Author Topic: Does He or Doesn't He?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Does He or Doesn't He?
« on: April 13, 2003, 08:22:52 AM »
When Julia was talking to Prof.Stokes awhile back in the old house basement (when Barnabas disappeard) she mentioned to the Professor that she had to go back to the past herself in order to save David & Chris.

So, I was under the impression that the Professor knew all about Chris and his secret.

Now, however it appears that the Professor doesn't have a clue about Chris and the werewolf curse.  So does he know or doesn't he? [idontknow]

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Does He or Doesn't He?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 10:43:25 AM »
Now, however it appears that the Professor doesn't have a clue about Chris and the werewolf curse.  So does he know or doesn't he? [idontknow]

As far as what we've been led to believe in the storylines, Stokes doesn't. But if you want my personal opinion, I believe Stokes was far too perceptive not to put together a lot of the clues that have been carelessly dangled in front of him (or outright smacked him upside the head - like when Stokes helped Julia dig up Barnabas' coffin after she and Willie had buried Barnabas in one of the numerous "unmarked graves in the woods" ;)). I think Stokes just doesn't let on all that he knows, or at least strongly suspects. :-X

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 12:38:58 PM »
Hello,  Cassandra i would of thought the
same thing about Stokes , I'm surprised she
didn't mention Count Petofi to him!!
          Love U Anne :-* 8)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2003, 01:25:28 PM »
I'm with MB on this one. Let's face it, Barnabas, Julia, and Willie are far from being good liars. Unlike the rest of the characters, Stokes does not have that denial thing going on, so yeah, I think he's probably got a pretty good idea of the situation.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 08:32:02 AM »
I'm with MB on this one. Let's face it, Barnabas, Julia, and Willie are far from being good liars. Unlike the rest of the characters, Stokes does not have that denial thing going on, so yeah, I think he's probably got a pretty good idea of the situation.

I agree, I think he surely must have known alot of the stange happenings that were going on around him but after getting repeated answers of "I know nothing" from Julia and Barnabas he knew he wouldn't be getting anywhere.
I also found it a strange coincidence that he just happened to take an interest in Sabrina Stuart's case and also decided to be a kind of councelor to her. Maybe he knew all along that Chris had something to do with her condition.

MB wrote:
I believe Stokes was far too perceptive not to put together a lot of the clues that have been carelessly dangled in front of him (or outright smacked him upside the head - like when Stokes helped Julia dig up Barnabas' coffin after she and Willie had buried Barnabas in one of the numerous "unmarked graves in the woods" ). I think Stokes just doesn't let on all that he knows, or at least strongly suspects

That's a good way of putting it MB.  The man was way too smart not to figure it out.   This especially after they buried Barnabas and then the Professor helped Julia to dig him up. That whole ordeal must have looked pretty darn strange to him, especially since none of the family members had even been told of Barnabas' sudden death!  Then suddenly Adam recovers and just as quickly Julia asks Stokes to help dig up Barnabas because it just dawned on her that he is okay too!!

It's too bad though that they never really confided in him. He could have probably been a big help to them had they only realized this.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 09:47:48 AM »
I don't think Stokes would have helped Barn and Jules if he knew what was really going on and what awful things each of them had done (and would do). I think he had too strong a sense of morality. It was best he be kept somewhat in the dark about things.

dom

PS - Before you ask, Connie, dear: Murder, murder, and murder. ;) [lol2] :-*

Connie

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 10:29:27 AM »
PS - Before you ask, Connie, dear: Murder, murder, and murder. ;) [lol2] :-*

Huh??  Come again?  What are you referring to??  LOL

Actually, I had a question I've been wondering about for awhile.  Did Stokes EVER know about Quentin -- that he was the original, etc.?

-CLC

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 12:44:38 PM »
I'm also of the school that Professor Timothy Eliot Stokes did figure things out, but decided not to let on.  The man is, after all, a professor with a professional interest in the occult and very observant.

Eliot:  "Very well, Julia.  We'll discuss this with Barnabas.  I'll meet you at the Old House after sundown tonight, as is par for the course."

