Author Topic: Robservations 4/21/03 - #901-902 -Carolyn Hears THE Breathing; Liz Follows David  (Read 1315 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
901 - Paul and Barnabas stare at each other.  Paul looks up at Carolyn, who asks, "I am, aren't I?" No, cries Paul, the full meaning of his folly sinking in--I barely know her, swear it!
Don't deny it, says Barnabas, we can tell, Carolyn. That doesn't matter, says Carolyn, it's just a silly joke. She tries to get Paul to come with her--I'm taking him back to the hotel. Barnabas offers to help, but Paul insists on going with his daughter alone. Carolyn insists on helping.  Barnabas says, it's been a pleasure, Mr. Stoddard. They exchange a look.  We will see each other very soon, promises Barnabas--go with you father, Carolyn.  He smiles. What happened? Carolyn asks Paul--you seemed to be having so much fun when I came in. Fun?--that's how it all started, laments Paul, a very funny conversation in a bar. He grabs his daughter's arms and orders--go back to Collinwood, never see me again!  Refusing, she leads him toward the door. Roger is blocking the door, a weird tweed cap on his head--don't you remember me, Paul? he asks coldly.  I haven't forgotten you, Paul assures him, walking curtly past his former brother in law.  I've come to take you home, Roger tells Carolyn. I'm going with my father, insists Carolyn, and walks past him as Paul did. Roger closes the door and joins Barnabas. You shock me very much, says Roger, your meeting with Paul Stoddard...  I wasn't aware it was a crime, says Barn. I daresay he tried to charm you, says Roger. Not particularly, says Barn, no. You're fortunate, says Roger, he has a way of winning people over, and it would upset Liz very much if she knew you were friends with Paul. We aren't friends, Barnabas assures him. You were here with him before I came in, Roger reminds him. You do keep close track, says Barnabas, but to put the record straight, I met him casually and had no idea who he was until Carolyn came in--excuse me, I have important business to attend to. He rises from his chair and leaves without another word. Roger looks thoughtful, rubbing his gloved hand along his lip.

Carolyn brings Paul back to his room. He checks first to make sure it's safe. What did you expect to see? she asks. I don't know, he says.  You have some idea, she says--why can't you be honest with me? How can I be? he asks, I never have been, not even with myself--I'm the fellow who's so dishonest with myself, I didn't even know when I had it good. Why don't you let Julia examine you? suggests Carolyn, putting her hand on his shoulder. What are you talking about? he asks--when I came to the house, looking for you--no doctor can do anything for me.  No true, insists Carolyn, I don't understand what's wrong. And won't, he promises. But I want to, she says sincerely.  Paul covers his head with his hands and says, I wish I could fall asleep and wake up a thousand miles from here and believe all of this never happened. Hurt, Carolyn looks away. I didn't mean that, he assures her, I wasn't lying about how good it is to see you again, but I'm only making things worse--if only we could leave, go away, together, South America, Africa, the East, they could never find us there. Who? asks Carolyn--Mother?--Uncle Roger?--Have they been threatening you? No, says Paul, there's danger here, terrible danger, can't you feel it? She looks puzzled. Thank God you can't, he says, but you will--can't you go away with me?  She shakes her head. Why should you? he asks, what did I ever do for you? It isn't that I don't want to go away with you, she says, or might not sometime, after you and Mother become friends, it's just that now...  NOW is the time! he says desperately, before...before, anything else happens, he finishes lamely. Nothing has happened except in your mind, she says. Not in my mind, he says. I've listened very carefully, since this began, she says--I'm sorry, but it IS in your mind, I can't bear to think of what's happening to you, but you can be helped. By whom? he asks. Kneeling down beside him, she pleads--let me try. You want to take care of me? he asks--a father is supposed to take care of his daughter, and I've done a miserable job of that. Don't start hating yourself, asks Carolyn. I hope you never understand what that means, he says, and I hope you never will. I know I will, she says passionately--if I let you go away, or go away with you, whatever is wrong must be dealt with here--I can't let you leave, and we must take care of it here, it will only follow us, here in Collinsport is where your only hope lies. He shakes his head. "Then there is no...hope!" he cries, defeated.

