Author Topic: #0075/0076: Robservations 07/13/01: No More Pretense  (Read 1403 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0075/0076: Robservations 07/13/01: No More Pretense
« on: July 12, 2001, 07:08:17 PM »
Episode #75 - I am no longer a stranger at Collinwood--whether I want it or not, the people who live in this great mansion on Widows' Hill, have become part of my life, and now I can only hope for the day when the tension around me will no longer exist.

Matthew joins Roger on Widows' Hill and asks him if he's bringing back the boats this early. Simply enjoying the view, says Roger--it's a lovely spot. Widows' Hill--ain't nothin' nice about it, says Matthew. You have no soul, says Roger--can't you see the play of sunlight on the water?--those low clouds dipping over the horizon? Look like rain clouds to me, says Matthew. (Such a downer!) You're incorrigible, accuses Roger, an eternal pessimist--how long have you been caretaker here--15 years? 18, says Matthew. And you mean to tell me in all this time you've never once stood on this crest and admired the beauties of nature? Asks Roger. Ocean and sky, says Matthew, they're always there. But today is a very special day, says Roger (expelling a bit of extra spit)--today the earth is spinning with joy and good will--and I have never felt better in my life! Matthew gives him a sour, doubting look.

Collinwood - Vicki, wearing a coat, starts to exit the house, but goes into the drawing room. Hey, governess, where are you going? asks Carolyn. Out for a walk, says Vicki. How about stepping into my private office for a little talk first? asks Carolyn, in good spirits Please, no more arguments, begs Vicki. Arguments?--I couldn't argue with a fly on a day like this, says Carolyn. You managed quite well a few hours ago, says Vicki. Oh, well, says Carolyn airily--that was in my last incarnation, the meek but happy lamb--come on in. Vicki warily sits on the sofa and Carolyn stands in front of the fireplace, explaining, it's the strange thing about this room--sometimes I just hate it, other times I just plain love it--the core of Collinwood, the holy of holies, and the place for important announcements. I know, you're getting married! exclaims Vicki. You're not even warm, says Carolyn--she sits beside her--remember who we were arguing about earlier today? How could I forget? asks Vicki. Well, says Carolyn, Mr. Burke Devlin has had his answer from on high, and all the pressures are faded and gone forever! What are you talking about? asks Vicki. I'm talking about the coroner, replies Carolyn, that fine public servant who has just made a fine public pronouncement--you know what's been going on around here, all the talk and questions--did Mr. Malloy drown or was he murdered?--and if he was murdered, who did it--it's all over--accidental death due to drowning, period, finished! That is good news, agrees Vicki--when did you hear? Just a little while ago, says Carolyn. I'm glad for all of you, says Vicki. All of us are glad for us too, says Carolyn, it's like a huge weight has been lifted from our shoulders--I bet my Uncle Roger is really relieved about it. You haven't seen him yet? asks Vicki. No, says Carolyn, but when I do, I'm going to give him the biggest hug he ever had in his life! Vicki grins. Can you imagine anyone thinking for even five minutes that anyone could have killed Mr. Malloy? asks Carolyn. Vicki rises and says she hopes that person will stop thinking that now. Me, too, agrees Carolyn. The coroner's verdict is final, isn't it? asks Vicki. Of course, says Carolyn. Do you believe it will really satisfy Burke Devlin? asks Vicki.

