Author Topic: Is Angelique Mentally Ill?  (Read 2868 times)

David

Is Angelique Mentally Ill?
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:17:14 PM »
Seriously!
You don't want to hurt someone you love as badly as she hurt Barnabas--that woman is a deranged psycho!
I mean, still going at it 175 years later--what is wrong with her?
Julia acted more like someone who truly loved Barnabas.

So, should Angelique have seen a shrink or given a prescription for lithium?
What might her diagnosis be?
Discuss!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Is Angelique Mentally Ill?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 04:44:38 AM »
David:  I presume you are talking about Angelique in the original series.  I did think Angelique in the 1991 version was possibly psychotic, or at the very least someone with "borderline" personality disorder and very likely a born sociopath. 

In the clips I have seen from the Burton/Depp film, she's so cartoon-like, and the sequence recounting her original love affair (if one can call it that) with BarnaDepp is so curtailed, that I hesitate to comment. 

I was disappointed in the Video Watchdog roundtable to see someone who apparently had seen either the entire 1795 storyline, or at least some substantial episodes from it, claim that Angelique was "obviously insane."  I don't agree.  I thought one of the best parts of that story (and I am talking about the ORIGINAL telling of it, not the 1969 re-tread)  was how layered and nuanced Angelique's character was and how complex her motives were.  It seemed clear that she was romantically obsessed with Barnabas, but there was also a side to her determination to get him to marry her that was about her need for status, privilege, and all the things that "Mamselle Josette" had and she didn't.

After her "death," she does seem gradually to go off the deep end and become more straightforwardly malevolent.  An interesting facet of her evolution as a character is that in the original story, her powers came from her understanding of herbs, of the laws of sympathetic and contagious magic, and, I think, from the sheer force of her own will.  When she reappears as Cassandra in 1968, all of a sudden there's talk of the Devil and how her powers come from him.  That wasn't part of the original 1795 narrative.

G.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 05:51:18 AM »
I think she definitely showed traits of having Narcisistic Personality Disorder, and her penchant for pursuing repetitive, unequal, abusive relationships attests to this.  It seemed she had a lonely, deprived, loveless childhood, and then projected all of her buried needs and desires for love and affection onto Barnabas, which obviously wasn't going to turn out well.  It could also be that she was sexually abused by a man in one of the households she served in as a child, and her pursuit of Barnabas is an endless repeat of that trauma.  But Angelique is uninterested in looking back and facing the sad little girl she once was, but prefers to continue pursuing him through a grandiose, romantic vision of herself and the pipe dream of happiness that will come when they are finally together.  In reality, she will only have unequal, abusive relationships until she resolves her past issues. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:59:46 AM »
I think we can safely add "control freak" to the litany of interesting flaws that Angelique has exhibited at various times. And that aspect seems to run through OS, 1991, and 2012 versions.

Petofi

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »
I didn't really start to see it until 1970.  After she had been through two other guys, and then wanted to mess things up for Barnabas again...  At that point, I knew something was really wrong.  Then it got progressively worse.  In 1991, it was abundantly clear from the get-go.  And in 2012, our favorite witch was not only mentally deranged, but had deluded herself in a way that was not rationally conceivable.  I can only imagine what future versions will bring.  The newest Angelique will surely come with a free pass to Windcliff from the start. 

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 11:26:14 AM »
I wrote a story once that involved Barnabas having Bipolar disorder (I'm bipolar but on a cocktail of meds and therapy, so I know a little bit about the subject - lol.) I haven't tackled Angelique's disorders yet, but I agree with some of the posters in this subject.

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »
in each storyline and variation of the character there's a slightly different approach...

original 1795 angelique is hell-hath-no-fury-like-a woman-scorned taken to the nth degree. her decision to waste most of the collins family could be looked at as sociopathic, but she's competent and self reliant, and can at times he reasoned with. when she shows up in 1968 as cassandra she's sort of a hot mess. suddenly she's in league with the devil and is largely dependant on him, and later nicholas blair, for her powers, and is something of a screw up. her spells don't have the easy glide they did in 1795. she's the original "desperate housewife".