Collinwood - Roger walks downstairs.  Carolyn returns home. They survey each other.  She accuses him of following her to the Blue Whale--I won't have it! You have no choice, he says. I'm not five yeas old! she cries. You're acting like it, her uncle says. He is my father, she retorts. He doesn't know how to be a father to you! says Roger.  How would you know? demands Carolyn. 20 years ago, says Roger, we drove him from this house; I'm sure that's his story, and he's no doubt tried to turn you against Liz. He hasn't, says Carolyn. He will, predicts Roger, he's an unscrupulous, dangerous man. And what are you basing that on? asks--the fact that you've always disliked him?  I know him, says Roger.  How could you? she asks--can't a person change in 20 years?  A person, yes, but not Paul Stoddard, says Roger. You're the most rigid man I've ever met, says Carolyn, and I won't listen to you anymore. Yes you will, says Roger, pulling her back, because I will prove to you I'm right about Paul. Try, it, says Carolyn. You will do it for me, says Roger, handing her a check--five thousand dollars, payable to Paul--and he must leave town to get it, I suppose, says Carolyn, barely controlling her anger--everything can be solved with money! In this case, yes, says Roger, but you are wrong about one thing
--he doesn't have to leave town, he can do that of his own accord--when he has this money, nothing in the world will keep him here, not you or anyone else.  You're wrong, says Carolyn. She grabs the check from his hand--"You'll see," she promises. No, you will, says Roger, I'm surprised about you, you're usually so realistic about people. He walks into the drawing room. Holding the check in both hands, Carolyn looks ill.

Megan holds Joseph, singing "Lullaby" to him. Barnabas enters the shop, smiling, pronouncing it "A picture of motherly love."  Come look at him, she says--see how beautiful he is? He is, agrees Barnabas--he's perfectly formed, growing so fast. Yes, she says, I sometimes wish he would stay a baby forever. You know that isn't possible, he says.  Doesn't keep me from wishing, she says wistfully. Before we know it, says Barn, he'll be a strong healthy boy, running around.
No, says Megan, not before we know it, there is still time. Carolyn comes in--am I late again? she asks--see how well I've adjusted to the world of business, she tells Barnabas, I'm never on time!  Don't be silly, says Megan, I couldn't have left any earlier and I have just one errand to do. She puts Joseph back in the cradle and leaves. Barnabas is grinning. I owe you an apology, says Carolyn--I hated you seeing my father like that--everyone in the family is convinced he's totally worthless--I hope you understand what really terrible shape he's in. I haven't taken his antagonism personally, says Barnabas. Carolyn puts her hands on his arms--I so glad, she says--he needs friends.  He needs you, amends Barn.  Carolyn agrees--but I don't know what to do--he imagines someone is after him. Is it entirely his imagination? asks Barn. As far as I can see, yes, says Carolyn, but he keeps trying to get me to go away. Are you going to? he asks. He must stay here, insists Carolyn. I quite agree, says Barnabas.  I've got to help him--here, says Carolyn. While it might sound strangely Victorian, says Barnabas, love might prove to be the cure for Paul--your love. I can offer him that, she says. And you will, says Barnabas, and soon you will see a remarkable change--he needs someone to trust him, someone who will do as he asks without question--he seems a battered man, and only you can change that. She looks hopeful, smiling.