I couldn't care less whether Devlin is satisfied or not, Roger tells Matthew, the coroner's verdict is legal and binding, there's not a thing he can do about it. He could make trouble just the same, couldn't he? asks Matthew. You could always handle that for us, says Roger--if Devlin turns out to be too much of a nuisance, all you need do is twist his neck a bit. Don't talk that way, Mr. Collins! says Matthew harshly. All right, says Roger, don't twist his neck, simply invite him out here to admire the view and give him a push--problem solved, either way. I hope you're jokin' with me, I don't like talk about killin' people, says Matthew. Even an enemy of the family? asks Roger. Anybody, I don't care who it is--poor Mr. Malloy is enough, says the caretaker. (Does that comment have two implications?) Yes, I suppose it is, agrees Roger--actually, I was pulling your leg--I'm sure the coroner's finding has removed Devlin's sting quite successfully. Matthew asks him if the coroner's decision means there will be no more talk of murder. That's precisely what it means, says Roger. But suppose the sheriff thinks the coroner made a mistake, asks Matthew, won't be still be coming up to Collinwood, botherin' people? Why Matthew, you're not thinking of pushing HIM off a cliff, are you? Mr. Collins, says Matthew, you talk too lightly about pushin' people off cliffs--I wouldn't speak about it if I were you!
IS that intended as a warning? asks Roger. There are some people who don't understand your kind of joke, says Matthew, you wouldn't want them to start thinkin' wrong things about you. Such as? asks Roger--be more specific. Like maybe you lied to the sheriff, like that, says Matthew. I didn't lie to the sheriff, Roger assures him, when the coroner studied the reports, he undoubtedly looked for evidence of foul play, but obviously found none, and the case is closed! Then the sheriff won't be back, says Matthew. Only to sell tickets to the annual bazaar, says Roger.

Collinwood - Carolyn, scarf in hand, troops downstairs, a bounce in her step. She hands Vicki the scarf "to keep the wind from ruffling your dark and gorgeous hair". Vicki takes the scarf and thanks her. Don't mention it, I have a closet full--where are you off to? asks Carolyn. I don't know, says Vicki, I haven't taken a walk since I've been here--I thought I might take a walk along the beach. Carolyn makes a face and says she wishes she'd stick around--there are so few happy days around this dungeon, it's a shame to miss even five minutes of one of them. Maybe this is just the first in a long string of happy days, suggests Vicki. You're right, says Carolyn, from now on, it's champagne every night and caviar for breakfast--songs and dances by Stoddard and Winters. Vicki clears her throat, and Carolyn amends it to Winters and Stoddard. While Matthew Morgan accompanies us on the harp, says Vicki, and both girls burst into laughter. The only trouble is, says Carolyn, it won't last--Burke Devlin is not going to be satisfied with the coroner's verdict. Even so, what can he do about it? asks Vicki. I don't know, says Carolyn, but you know where I was when I heard the news
--Burke Devlin's hotel room (Vicki gives her a WHAT? look)--it wasn't what you think, David was with me--but when he heard what the coroner had decided, he practically threw us both out of the room--he got so angry, I thought he was going to tear the furniture apart. Have you told your mother this? asks Vicki. No, I haven't, says Carolyn, I guess I didn't want to think about it. Why don't you walk on the beach with me? asks Vicki, clear out the cobwebs? No, thanks, I really do want to wait for Uncle Roger, says Carolyn. Keep your mind on the caviar and champagne, says Vicki, slipping into her coat. As long as you're going for a walk, says Carolyn, go to Lookout Point--a beach, nice view, lots of pretty seashells. I think I'll do that, says Vicki. And if you do run into Uncle Roger, please tell him I'm dying to see him, says Carolyn. Matthew comes in and tells Carolyn that her uncle is on Widows' Hill--do you want me to get him? Don't bother, says Vicki, I'll go give him the message. Matthew smiles. Carolyn thanks her. Vicki leaves. Matthew asks Carolyn where her mother is. Somewhere around the house, says Carolyn, I'm not sure--why? I just wanted to tell her how pleased I am about the news, says Matthew--the coroner's decision, I mean.

Vicki leaves the house,
a scarf tied around her head.

Roger tosses a rock into the water. Vicki joins him and teasingly asks, "Not planning to jump, are you?" Startled, he tells her she shouldn't creep up on him like that. It's exactly what you did to me my very first day here, she reminds him, taking off her scarf. So I did, he says--please accept my belated apologies. Apology accepted, she says. Oh, Vicki, he says, I can scarcely believe it--all the trials and tribulations and pressure we've been living with are finally at an end, and one by one, we will toss them into the sea. He sits down, shaking rocks in his fist. Who's the big one? asks Vicki. I don't know, perhaps it should have a name, he says--how does Burke Devlin sound? Are you sure it's big enough? asks Vicki. On the contrary, says Roger, it's much too big for him. He stands and tosses it--here you go, Mr. Devlin, into the sea, under the waves--and never to be heard from again. We see the waves crashing against the rocks down below, over and over again.

