Author Topic: #0073/0074: Robservations 07/12/01: Two Collins in the Monster's Lair  (Read 1308 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #73 - Yesterday is alive in the great house on Widows' Hill, and with it the mystery of sudden death, a death that seems to center the attention of many people on one office in Collinsport.

Sam walks down a tree-lined street to the sheriff's office. He hesitates, then goes in. Him, too? says Sheriff Patterson into his office phone. His takes on a humorous pose awaiting Sam's entrance. Hope I'm not disturbing you, says Sam. Me? asks Patterson, I haven't a thing to do in the world right now, and there's nothing I'd rather do than spend a few minutes with my good friend, Sam Evans--sit down. Sam grins, saying he was just passing by, hasn't much time. Time for coffee? asks Patterson. Sam sits and says he doesn't want to bother him, he's just passing by. That is what you said, isn't it? says Patterson--and here I've been wondering why you're so late. Sam looks perplexed. Me? he asks. Yes, I thought you were sick or had to leave town, says Patterson, or some foolishness like that. I've got no reason to leave town, Sam assures him. I didn't say you did, says Patterson, but the thought occurred to me when you hadn't showed up--see, I've been waiting for you to be "just passing by and dropping in" since nine this morning--be right back--I just want to get this report on its way.
He leaves. Sam sits there, nervous.

Patterson returns to the office. Sam asks what made him so sure he was coming to see him. Malloy is dead, isn't he? asks Patterson, and you are an interested party. Sure, he was a good friend of mine, says Sam. Sure you won't have a cup of coffee? asks Patterson--I'm afraid that's about all I can offer you. No, thanks, says Sam, I was on my way to the stationery store to pick up a sketch pad and had no intention of stopping here at all. Then why did you, Sam? asks the sheriff. I'm an impulsive man, says Sam, your office was there and so was I and I thought I'd drop by and see if anything new had come up. Your impulses are a little slow today--Burke and Roger beat you by a good couple of hours, says Patterson. They were here today? asks Sam casually. Sure were, says Patterson--just dropped by and wanted to visit, same as you--if I didn't know you were all interested in the same thing, I'd think I'd picked up a whole new batch of friends. (I love his sly sense of humor.) What did they want? asks Sam. Same as you, says the sheriff, all fired up to hear about when the coroner's report is coming in on Bill Malloy--that IS what you're after, isn't it? I didn't say...yeah, I suppose so, admits Sam. Can't say I blame you--for being interested, that is, says Patterson--I've been running around for days, trying to find out, was Bill drowned, or murdered, and everywhere I turn, there were you, Burke and Roger right smack in the middle. I had nothing to do with it, says Sam indignantly. Maybe not, says Patterson, maybe none of you did, maybe the coroner will bring in a decision of accidental death, you can stop worrying--you can set up your easel and paint yourself a couple of dozen sunsets. When do you think you'll get the answer? asks Sam. Today, Patterson replies, only a matter of hours now before you'll know if you'll be Sam Evans, the murder suspect, or Sam Evans, painter--you sure you won't have some coffee? Distracted, Sam replies no, looking like he wished he knew the decision now.

David is entering the house when Liz calls him into the drawing room. He looks very small as he walks toward her, unbuttoning his coat. Where have you been? she asks. Outside, playing, he says. Miss Winters has been looking for you, she tells him. She's back? he asks, disappointed--I thought she wasn't going to be here anymore--I was sure you fired her or she quit or something. (This kid is a hoot!) No, she's still here, says Liz. He makes a face and hits the piano gently--great, just great, he says sarcastically, she didn't give me any lessons today--she never showed up at all. (Tattletale.) I know all about that, says Liz, your father took her to the cannery. I thought she quit, he says, grimacing. He sits on the piano bench and Liz sits beside him. She explains that he's going to have to get used to the idea that Vicki will be his tutor for a long time. Even if I never get to like her? he asks. You've never really tried, she says. I shouldn't have to try, insists David--either you like somebody or you don't. It isn't as simple as that, says Liz, particularly if you're a little boy who finds it difficult to like anybody. But I like you, he says. That's only one person, she says. I like Mr. Devlin, that makes two, says David. I don't think I like the company you're putting me in, she says. Why do you hate him so much? asks David. I don't hate him, says Liz. He told me to call him Burke, says David. It's difficult to explain, says Liz, there are many things you wouldn't understand. I bet it's about Mr. Malloy, says David. Why don't you go upstairs and tell Miss Winters you're back? suggests Liz. See? says David, you're treating me like a kid--Burke wouldn't do that. Oh, what would he do? asks Liz. If I asked him about Mr. Malloy, he'd tell me, says David, he'd even tell me if the sheriff found out who killed him yet. Mr. Malloy wasn't killed, says Liz, he drowned accidentally. Burke doesn't think he drowned, says David. I don't really care what he thinks, says Liz. Burke would tell me anything, says David--that's why I really like him. You don't know anything about him, says Liz. He's my friend, says David. If I told you he wasn't to be trusted, asks Liz, would that make any difference? No, says David, 'cause I wouldn't believe you. She rises from the bench and tells him that's enough. I'll bet that's what you told the sheriff, says David, I'll bet you even told him Burke killed Mr. Malloy.
Go to your room, orders Liz. It's not true! cries David--Burke's my friend and he didn't kill anyone!--and he runs upstairs.