Julia (Speaking very nervously, with that I've-been-caught smile while playing with the top of her blouse):  "Why, Eliot; what....what ever do you mean?"

Gerard

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003, 02:39:39 PM »
I don't think Stokes would have helped Barn and Jules if he knew what was really going on and what awful things each of them had done (and would do). I think he had too strong a sense of morality. It was best he be kept somewhat in the dark about things.

dom

I don't know how strong Prof. Stokes sense of morality is.  He hid Adam knowing what he probably was capable of.  He placed a phone call to his doctor about Adam's gunshot wounds and said he was sure of the doctors discretion.  Any other doctor he knew who was ethical would have reported the gunshot wounds to the police.  He acted as if he knew the doctor well enough to know he would not report Adams injuries.  Why would Prof. Stokes have such a relationship with a doctor?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2003, 03:32:28 PM »
   I don't know how strong Prof. Stokes sense of morality is.  He hid Adam knowing what he probably was capable of.  He placed a phone call to his doctor about Adam's gunshot wounds and said he was sure of the doctors discretion.  Any other doctor he knew who was ethical would have reported the gunshot wounds to the police.  He acted as if he knew the doctor well enough to know he would not report Adams injuries.  Why would Prof. Stokes have such a relationship with a doctor?

Because of his HMO?

Gerard

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 04:41:50 PM »
Because of his HMO?

LOL!!!  That's really a good one, Gerard - and tragically, it's too true.  :-

I think Professor Stokes knew something wasn't right; but not sure if he knew the truth about Chris.  Seems like just before the 1897 trip Stokes confronted Julia about some shady doings.  She put him off with the "I'll explain later - not now," and he finished by saying "but you never do explain, do you?"

After the whole Adam thing, and given his interest in the occult and knowledge of Angelique/Cassandra's witchiness, Stokes HAD to know that Julia and Barnabas were up to their elbows in supernatural shenanigans.  It's fun to speculate as to the extent of his knowledge/suspicions.  And it's too bad the writers never fully developed him as an ally to Barnabas & Julia - those three running around together would've been the best!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2003, 06:05:08 PM »
Whatever Stokes himself knows, it's clear that he keeps his own counsel (and with friends like Barn and Jules, how could one do otherwise?)

The writers make it clear that Julia STILL acts as if she believes Stokes knows nothing about Barnabas' history, not to speak of Chris, in an unfortunate scene late in the game in the 1840 storyline, a scene I had eagerly looked forward to seeing again as an adult viewer, but turned out to be something of a disappointment (though since it was one of the last good scenes Thayer and Grayson did together on the show, I do get the tape out and play it from time to time).

There is a FABULOUS scene coming up in a week or 2 where Stokes tells Julia she needs to start being more "realistic" (or something along those lines) about Barnabas.

Gothick

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 07:50:27 PM »

Good point, onyx_treasure.

dom

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2003, 12:03:21 AM »
And it's too bad the writers never fully developed him as an ally to Barnabas & Julia - those three running around together would've been the best!

On the other hand, this creates more ambiguity -- which makes the characterizations and situations more real-life and interesting.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2003, 09:19:46 AM »

I found that strange too as I can't imagine any doctor (other than Dr.Lang) who would do this and not report it.
I think that way down inside the Professor really believed that Adam wasn't all that bad and also wasn't the murderer/monster that everyone had made him out to be. Otherwise, I doubt he would even consider helping him.  I think it was also a more scientific interest on his part because he knew Adam wasn't really human and probably wanted to learn more about him.

I hated the whole ending of that story and how one day Adam went into the  Professor's closet to hide and was never seen or heard from again.

Gothick wrote:
The writers make it clear that Julia STILL acts as if she believes Stokes knows nothing about Barnabas' history, not to speak of Chris,

I just found it odd that Julia should mention to Prof.Stokes (when Barnabas' body disappeared from the old house basement)  that now she was the one who had to go back to the past in order to save David & Chris.  This had originally led me to believe that the Professor knew all about Chirs.  Now however I guess it was just another blunder on the writer's part.
"Calamity Jane"