Do you believe in fate? Roger asks Vicki. You mean on the day I was born, I was destined to be standing here at this very moment? she asks. He nods--weren't you? I've never really thought about it, she says. Neither have I, he tells her, but now, I'm so certain of my survival, that... It's getting late, says Vicki--I'd better get down to lookout point--how do you get there? Why are you interested in Lookout Point? he asks. When I told Carolyn I was taking a walk, says Vicki, she told me it would be a good place to head toward. Did she tell you that Bill Malloy may have died there? asks Roger. I didn't know it was decided where he died, says Vicki.
Specifically, no, but probably somewhere in the area of Lookout Point, he says--He checks his watch and says that if she's going to go, the tide comes in in about three quarters of an hour--just follow that path and you'll find it--I'm going back to the house. Carolyn said she wanted to see you, says Vicki. All right, says Roger, saluting her--but the smile fades from his face as he watches her go.

On the phone in the drawing room with Joe, Carolyn waxes rhapsodic--it's all over, no more pressures...why does everyone talk about Burke Devlin, he's not going to do anything? The front door slams and Carolyn tells Joe her Uncle Roger just came in--I'll talk to you later. Hello, Kitten! greets Roger, and she gives him a big, hard hug--Vicki said you wanted to see me. I sure did, to give you this, she says, pressing a kiss on his cheek. What are we celebrating? he asks. Peace and contentment, she tells him--the end of gloom, isn't that enough? Amen to that, he agrees. Were you ever really worried? she asks. Not for a moment, he says. Not even when the sheriff came around asking all those questions? she asks. I had nothing to be worried about, he says, Bill died at 10:45 at night, and the last time I saw him was 10:15. I was sure worried, she says. Why--did you think I was involved? he asks. Heavens, no, she says, but there is something you're involved in. Oh, what? he asks. The theft of an extremely valuable piece of property belonging to another man, she says teasingly. And to whom does this valuable piece of property belong? He asks. Burke Devlin, she says. Roger looks unhappy at the mention of that name.

On the beach, Vicki picks up things that interest her. She strolls through the wet sand, enjoying her walk.

You think I stole a fountain pen? Roger asks Carolyn. I was only kidding about the stealing part of it, says Carolyn, but you did say you'd return it. I honestly don't know what you're talking about, he says, sipping a drink. Burke gave me the pen the day we had lunch together in Bangor--don't you remember? Vaguely, yes, says Roger. You certainly weren't very vague about it when I came home that night and told you I'd accepted a gift from Burke. Of course, the pen! Says Roger--it was kind of silver, wasn't it? Filigreed silver, and quite expensive, too, says Carolyn. Yes, I recall, very intricate work, says Roger, and I was quite right in insisting that you give it back to Burke. Then why didn't you? she asks--it was the night you were going to the meeting at the office--the night Bill Malloy died--we were in here, about nine, I guess, I showed you the pen and you took it from me and put it in your pocket--you said you were going to give it back to Burke. And you were furious with me, he says--I remember that very well. I saw Burke today--he looks at her--I did see him, I had to talk to him about something. I wish you would stay away from that man, says Roger. I mentioned the pen to him and he said you hadn't given it back to him, says Carolyn. So much happened that night, I suppose it's entirely possible, says Roger. He said when you came to the office, says Carolyn, you were going to give it back to him, but when you reached into your pocket, you said you didn't have it with you. I believe he's telling you the truth, says Roger, I remember something like that. Oh, I hope you haven't lost it, she says, it was so valuable. I'll be happy to buy you another, he says. It was from South America, she says. I'll fly to Rio first thing in the morning and pick one up for you, how's that? he asks. I wish you wouldn't joke about it, she says, it really is my responsibility. For goodness sake, Kitten, it must be here in the house somewhere, he says, it's bound to turn up sooner or later. Hands on hips, Carolyn insists she wants it to turn up NOW! Shall I call the sheriff and tell him to mount a full investigation? asks Roger mockingly. Please! she says, exasperated. Yes, Kitten? he asks mockingly. She giggles, and he chuckles. Look, you put your pen in the pocket the same night you went to the meeting in your office, she reminds him, but when you got there, you didn't have it with you--right? Right, he says. Now, since you went directly from the house to the meeting, you couldn't have lost it along the way, right? she asks.
He thinks that over--Yes, he says. So you must have left it somewhere here in the house, she says. Yes, I suppose so, he says, but he sounds concerned nevertheless.