That's about it, Patterson tells Sam--my full report is on its way to the coroner right now--they'll probably call me in for a little extra questioning and that will be it. Which way do you think it will go? asks Sam. There's another question I've been hearing all day, chuckles Patterson. You must have some idea, says Sam. We've had our little visit, says Patterson--you still have that sketch pad to buy, so go do it--he opens his door--leave me with a few minutes peace before I get the call from the coroner. Do you think you'll be busy after he calls you? asks Sam. That depends on the decision, says Patterson--chasing down a homicide is not like directing traffic. You think the finding will be accidental death? asks Sam. That's not something I'd care to speculate on, says the sheriff. You must know something! yells Sam. I know you're getting all worked up, says Patterson. Why shouldn't I be--you said so yourself, says Sam--you gathered the facts, you asked all the questions--don't tell me that all those facts and questions don't add up to something. I'll tell you this much--when the coroner calls me in, and he will, one of the things he's going to want to know about is attitude! What it accidental death or homicide? aks Sam. Attitude, Sam--how u, Burke and Roger have reacted--he's going to want to know just how nervous you are. Wait a minute, says Sam, smiling, don't think I'm getting nervous about this thing. Then what are you? asks Patterson. Just interested in the coroner's finding, seriously interested, says Sam, if you think I'm getting nervous, that's just the way I come across. I see, says Patterson. Look, says Sam, maybe you're right, maybe I ought to be patient and wait. Not much else you can do, says Patterson. Sure, agrees Sam--I'd better go get that sketchpad and be running along--see you--and he slaps the sheriff's shoulder. Don't worry, says Patterson, I'll be in touch. Sam leaves.

David, seated on the table, dials the foyer phone. He asks for Burke. Liz exits the kitchen. All right, says David, then hastily hangs up when he sees his aunt. I thought I told you to go upstairs, says Liz. I'm going, says David. Just a minute, she says--who were you calling? Nobody, he says. I want an answer, she orders. I didn't talk to him, says David. Was it your "friend"? she asks. I had to tell him, pleads David, I had to! Tell him what? asks Liz. You'll just be mad at me, says David. What did you have to tell Burke? she asks. About you and the sheriff, he says, that the sheriff thinks he killed Mr. Malloy, and you do, too! That's nonsense, says Liz, when did I ever say that? In there, just a little while ago, says David, and I think Burke ought to know so he can do something about it. I don't think anybody killed Mr. Malloy, says Liz. I know, but that's what you said, says David. Then how could I also accuse Burke of murdering him? I don't know, but that's what it sounded like to me, says David. It's your imagination, she tells him, nothing else. What about the sheriff? aks David. I can't tell what's going on in his mind, says Liz, I'm sure he thinks as I do--does that satisfy you? David crosses his arms and legs and says he's sorry, but he doesn't think she's telling him the truth. I do not lie to you, she says. You really think Mr. Malloy was murdered, says David, but you keep telling everybody he wasn't, because that's the way you want it to come out. (Smart kid!) What am I going to do with your wild imagination? asks Liz. Mr. Malloy WAS killed, says David, just like you really think, but Burke had nothing to do with it. I never said he did, says Liz. But you think it, says David. All right, go upstairs to your room, stay there, says Liz--lie on your bed, do your studies, I don't care, but just go upstairs. He does. Liz picks up the phone and calls Patterson--I ants to speak to you about the coroner's findings, she says--then the final decision should come quite soon?--thank you--goodbye.

