. Barnabas repeats the toast, and both men drink, Barnabas watching Jeb eagerly.

NOTES:  Will Barnabas succeed in offing the insufferable Leviathan leader?  Or will Jeb, not being human, be impervious to our ordinary earthly poisons?

Do you think Carolyn, despite herself, is attracted to Jeb and his pushy ways?  You have to give him some credit--realizing he botched things the previous night, he sent roses and a card apologizing.  Did that sway Carolyn, despite herself, toward returning his feelings?  How dumb can one man be, anyway, just telling a girl he barely knows, "We're getting married tomorrow."?  Doesn't he get humans at all?

Davenport makes for a scary accomplice.  I wouldn't want that by my side, would you?  Creepy!  And to think his real first name is Sheriff, LOL!

Love, Robin