Vicki is still picking up items from the beach, and she finds something really interesting--a filigreed silver pen exactly like the one Burke gave Carolyn! She takes it into her hand, then looks around at the water and the rocks.
Roger searches the couch cushions for the pen. Carolyn is looking, too, in the foyer, and when Matthew exits the kitchen, asks if he's seen a pen around the house. She describes it. No, he says. If you do see it, let me know, she asks, and he says of course. Carolyn joins Roger, who is now searching a chair cushion. Any luck? She asks. No, he says. She tells him she just asked Matthew, he'll look for it, too. Why the devil did you ask him? demands Roger, annoyed. I thought he might have seen it, she says. This is between you and me, says Roger, and I want to keep it that way. What difference does it make? she asks, all I want to do is find the pen! Not half as much as I do, says Roger, searching the sofa again. Carolyn asks him why he's so upset that she mentioned it to Matthew. You keep looking around here, he says, irritated, I've got to go right up. But I'd like you to help me, she says. Just do as I say! commands Roger. Matthew comes in through the front door and wants to talk to Roger, but the latter insists he doesn't have time. It's Mr. Devlin, says Matthew, his car just came up the drive. Roger stands there, frozen. There's a loud knock at the door. You want me to get Mz. Stoddard? asks Matthew. Yes, says Roger, frightened, I think you'd better. Carolyn puts her hand on her uncle's. It's come, says Roger--the end of our happy day.

NOTES: Vicki found the missing pen on the beach--near where Roger says Bill probably died. What does it mean? Was Roger lying after all? Did he kill Malloy and drop the pen on the beach?

It is fun to see the Collins family a bit happy for once, but now that Burke has knocked at the door, will there ever be happiness for them again?

I'm glad Carolyn made it up with Vicki, too. I imagine Vicki thinks she's living in a house of nuts!

Episode #76 - The Collins family has owned Collinwood for more than 130 years, and the family still wants to keep it in spite of the terror they've known there.

Burke knocks at the door, and both Carolyn and Roger are afraid. Reluctantly, slowly, Roger answers the door. Burke just walks in. I would like to see Mrs. Stoddard, he says. Is she expecting you? demands Roger. Probably not, says Burke, on the other hand, knowing her, she probably did expect me back. I have no idea where she is, insists Roger. She hasn't been off this place for 18 years, so I know she's here somewhere, says Burke--I want to see her, is that clear? Roger asks Carolyn to go find her mother. You already sent Matthew for her, Carolyn reminds him. So I did, says Roger. In that case, I'll wait! Says Burke. What did you come here for? asks Roger.
I came here for something I waited 10 years for--I've come for Collinwood!