Sam walks into the Inn's restaurant. Maggie is busing tables and offers him coffee. He sits at the counter, refusing coffee, saying he wants to get off his feet. Better here than at the Blue Whale, she says--look at that brow--what have you been doing, thinking deep, artistic thoughts? You are looking at a man who's been thinking deep, realistic thoughts, he says. Uh oh, that's bad, says Maggie--did you hear the latest scoop?--I understand the coroner's going to decide on the Malloy thing today. That's good, says Sam, it will be nice to have the thing cleared up. Not from what I hear, says Maggie, eager to impart gossip. Do your old man a favor, he asks, keeps your hotel gossip for the back stairs?--life is far more important than the gabble gabble of idle tongues. How can they be idle if they're gabbling? teases Maggie. All right, make fun of me, says Sam--seriously, life has much more meaning than what simply happens in a small-town coroner's office. Not in Collinsport, that's for sure, says Maggie. Maybe you ought to leave, he suggests. When?--now?--do I have time to change my uniform? she asks. I'm trying to talk seriously to you about your future and you carry on like it's a two-day vaudeville act, says Sam. Hey, she says, you mean it, don't you? She comes around the counter to sit beside him. Have you ever given any thought to your life after I'm...gone? he asks. Not really, she says. Well, it's a great big world, and serving coffee in a hotel restaurant isn't much for a bright, attractive girl like you. She smiles. You've been sitting in a corner and brooding again, haven't you?--hey, I know what's eating at you--you did hear the rumor, didn't you?--I'm not worried about it--the sheriff is an honest, fair man, he's bound to realize you couldn't possibly have had anything to do with it--sit there--I'm going make us BOTH some coffee. No, he says, wait a minute--what rumor? About the decision from the coroner, says Maggie--I understand it's going to be homicide. Who told you this? he asks. I don't know, some customers, she says--it's all over town, I thought for sure you'd heard about it. No, he says. Like you said, just a lot of gabble gabble, she says. Let's have that coffee, he says. Believe me, she assures him, there are a couple of people in this town who have a lot more to worry about that you do. Sam winces.

Liz answers the foyer phone. It's Roger, who hasn't heard anything--all I know is the sheriff went to the coroner's office--how long ago was that?--if it was that long ago, we should have a decision very shortly, wouldn't you say?--of course, if I hear anything, I'll call you immediately--goodbye . Behind her, David sneaks downstairs. She asks where he's going now. For a walk, he says. I thought you'd be studying, she says. I will, I promise, he say, I just want some air. You can get all the air you want after your schoolwork, she says. Just five minutes? he begs. Not even one minute, she says--march back up those stairs. He gets to the top, then quietly races down and runs out when she's dialing the phone. He dashes away, Liz calling to him to come back here. He doesn't. A car pulls up. Patterson joins her. She tells him she was just going to call him. Here I am, he says--David was certainly in a hurry to get someplace. Yes he was, she says. He asks if he might come in. Certainly, she says. She follows him in, closing the doors.

Patterson is on the phone, telling Harry he's up at Collinwood--yes, I came right here from the coroner's office--just what you and I thought he would--I'll be here 15 minutes in case anything comes up. He hangs up and apologizes to Liz, he just likes the office to know where he is in case anyone wants to borrow a cup of sugar. I heard you just came from the coroner's office, says Liz, is that true?--had the coroner reached a decision? I know how close you and Bill Malloy were, he says, he wasn't just the manager of your fishing fleet and cannery, but that you were real old friends--what I'm doing is not regulation, but I figured there was no harm in coming directly to the person most interested in what happened to Bill. Then the matter IS settled, she says. If Bill was murdered, says Patterson--you would want the guilty person apprehended and punished,, wouldn't you, no matter who he was? Of course, she says. But you wouldn't want innocent people hounded and bothered if there was no need to, no matter how the facts appeared to you? he asks. No, of course, not says Liz. I'm glad to hear that, he says, and I hope the rest of the people in town feel that way, because I'd like to close the file on this case right now and forget it happened. Then the coroner doesn't think it was homicide? Asks Liz. No, he says, accidental death due to drowning. Liz sighs.
Then it's over, she says. Yes, he assures her, it's over. She doesn't look especially happy.