The object of her concern lies on his bed, twisting and turning. Someone enters his room.  Paul sits up. I've awakened you, says Barnabas heartily, and such a lovely day to be sleeping. He opens the blind.  Have you come to take Carolyn away? Paul asks. How can I?--she's not here, points out Barnabas. Why are you here? asks Paul. I take an interest in how you are, answers Barnabas. You are interested only in Carolyn--why do you want her? asks Paul. We need her, says Barnabas, and you were never that interested before, when you made the deal with Strack. He sits beside Paul on the bed. How was I to know? asks Paul. Would it have made you turn him down, if you had? asks Barn--be honest. I didn't realize how much she meant to me, says Paul--didn't think--you've got to tell me what you will do to her. She will receive a great honor, says Barnabas. I refuse to believe that, says Paul. It doesn't matter what you believe, says Barnabas, as soon as we require her, you may leave Collinsport, but not before--I advise you not to leave before!--when you do leave, you will find yourself more successful than you've ever been. I don't want that again, insists Paul. You have no choice, says Barnabas. "I will not have it!" shouts Paul. You will do whether you want to or not, says Barnabas--you see, we do keep our bargains, that is why we expect you to keep your. I want my daughter back, free, says Paul. Not possible, says Barnabas. "I will make it possible!" screams Paul. There is no way to erase that night, says Barnabas. Paul reaches into a drawer and pulls out a gun. "But I can kill you, Mr. Collins," he says, pointing the gun at Barnabas.  If I die, someone else will replace me, says Barnabas. They will get this, too! shouts Paul, who fires--but nothing happens.
Put the gun down, advises Barnabas, laughing. It was loaded, cries Paul--you got to it somehow! Of course it was, says Barnabas, we think of everything, we must--we knew about the gun, as we know about your efforts to get Carolyn to leave here, another thing you will not do--we know everything you intend to do before you do it. Beaten, Paul turns away from him. The phone rings, but he doesn't move to answer.  Pick it up, Barnabas orders.  Paul does, very reluctantly. It's Carolyn.  I'm feeling better, he says, much better. I'm glad, she says. I made a fool of myself, laments Paul. Barnabas understands, she assures him. I've had sleep, he says, and things look different. I'll stop by and see you later, she promises. Yes, please, he says, then, with a desperation Carolyn doesn't hear, adds, "I have no place to go." Good bye, love, he bids her. Barnabas praises him--Carolyn must not be alarmed, he says--I'm glad you're beginning to see things our way--it will take time, but we are very patient. Paul closes his eyes, knowing they're going to force him to keep his end of the bargain--and something terrible is in store for his daughter.

Antique shop - Carolyn tells Megan, who is rocking Joseph, what a shock it is having a father after all these years, a pleasant shock.  I can't imagine growing up without a father, says Megan--I'm an only child, too, you know. (whoops!) Carolyn is puzzled--you said you have a sister--the baby is hers. A stepsister, says Megan quickly--after Mother died, Father married a widow with two daughters. (Good catch.) I should take him upstairs, says Megan, I want to show you a marvelous pewter candlestick Philip found at the Fillmore farm yesterday--I'll bring it down. She heads upstairs with Joseph, the Blanket Baby (and very stiff today). Carolyn answers the phone; it's Philip, asking for Megan. She writes down a phone number-- Megan will call you back right away, she says. She's about to shout upstairs when she remembers the sleeping baby, so she goes up herself. When she gets upstairs, she hears the Amazing Breathing Lung sound emanating from a room at the top of the stairs. She listens...

NOTES: OK, that breathing sound is ridiculous, and was even to me back in 1969, but you have to wonder what kind of creature makes such a noise.

Barnabas and Paul continue to go back and forth, but Paul is not the victor and now knows he is powerless. He plays beaten man very well, quite different from Jason McGuire.  Barnabas, though human, seems to have some powers--the gun pointed at him didn't work.  Or was that the Leviathan influence?

Good cover-up for her slip; too bad Megan doesn't really have a sister.  Hope Barnabas doesn't find out, she might get time in the punishment room.

902 - Nice intro, Dennis Patrick, you've got a great voice.  Carolyn listens to the breathing sound, puzzled, and reaches for the doorknob.  Megan comes out, and says, in an ugly, frightening voice, "What are YOU doing here??"

What's wrong? asks Carolyn.  Megan locks the door and says, the baby is asleep. I heard such a strange sound, says Carolyn.  I don't know what you could have heard, says Megan. Strange breathing, says Carolyn.
Oh, that, says Megan, it's the radiator. Couldn't have been, says Carolyn.  I was afraid the first time I heard it, too, says Megan--I had Philip searching for a monster--being more sensible Philip found it--we must get it fixed--I'll call the man tomorrow. There was a phone call from Philip, says Carolyn--that's why I came upstairs.