Roger and Carolyn stare at Burke, shocked. I must have misunderstood you, says Roger--did you actually say you've come for Collinwood?--do you think we would hand it to you? I don't think you would hand me anything, says Burke--besides, the house doesn't belong to you, it belongs to your sister. Be that as it may, says Roger, do you think she would let you have this house. She may not have much choice in the matter, says Burke. Carolyn exchanges looks with Roger, then says to Burke, "You're not serious!" Oh yes, I'm serious, says Burke. You simply can't be thinking of a thing like that, objects Carolyn. I've thought of nothing else for 10 years, he says, his face stony. You said you meant us no harm, she reminds him. That, my dear Carolyn, is what the politician's call campaign oratory, says Burke--it's what you want to hear--but you're not necessarily expected to believe it. And crosses her arms over her chest and says, and I suppose everything else you said was campaign oratory, too? Well, I almost got elected, didn't I? he asks, taking off his coat--not if you'll run along, I have some things to say to Roger that are not for your tender ears. Never mind my tender ears, she says--I want to know if everything you said to me was a lie? I didn't want to lie to you, he says, I tried not to--but you made the temptation irresistible. This is ridiculous, says Roger, Carolyn, go get your mother! She goes upstairs. I can't trust that idiot Matthew to do anything right! rails Roger. That's right, says Burke, closing the drawing room doors behind him, you can't trust Matthew to do anything, can you? I don't know what you mean, says Roger. I mean he nearly killed me the other night in the Blue Whale, says Burke. I had nothing to do with that, says Roger. Or with Bill Malloy's death? asks Burke. Of course not! says Roger. Right in his face, Burke tells him he thinks he's wrong--I think you did have something to do with it, and someday I'll prove it--somehow, some way. It's already been declared accidental death, why can't you let it go at that? demands Roger. Because I don't agree, says Burke. You're acting just as you did when the jury gave the verdict about your manslaughter conviction, says Roger. Yes I am, says Burke, because I still feel the same way.

Carolyn exits the house to find her mother coming to the door. Matthew said I was wanted in the drawing room, says Liz, a shawl over her shoulders. Yes, says Carolyn, I was looking for you--it's Burke--he's in there with Uncle Roger, and terribly angry. What does he want here? asks Liz. He says he wants Collinwood, says Carolyn. He wants Collinwood? asks Liz. Shall I go in with you? asks Carolyn. You stay out of this, orders Liz--I'll take care of Burke Devlin.

Because you don't happen to agree with the jury, accuses Roger, you think you can come here and steal Collinwood! Not steal, says Burke, I've never stolen anything--not even five years out of a man's life. Are you insinuating that I stole five years from your life? asks Roger. I didn't give them away, says Burke--I didn't sell or lend them, therefore, they must have been stolen--by you--you should have served that time, not me. You have not one iota of proof for what you say! says Roger. I will have, says Burke, see, I don't put much faith in the old adage that murder will out--because I don't think it will out by itself, it has to be pried out with some sort of lever. And you think you have found that lever, says Roger. I think Bill Malloy found it, says Burke--and what he can find, I can. It is all dead, buried and forgotten, says Roger. Not forgotten, not for one minute, says Burke, not have I forgotten the reason I came to Collinsport! Liz enters at this moment, asking just why he came back to Collinsport. To raise myself to the status of a Collins, replies Burke. Of all the ridiculous nonsense, fumes Roger. Quiet, Roger, says Liz, and to Burke--do you think all of your money can make you into a Collins? You misunderstand me, he says, I didn't say I wanted to BE a Collins--look at you--a man afraid of his own shadow, and a woman who hasn't been off the grounds in 18 years! That's enough! says Liz, closing the double doors behind them--she bites her lip--my personal life does not concern you. You're quite right, agrees Burke, and for that outburst, I apologize, but I don't apologize for wanting this house, these grounds--for wanting Collinwood. She stares at him, eyes wide.

Why do you want this huge, gloomy house? she asks. Don't you see? asks Roger, he wants to move in here and pretend like he was born to it! Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, no, says Burke--that's not what I wanted--I think it's better to earn what you have than to be born to it. I'm not interested in your philosophy, says Liz, but I do know why you came back here against my express wishes! I wanted to talk business with you, says Burke, and since the mountain won't come to Mohammed, here I am. State your business, she commands. I already have, I want to buy Collinwood. Why do you want it? she asks. Maybe I want to found a dynasty! He says, walking around the room. That takes more than a house, she reminds him. Granted, he says, well, then, perhaps I want it to hang my portrait here, the one Sam Evans is painting--I think it would look particularly well hanging over this mantel. I think your portrait would look splendid wherever you choose to hang it, says Roger, why must you pick Collinwood for your art gallery? It doesn't matter one way or the other! says Liz--Collinwood is not for sale! Even if I were willing to pay more than it's worth? Asks Burke. Did you say more than it's worth? Asks Roger, going to Liz with hope in his eyes.