Maggie pours coffee for Sam as he complains that the trouble is, it will never end--no matter what the coroner decides. She calls him the leading pessimist of their time. And you are the worst waitress, he says, cleaning up the mess she made spilling coffee on the counter. David enters. That's David Collins, says Maggie. Roger's son? asks Sam. He's a cute kid, isn't he? asks Maggie. She goes over to David and asks if he came into town for ice cream. David says he's looking for Mr. Devlin. He's not in here, says Maggie. Sam listens intently. He's not in his hotel room, either, says David--I called him on the house phone and nobody answered. If it's that important, says Maggie, you can always leave a message with the desk clerk. That's all right, he says. She takes him over to meet her dad, promising him ice cream on the house. (She does give away the store, doesn't she?) You know what that means? she asks. Yes, it's free, he says, smiling. She asks his favorite flavor, and he says he doesn't want any right now--thank you anyway. Maggie introduces David, who doesn't want any ice cream, and Sam. How do you do? asks Sam, shaking David's hand. Hello, says David, grinning. Maggie orders him up on the chair, and Sam helps him. She's making him a super duper sundae whether he likes it or not. May I call you David? asks Sam. Sure, says David. Has anyone ever told you that you have a great smile? asks Sam. David shakes his head and says no. You have, and I'd love to paint it someday, says Sam. Are you an artist? asks David eagerly. Am I an artist? asks Sam--son, I can take a raging storm and turn it into something beautiful!--I can take a buttercup and breathe eternal life into it! You must be a genius! says David. Not quite, says Sam--how's your father these days? The smile leaves David's face. Oh, do you know him? he asks. In a manner of speaking, says Sam--how is he? He's all right, I guess, says David, I think I have to be going. Not so fast--what about your ice cream? asks Maggie. I don't think I have time, says David, standing. He shakes Sam's hand and tells him it was a pleasure to meet him. The pleasure was all mine, Sam assures him, and David leaves. Nice boy, says Sam. Yes, agrees Maggie, come on, Pop, go off your diet for today--she slides the sundae she made over to her father. Too bad he had to be part of that family, says Sam--they're really in for it. Come on, if you don't eat it, I will, says Maggie, and I shouldn't. Even if the rumor is wrong, says Sam, even if the coroner decides it's accidental death, it won't make any difference up at Collinwood. She takes a taste of the ice cream and asks why not--it will be over, won't it? Do you think so? asks Sam--do you think Burke will accept that--you watch
--if the coroner doesn't rule homicide, Burke will go on a rampage, and won't stop until there's nothing left--including the boy.

NOTES: Is Sam right? Now that we know the coroner ruled accidental death, will Burke take the law into his own hands? Sam and Roger will surely be relieved, but will it be because one of them has gotten away with murder?

Sam and Maggie treated David so nicely! He blooms when treated well, have you noticed? He has the potential to be a nice, normal kid, if treated with honesty and kindness. Sam was especially good with him, and probably figures he's nothing like his father.

Looks like Sam was worried for nothing, but small town rumors can be upsetting. He was concerned about Maggie's future, perhaps because he feared he wouldn't be around for her. Why?

Liz is so patient with David, tries so hard to love him, but he makes it very tough, especially his bad habit of just running off the way he always does.

Episode #74 - Collinwood stands alone on a hill above the town founded by the same family that built this great mansion--but undercurrents are there--undercurrents that stem from the anger of one man.

Burke unlocks and enters his room at the Inn. David pops out of the kitchen, startling him. Burke asks what the devil he's doing here. I came to see you, says David. Don't you knock on the door, call on the house phone? asks Burke--how many more of there are you? Just me, says David--I called on the house phone but you weren't in. So you decided to come up and wait, says Burke. Are you mad? asks David. A little bit, says Burke, not too much. I'm sorry, I thought you'd be glad to see me, says David. I am, Burke assures him, leading him to a seat on the sofa, it's good to see old friends on a day like today--tell me, how did you get in? It was easy, boasts David. Tell me about it, says Burke--the next person who sneaks in here might be a deadly enemy. He sits beside him. Like my father, you mean, says David. Come on, tell me what your secret is, says Burke. Remember the last time I tried to come in--the maid was cleaning and saw me? he asks--well this time, I waited until she was through cleaning in that room and went into the bedroom to clean--and I ran in, that's all. The front door was open? asks Burke. It's always open when the maid's cleaning, says David. Burke grins with admiration--hey, you had the place really cased, huh? David nods and smiles--pretty cool, wasn't it? It's also against the law, says Burke. No it wasn't, says David, nothing's against the law unless you get caught. Burke stares at him--who told you that?
You did, says David. I think I'd better get us both a cool drink, says Burke, gazing at David in consternation.