1897 and 1970 ang are as close as the character gets to rationality. there's some evolution. her "friendship" with julia in 1897 is a nice touch. she ends up regressing, going back to her tricks so to speak, but she seems somehow salvageable given the correct circumstances.

i'm currently plodding through 1840 so i'm not really sure what to make of that angelique yet. however i am confused. i thought the character came from martinique in the eighteenth century. how did she end up, as miranda, in collinsport in the seventeenth century? [ghost_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »
I would add that Vampilique in 1968 seems the most psychologically disturbed of all of the Angeliques--up until the 1840 Angelique who I almost don't want to talk about because the writing is so bad for her.  (I also obviously don't include PT 1970 Angelique who is a completely different character.)  Vampilique could be the poster girl for Narcissism gone through the roof. But of course, we can't look away for a second whenever she's onscreen.

Even Vampilique does have her moments of lucidity and thoughtfulness.  The 2012 version, from the clips I have seen, just seems like a nonstop trainwreck from the get-go.  And what is it with that baby-girl voice s h i t? But I digress.

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »
Vampilique - I love it G.! LOL

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:22 AM »
Angelique is probably my most favorite character from the series for the simple fact that she is so fun to analyze psychologically. For this topic, I agree with much of what Gothick has said thus far.

I think the common thread through all of the Angelique's we have seen (Parker's in the original series, Anthony's in 91, and now Green's in 2012) is that she is most simply a woman who is disgusted with her original station in life and seems determined to somehow move up through society. It just so happens that she decides to latch on to Barnabas in hopes that he will pull her out of the bowels of society enough to make a name for herself.

Certainly in the original series she was jealous of Baranbas' love for Josette, and I suspect, of Josette's life in general. She wanted to live the life of a wealthy woman and have all that life would bring to her. Much of her machinations during 1795 revolved around securing a man for herself that would allow her to live a better life. Wanting to conquer Barnabas was her primary goal and it seems easy for me, as a man (albeit a gay one) to say that Angelique thought she needed a man to better herself simply because I have gender bias and it is my perspective. But I don't think she necessarily was going after any rich man in town. She wanted Baranbas because she was enamored with him and if it helped our her overall life status that seemed as if it were a two for one deal.

We see this time and again throughout the series how Angelique is always going after Barnabas by way of Roger, Quentin, Julia, and anyone else she could manipulate in order to get to Barnabas. Much is made of, in all of DS' incarnations, Angelique's hell bent nature to make the Collins family pay for all that they have done to her. But no matter her actions, she isn't simply on a revenge kick against the family for no reason. It's highlighted in the OS more times than I can count that Angelique tries to blackmail Barnabas into loving her or being with her by threatening his family. It just never works out in her favor.

Despite the plot holes and numerous twists and turns, Parker's Angelique steadfastly remains as the best of the three incarnations of the witch simply because the show had the time to explore her character and really make her one of the most well rounded and full circle characters of the series as a whole. The 91 revival and the 2012 film simply did not have the time to devote to doing this and as a result Angelique seemed to turn out to be a caricature of herself and to seem utterly insane and without sound motivation for her actions. We see the common thread I spoke about above, especially in the 2012 movie with Angelique rising to power after turning the town against Barnabas in the 1790s. She becomes the wealthiest person in Collinsport and everyone and everything seemingly revolves around her in some way (which this Angelique seems to like because she seems very self centered and selfish. I don't think Parker's Angelique was quite as self-centered.)