Outside in the foyer, Carolyn worries, pacing, playing with the neck of her dress. She goes upstairs. Vicki returns and Carolyn tell her not to go in there--Burke is here! Wait until your mother finds out, says Vicki. She's already found out, says Carolyn--she's in there with him now--and Uncle Roger. Was he invited? Asks Vicki. No, says Carolyn--they were right about him from the very beginning--he's determined to do exactly what they said he would do--destroy us. Don't be so melodramatic, says Vicki, what can he do, bomb the house? I wouldn't put it past him, says Carolyn--he wants to BUY Collinwood! That doesn't surprise me, says Vicki. What are we gonna do? asks Carolyn. I don't know about you, but I'm going upstairs, says Vicki. Oh, Vicki! says Carolyn, stamping her foot. Carolyn follows her up.

You'll never find anyone else who would want to buy this place! Roger argues with Liz. Burke smokes a cigarette. Collinwood is not for sale, says Liz. You yourself have said it's dreary, drafty and desolate, Roger reminds her--why not get rid of it? Sell Collinwood?--you must be joking, insists Liz. I am not joking, says Roger, the money we would get, we could get a place much more practical, a place we would really enjoy. Out of the question, says Liz, I can't imagine this place belonging to anyone but a Collins--this isn't the kind of place you buy and sell--our great-grandfather didn't buy it, he built it himself, for his family--and that's the reason why I kept it--in hopes David would someday feel the same way I do. I'm very sure that David would feel the way I feel about it, says Roger--I would be willing for the place to burn down tomorrow! Burke looks pleased. Then why not sell it to me? asks Burke. Whether Roger likes it or not is beside the point, says Liz, I'm sure you understand MY feelings about Collinwood, and how you must have known I would never consider selling it--I don't even know why you asked! Because I admire you, and always have, and I wanted to give you an opportunity to withdraw gracefully, and if you wouldn't do that, give you a fair warning--because I intend to own Collinwood--and the Collins Canneries--and the fishing fleet, and all the subsidiary enterprises. You realize, of course, that none of these things could happen, says Liz proudly. On the contrary, says Burke, I realize there is no way in the world you can stop me. Very well, says Liz, I think we understand each other. You don't understand this man at all, says Roger, sounding frantic--how could you? Do you understand me, Roger? asks Burke.
Maybe not, says Roger, but I think we should talk this over, he tells Liz. Burke smiles.

In Vicki's room, Carolyn impatiently says she wishes they'd finish whatever they're doing. Maybe they're haggling about the price, jokes Vicki, zipping up her dress--are you sure Burke wants to buy Collinwood? Yes! says Carolyn, he said so--she finishes zipping Vicki up--I'm afraid it's only the beginning of what he wants--I wish I didn't care so much. It would be mighty strange if you didn't, says Vicki. I can't imagine living anywhere but Collinwood! says Carolyn. Your mother hasn't folded yet, Vicki reminds her. I know, says Carolyn, but not long ago, she was trying to talk me into leaving--even wanted to send me to Europe. Maybe she wanted to give you a vacation from the place, suggests Vicki, it certainly doesn't mean she wants to sell it. She brushes her hair. No, says Carolyn, I suppose you're right--she never goes anywhere anyway. Then how could she sell it? asks Vicki. Carolyn smiles and says, "Unless she stays here with Burke." I wonder why he wants this place? Asks Vicki--when he could have any place in the world! I suppose it's symbolic of something to him, says Carolyn. If he did get it, muses Vicki... Don't even suggest that, says Carolyn. I just wondered what he'd do with it, says Vicki. It isn't exactly cozy, it is? asks Carolyn. Maybe he just wants to belong somewhere, to have roots, says Vicki. I don't know, but let's go back downstairs, says Carolyn, telling Vicki, who is still brushing her hair, to hurry up. Vicki grins.