Burke hands David a "Burke Devlin special", and the boy grins. You remembered, says Burke. A lot of different fruit juices, all mixed together, says David, pronouncing it good. Better than that moral philosophy you say I taught you, says Burke. That what? asks David. I can't imagine myself ever telling you it was all right to do anything you wanted to as long as you could get away with it, says Burke. That's what you said, says David. I was wrong, says Burke. Did you ever kill anybody? asks David. Not that I remember, Burke says. I knew you didn't, says David--that's what I told my Aunt Elizabeth. You lost me, says Burke. That's what I came here for, says David--to tell you I knew you didn't kill Mr. Malloy. Who says I did? asks Burke. Aunt Elizabeth doesn't come right out and say it, says David, she doesn't even say it was murder. But she's thinking it, is that what you mean? asks Burke. Oh, she says that he fell off a cliff and drowned, says David, but she's really thinking he was murdered. In her mind, you mean? asks Burke. I know you didn't kill anybody anyway, says David. How do you know that, Davy? asks Burke. You didn't! says David. Burke nods--you're right, he says, and faith like that deserves a refill. He takes David's glass. You couldn't have, says David, because my father did--he killed Mr. Malloy!

Collinwood - Roger, overjoyed, bursts through the door. Liz! he cries as she comes downstairs--I couldn't believe it!--you'll have to excuse me, but right after you phoned, I rushed right home. It is good news, isn't it? asks Liz Good news! says Roger--the coroner's decision is the most wonderful news I've heard in years!--accidental death due to drowning--I think I'll have it cast in bronze--have you told anyone else about it? No, the sheriff left about half an hour ago, says Liz. I suppose it's all over Collinsport by now, exults Roger--oh, I would like to see the faces of one or two people--you know, it was generally believed to be homicide. I doubt very much if it's generally known yet, says Liz, the sheriff said it might be hours before the facts findings are made public. For you and me, it's all over! says Roger, all the questions and suspicions can be laid to rest, and at last poor Bill Malloy can rest in peace--tell me, Liz, he says, putting an arm around her, now that it's over--you were worried for me, weren't you? Should I have been? she asks. You harbored a teeny suspicion that I had something to do with Bill Malloy's death, he says, that's the truth, isn't it? There's no point in talking about it now, she says--it's over. Yes, he says, and now life can pursue its normal course! He goes into the drawing room. Liz doesn't look as sure--nor as happy.

Roger asks Liz if she will join him in a drink. I don't think so, she says. But this is a special occasion, come on, he begs. A moment ago, you asked me if I thought you were involved in Bill's death, she says--yes, it did cross my mind. Then you should be delighted to have been proved wrong, he says, pouring a drink. I'm delighted we don't have to face that problem any longer, she says, yes. All right then, he says, handing her a drink, let's toast to it--to the perception and judgment of the coroner--long may he hold his office. He drinks, Liz doesn't. She sits on the sofa and says she's beginning to wonder if she has as much to celebrate as he has. I can imagine that's true, says Roger--after all, the sheriff wasn't pressing down with you with all those questions. He sits beside her. An innocent man needn't be afraid of questions, she points out. Oh, for heavens sake, this is a happy day! says Roger--don't spoil it with soul-searching--please?--drink up. He holds up his glass., hoping she'll toast with him, but she abruptly puts down her glass, realizing she's forgotten all about David. That should make you happy in itself, he says. Seriously, I'm worried about him, she says. You seem determined to spoil my good mood, complains Roger. We had an argument and I sent him to his room, says Liz, then he ran out of the house just before the sheriff arrived. I think that's just what I'll do, says Roger, putting down his drink--a good turn on the cliff is just what this day requires--I'll see you in a while. What about David? she asks, he hasn't come back yet.
I leave the problem of my wandering son to you, dear sister, he says, making a grand gesture with his hands in her direction. We were talking about Burke Devlin, says Liz. I'll leave that problem to you, also, says Roger--today on this glorious day of days neither David nor David exists for me! And h grabs his hat and leaves the house, standing outside with his arms upswept with joy.