Antique shop - A man peers through the window and sees Carolyn and Megan come downstairs. Megan apologizes to Carolyn for being abrupt--you know how hard the baby is to put to sleep.  I've never heard the baby cry, says Carolyn--he's a good baby. I'm overly concerned, says Megan, not having any children of my own--I dialed, the line is busy. Megan sees the man looking through the window, and Carolyn follows her gaze.  Carolyn is unnerved.  He's just passing by, says Megan. No, he's watching us, says Carolyn, who goes to look back at the man--but he runs off. Megan looks perturbed. Suddenly, one by one, all the lights in the shop go out, leaving the women in darkness. "What is happening here?" asks Carolyn, scared.

The lights are on in David's room. He's asleep on his bed, fully clothed. He awakens and sits up. The Leviathan book opens by itself.  He takes it in his arms and reads, "The day shall come when the child shall be dressed in glorious garments..."  Interrupted by Liz, he puts the book in a desk drawer and opens the door.  I hope you noticed I knocked, says Liz, I'm beginning to respect your privacy--I thought I heard you talking to someone. I was reading a schoolbook aloud, he says.  She offers to check his homework, or whatever he's completed. No, I'd rather do it all at once, he says. Do you have a window open?--it's so cold, says Liz.  No, he says.  It's the chill of death, she says.  David grins, unnerving his aunt, who asks, what's wrong with you?  He asks about "your husband, who's back in town"--that's the man I saw with Carolyn--my uncle.
How do you know about him? asks Liz. I hear things, says David.  We have to do something about getting you friends your own age, says Liz angrily, and walks out. David goes to his dresser, takes out his wallet, and pulls out a wad of cash. He removes more money from under his mattress.

Paul calls Liz.  I'd hoped never to hear your voice again, she says.  You can hang up, invites Paul, but if you do, you will lose Carolyn. What do you want? she asks. I want to see you, he says, to hear the truth, what must happen. You never think of anything beyond the next five minutes, accuses Liz--I know what must be done to save Carolyn from YOU. Please, he begs, I must tell you, that's why I want to see you, don't you recognize that I'm trying to be honest?  Liz struggles with her better judgment, and agrees to come to his hotel. Carolyn comes out--what's wrong, Mother? She asks.  Nothing, says Liz. Was that Father on the phone? asks Carolyn--I think it was. Leave me alone, Liz orders her daughter.  She grabs her coat and leaves.

Drawing room - David greets Carolyn, who starts to tell him, you should be...  "in bed, or doing my schoolwork--or is there something else I've forgotten?" finishes David. You seem to have covered the alternatives nicely, says Carolyn. David picks up the newspaper--I want to read it, he says. What part do you read first? asks. The financial section, replies David--I've grown up (putting together a stock portfolio for Joseph, perhaps?), or haven't you noticed?--you've been too busy with your father, I guess--sometimes I wish I was an orphan (a poor one?), fathers DO get impossible sometimes, don't they?  Read the paper, says Carolyn, annoyed, turning away. You don't want to talk about him, then, says David. Carolyn notices what he's reading.  What's so interesting about Brewster's advertisement? She asks. Nothing, he says. I didn't know sales interested you, she says. They're open nights now, he says, until Christmas, tearing out a page. You aren't going into town tonight, she says.  David agrees--it's late--I was just thinking of Christmas, making my list.  Think about it when you go to bed, suggests Carolyn--I'll call Maggie. I can go myself, says David petulantly. I'm glad you realize that, she says, and leaves the room. He checks to make sure she's gone, closes the door to the kitchen area, takes his coat and leaves the house.

Someone wearing a trench coat and a watch (we don't see his face), enters Collinwood (the place is never locked). He wanders the foyer, checking out Barnabas' portrait so we get a good look at the watch. He goes into the drawing room.  When he hears Carolyn calling David, he hides behind the draperies. Carolyn enters, calling her cousin. She fixes the paper and turns off the lights, then goes upstairs. The man comes out of his hiding place, walks across the living room, foyer and out the door.