Drawing room - Burke circles the brother and sister like a buzzard waiting for the spoils. That has nothing to do with it, Liz, says Roger angrily--I'm not worried about what he THINKS Evans knows or what Evans thinks he knows--I'm thinking about this place, this white elephant, and how wonderful it would be to get rid of it! It's out of the question, insists Liz, just as Burke has his reasons for wanting to live here, I have my personal reasons for wanting to stay, and I assure you, they're just as valid as his. Not only would we be rid of this place, says Roger, we'd be rid of the headaches that that go with staying on this place. Meaning me, says Burke. Yes, meaning Burke Devlin! says Roger. I'm not afraid of Burke Devlin or his plans, says Liz--I'll find a way to take care of things. How? sneers Roger. You think I expect to tell you in front of Burke? asks Liz. I mean business, says Burke, I'd advise you to take this opportunity. When I feel I have to take your advise, I'll be more than willing to give up, says Liz. But I've seen the assessment reports, I assure you I can afford a lot more than that, he says. My evaluation of Collinwood is not based on assessment, says Liz--there are certain things you can't put a value on--Collinwood is one of them. Burke, says Roger, let me talk to Liz for a moment, step out here. He ushers Burke into the foyer. Oh, I'll wait, Burke assures him. Roger returns to Liz and tells her to listen to him. Burke wanders the foyer. Vicki and Carolyn comes downstairs. Carolyn crosses her arms over her chest and asks Burke what changed him so. (He was putting on an act!) I haven't changed, he says, I'm, still the same obnoxious character I've always been. Carolyn tells me you want to buy Collinwood, says Vicki. That's right, says Burke. Buy why? asks Carolyn--what do you want with a house this size? I want plenty of room for my children to grow up in, says Burke. I thought you told me you meant no harm to my family, Carolyn reminds him. I'm not stealing the place, I offered to buy it, cash money, says Burke. What would you do with it if you did get it? asks Vicki. First? asks Burke--get rid of the ghosts. And then what? asks Vicki. Who knows? asks Burke. I think you're doing it all just to be spiteful, says Carolyn. To whom? asks Burke. I don't know, says Carolyn--maybe to Laura. This gets to Burke, but he carefully asks why he should feel spiteful toward Roger's wife. Because she married him instead of you, says Carolyn. You've been hearing a lot of stories, haven't you? asks Burke. I wasn't snooping, says Carolyn, if that's what you mean--everybody knows that story. Then maybe you'd better meet me sometime and tell me all about it, suggests Burke. Do you really want Collinwood, or are you just trying to hurt someone you think has hurt you? asks Vicki. Hurt me? asks Burke--what about Bill Malloy?--he tried to help me and he's dead! What's he got to do with Collinwood? asks Vicki. Because his body was found up here? queries Carolyn. That has nothing to do with it, says Burke. You still think Uncle Roger had something to do with it, accuses Carolyn. I made up my mind to have Collinwood before Bill Malloy entered the case, says Burke. I don't understand you, says Vicki, and I wonder if you do, either. Not always, admits Burke--if I did, I wouldn't offer to buy Collinwood--I'd find some other way to get it--or better yet, I'd just let the family live on this place, until it destroys every one of them (so he sees this as a twisted act of mercy?) This is our home! cries Carolyn desperately. It's more than that, says Burke, it's a house of evil--can't you feel it, oozing out of all the walls? That's not true, says Carolyn, I've read all of the history... Sure you have, interrupts Burke, you've read your own family's book--why don't you ask some of the people in town, who work at the cannery, the men who work the boats?--they'll tell you about the illustrious Collins family. Is that true? asks Vicki, or is this just another expression of hurt feelings? (Good zing, Vicki!) I only know what I've been told, says Burke. And you only believe what you want to believe, adds Carolyn. That's better than believing nothing at all, says Burke. All three of them look solemn.