I knew it was my father the very day Mr. Malloy disappeared, David tells Burke--if I tell you how, you'll make fun of me. Have I ever before? asks Burke. No, says David--he looks out the window--they told me, the voice--it's true, they come into my room at night and talk to me--they told me my father did it. He sounds disturbed. I see, says Burke. I knew you wouldn't believe me, says David--I even saw it in the crystal ball. Burke puts a hand on David's shoulder, saying, "You're pretty lonely in that big old house, aren't you?" They talk to me, all the time, says David. I'm sure they do, says Burke. Then you believe me--about my father? asks David. Burke pats his shoulder and says let me put it that way, if I thought you were right, it would be a terrible thing for me to say to you. Because he's my father? asks David--I don't care--gee, Burke, I wish you could come up and live with me at Collinwood--we could have such fun together. Burke kneels so he's at eye level with David and tells him he doesn't think his Aunt Elizabeth would care for that very much. Maybe after this Malloy thing is cleared up, she'll change her mind, suggests David. I don't think so, says Burke--do you know what a coroner is?--he's a man who's going to make a big decision today--and when he does, your aunt and your father--especially your father--they aren't going to be very happy about it at all. He's the man who's going to say Mr. Malloy was murdered, says David--and somebody will have to go to jail for it. That's the man! says Burke--and that's exactly what he's going to say! Does that mean you can never come live at Collinwood? asks David, disappointed. I wouldn't say that, Burke assures him, I might surprise you--and your aunt--one of these days. You mean it? asks David, delighted. You bet I mean it! says Burke. Someone knocks and Burke tells David to take the glasses, go into the kitchen and fix them another concoction--he'll get rid of whoever it is that wants to bother us. He answers the door. It's Carolyn. Speak of angels and they appear! says Burke. I want to talk to you, says Carolyn, and she isn't smiling. I'm in the middle of a very important meeting, he says, but come in anyway. She does, not smiling--but he is.

