Author Topic: 1795 comments  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
1795 comments
« on: February 23, 2002, 01:46:05 PM »
Originally posted by Luciaphil on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 23, 2002 at 07:46:05:

You know every time I see this arc of the show I am continually amazed.

The freshness of some of the performances--you can practically see the renewed energy itself. For some of the cast, even the ordinarily fine actors, it's a beautiful thing to watch. Joel Crothers, for instance, was an actor with a lot of talent and his Nathan is a thing of beauty. For those of you who are seeing these episodes for the first time, I recommend paying very close attention to Louis Edmonds. What he does with Joshua Collins is superb and as good as he generally was, Edmonds really shines here.

Grayson Hall's occasional lapses into theatricality serve her really well here. On a mild fashion note, who did not adore the ostrich plumed boa thing? And Joan Bennett seems to have new focus. As for Frid, this is one of the few times you'll hear me say it, but I like his presence in this arc--maybe it's the fact that the character is grounded or maybe it's because he's not such a raving loonie, I don't know, but the whole thing just works.

The makeup people (did someone forcibly remove the trowels from their hands?) and the lighting crew came through and Barnabas does actually seem to be "younger" although the lowest I'm going here is 35--and no, I don't think Lara Parker looks a day younger than 25 either.

The writing, too, is better. And the sets . . . I love what Sy Tomashoff (sp?) did with these.

There are dead spots and the, IMHO, unfortunate introduction of Roger Davis, but you can't have everything.

Right now, I'm enjoying this all quite thoroughly.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: 1795 comments
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2002, 03:35:40 PM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on February 23, 2002 at 09:35:40:
In Reply to: 1795 comments posted by Luciaphil on February 23, 2002 at 07:46:05:

The Old House set does look wonderful! I kept wondering when Barn was going hang some new wallpaper, that peeling stuff in the foyer has to go! ::agree::

Also, I don't like Natalie's hair too much. . it can't decide if its long and flowing or done up. . .my one quibble with the makeup/costuming. . everything else looks very nice. Loved Naomi's 'haufrau' ensemble today (I mean yesterday).

J99
Julia99

Offline JCOLLINS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2002, 06:58:50 PM »
Originally posted by JCOLLINS on February 23, 2002 at 12:58:50:

But I love 1795 - and Edmonds does make a great "head of the family" and all the characters seem to come to life. Even though I was watching DS as a child - I never saw these first episodes and never knew why Ang was so hung up on Barnabas.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2002, 09:36:27 PM »
Originally posted by Vlad on February 23, 2002 at 15:36:27:
In Reply to: 1795 comments posted by Luciaphil on February 23, 2002 at 07:46:05:

I was amazed the first time I saw this transformation to 1795, too, and still am. I think it was during this storyline that I first came to really appreciate Louis Edmonds and Nancy Barrett. Great storytelling, too, in going back centuries into the Collins past to explain how and why things are the way they are in the present day.

This is the "Masterpiece Theatre"; of Dark Shadows, IMO - and the conclusion to this storyline the most powerful of the entire series!

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Old Salt

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2002, 11:19:46 PM »
Originally posted by Old Salt on February 23, 2002 at 17:19:46:
In Reply to: Re: 1795 comments posted by Julia99 on February 23, 2002 at 09:35:40:

This is my first time seeing the 1795 storyline, and, let me tell you -- I am stunned and amazed. The acting is great! Louis Edmunds, Jon Frid, Joan Bennett, Grayson Hall -- they are all excelling and showing their true talents. I can't wait till Monday to see more!!
Brian

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It is funny
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2002, 12:06:12 AM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on February 23, 2002 at 18:06:12:

The last go round of 1795 was the first time I had seen these episodes. I was so excited to see Roger Davis! I remembered him from Alias Smith and Jones and other things. One of those flashes from the past that you would NEVER come up with on your own, but you see his face and the name comes back as though indelibly engraven upon your brain cells. So, actually, I quite enjoyed his part.

This time around it won't be a surprise and I expect that his lack of a flair with this role will be more apparent to me. While it didn't strike me at the time, in looking back I can certainly see why others are less ecstatic about his acting in this series.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 02:44:03 AM »
I loved 1795. You have the same actors playing new and different characters, the introduction of Angelique, great drama. And of course we finally see for ourselves how Barnabas became what he was.

Every actor was just great but I must give special kudos to Joel Crothers for playing such a totally different character. Nathan Forbes was as different from Joe Haskell as night to day. Nathan didn't start out such a dastardly bastard but that's exactly what he turned into by the end of the storyline (much like Morgan Collins in the 1841 PT story).

It was as if the roles of Joe and Nathan had been played by two different actors. Bravo, Joel! I know you've passed on for many years but you deserve such high praise for being so versitile.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 03:21:23 PM »
My favorite time period as well.  What Joel did with Nathan was fantastic, and Louis Edmonds as Joshua was just superb and over the top.  I also liked the way the first half of the storyline was such an intricate web of deceit, and the second half had most of the action as a result.  Perfect pacing.  Let's not forget Abbigail Collins as well, marvelous acting there by someone who normally played a very different part.  And Rev. Trask - he was just so detestable, and it takes a fine actor to pull that off.  It was also greatly improved by the fact that when I originally saw it, I was just fascinated by the fact that this explains it all - this is really what is at the heart of the matter for the rest of the series.  Here's where it all started.