Drawing room - For heavens sake, Roger tells Liz, it would be worth it to sell it at a loss if it meant getting Burke off our necks! I don't think it's my neck you're concerned with, points out Liz shrewdly. All right, then off my neck, he confesses. What's behind it? asks Liz--why are you so afraid of Burke? There's nothing behind it, he lies, and I'm not afraid of him--he's just an unendurable annoyance! I'm afraid you'll have to put up with it a little longer, insists Liz--I have no intention of selling Collinwood to him or anyone else! Why? demands Roger--why must you hang on to this relic of the past? Perhaps for that very reason--because it is a relic of the past, says Liz. Don't tell me it's because of Paul, says Roger, because I know better than that. She whirls around to look at him. You know nothing at all! she proclaims. I know that this blissful marriage you were supposed to have had was not so blissful at all, says Roger cruelly. You know nothing of the sort, says Liz--you were away at school. Roger gives her a sickly grin--we had holidays from school, he says, I was home then, and saw enough to know I'm right--that's why I could never believe this story about you sitting and waiting and grieving for your long lost husband to show up. I refuse to discuss it anymore, says Liz, and I also refuse to discuss even the remote possibility of selling Collinwood. She opens the doors and tells Burke, Carolyn and Vicki to come in--you might as well all hear what I have to say, Liz says. Why bore Vicki with our private affairs? asks Roger. Vicki's practically a member of the family, insists Liz--she's been through enough of this unpleasantness; there's no reason she shouldn't hear the rest of it. Can't we at least think about it for a little longer? asks Roger. No, says Liz--I'm sure Burke is anxious for an answer. Roger stands beside Vicki and Carolyn by the fireplace. Burke, no matter what you may think, says Liz, I have not up to now used the influence of the Collins or Collins money to hamper you in any way--but now you leave me no choice. All I did was offer to buy a piece of real estate, says Burke. No, you've done more than that, she says, you've stirred up a good deal of suspicion and unrest in Collinsport--you've made several accusations which you may be called upon to prove or face a slander suit. I don't think Roger would like that, says Burke. You're not dealing with Roger now, blares Liz, you're dealing with me, and the best lawyers I can find.
So it's out in the open now, says Burke. You want a fight, you'll get one, says Liz, but I promise you one thing--when it's over, you'll know you've been in a fight. Burke grins. Mrs. Stoddard, I'm sure I will, he says, and takes his leave. Carolyn rushes after him, as does Roger, but Liz stops him, telling him to let her make up her own mind. Out in the foyer, her family watching, Carolyn calls, "Burke." Did I forget something? asks Burke, putting on his coat. You forgot to say goodbye, she says. So I did, he agrees--goodbye, Carolyn. Isn't there anything I can say or do, something that will make you stop all this? she begs. No! he says, I'm sorry that you have to be involved--but you happen to be a Collins. MY name is Stoddard, she reminds him, Carolyn Stoddard. Carolyn Collins Stoddard, he corrects.
Stung, she runs into the drawing room. Vicki comes out and faces him. I guess that was pretty definite, Burke tells Vicki. Yes, she agrees, it was. Where do you stand in all this? he asks. Right where I've always stood, she assures him--on my own two feet. I see, he says--I hope those pretty feet don't get smeared with mud. Back in the drawing room, Roger listens, standing alone. Liz has a comforting arm around Carolyn. Burke leaves. Roger glares at Vicki, who walks away from him.

NOTES: The velvet gloves have come off; now Liz knows what Burke wants and Burke knows that Liz is prepared to fight. Carolyn is aligned with her family and Vicki stands alone. How all this will turn out is anyone's guess, but Roger wants to sell the house to get Burke off their backs, and doesn't share Liz' interest in keeping it in the family. Rog is still acting suspiciously, and we must wonder what the heck he's hiding, besides the fact that he did let Burke fry for the manslaughter charge he was responsible for.

Very tight, well-written episode. I loved the girls' discussion of what was going on downstairs--Carolyn's concern, given how many times she's claimed to hate Collinwood, seems rather odd. I guess, faced with the real threat of Burke Devlin, she realizes how much she does love the house and family heritage. She is, after all, Carolyn COLLINS Stoddard.

Vicki is still the plucky young woman, telling Burke exactly what she thinks of him and his actions. You get the feeling that if she does end up with mud on her shoes, she'll reach down, wipe off a clump and throat it in Burke's face. I think Burke admires the Collins ladies--Liz and Carolyn, and the probably-Collins lady, Vicki. It's Roger he has no use for, and he wants to hurt him as much as possible--through Liz.

This is good stuff! No mention of that pen, though!

Love, Robin