I thought you said you were in the middle of a meeting, says Carolyn, carelessly tossing her coat on a chair. I am, says Burke. Where is she? asks Carolyn--in the bedroom? You are a girl with a suspicious, salacious mind, teases Burke. (I like his vocabulary.) If you must know, I really couldn't care less, she says, obviously lying. Good, then we can relax together, he says--why don't you sit down? of course Vicki Winters might be a little upset by it! says Carolyn nastily. Oh, I see, he says, you're worried about Vicki's interests--I'm glad to see she has such a good friend in you. My cousin's governess is no friend of mine, says Carolyn, but she's obviously very close to you! I see, says Burke, smelling the jealousy, you found out I drove her home this afternoon, is that it? Maybe, says Carolyn viciously, anyway, she'll be very happy t know about your little meeting! I'm glad you reminded me, says Burke, going to the closed kitchen door--honey, you can bring the drinks in now! He opens the door, remarking that his friend is a little shy. David comes out, drinks in his hands, and he hands one to Burke. Seeing his cousin, he asks, "What's SHE doing here?" Carolyn, surprised, asks David what HE'S doing here. Visiting my friend, says David. Does my mother know you came up here? demands Carolyn--you know how she feels about Mr. Devlin, you know she wouldn't want you to visit him. Then what are YOU doing here? asks David. Very good, Burke praises the boy--your turn, he tells Carolyn. Angry, she stomps a few feet away. Burke suggests the have his drink, and tells her it's very good. This is completely ridiculous, my standing here arguing with a nine year old boy! she cries, accepting the glass of juice from Burke. I agree, says Burke. You're as bad as he is--you're enjoying is, accuses Carolyn. You I must admit it is pretty funny, says Burke, smirking. Carolyn smiles, then begins to laugh. I suppose! she says. You win first prize in the smile contest, he says--now, what do you want to talk to me about? Carolyn asks David to go to the kitchen and fix Burke a drink. Uh-uh, he says, I'm going to stay right here and listen--and he plants his buns in a chair. Carolyn puts down the drink and asks Burke if he can't do something. He was here first, says Burke, besides, I think David would be interested in anything you have to say about Vicki Winters--wouldn't you, David? Why do you want to talk to Burke about Miss Winters? asks David. Carolyn crosses her arms over her chest and asks him why he must be so nosy. David laughs and says, "She's jealous, that's why." I am not! wails Carolyn--and I didn't come here to talk about her--I came to tell you about...Mrs. Johnson--I had a talk with Mother about her, and I think she's going to hire her. Who is Mrs. Johnson? Asks David. She WAS Mr. Malloy's housekeeper, says Carolyn, and Burke and I were talking about her coming to Collinwood to work--do you have anymore questions. Do you think she should work there? asks David. It's all Carolyn's idea, says Burke. Then I know I won't like her, says David. That's my sweet David, remarks Carolyn, shaking her head. Burke sends David into the kitchen, asking for three minutes alone with his cousin. Do I have to? asks David. No, but I'd appreciate it, says Burke, putting friendly hands on the boy's shoulders. OK, says David, and goes to the kitchen and closes the door. Why should it bother you so much that I drove Vicki home? he asks. Who said it bothered me? asks Carolyn, sitting on the sofa. You, he says--not in so many words, but that's why you're here, isn't it? Do you always flatter yourself that much? she asks. Let me tell you something, he says--I don't think I have to account to you for my actions, to you, Vicki or anyone. I hate you, she says vehemently. No you don't he says. Yes I do, she says, and I'm glad I gave you back your gift now. What gift? He asks. You don't even remember! she says, amazed. Oh, the pen! He says. Yes, the fountain pen you gave me the day we had lunch together in Bangor--you talked a little differently that day. I meant every word I said, he assures her. Did you? she asks, tell me, exactly what did you say? I don't remember, h admits. She makes a face and says, Uncle Roger was right, he told me I shouldn't accept gifts from you and he was absolutely right--I only hope the next girl you give that fountain pen to isn't as naive as I was! Burke chuckles and says that's the second time she's mentioned that pen. Angry, she grabs her coat and heads for the door, telling him she hopes he gets ink all over himself when he uses it. But I don't have it, he says. My uncle gave it back to you and you know it, she says. All I know is that I don't have it! he says. He said he was going to give it to you, she says. Maybe Uncle Roger kept it for himself, he suggests slyly. I'm serious, she says--it was the night Mr. Malloy died--Uncle Roger took the pen from me and said he was going to see to it that it got back to you. I think he had something else on his mind that night, says Burke. Are you sure he didn't give it to you? asks Carolyn. Absolutely positive, replies Burke--wait a minute, yes, now I remember, at the meeting at Roger's office, he did mention something about a pen--but he never gave it to me
--he said he didn't have it with him. Are you sure? asks Carolyn. David pops out of the kitchen, announcing that time's up. He couldn't have lost it, it was so expensive, says Carolyn. What was? asks David. Nothing important, says Burke. It's important to me, insists Carolyn. What is? asks David. Can't you ever mind your own business? she asks her cousin, her voice harsh--is there a phone in there? She asks, heading for the bedroom. Yes, says Burke, but if you're going to call Roger, don't bother--I couldn't care less! I'll be right back, says Carolyn, closing the door behind her. Burke laughs. Did I tell you she's a big pest? David asks him. I don't know which one of you takes the cake, says Burke--you or her. She's older, says David. And she's a girl, huh? says Burke. Right, agrees David--what's she so mad about--did my father lose something of hers? Whatever your father lost, I can replace, says Burke. She said it was very expensive, says David. With money, you can buy anything, Burke assures him. Carolyn exits the bedroom to report some wonderful news. What is it, the pen been returned? Asks Burke. It's about Mr. Malloy, says Carolyn, ecstatic--it's all over!--the whole mess is over--I just spoke to Mother--the sheriff came up there earlier today and told her--the coroner's decision was accidental death due to drowning. Are you sure? asks Burke. Yes, she says, grinning. Burke is pissed, and orders Carolyn to get David out of here--take him home. There won't be anymore suspicious, points out Carolyn, aren't you. . .? I TOLD YOU TO GET HIM OUT OF HERE, NOW DO IT! shouts Burke. Carolyn tells David they had better go, and without saying anything further, Carolyn and David leave. Burke pulls open the curtains, enraged, looking like he wants to tear them to shreds.