I remember that one of my biggest qualms with the new film was that I kept getting the feeling that Angelique was happy with being the biggest fish in Collinsport because she had acquired fortune and was still close enough to the Collins family to keep an eye on them. However, I always imagined Angelique as being someone who had an insatiable appetite for power and always wanted to grow and be better than she was previously, which meant that she wouldn't have just been satisfied with conquering Collinsport, but would have wanted to expand beyond that realm throughout the rest of the world. Perhaps this is just my own imagination taking liberties with what we were shown. Nonetheless, I never got that feeling from watching the Angelique in the original series, but now that I think about it maybe that was because she never really gained complete and true control of the town Collinsport and because of that she always had something to go after and aim for--she never had time to rest on her laurels and count her dough.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
Hey Brandon, great post.  I personally think Lara Parker's performance as Angelique had much more subtlety and psychological layering than any of the others I have seen.  In the case of Lysette Anthony, who I do think is a very accomplished actress, it seems obvious that she was hampered by the script and the direction, not to mention that awful accent somebody insisted she put on.  With the other two (can't recall who played Ange in the 04 pilot), the projects were much shorter and, particularly in the '04 pilot, there just wasn't enough time to allow Angelique to be presented as a fully fledged character.

One of the reasons why Leviathan is still one of my favorite storylines is that we get to see a mature Angelique reflecting on the events of the past.  In one episode, she tells Julia about finding "The View of South Wales" in a painting gallery in NYC when she was working as a model and how she would go and look at the painting and think about the past, all the madness, all the deaths... there's a sense of genuine regret in Parker's voice in how she plays this scene. 

One of my theories about Angelique in 1840 is that they felt it would be easier to write her as an out and out villain and so she did not have any memories or understanding of the events in her life in the 20th century.  It was a cop-out to make the task of writing the show a bit easier, in other words.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »
i haven't seem 1840 all the way through but for me part of the problem with angelique during this period is that she's fighting against such an unworthy opponent.

as opposed to the mythic, legendary figure of josette dupres(and her various other incarnations over the centuries)her rival here is the wishy-washy nothing of a character that is roxanne drew.

watching poor lara try and work herself into a jealous froth over this lightweight is painful to watch. sure josette could be a bit wimpy herself, but her status within series mythology was so great that it elevated her into a potent and considerable rival. roxanne was so vacuous and dull ang could have swatted her away like a moth.

ang is more fun when she's going toe-to-toe with an equal of sorts.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 11:39:31 AM »
josette could be a bit wimpy herself
Of course I object to the characterization of Josette as wimpy, but I suspect that the scenes that I see as proving her not to be wimpy would be the very scenes that others would see as proving her to be wimpy.  Oh, well, it's off-topic.

I don't think that “Is Angelique mentally ill?” is a reasonable question, as applied to Angelique in the original series, because it ignores the eternal presence in her existence of Diabolos.  I keep thinking of how Jesus cast out demons, although I'm aware that this idea doesn't quite apply to Angelique.  In my next watch-through of Dark Shadows, I'll be thinking of Angelique in terms of her trying but failing to find happiness with the assistance of Diabolos - and also in terms of her inability to expel Diabolos from her existence.  It remains to be seen whether or not that supplies, for me, the thread that ties together all her actions.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 02:25:48 AM »
perhaps "wimpy" was not the best choice of words...

but my point was really that during most of the other time periods/storylines angelique was going up against a character who's importance in series lore was stratospheric. so while josette might not have actually posed a direct threat to ang she was still a force to be reckoned with.

roxanne was, in my opinion, the most poorly developed regular character on the series. it wasn't donna wandrey's fault. by the time she joined the program it was changing time periods every three months so there was never the time for any character development. yet in each new time period they just plunked her down and expected the viewer to somehow find her important and engaging and she just wasn't.

so during 1840 watching angelique try and work herself into a jealous rage over this poorly written and developed character just falls completely flat. it's a dud.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 03:25:45 AM »
One of my theories about Angelique in 1840 is that they felt it would be easier to write her as an out and out villain and so she did not have any memories or understanding of the events in her life in the 20th century.  It was a cop-out to make the task of writing the show a bit easier, in other words.

I agree.  I found it very odd that Angelique had apparently never been ''destroyed'' between the events of 1795 and 1840 and was able to simply adopt her (non-aging) human form without having to acknowledge she had lived other "lives" a la 1897, 1968, and 1970. 

roxanne was so vacuous and dull ang could have swatted her away like a moth.

[lol2]