Paul hands Liz a glass of brandy he ordered from room service--your favorite, he says. Twenty years ago, corrects Liz, voice thick with sarcasm.  Oh, you've changed? he asks. Yes, she says icily. I still like it, he says, and drinks it. I didn't come to have a drink, she says, and don't bother playing the sentimental husband with me--what you remember doesn't interest me, so please stop. You suspect everything I say to you, don't you? demands Paul. Yes, says Liz. That makes it very difficult when I want to be sincere, and I do, about Carolyn--I want to be sincere. I'm waiting, she says. The famed Collins impatience, rants Paul, everything must run according to YOUR  timetable! If you say so, she says. He grabs her and says, there is only one solution to Carolyn, and only you can make it happen--you must get her out of Collinsport ASAP.
Why--just tell me why? orders Liz.

I won't do anything without being told why, insists Liz. You must take Carolyn on a cruise around the world, without saying anything to anyone, says Paul--lawyers, Roger--no one must know! Liz bursts into laughter--I almost took you seriously, she says, but as usual, you went too far--go around the world secretly?--you've lost your mind. She starts to leave; he begs, don't go.  Then tell me what this is all about, she says. It's...I can't bring myself to say it, says Paul. Can't you think, make it up? chides Liz. You'll think I made it up, says Paul, you won't believe it. I'm glad you realize that before saying it, she says, and starts to leave again.  If you go out that door...warns Paul.  "You'll have to think up another absurd telephone call to make up to me," finishes Liz. Something terrible will happen, insists Paul. What? she asks. He hesitates, then says, you know what I'm capable of doing, you used to understand the things that happened to me that never happened to anybody else. "What have you done, Paul? she asks. He clasps his hands together and says--a terrible thing--I didn't know when it happened. Stop apologizing and tell me what you've done, she says. The night I left Collinsport, 20 years ago, says Paul, that's when it happened. The phone rings. Paul doesn't answer. What's wrong? she asks. The phone rings on. Liz says if you won't answer the phone, I will. "NO, don't touch it!" screams Paul.  Liz does anyway--no one is there. She hangs up. Paul turns away, sits down. I heard breathing, says Liz--you're in trouble, and as usual, you're trying to involve all of us. You ARE involved, Paul says. We are NOT, she retorts, I will never be able to figure out your latest plot, but I don't see how taking Carolyn around the world will help--your devious mind is full of something--if anyone should leave town, Paul, it's you, but I've s already told you that--good night!--you almost had me believing you, she says, I'm grateful for that telephone call. And she leaves. Paul picks up the phone, and orders the desk not to put anymore calls thought, anytime, as long as I'm staying here--no more calls at all!

Liz leaves the Collinsport Inn, and spies David entering the antique shop. David? she asks, and heads that way. David is delivering a box from Brewster's to Megan. Liz enters the shop; Megan greets her. Liz looks around.  Can I help you? asks Megan. I saw David coming in here, says Liz--he should be in bed, of course. You can see he isn't here, says Megan. Strange, says Liz, he was carrying a package very much like this one (on the desk). Oh, says Megan, this is mine, I bought it at Brewsters. I saw him, insists Liz--perhaps he saw me coming, and is hiding--excuse me if I try finding him. There's no need to go upstairs, Mrs. Stoddard, says Megan, I was just there and would have heard him. I acknowledge that this is an imposition, says Liz, but surely a child can't be running around Collinsport at all hours
--shall we look for him now? Megan reluctantly nods, and leads the way upstairs.

David enters the room with the breathing creature.  It's all right, he assures it--I brought you what you need--I will always look out for you, it's my duty, and you'll like what I brought for you, I know you will.  David hears Liz calling to him.  She knows I'm here, he realizes.  "David!" calls Aunt Liz.

NOTES:  Is she going to open that door and discovering her nephew with the Leviathan Lung Brat?  Will she go nuts?

What did David buy the LLB at Brewster's?  Raiment's means clothing.  David must have bought the kid something to wear.

Poor, pitiful Paul.  How hard it must be to KNOW something is wrong, to know that a family member is one of THEM--and to know that your own daughter, who you gave away 20 years ago, is going to go through. . .what?  Not knowing is even more frightening.

What do you think of this storyline so far?

Love, Robin