David and Carolyn return to Collinwood. Carolyn asks if Uncle Roger is around, and Liz says he went for a walk. Isn't it great, I'm so relieved! says Carolyn. We're all pleased, says Liz, then turns to David--but I'm not pleased with your behavior this afternoon, young man. I just went to see a friend, says David. Against my specific wishes, Liz reminds him, I told you not to leave this house and not to see Burke Devlin. Oh, Mother, says Carolyn, hugging Liz, this is no day to bawl anybody out--not even David. I don't like his choice of companions, says Liz. Tell him about it tomorrow, says Carolyn--right now we can all sit down and relax, there won't be anymore questions or suspicions, the whole mess is over and done with. You should like Uncle Roger, says Liz. I bet he is walking on air, says Carolyn. He is happy, says Liz. Why shouldn't he be? asks Carolyn--this is a great day for everybody. Except for Burke, says David--Carolyn, why don't you tell her how Burke reacted when he heard the news.

Sheriff's office - Patterson is warning Burke to calm down. I'll calm down when you explain to me by what unbalanced reasoning the coroner arrived at his decision. It was a decision based on the facts, insists Patterson. What facts? demands Burke, the fact that Malloy was murdered, or the fact that the Collins family still runs this town? Oh, you've tried that line on me before, says Patterson, and I don't like it! Let me tell you something, sheriff, rants Burke, I don't care that much what you like or don't like! Well you'd better start caring, warns Patterson. I was railroaded out of this town 10 years ago, says Burke, it was Collins money and Collins power that did it. They had nothing to do with the coroner's decision! insists Patterson. Don't try to sell me that! says Burke--Bill Malloy was murdered! Look, if you have evidence that I haven't heard, I'll be happy to listen to it, says Patterson. For what?--so you can put it away in the dead file with the rest of the case? Sneers Burke. I think you'd better get out of here, says the sheriff. What gets me, laments Burke, is how stupid I was to think for even five minutes that it wouldn't end this way. I'd better tell you once more, says Patterson--I gave a complete report of my investigation to the coroner, went in and answered his questions, and the HE and he alone came to the conclusion that Malloy was not murdered--no influence, no pressure--a simple study of the facts. Including the interesting observation that the family that hires the most people in this town, pays the most taxes, controls the most votes--was taken completely off the hook! I've got a lot of work to do, says Patterson, so I think you'd better get out of here. You think it's buried in the ground, don't you? asks Burke--buried like a dead man who died, accidentally, by drowning--let me tell you something--you're wrong?--it's out in the clear--still out in the clear! I think it might be a very good idea if you pack your bags and go back to New York, says Patterson. I don't think so, says Burke--and if you have any idea of running me out of town, remember, I can afford lawyers now that will chew you up into little pieces. Can't you just leave that family alone? demands the sheriff.
No! says Burke--I've been wearing gloves up until now, but I'm taking them off, and I don't care who knows it--you or them! And he storms from the police station, giving the sheriff a significant look first.

NOTES: We never saw Burke that angry before. He's determined to place the blame where he thinks it lies--one Roger Collins. I already know the outcome of this story, and it's a big surprise when it is resolved.

Roger is exultant; he's off the hook. The question is, does he deserve to be? What about Sam Evans? Are both of them innocent? Did Bill REALLY die accidentally? Will we ever find out for sure? Stay tuned!

Roger isn't being especially sensitive to Liz' feelings. Her good friend--someone who might even have been her lover years ago--is dead. All Roger cares about is that the sheriff isn't arresting him for murdering Malloy. That there is a genuine reason to feel sorrow over the loss of someone so valuable, both personally and business-wise, to the family, but this seems to have flown right over Roger's head.

David adores Burke, and you can see why. Like Maggie and Sam, he treats him with respect and genuine liking. David needs that, but Roger doesn't want to give it to him, even now. Sad thing.

It WAS a hilarious scene in Burke's hotel room, with the feudin' Collins cousins both in the Bad Man's lair. You had to laugh when they each asked the other what he/she was doing there. Carolyn IS jealous, and David knows it--and so does Burke. Will he now use her in his plan to ruin the Collins family? Will he use David because he's so angry at the outcome of the coroner's verdict?

Love, Robin