Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0267  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0267
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »
Robservations - #267

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0267

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »
I like how Barnabas, while he does worry about Elizabeth, also uses his concern as a means of getting closer to Vicky.

Barnabas fishes for information from David about the little girl who has appeared outside the Old House, and learns that she likes to sing London Bridge Is Falling Down.  I wonder if, when Barnabas and Sarah were both alive, he got as tired of London Bridge as certain Dark Shadows fans claim to do.  (Not me, I hasten to note.)  Barnabas has just been discussing the nature of death with Elizabeth.  He knows how it works for him, but now he's got to start wondering how it works for Sarah.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
Barnabas is concerned about Elizabeth, but I don't think he's feeling any human emotions. At this point, he wants her to live so he can stay in the Old House. He tells her, I don't usually get involved in the affairs of other people. it's pretty clear that he's only looking out for his own interests.

When Barnabas brings Elizabeth back to Collinwood, David calls to her cheerfully, but she ignores him completely--a sure sign that something is horribly wrong.

Fun conversation between Barn and David! We now have a few clues as to why the terrible, unhuman vampire talks to children with such ease. Barnabas starts when David tells him that Sarah sings "London Bridge," but he manages to conceal it and tells David, You're quite a young modern man!  Well, if you do see her, tell her not to play at the Old House. I’m not allowed to play near the Old House, David answers primly--winning this round!--and heads for the kitchen.

When Barnabas goes to see Vicki, we hear a bit of "London Bridge" even though Sarah is nowhere nearby--music blooper?

Vicki tells Barnabas that she's having dinner with Burke. Evidently the idea of even a potential rival hadn’t occurred to Barnabas, because Burke’s name stops him in his tracks and gives him his second shock in less than ten minutes.

Apparently Burke doesn't come to the Great House to pick Vicki up for dinner. And later, she rushes out of the BW despite his protests. Thus Vicki has come into town alone and returned to Collinwood alone, completely disregarding the curfew that has been imposed on the town.

I have to wonder what Barn thinks of 20th-century dating rituals, so different from the courtship rituals and arranged marriages he knew way back when. You can take the vampire out of the 18th century, but you can't take the 18th century out of the vampire!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
Although I do agree that Barnabas wants to remain at Collinwood, I don't agree that he doesn't have ANY human emotions at this point. Granted, they're mostly negative at this point, but we do see glimpses of his human side, rare as they are. His telling Vicki and Carolyn of Josette's death, clearly pained him, and his telling Dr. Woodard that he secretly loathes the madman causing all the terror in Collinsport, I believed him when he said that. And his concern for Elizabeth isn't merely for his own interests, I honestly believe he does care about her....[spoiler] probably because she's the image of his late mother, Naomi, and doesn't want to see her come to the same end his mother did. [/spoiler]

I'm surprised that Barnabas didn't hear about Vicki and Burke dating at least once. Of course he was still focused on making Maggie into Josette that he didn't really care at the time.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »
Very true, IluvBarnabas--I stand corrected. (And I'm aware of the info in your spoiler.) The Josette story is the underlying motive for almost everything Barnabas has done so far.

And as I even said myself, he is very comfortable with David--not quite what you'd expect from a fearsome vampire. Plus the various Sarah sightings are starting to get to him.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:39:13 AM »
What happened to my post? I posted it in epsode 266, I think, by accident, asked to have it removed. I thought it would end up in the right spot, here in 267. Bummer.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:03:54 AM »
Janet, the posting time just needs an update (so that it won't show up as the first post in this topic.)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0267 / was: Discuss - Ep #0266
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 04:29:26 AM »
I realize Bob the bartender needs a day off now and then, but did you get a load of his replacement? Yikes! He looks like a cast member from Night of the Living Dead.

Plenty of extras shaking their booties and I found myself more interested in them than I did in what Burke and Vicki were talking about. (Although Anthony George looks to be a smooth dancer.)
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:52:18 AM »
I think Barnabas's rage against Willie, egomania, and aloofness are all very human emotions, too. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »
Will Barnabas prey on Elizabeth or save her?  That seems to be the set up. Antony George gets special mention in the opening as if anyone could forget. Barnabas seems to hint at a jealousy over Burke.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »
Antony George gets special mention in the opening as if anyone could forget.
Yes, it happens several times, and every time it happens, I think, "Don't remind me."